What's new

Kitana General Discussion

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
Mkx vanilla was awful don’t even compare to this Kitana a least she safes and have more than one string lol
Mkx vanilla had b+14 which was +4 on block and way better in almost every way to current b+2 except some range which f+2 beat
Also she had an amazing damage output and the exact same "zoning" as current kitana. The only thing current kitana has that's better from mkx kitana is b+3 as a starter.

Ex fans are the exact same except you can combo from it in mkx, lift was better in mkx you could anti-air with it and still get combos in most scenarios if you d1 anti-air someone. If she did stuff like normal float normal she was + on the way down now she's - on block on it. She had damage and good conversions off of stuff.

So yeah, mkx was better then b+231/b+142/b+131 and occasional fan toss the character.

DarkSado

Noob
Mkx vanilla had b+14 which was +4 on block and way better in almost every way to current b+2 except some range which f+2 beat
Also she had an amazing damage output and the exact same "zoning" as current kitana. The only thing current kitana has that's better from mkx kitana is b+3 as a starter.

Ex fans are the exact same except you can combo from it in mkx, lift was better in mkx you could anti-air with it and still get combos in most scenarios if you d1 anti-air someone. If she did stuff like normal float normal she was + on the way down now she's - on block on it. She had damage and good conversions off of stuff.

So yeah, mkx was better then b+231/b+142/b+131 and occasional fan toss the character.
b+14 was plus 4 but then what go for a d1 that's -10 on block Lmao only viable option was throw and damage means nothing If your frame is ass perfect example is radien in injustice 2 had good damage but everything was ass that's why he was low tier in the beginning.

MK-Gray

Do you even (fan) lift?
b+14 was plus 4 but then what go for a d1 that's -10 on block Lmao only viable option was throw and damage means nothing If your frame is ass perfect example is radien in injustice 2 had good damage but everything was ass that's why he was low tier in the beginning.
I sort of agree, but the fact that jumping stuffs B231 and we're beginning to see characters like Kang abuse minute gaps in the string makes me wonder. I mean at least stuff like IJ2 Raiden had damage if you read someone well. Kitana is almost 100% reliant on a single string and gets below average damage from it.

I used to think the damage was average and I guess that is true from the meterless perspective, but that's more because she has no compelling use for offensive meter. She has quite good meterless damage but piss-poor damage with meter. Nothing she has combo extends and the minor damage boost from square boost is very underwhelming. Heck, her enhanced fireball isn't even mid making her meter-burn options super lackluster.

When I'm getting 320+ from basic hit-confirms on characters like Noob, Baraka, and Kabal with one meter - which have a whole lot more going for them than a single quality advancing mid things begin to add up.

Kitana is safe on a lot of strings, yes. But she's still negative on everything worth using and has no in-her-opponents face mix up or pressure tools so giving her opponents a turn feels super bad.

I know this is a game where slight tweaks to strings can bring characters to the upper escelons in a single patch, but Kitanas issues stem deeper than that. Even if her strings were buffed she still has underwhelming special cancel options imo. Her one damaging combo ender is a forced side-switch as opposed to Sonya's choice over the matter and her enhanced projectile being high-high makes is super abusable for most of the cast an eliminates it as an option to make otherwise iffy strings safe.

She at least has safe mid strings which is better than some characters gave, but the rewards from landing those strings is lackluster. Baraka for example lands 300-520 damage from a 12 hit-confirms depending on meter and KB use, Kitana has nothing that comes even close

DarkSado

Noob
I sort of agree, but the fact that jumping stuffs B231 and we're beginning to see characters like Kang abuse minute gaps in the string makes me wonder. I mean at least stuff like IJ2 Raiden had damage if you read someone well. Kitana is almost 100% reliant on a single string and gets below average damage from it.

I used to think the damage was average and I guess that is true from the meterless perspective, but that's more because she has no compelling use for offensive meter. She has quite good meterless damage but piss-poor damage with meter. Nothing she has combo extends and the minor damage boost from square boost is very underwhelming. Heck, her enhanced fireball isn't even mid making her meter-burn options super lackluster.

When I'm getting 320+ from basic hit-confirms on characters like Noob, Baraka, and Kabal with one meter - which have a whole lot more going for them than a single quality advancing mid things begin to add up.

Kitana is safe on a lot of strings, yes. But she's still negative on everything worth using and has no in-her-opponents face mix up or pressure tools so giving her opponents a turn feels super bad.

I know this is a game where slight tweaks to strings can bring characters to the upper escelons in a single patch, but Kitanas issues stem deeper than that. Even if her strings were buffed she still has underwhelming special cancel options imo. Her one damaging combo ender is a forced side-switch as opposed to Sonya's choice over the matter and her enhanced projectile being high-high makes is super abusable for most of the cast an eliminates it as an option to make otherwise iffy strings safe.

She at least has safe mid strings which is better than some characters gave, but the rewards from landing those strings is lackluster. Baraka for example lands 300-520 damage from a 12 hit-confirms depending on meter and KB use, Kitana has nothing that comes even close
She can get 28 percent meterless from easy mid string confirm which is good and all baraka moves are high except for F44. The only buff she really need is royal protection and make fan plus on hit

MK-Gray

Do you even (fan) lift?
She can get 28 percent meterless from easy mid string confirm which is good and all baraka moves are high except for F44. The only buff she really need is royal protection and make fan plus on hit
IDK man I don't think you're giving Baraka enough credit. People are hating on highs atm but at least he gets to be + on something in his kit. Beyond that his F44 is only 6 frames on start-up which I think at least gives it as much merit as we give Kitanas B231 given it had gaps in it and is stuffed by neutral jumps. What's your 28% meterless argument coming from B231, does it end in DF2 for forced side-switch?

