What's new

Kitana General Discussion

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I was really expecting this patch to make kitana feel more like kitana and tbh they moved even further than what I consider kitana to play like

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
The only way i would go back to Fan Fare is if she got pre-patch Sonya tier damage or something.

But i feel like without a major rebalacing of her abilities Fan Fare will stay irrelevant and her third variation will be some kind of gimmick or just straight bad.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
My only issues with kitana:
  • She needs a meter less launcher
  • b3,4 should be able to connect with a fan
  • Her sai should have way faster recovery so you can actual use it as a trap for pressure (how else can you hit people?)

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I don't understand this forum. You asked for a better character. You got one. Now you're complaining that she plays unlike Kitana. As long as she is tournament viable, which she seems to be the case, who cares what she plays like? Besides, Kitana has always been a footsies and zoning character, at least in the 3D Mortal Kombat games, and Highborn stays true to this gameplay style.

dph1990

Noob
I don't understand this forum. You asked for a better character. You got one. Now you're complaining that she plays unlike Kitana. As long as she is tournament viable, which she seems to be the case, who cares what she plays like? Besides, Kitana has always been a footsies and zoning character, at least in the 3D Mortal Kombat games, and Highborn stays true to this gameplay style.
I can’t speak for anyone else, but I honestly don’t care how good she is. I just want her to feel like Kitana, and she doesn’t.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
She’s boring though, Dave.

And yes she’s good. We understand that. A lot of us want to be able to use Fan Fare though since that’s the variation that’s plays somewhat like how she’s meant to be played.
Like...sub zero still wins trades because of ice ball. That’s been his thing. Scorpion still has a teleport to get around zoning. That’s been his thing. Sonya is still a mixup machine. That’s been her thing.

Kitana has always been about controlling the air and zoning/conversions. She doesn’t have that this time around, which makes no sense when the above characters kept their core gameplay and she didn’t. There’s even characters in this game who can convert from their projectiles while she can’t. Fan toss is also one of the worst projectiles in the game, which is sad because fan toss used to be one of the best projectiles in previous games.

So now we have highborn, which is good, don’t get me wrong. It’s just...not her. I’m doing more than fine with her but idk...her play style is so linear and basic.

In her kombat kast, they presented her as this “combo queen” and said she still plays the same as before. That’s not the case at all.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
Obviously we want a good Kitana that plays like Kitana. If the only thing we cared about was how good she was then we could all just migrate to Liu or Geras.

Right now we have Poor Man's Kitana and Viable Great Value Mileena.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
For the other NRS games kitana has had the same conversion concept: 1 air fan, 1 standard fan, and 1 fan lift per combo. That’s what made her fun, that even though she had her BNBs and Optimal combos, you could get creative in the moment such as hitting an air fan by chance.

It baffles me that there are characters like Sonya, Baraka, and others who can get insane combo potential. Kitana almost always has been a mid range character where you can be safe and get large combos despite not having the most solid mixes or being the fastest.

This time around, they gave her those weaknesses and in my opinion took out the best strength of hers: the combos. And we can argue that mk11 doesn’t play like other mk games and that it isn’t combo centric, but then I present scorpion who now you have to MB his chain and his teleport, which I’m fine with it I could do that with kitana. She has her meterless fan lift, but without fan toss conversions that’s not super helpful.

My problem with the highboen variation is that it plays far too formulaic for me. Other than b231, b142, D3, and her variation move that removes her fun fan lift combos, there isn’t a whole lot of “Kitana” there. It’s just the same standard combo, no creativity.

TLDR: if she had her combos (think upward toss) and she had her flutter still, she would FEEL like kitana. I don’t know if she would be good, but it would solve the identity crisis i face playing as her

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
She’s boring though, Dave.

And yes she’s good. We understand that. A lot of us want to be able to use Fan Fare though since that’s the variation that’s plays somewhat like how she’s meant to be played.
Like...sub zero still wins trades because of ice ball. That’s been his thing. Scorpion still has a teleport to get around zoning. That’s been his thing. Sonya is still a mixup machine. That’s been her thing.

Kitana has always been about controlling the air and zoning/conversions. She doesn’t have that this time around, which makes no sense when the above characters kept their core gameplay and she didn’t. There’s even characters in this game who can convert from their projectiles while she can’t. Fan toss is also one of the worst projectiles in the game, which is sad because fan toss used to be one of the best projectiles in previous games.

