What's new

General/Other - Kenshi Kenshi General Discussion Thread

Snaaaake

Noob
I've been thinking the same thing I think it doesn't work at all. It was made very early and he probably didn't realize that it's not a vortex
Oh wow this sucks then. I thought it was just me misunderstanding things. So what does possessed has going for it after all? Kenjutsu has the better 50/50s and damage, balanced has the zoning and the meterless damaged. The teleport is good but other than that, any reason to pick it over the other two?

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Oh wow this sucks then. I thought it was just me misunderstanding things. So what does possessed has going for it after all? Kenjutsu has the better 50/50s and damage, balanced has the zoning and the meterless damaged. The teleport is good but other than that, any reason to pick it over the other two?
it has a mixture of good zoning and rush down, sure it may not have 50/50s but you can still rush down with a fair amount of success with it

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
Looks cool :)

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
It gets pretty decent damage and a mixture of both zoning and 50/50s. But I think it's the closet variant.

Snaaaake

Noob
it has a mixture of good zoning and rush down, sure it may not have 50/50s but you can still rush down with a fair amount of success with it
It gets pretty decent damage and a mixture of both zoning and 50/50s. But I think it's the closet variant.
Yeah I agree. It's not a bad variation by itself. It feels at least slightly weaker than the other two but you can still do well with it. It's really nice that none of his variations are trash. The blind man is in a good spot right now.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
Yeah I agree. It's not a bad variation by itself. It feels at least slightly weaker than the other two but you can still do well with it. It's really nice that none of his variations are trash. The blind man is in a good spot right now.
Call me crazy but I think balanced is looking top 10 right now no joke.

Also if you opponent blocks the ex over head demon swipe you're like plus 7 and that's some pressure he can get but at the cost of a bar

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
b34~rising karma, f34~ex rising karma, 43 bf2 =45% 1 bar.

Balanced combo I been using. Fairly easy.

Is this optimised?

How good would you guys say Kenshi is after his buffs? Is he a LOT better now?
IMO hes top tier now, raiden vs kenshi feels slightly in kenshis favor. The one thing that gave raiden advantage (punishing telekenis moves on block) is now gone, and displacer can get behind him but doesnt have enough tools to open him up afterwards. Id rather guess OH/L than Throw/L

Last edited:

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
IMO hes top tier now, raiden vs kenshi feels slightly in kenshis favor. The one thing that gave raiden advantage (punishing telekenis moves on block) is now gone, and displacer can get behind him but doesnt have enough tools to open him up afterwards. Id rather guess OH/L than Throw/L
Raiden can still punish tele furry on whiff so it's not easy to keep them out if they know this. I doubt it's in Kenshi's favor good sir.

Raiden can still punish tele furry on whiff so it's not easy to keep them out if they know this. I doubt it's in Kenshi's favor good sir.
does it hit high? I played a really good kenshi today and im also not used to the new patch kenshi, I definitely got spoiled with the old matchup but this matchup is at least even now, yes if I get to the corner i get a ton of damage but if he gets out, he has the same amount of damage just doesnt have as good of mixup to start it out

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
does it hit high? I played a really good kenshi today and im also not used to the new patch kenshi, I definitely got spoiled with the old matchup but this matchup is at least even now, yes if I get to the corner i get a ton of damage but if he gets out, he has the same amount of damage just doesnt have as good of mixup to start it out
Yep it hits high with balanced and Kenjutsu and has a lot of recovery, its hard to zone raiden like this and raiden has better up close game, mix ups, 50/50s, and resets. Kenshi also doesn't have a low profile hitting move to get through his lightning hand grab thing.

I retract my statement, the old MU was so easy that I was just blocking flurry and them WHADAYAEEE'ing so I guess now I actually have to think. Kenshi is still much better than he was vgg to @DET_BLAKEANATOR

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Who do you guys think Kenjutsu Kenshi's bad matchups are now?
Tempest KL (and probably KL in general) seems to be a bothersome for Kenjutsu Kenshi. He can punish his 50/50's very easily with regular spin for over 30% dmg with one bar (except if you space yourselft really good, which wont be consistent cause even a small misscalculation can be deadly), plus the mobility he has, makes it hard for Kenjutsu Kenshi to contain him.

It's probably a 6-4 KL. Highly winnable for Kenshi as well though.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
22 is not a vortex, cause its only +1f adv on hit IIRC. D1 is the best option if you wanna go for the 50/50.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
Tempest KL (and probably KL in general) seems to be a bothersome for Kenjutsu Kenshi. He can punish his 50/50's very easily with regular spin for over 30% dmg with one bar (except if you space yourselft really good, which wont be consistent cause even a small misscalculation can be deadly), plus the mobility he has, makes it hard for Kenjutsu Kenshi to contain him.

It's probably a 6-4 KL. Highly winnable for Kenshi though.
Is anyone really making use of kenjutsu I can't seem to make it work he feels... Sluggish to me

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Is anyone really making use of kenjutsu I can't seem to make it work he feels... Sluggish to me
I ve started playing Kenjutsu recently. He seems pretty solid if you master him, possibly top 10 material along with Balanced variation.

Positives:

High damage.

Excellent full screen presence. Bf3 is not to be trifled with atm, except if opponent has teleport, although some times bf3 will beat the tp, its not consistent though and not to be taken as a solid strat.