DarkSado

Noob
IDK man I don't think you're giving Baraka enough credit. People are hating on highs atm but at least he gets to be + on something in his kit. Beyond that his F44 is only 6 frames on start-up which I think at least gives it as much merit as we give Kitanas B231 given it had gaps in it and is stuffed by neutral jumps. What's your 28% meterless argument coming from B231, does it end in DF2 for forced side-switch?
a lot of his moves have plus don't get him much because of the push block and also they have gaps as well and I never said he was bad I was comparing tools with kitana. the combo b231,fanlift,J2,J2, B14, BF3 MB.

Last edited:

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
I'm pretty sure she will get an overhaul. Now whether that will bring back "old" kitana is questionable but I think she will get adjusted and they will probably add some mixups in her strings. Would making b2 an OH be op? (Since she has a low,but has to commit).

John_NX

Bro this is not mkx not everyone need a overhead starter if you want mix ups go play Sonya.
That is very true, perhaps I was exaggerating. But she offers NOTHING at the moment besides a good neutral tool that everyone will be able to react in 10mins gameplay.

Last edited:

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
Would making b2 an OH be op? (Since she has a low,but has to commit).
Yes, it would. She already has an overhead in her customs (Edenian Twist), but leads to a knockdown, that is already a bit OP. I couldn’t imagine how ridiculous it would be to have a +0 on block overhead starter that leads to lift.

John_NX

Yes, it would. She already has an overhead in her customs (Edenian Twist), but leads to a knockdown, that is already a bit OP. I couldn’t imagine how ridiculous it would be to have a +0 on block overhead starter that leads to lift.
Yeah I was exaggerating. Overall..
What does she need? New strings? Her old combos back? Maybe it's too early to be discussing buffs and things like that but I feel like she offers nothing and people learn the matchup very easily, making your life hell.

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
Yeah I was exaggerating. Overall..
What does she need? New strings? Her old combos back? Maybe it's too early to be discussing buffs and things like that but I feel like she offers nothing and people learn the matchup very easily, making your life hell.
This is what I’d like to see:

- first and foremost: mid-screen conversions from anti air fan tosses. Kitana isn’t Kitana without it. If fucking Liu Kang can do it, Kitana should too.

- change Amp fan toss back to a mid. This serves as a safe check for one bar.

- gain a reliable anti-air. The animation for 21 is perfect. Make that animation standing 2.

- change the currently safe but useless 21434 string into an unsafe launcher so that Highborn can get some damage in midscreen.

- speaking of highborn, make the KB requirement for Gutted actually obtainable.

- give Quick Execution some utility besides being its only use as a combo ender. Give it range, give it an Amp version that adds extra hits. Something other than the generic “normal” disguised as a special move.

- Make Amp square wave usable on block.

- Royal Projection needs its buff duration increased desperately as well as being able to hold down the button for a longer duration like she had in MKX

- Make 3212 -7 on block down from -12

- Make the “spin” portion of 21222 low profile but still hit mid

- increase the range of b4

That’s all I’d change. She doesn’t need a damage buff aside from Highborn itself needing the ability to deal damage midscreen. She doesn’t need 50/50 mixups to open people up. Make people scared to go into the air against her so that they are forced to play her footsie game on the ground.

honk

Noob
Agree. Fan plus on hit.
And either mixup options or offensive meter burn options.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
List of buffs i'd like

• Fans working like their intended
  • b+213d2 being + on block because every move with a gap( a lot of characters can flat out d+3 and float her after) is + and is launch punishable if your opponent uses faultless whatever
  • j.k/j.p float into overhead j.2 still being + on block instead of -2, float is reactable and in order to make it become an overhead she's basically free to a lot of attacks
  • b+3 having slightly more range
  • faultless u+2 being way more consistent
  • Ass crushing blow changed to just ch
  • it says f+2 is a mid and it actually gets low profiled it's actually really fucking annoying, also make f+234 hit mid/low/overhead instead of mid/mid/overhead it's okay to make the string a lot unsafe because f+22 is -12 for whatever reason

MkPeezy

Unicorn Papi
She excel on whiff punish and out footsie the opponent she not suppose make them react to an overhead or low.
Does she though? 2/3 of the cast does it better. B2 is so slow and b1 has t-rex range and the (b1)4 is a high lol.... Can she wiff punish, yes.... Does she excel at it? Nah

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free

Except MKX kitana was trash in the beginning.
Also, you’re comparing 2 completely different characters and games. Vanilla MKX kitana didn’t even play the game. She was so incomplete.

At least this Kitana plays the game. There’s just characters who play it better. Then there’s erron/sub/geras/sonya/scorp

DarkSado

Noob
List of buffs i'd like

• Fans working like their intended
  • b+213d2 being + on block because every move with a gap( a lot of characters can flat out d+3 and float her after) is + and is launch punishable if your opponent uses faultless whatever
  • j.k/j.p float into overhead j.2 still being + on block instead of -2, float is reactable and in order to make it become an overhead she's basically free to a lot of attacks
  • b+3 having slightly more range
  • faultless u+2 being way more consistent
  • Ass crushing blow changed to just ch
  • it says f+2 is a mid and it actually gets low profiled it's actually really fucking annoying, also make f+234 hit mid/low/overhead instead of mid/mid/overhead it's okay to make the string a lot unsafe because f+22 is -12 for whatever reason
B231d2 plus? She cause the move have gap it do not need to be plus lol.b3 across the cast have short range because there lows.