What's new

General/Other - Kenshi Kenshi General Discussion Thread

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Why do people keep referring to Kenjutsu as rush down? That's not how I see myself playing that variation at the moment
I agree seems more footsie and zoning, outside of that one sword move he seems very zoning in that variation IMO.

Can Kenshi's projectile counter reverse Cybernetic Kano's projectile? Sans the speed it comes out (Kano's projectile) I input the counter and I get hit instead of countering it.

I decided to try out Kenshi. I learned a few combos and went online. One thing is for sure, and that is that Kenshi is the biggest noob destroyer in any game ever.

On a completely unrelated note to my above post: What the hell is wrong with Kenshi's uppercut? I whiff people who standing as close as possible to me. Anyone else notice this?

NHDR

Noob
@Pig Of The Hut

Watched your matches that were recently uploaded, just have a few questions.

1. What string were you using to make rising karma safe? I noticed you weren't punished ever even though you were probably still - on block.

2. Is rising karma a dependable AA?

I've put Kenshi on hold for a while, have been focusing more on rushdown characters in order to get a grasp of the game. I feel like I need some better expertise before I try a Balanced Kenshi. Thanks man.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
@Pig Of The Hut

Watched your matches that were recently uploaded, just have a few questions.

1. What string were you using to make rising karma safe? I noticed you weren't punished ever even though you were probably still - on block.

2. Is rising karma a dependable AA?

I've put Kenshi on hold for a while, have been focusing more on rushdown characters in order to get a grasp of the game. I feel like I need some better expertise before I try a Balanced Kenshi. Thanks man.
B2 into wait a sec then ex rk
421 rk
B32 rk

Aa d4, b4, sc and rk

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Humble observation: the developers were lazy as fuck putting Kenshi together. My image of the workshopping is like this:

Variant 1: Just like MK9 but sane frames and more mid-screen than full-screen.
Variant 2: basically exactly like the first variant only no sword stuff, and his spirit projections wear armor. And he has a teleport. IT'S LIEK SO DIFRINT GUYZ
Variant 3: Uhh... who likes Star Wars? Let's make him a Jedi but have everything suck. EVEN ACTUALLY DOING THE COMBOS SHOULD SUCK. Let's make it so the combos don't even feel like real combos. Let's make them revolve around ghetto ass links into universal down pokes that aren't even really consistent. And they'll only do like 25% for a bar!

I mean, nobody's variants got phoned in harder than Goro or Shinnok but this shit is pretty close.

I actually have a version of this complaint that I can spread around to like three quarters of the cast. I like the game as a whole A LOT but some of this shit is just either outright lazy or the definition of uninspired.

[/rant]

I think Kenjutsu is the coolest variant but all of its special moves are unsafe, especially the telekinesis moves. I know Possesed has mixups, but does the zoning and mixups in Possesed makeup for the huge block advantages?

B2 into wait a sec then ex rk
421 rk
B32 rk

Aa d4, b4, sc and rk
Can you tell me why you would want to end a blockstring in rising karma? Only benefit I see is catching conditioned opponents who stop blocking/try to push buttons. Other than that, 421 & B32 are both less negative on block (0 and -4 respectively) if you don't end in RK. Also, the hit/block option select makes it so that you don't need to dial-a-string into special and be crazy unsafe.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Can you tell me why you would want to end a blockstring in rising karma? Only benefit I see is catching conditioned opponents who stop blocking/try to push buttons. Other than that, 421 & B32 are both less negative on block (0 and -4 respectively) if you don't end in RK. Also, the hit/block option select makes it so that you don't need to dial-a-string into special and be crazy unsafe.
I meant overhead slash and u can also end w sc

Pushback makes safe against 90%

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
I meant overhead slash and u can also end w sc

Pushback makes safe against 90%
burn a meter to stay safe? or just normal Spirit Push will work? When is the right time to use overhead slash? Is that the DB4?

but 421 RK and b23 RK from correct range will leave you safe most of the time? fearing kung jin spin and kung lao spin or Liu kick

Kenshi is my favorite character in MKX (since they messed up ermac) but man i could never use Balanced. Dude looks like he's leading a damn
orchestra or doing a dance routine. Plus no mixups automatically makes it bad. Kenjutsu is a proper Kenshi and all it needs is some safe specials. I think Possessed is the best atm though cause i've seen Floe do work with it against NYChrisG.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Doubt thats the case in high level play
Actually, it is to some degree. Correct spacing, frame traps, punishing. Lack of mixups doesn't make character bad. But i agree overall with Pig and few other players who main Kenshi - atm he feel lack luster. Hope they gonna buff him in upcoming patches.

Last edited:
Kenshi's d3 is a mid and I want to think of this as a bug and not some weird exception as compared to the entire cast who everyone else has a d3 that is a low. It makes no sense for it to be a mid why NRS :(

Landonio

n00b
Apologies if this has been asked before, but is DB1 in Kenjutsu actually -10 on block? Because it seems more like -7 or -8. And I've seen a lot of Kenshi's throw that out willy-nilly and not get punished for it. Seems hella good.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
Is it just me or does Kenshi barely build meter. I only play possessed but it feels like the main time I'm gaining meter is when I'm the one being hit. It's weird.

Does anyone have tips on what to do when your opponent closes the gap on you? I've been playing balanced, and started playing Kenjitsu. I don't do too bad unless the gap is closed, and then I start having trouble. Any tips?