What's new

Kitana General Discussion

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
I think all of us need to start using less of B231 due to the fact that jumping it on read or not is death for Kitana. Highborne is forgiving because you have B2 into razors as a safe check as well as Sai Toss and razors on hit to jail into B231 but fanfare doesn't.

Honestly using B13, especially in the corner, seems to be her best string now because it puts us at the distance we want to be, has a flawless block mindgame, and is still is special cancelable on hit/block. The best part? If you stagger with B1 and they jump, you can convert easily with 12, or d3. Completing the string on an air borne opponent almost always connects the last hit and even the first two hits can be converted in fanfare and highborne with ease on a grounded or airborne opponent too.
B13(1) is actually my primary string since it was a safe, hitconfirmable option for when i was using Fan Fare. I also like the mind game attached to the gap before the 1 ender.

But really it just being a faster mid option when you are close than b2 is a big help.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I know Highborn is better by far now but I just hate it! I’m trying to get comfortable with it, but it just doesn’t feel fun to me. Ugh.
That's my feeling. It's just unfun to play. Like the least fun variation of any character I've tried. I couldn't tell you why, it's just not at all how I would want to play and even less how I would want to play her.

I know 3/4 of the Kitana fan club thinks this version of K is strange and too different in general, but I really took to Fanfare. I like and enjoy how she plays, and I really don't care about where it falls. I'm going to stick it out because I can. It's the one benefit of being bad, in that those fancy lists don't matter.

When it comes to this Lui Kang thing everyone is going in circles on, is there a decent option that covers Low Fireball and MB Low Fireball? I play a bit of Radien as well, and what's nice there is if they go for a fireball ender at all, d2 will land either way. If he is out of meter then it's safe to go for a full combo, but there is a universal option when they have bar. With her, the only thing I can find is d4 and there is a really good chance he will be too far away to force him to hold the frame advantage. It's hard to discourage anyone from F4'ing to infinity when they gate in to massive damage and my "don't do that" option boils down to I hope you don't have meter or I'm just going to have to d4 into MB fans and hope you are mashing hard enough to not block them, so I can get a little space.

armani

Noob
The same way I felt about MKX Kitana is the same way I feel about MK11 Kitana. It seems like Netherrealm ran out of time designing her before the game went gold. There’s this jarring level of incompleteness to her that I just don’t get. Compare Jacqui, Kabal, Cetrion to Kitana and scales are tipped out of Kitana’s favor. Each character in MK11 fits an archetype, have their own feel, and an arsenal of usable moves.

With Kitana, it’s just odd to me that
  • fan toss is a SHIT projectile, has long recovery, and can only be successfully useable as an anti air in rare occasions
  • b231343 can’t be used as a combo ender
  • 21343 feels pointless (no combo-ability, can’t throw an air fan afterwards)
  • 3212 feels pointless (she flails her arms at the opponent lmaoo)
  • 21222 can’t be used as a combo ender
  • f234 is a dial up combo
  • b231 is a dial up combo
  • b1 is slow
  • b2 is slower
  • FB u2 has really poor range
The list goes on. In MK11 & MKX Kitana got the short end of the stick, and it might be because NRS knows there is more of a cult like following behind the character. The focus may not be there cause they know that we’re still gonna play her anyway. Either way I’m pissed and that third variation better have up fan.

I second the “Great Value Mileena” comment cause that’s wtf we got. I’m annoyed as hell

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Besides KB on both throws im hope she gets some reduced scaling after fan lift to help her combos and a fix to FB u2/3 wiffing.

I would love highborn sai to either be overhead or still come out on hit but i have a better chance of the KB throws before that happens if any changes at all...

Perfect world b2 would be 15f or plus1 and b1 12f. Time to wake up lol

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Man how do you even buff Fan Fare without also buffing Highborn? Buffing Square Wave, Lift, and bum ass Royal Protection?
You shouldn’t be able to breakaway from lift imo. You’re in a captive state. You can’t breakaway from Geyser so idk why you can do it for lift

But yes this creates a problem. No matter what buffs kitana gets, highborn will ALWAYS be better. Fan fare will have to get completely overworked.

Last edited:

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
I think the problem is ground war. It's clearly supposed to be a default part of her kit and only affects one move in Fan Fare.

