What's new

General/Other - Kenshi Kenshi General Discussion Thread

Balanced variation questions:

A. F32 xx rising karma -> is this safe? I think I've seen Pig use it very often.
B. Rising karma as an AA or D2?
C. Use overhead slice after every telefury hit for extra chip?

Lastly, with the latest patch in mind, is there a string that can be used to make telepush safe? Thanks.
A. I don't believe this is safe, some blockstrings into Rising Karma leave the opponent too far away to punish but since F32 moves you forward on both hits I imagine most characters could punish this. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
B. D2 usually, it's faster. EX Rising Karma is a good anti air if you have the meter.
C. Sounds good to me just watch out against characters with EX teleports.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
In awe at these changes for Kenshi. I can see him knocking a few characters out of the top 10 with excellent play. This is a tremendous day for Kenshi main's and zoners alike.

Also. @Pig Of The Hut with the upgrades to each variation individually, what would you say the new order of 1-3 is?

learis1

Guardian Cadet
I'm on the fence on either using possessed or balanced. What are the pros and cons of both?
Balanced has superior zoning I believe as well as much better meterless damage than possessed. Possessed has 50/50 mixups going for it with the low demon slam and overhead demon special. But you won't get good damage off unless you condition the opponent to block high and then surprise them with an ex demon slam. It also has the teleport which has its uses.

Overall I think balanced is better, but possessed for me is more fun :p

I'm on the fence on either using possessed or balanced. What are the pros and cons of both?
I don't play much Kenshi, but Possessed's teleport is super easy to read for your opponent. I'd agree with the above, Balanced is probably better, but you can have fun with both.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Am I fucking crazy or did canceling 111 in Kenjutsu not count as a true combo pre-patch?

I could sweet doing 111 xx df1 or any of the other moves would not count as a combo despite the cancel.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Balanced variation questions:

A. F32 xx rising karma -> is this safe? I think I've seen Pig use it very often.
B. Rising karma as an AA or D2?
C. Use overhead slice after every telefury hit for extra chip?

Lastly, with the latest patch in mind, is there a string that can be used to make telepush safe? Thanks.
A yes and no, it is punishable but if you space it right it is very difficult to punish
B Rising Karma all the way, just dont use it if they are too close, as in jumping ver your head or something like that because if they are too close to you the attack will miss, basically what i mean by too close is basically them touching you.
C yes, it is an amazing free hit but be weary of fast forward advancing wake ups, armored wake ups, and teleports

hi Kenshi players,

How does the character feel after the patch?
Does Balanced variation get out zoned by any characters?
Is he able to compete up close with other top tier even though he has no 50/50s?

learis1

Guardian Cadet
hi Kenshi players,

How does the character feel after the patch?
Does Balanced variation get out zoned by any characters?
Is he able to compete up close with other top tier even though he has no 50/50s?
Balanced is the only variation without 50/50s.
He is definitely much stronger after the patch.
I doubt balanced gets beat out by any other zoners except maybe full-auto Jackie and inferno Scorpion in certain situations, but it can flip flop very quickly depending on who scores a hit.

It's hard to say how he will fair against the top tier characters. Each of his variations has their weaknesses and strengths:
-Balanced: no 50/50 mixups in exchange for the best zoning. Good meterless damage but relies on frustrating opponent to make mistakes.
-Possessed: decent zoning, 50/50 mixups, but meter dependent to score any decent dmg as well as needing to condition your opponent to block high.
-Kenjutsu: Zoning is the weakest (but it's still there). 50/50 mixup damage potential is the best. Execution heavy. Could possibly be the best variation for combating high tier imo.

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
In Kenjutsu d4 hit into f2 feels like a pretty solid frame trap. I think there's maybe a single frame to use armor during it. D1 seems to be the same into b3. Btw, if anyone's having trouble getting the 111 link, definitely practice the d1 xx db4. Off the overhead it gets 37% and is still 100% doable online. Been landing it all day. It's easier to focus on the d1 without thinking about the db4 cancel, since it gives you a lot of leighway for the input.

Last edited:
In Kenjutsu d4 hit into f2 feels like a pretty solid frame trap. I think there's maybe a single frame to use armor during it. D1 seems to be the same into b3. Btw, if anyone's having trouble getting the 111 link, definitely practice the d1 xx db4. Off the overhead it gets 37% and is still 100% doable online. Been landing it all day. It's easier to focus on the d1 without thinking about the db4 cancel, since it gives you a lot of leighway for the input.
I cant get the 111 for the life of me :(

Do you not do D1 43 DB4?