So now we have highborn, which is good, don’t get me wrong. It’s just...not her. I’m doing more than fine with her but idk...her play style is so linear and basic.

In her kombat kast, they presented her as this “combo queen” and said she still plays the same as before. That’s not the case at all.
Just saying, her reveal trailer where she showed off these crazy fan combos is a lie. But man.. it looks sssoo cool

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I'm sorry, when I see her Highborn variation all I see is Mileena, her playstyle is even Mileena like, her zoning is ok but what makes it good are the counterzoning options it has, this plays nothing like Kitana. Hell, not even Fan Fare plays like Kitana but at least she's not borrowing moves from dead bitches. If they would've made Fan Fare better everyone would be happy,no one gives a hell about Highborn, of course people will use it now but not because they think it's cool, I can bet you that and a lot of people like connecting with a character.

To this day idk wtf is edenian razors, it has to be the cringiest move in the entire game. It makes ZERO sense, the pose it ugly and it's not cool at all, if it wasn't op nobody would even want that ever.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
The thing about Kitana is that she has always had a massive loyalist following - more than most characters. The vast majority of Kitana players want her to have a similar feel to how she has always played in every game rather than being top tier. Don't get me wrong... people still want a viable character, they just don't want to play a second rate Mileena or a character that does not feel like her.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Everyone, including me, has to accept the fact that certain characters play very differently in comparison to previous installments. Sub Zero has no ice clone so he plays significantly more offensive, Noob's tackle has limited use for zoning so he also plays considerably more offensive, Jacqui plays nothing like full auto Jacqui, etc. Each of these communities has stopped complaining and accepted the characters for what they are. The Kitana community ought to do the same.

Fan toss is also one of the worst projectiles in the game, which is sad because fan toss used to be one of the best projectiles in previous games.
The fan toss is worse in comparison to previous versions of the move. Likewise, Kabal's aerial buzzsaws are not as good as aerial gas blasts and Shang Tsung's hellsparks are not as good as Shinnok's. You keep subconsciously using prior Mortal Kombat games as a point of reference when Mortal Kombat 11 has its own meta and follows its own set of rules.

I think fan toss is one of the better projectiles. Its large hitbox really stands out. I wish the amplified fan toss were a mid attack. Otherwise I have no complaints. The move does what it is supposed to do.

And remember that Noob was advertised as a "premier zoning character" and Shao Kahn as "Doomsday". LOL. NRS's labels almost mean nothing at this point.

My problem with the highboen variation is that it plays far too formulaic for me. Other than b231, b142, D3, and her variation move that removes her fun fan lift combos, there isn’t a whole lot of “Kitana” there. It’s just the same standard combo, no creativity.
This criticism is fair because the whole game lacks creativity and self-expression. When I watch Ninja Killer use Liu Kang in Mortal Kombat X, I know that he is playing because of the fancy combos and the consistent run cancels. In Mortal Kombat 11, I have no idea who is behind the controller because every Liu Kang player does around 20 f+4s, 10 1,2s, and 5 throws a round. The same formula applies to the vast majority of characters, including Kitana who uses razors for pressure and combos over and over again.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
I think a simple answer to this issue is legit just make EX fan a combo starter so now it s universal combo starter

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I think all of us need to start using less of B231 due to the fact that jumping it on read or not is death for Kitana. Highborne is forgiving because you have B2 into razors as a safe check as well as Sai Toss and razors on hit to jail into B231 but fanfare doesn't.

Honestly using B13, especially in the corner, seems to be her best string now because it puts us at the distance we want to be, has a flawless block mindgame, and is still is special cancelable on hit/block. The best part? If you stagger with B1 and they jump, you can convert easily with 12, or d3. Completing the string on an air borne opponent almost always connects the last hit and even the first two hits can be converted in fanfare and highborne with ease on a grounded or airborne opponent too.

STK

Beso de Muerte + Fantasía Oscura
Besides KB on both throws im hope she gets some reduced scaling after fan lift to help her combos and a fix to FB u2/3 wiffing.

I would love highborn sai to either be overhead or still come out on hit but i have a better chance of the KB throws before that happens if any changes at all...

Perfect world b2 would be 15f or plus1 and b1 12f. Time to wake up lol

Last edited: