What's new

Kitana General Discussion

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Didn’t expect anyone asking for buff. She’s great the way she is now. At least thats my day 1 expression. I’d like a better walk back speed since she has nothing to offer with her pokes. D3 is garbage, d1 is too slow to trade, d4 is nice midscreen but again, useless in the corner. Backdash is one of the worst in the game. Maybe block and throw works?

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Didn’t expect anyone asking for buff. She’s great the way she is now. At least thats my day 1 expression. I’d like a better walk back speed since she has nothing to offer with her pokes. D3 is garbage, d1 is too slow to trade, d4 is nice midscreen but again, useless in the corner. Backdash is one of the worst in the game. Maybe block and throw works?
Play a Sub-Zero who knows what they are doing and you will beg you had a mid hitting AMP fan toss.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
I’d gladly face 20 Kano’s and Jax’s before 1 Sub Zero. At least they have things you can punish and have to play footsies. Sub Zero just controls every aspect of the match.
Sub has more things to punish than those two, actually. But yeah, I feel ya. 50/50 will be 50/50. Still, any advice on the poke wars?

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
Sub has more things to punish than those two, actually. But yeah, I feel ya. 50/50 will be 50/50. Still, any advice on the poke wars?
Disagree. Kitana can only punish the following from Sub Zero:

• hop 3
  • f24
  • Ice Ball
  • Amp Ice Ball
  • Cold Shoulder
  • Amp Cold Shoulder
  • Air Polar Axe
  • Death-Cicle Barrage
  • Slide
  • Fatal Blow
Basically, don’t use f24 or a special and she can’t touch Sub Zero.

Meanwhile, she can punish the following from Kano:

• b2
  • f2
  • f3
  • hop 1
  • hop 3
  • Amp Blade Toss
  • Black Dragon Ball
  • Amp Black Dragon Ball
  • Air Black Dragon Ball
  • Chemical Burn
  • Lumbar Check
  • Fatal Blow
And in the case of the 112/11~command grab mixup, you can defend both options by attempting to flawless block 112 as if it were a low. You don’t even have to successfully flawless block, just release block, duck, block again. You can even option select a d2 so that if they choose 11~command grab, they get punished.

And Jax:

• b1
  • b2
  • b3
  • f3
  • hop 1
  • hop 3
  • 22d4 note: if you crouch block standing 2, 22 will whiff despite it being a mid. You can d3 after standing 2 to stuff any followup. It is also possible to d2 after standing 2, but if they continue into 22d4, your d2 will likely whiff.
  • f2d4
  • b321+2
  • Gotcha Grab
  • Duck And Weave~Rag Dollin’
  • Amp Duck And Weave
  • Thumper
  • Amp Thumper
  • Up Thumper
  • Amp Up Thumper
  • Stiff Armed
  • Fatal Blow

Low gun shot can suck a dick
Yeah, I ended up playing two Sets against the character, simply the Hard AI and not a real opponent, yesterday, and I oft felt like I could barely touch her. That wasn't true, of course, but I definitely had my butt handed to me. Lost 1-3 as Fan-Fare, then 2-3 as Highborn.

I had a lot of trouble with her fast advancing normals.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Yeah, I ended up playing two Sets against the character, simply the Hard AI and not a real opponent, yesterday, and I oft felt like I could barely touch her. That wasn't true, of course, but I definitely had my butt handed to me. Lost 1-3 as Fan-Fare, then 2-3 as Highborn.

I had a lot of trouble with her fast advancing normals.
Highborn does better simply because of the teleport. But that’s pretty much it. It’s an annoying MU for sure and I wouldn’t be surprised if kitana lost

Last edited:
Highborn does better simply because of the teleport. But that’s pretty much it. It’s an annoying MUs for sure and I wouldn’t be surprised if kitana lost
Yeah, I did use that (her Teleport) to get in a bit more. Thanks, as always, for the general feedback!

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
If you thinks she needs buffs I hate to say it but then maybe this character is not for you? Lol

I understand people not liking her play style but she is a very good character and she feels extremely well balanced.

I would like MB fan toss to be a mid and pretty much that’s all I’d like and I don’t think that would do much for her other than getting chip damage for a bar.

The incoming nerfs to the top tiers are going to help her a lot as well.

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
If you thinks she needs buffs I hate to say it but then maybe this character is not for you? Lol

I understand people not liking her play style but she is a very good character and she feels extremely well balanced.

I would like MB fan toss to be a mid and pretty much that’s all I’d like and I don’t think that would do much for her other than getting chip damage for a bar.

The game would be much better off if the top tiers were more on her level opposed to the opposite, for sure. People see the ridiculousness of Sub Zero, Erron Black, Sonya, etc and immediately think, “we should have that too!”.

That said, I do feel she could use several small improvements. I’ve already outlined them previously. Nothing too outlandish, in my opinion. The lack of anti air conversions from fan toss I’d be okay with if it wasn’t for characters like Liu Kang being able to do it when traditionally it’s been Kitana’s staple trait. Kitana also has a lot of strings that seemingly serve no purpose and I’d like that looked into as well (in fact, there’s a lot of this going around for many characters that I feel needs addressed).

But calling for damage buffs, overhead starters, etc, is overkill. If anything, every player should be calling for the hit/hurt box issues to be addressed before any nerfs/buffs take place. That alone would shift balance all over the place.

I'm so salty. FUUUUCK the Kang matchup. My only gleam of hope in this matchup is I know to flawless block his f43u3 kick bullshit but Kitana's FB launcher reversal can't punish it

;____;

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I'm so salty. FUUUUCK the Kang matchup. My only gleam of hope in this matchup is I know to flawless block his f43u3 kick bullshit but Kitana's FB launcher reversal can't punish it

;____;
Oh trust me, I've been complaining about it since day one.

One change I'd like to see for Highborn and Seeking Sai is that if you get hit after tossing the Sai, it doesn't disappear and still completes it's path to its target.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
People keep complaining about how trash her u2 is (which it is) but you guys do realize that you can flawless block and still go for a string right? A lot of moves in this game are even more punishable on block after a flawless block so instead of going for u2, just go for a combo starter.

Now for the ones that are still safe or even plus after a flawless block, we only have u3 lol (u2 if our backs are in the corner).

Does anyone know of some good videos about using the Highborn variation? It feels completely clunky and useless to me, but there are a lot of folks going on about how good it is and I'd like to see what it is I'm doing wrong with it.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
One change I'd like to see for Highborn and Seeking Sai is that if you get hit after tossing the Sai, it doesn't disappear and still completes it's path to its target.
I honestly don’t even play that variation but I do think it has some inconsistencies and I of course would like that to be changed. Like the fan pose being +10 on one side of the screen lol...

I honestly don’t even play that variation but I do think it has some inconsistencies and I of course would like that to be changed. Like the fan pose being +10 on one side of the screen lol...
Yeah, Edenian Razor is a little wonky. I don't use it too much, and usually just in the corners to somewhat stuff get ups.

I typically play Highborn more as a space control and zoning character, and I find she does that quite well. I find you can keep the opponent Blocking for a bit by mixing up Fan Throws and Seeking Sais (thus my desire to see it not get canceled if you get hit), and in my experience, Gutted is significantly better than Quick Execution.

Note I've only played against the AI thus far, so your mileage may vary.