Good cross up AA options. Db4 is godlike and against opponent who have shitty jump ins, d1 is also very good.

bf2 requires a lot of time to master its distance, but once you do, its extremely rewarding.

Good 50/50 which leads to a ton of damage and cannot be punished easily by opponents who dont have lower than 9f normals or specials.

His f2 OH has extremely good hit box (it can even catch jumping opponents).

Negatives:

Extremely meter dependant.

Not many choices when opponent is at sweep jump range. Best option is either d2 or ex db4. S1 seems solid as well, but i havent tried it that much yet.

Other than that Kenjutsu seems really solid.

One good thing i have discovered, to bait your opponents while zoning them, is to whiff s1's since it has really good recovery on whiff and bait anything they do with bf3 or when they get in range of bf2. It works really good for me atm, plus s1 is an advancing move as well if you want to get in range of bf2.

This works really good if you have your opponent in the corner and you want to keep him there. This could work really well with his other variations as well.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
I ve started playing Kenjutsu recently. He seems pretty solid if you master him, possibly top 10 material along with Balanced variation.

Positives:

High damage.

Excellent full screen presence. Bf3 is not to be trifled with atm, except if opponent has teleport, although some times bf3 will beat the tp, its not consistent though and not to be taken as a solid strat.

Good cross up AA options. Db4 is godlike and against opponent who have shitty jump ins, d1 is also very good.

bf2 requires a lot of time to master its distance, but once you do, its extremely rewarding.

Good 50/50 which leads to a ton of damage and cannot be punished easily by opponents who dont have lower than 9f normals or specials.

Negatives:

Not many choices when opponent is at sweep jump range. Best option is either d2 or ex db4. S1 seems solid as well, but i havent tried it that much yet.

One good thing i have discovered, to bait your opponents while zoning them, is to whiff s1's since it has really good recovery on whiff and bait anything they do with bf3 or when they get in range of bf2. It works really good for me atm, plus s1 is an advancing move as well if you want to get in range of bf2.

This works really good if you have your opponent in the corner and you want to keep him there. This could work really well with his other variations as well.
The vortex is easily fuzzy guarded and I find my self delaying often.

I usually go for damage with it

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
The vortex is easily fuzzy guarded and I find my self delaying often.

I usually go for damage with it
Yeah same here, i just mentioned it cause its there. Some times its good to use it though for example, if opponent has a breaker and you wanna finish him with a throw.

But yeah i agree with you, it is seeable.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
On another note

I love playing balanced but I feel it's too easy to play.
I usually like to play characters with harder combos even though this one is more zoning than combo oriented.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.

Positives:

High damage.

Negatives:

As long as you have your spacing down relatively well b1 and f32 are pretty good at sweep. Both are safe and also cancelable.

I reeeeeaaally wish they'd make b2 at least somewhat useful because it looks cool as fuck.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
As long as you have your spacing down relatively well b1 and f32 are pretty good at sweep. Both are safe and also cancelable.

I reeeeeaaally wish they'd make b2 at least somewhat useful because it looks cool as fuck.
I dont have issues at sweep ground range. I have issues with people jumping like idiots at sweep range. Thats what i meant. Only reliable solution i found is either d2 or exdb4. I m gonna try db1 as a mean of AA though.

Indeed b2 looks really sexy but....

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I dont have issues at sweep ground range. I have issues with people jumping like idiots at sweep range. Thats what i meant. Only reliable solution i found is either d2 or exdb4. I m gonna try db1 as a mean of AA though.

Indeed b2 looks really sexy but....
db1 eats jump ins right up, but you don't get much from it in terms of punishing.

Really wish they'd make that window for combos with it less strict but for some reason they want to keep it unreasonable. I would say maybe they don't want to give a character such a useful meterless launcher but then I remember fucking Scorpion has two capture states in two variations and realize that move balance probably wasn't what lead to that decision.

Last edited:

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
What incentive is thre to play Kenjutsu Kenshi? Outside of it being really cool looking.

From what I've seen Kenshi's strong point is zoning. He has other tools in Balanced/Possessed but he's still definately a zoner at heart. But in Kenjutsu he seems like he wants to go in or rush down. Are his normals safe so in case they block his 50/50 he's not screwed over. Or is he in the same position as Ermac MoS where he can do big damage off his 50/50s but they're all unsafe so you trade one for the other. Or, ideal, he's like MK9 Ermac where he controls space more than going in all the time. I'm really interested in the variation but I can't see a reason to use it over the others.

EOTL

What incentive is thre to play Kenjutsu Kenshi? Outside of it being really cool looking.

From what I've seen Kenshi's strong point is zoning. He has other tools in Balanced/Possessed but he's still definately a zoner at heart. But in Kenjutsu he seems like he wants to go in or rush down. Are his normals safe so in case they block his 50/50 he's not screwed over. Or is he in the same position as Ermac MoS where he can do big damage off his 50/50s but they're all unsafe so you trade one for the other. Or, ideal, he's like MK9 Ermac where he controls space more than going in all the time. I'm really interested in the variation but I can't see a reason to use it over the others.
From what I can see, you can overhead/low into spirit push and the pushback makes it unpunishable by a lot of the cast (though not all) The reward isn't huge on hit though damage wise but sends them full screen for zoning.. Or you can commit to overhead/low into rsiing sword for the full combo thought its unsafe. Kenshi seems to have quite a fast walkspeed so playing footsies and whiff punishing with b1 might be good.