Make grounded square wave a regular kit move and either replace ground war with a real ability or change it so that it actually does something that can make Fan Fare stand out.

Or maybe combine horizontal and regular flutter into one ability?

Last edited:

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
The changes she needs are actually universal imo sadly so I really hope they nerf edenian razors and buff what she actually needed to begin with. Just make razors -6 at best and more consistent and take away the dumb chip.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
The changes she needs are actually universal imo sadly so I really hope they nerf edenian razors and buff what she actually needed to begin with. Just make razors -6 at best and more consistent and take away the dumb chip.
No because if she got universal changes, Highborn will still be better by default. Like if she got an 11f b1, cool. The changes would help fan fare but Highborn does what fan fare does and more.

Fan fare needs to be reworked.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
If we're reworking Fanfare then I propose this:

-Royal Protection buff now lasts until Fan Toss is performed

-Fan Toss while Royal Protection buff is active has more pushback on block (Similar to Raijin Raiden)

-New KB that triggers on AMP Fan Toss if Royal Protection is active.

-The new KB keeps them suspended in the air (similar to Kung Lao's F214 KB) and allows us to combo off of it.

On Paper this simple change would do the following to Fan Fare's viability:

- Allow her to get one use of a fan juggle from anywhere, including midscreen

- Significantly boost her damage, especially in the corner, due to lift and Quick Execution KB still being accessible in addition to the Royal Protection buff still being active until you decide to cash out.

- Your opponent can still break out of the Fan Toss KB, Fan Lift, etc.

- Reset Neutral at the end of any string with increased Fan Toss pushback

The only downsides are that you'd have to rely on your opponent's projectile and sacrifice the Royal Projection buff if you throw a projectile back. Of course this would also be very good for counter zoning because the KB would let you combo two AMP Fan Tosses but that'd come down to you losing huge damage potential.

Your thoughts, sisters?

DarksydeDash

@Edmund Who said highborne? LMFAO you guys are on drugs. Kitanas normals are actually very good ok? thats what i mean.
You can have "good normals" but that doesn't make a good character.

If those normals lead to strings that have gaps, unsafe, poor hitboxes, not including any combo ability or pushback on block, then the answer is simple:

You sit there and block, Kitana's turn is over. Where Highborne fixes this is your opponent takes massive chip damage and creates mindgames via stance cancels. Fanfare has nothing like that so it suffers via always losing your turn.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6

-Fan Toss while Royal Protection buff is active has more pushback on block (Similar to Raijin Raiden)

-The new KB keeps them suspended in the air (similar to Kung Lao's F214 KB) and allows us to combo off of it.

- Significantly boost her damage, especially in the corner, due to lift and Quick Execution KB still being accessible in addition to the Royal Protection buff still being active until you decide to cash out.

The only downsides are that you'd have to rely on your opponent's projectile and sacrifice the Royal Projection buff if you throw a projectile back. Of course this would also be very good for counter zoning because the KB would let you combo two AMP Fan Tosses but that'd come down to you losing huge damage potential.

Your thoughts, sisters?
I think this idea of Royal Protection > buffed fan toss has potential.

Make buffed toss give more hit advantage(so its not negatuve on hit lol) and maybe make the amp KB?

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord

Your thoughts, sisters?
That is actually pretty ridiculous. idk if you knew this but if she parries 6 projectiles AMP fan tos does like 35%, if she could save that...... Yeah, no.

She doesn't even need those extra combos, just change her dial strings, make MB fan a mid and MAYBE make B1 11 frames, and nerf Highborn. Wheter that would play like classic Kitana or not is whatever, fan combos are not even what she needs imo.

DarksydeDash

That is actually pretty ridiculous. idk if you knew this but if she parries 6 projectiles AMP fan tos does like 35%, if she could save that...... Yeah, no.

She doesn't even need those extra combos, just change her dial strings, make MB fan a mid and MAYBE make B1 11 frames, and nerf Highborn. Wheter that would play like classic Kitana or not is whatever, fan combos are not even what she needs imo.
Ah, forgot about that. Buff stacking would definitely need to be removed

DarksydeDash

Highborne itself is only good because of the special moves given to it. Touching anything else would kill fanfare even more.