I ask this because I can consistently get D1 now but for the life of me 4 always whiffs, it looks like the opponent is too far away after connecting with D1.

If anyone has any advice on landing the 43 after the D1 i'd be extremely grateful.

iDeeejay

Low MeterBurn Lightning
I cant get the 111 for the life of me :(

Do you not do D1 43 DB4?

I ask this because I can consistently get D1 now but for the life of me 4 always whiffs, it looks like the opponent is too far away after connecting with D1.

If anyone has any advice on landing the 43 after the D1 i'd be extremely grateful.
You're talking about after db1 in kenjutsu? i don't recall being able to combo d1 43 ._. I could be wrong, but I believe the optimized combo was/is d1 b32 xx special move

and now, to land the b32 you have to delay it slightly after the d1. Personally I prefer just going for 111 because it's just 1 link you have to hit versus having to land 2

edit edit: nvm, just popped in mkx and tried it out ._. it does work lol

so to hit the d1 43, i'm just pressing 4 immediately after. I don't know how reliable it is, and i'm sure it doesn't work against females because.. females. I also haven't been able to hit it after a f2 db1. But it's pretty consistent after 421 db1

Last edited:

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
I can't land b32 or 43 after the d1, so I just settle for the 37%. 25% meterless.
Also neither of those seem to land at anything less than pointblank range, and I like to use f2 from further, generally. Also the 111 is a 2 frame link and d1 is 3 or 4 so it's easier.

I can't land b32 or 43 after the d1, so I just settle for the 37%. 25% meterless.
Also neither of those seem to land at anything less than pointblank range, and I like to use f2 from further, generally. Also the 111 is a 2 frame link and d1 is 3 or 4 so it's easier.
Yea I just do 111 or d1.43 is out of the question on females and b32 is great but only works off of certain confirms, you also have to be pretty close. I can land b32 off raw overhead and low .......but off of say a ex db4 to full combo it gets very finnincky and basically doesn't work. It's not horrible but ex db4 I use to blow up buttons for 40% a lot so having b32 not work off this is weird. But other than off of ex db4 it's works every time its just weird id stick to 111.

can someone tell me essential stings to use when playing as balanced kenshi. i find my self only using 111 and b32 most of the time

can someone tell me essential stings to use when playing as balanced kenshi. i find my self only using 111 and b32 most of the time
111 for punishing, b32 for aggressive rushdowns after zoning with a few overhead slices. occasionally 4d4 if enemy blocks low alot. 11 or d1 for poking, both are safe. i rarely ever use 421, but ppl use that quite a lot. f32 for obvious combos.... gets the job done

learis1

Guardian Cadet
Ok, I'm done with possessed. This variation is officially dog doodoo even after the patch. Zero damage potential without meter, and once again the only real threat is to just block low for mb demon slam. There's no reason whatsoever to use this version over balanced, it's just a crappier zoning lower damage version of balanced.

EOTL

I think Kenjutsu is in a very good right place right now. the rising sword link into d1 is quite easy now and 111 is very consistent with a little practice. Well offline anyway. I'm not sure what tele push was like on block pre-patch but spaced overhead to telepush is quite safe for how far it pushes back.

Snaaaake

Noob
Okay, I need some help. In his thread, Pig lists a vortex for possessed:

"
B1 ex db4 nj2 f32 ex db4 22 into vortex options
1. Reverse input db2 tele mix up
2. Reverse input ex db4 launcher
3. B3
"

Can any vets please explain how this works? Sorry for being a newbie but why does he call this a vortex when it leaves you at 0 frame advantage? Thanks in advance guys.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
Okay, I need some help. In his thread, Pig lists a vortex for possessed:

"
B1 ex db4 nj2 f32 ex db4 22 into vortex options
1. Reverse input db2 tele mix up
2. Reverse input ex db4 launcher
3. B3
"

Can any vets please explain how this works? Sorry for being a newbie but why does he call this a vortex when it leaves you at 0 frame advantage? Thanks in advance guys.
I've been thinking the same thing I think it doesn't work at all. It was made very early and he probably didn't realize that it's not a vortex