What's new

Kano strategy

Combo thread, :l:bp:r:fp:d:r:bp for 21% and come out instantly, no need to do tricky :d:fp to show off your timing prowess. :p
lol. Thanks for the tip. :) Now that I think about it, can't he simply chain fk after his overhead? Damn I totally forgot about that.

@Mutton: Yeah, you're probably right. I just had that idea in mind but haven't really used it much. I was trying to figure out what would be a good use for the ex Ball charge but I can't really find one. I prefer ex Up Ball by far.

Anyway usually with Kano I like keeping the meter for breakers and especially his godlike x-ray. :)

Since we're on the topic of the overhead (i'll leave this here instead of where the following originated, the combo thread - 'more conducive here.) :

I'm pretty positive the best uses for the choke cancel are after :l+:bp :r+:fp pressure (gives Kano Quan like overhead string safety), following :fp, :fp, :bp (although it doesn't connect, they can't respond to the block stun, making it safe!) for a safe string when grounded and after :r+:fp, :bp (same deal as 1,1,2!) for the on-hit :x check. Everything else was trivial or just downright unrealistic from block-check standpoint--you won't be using them off reaction in any serious match.

Since we're on the topic of the overhead (i'll leave this here instead of where the following originated, the combo thread - 'more conducive here.) :

I'm pretty positive the best uses for the choke cancel are after :l+:bp :r+:fp pressure (gives Kano Quan like overhead string safety), following :fp, :fp, :bp for a safe string when grounded and after :r+:fp, :bp for the on-hit :x check. Everything else was trivial or just downright unrealistic from block-check standpoint--you won't be using them off reaction in any serious match.

-im actually in prog of editing the top, as i know it doesnt connect after some of those (choke) but there are some interesting propteries im testing.
I agree on that plus :l:fp:fp:bp because is not that safe on block and would benefit from the choke cancel, being the most damaging combo launcher and all.

Also, remember that :bp:fp:bp and :r:fk:l:bp are quite safe on block as they are so you don't really need to do choke cancels on those strings unless you want to play super safe instead of using them as pressure strings.

Mutton

Noob
lol. Thanks for the tip. :) Now that I think about it, can't he simply chain fk after his overhead? Damn I totally forgot about that.

@Mutton: Yeah, you're probably right. I just had that idea in mind but haven't really used it much. I was trying to figure out what would be a good use for the ex Ball charge but I can't really find one. I prefer ex Up Ball by far.

Anyway usually with Kano I like keeping the meter for breakers and especially his godlike x-ray. :)
What do you use EX Up Ball for generally?

Also, what do you use as your teleport counter? I'm having trouble connecting 2,1,2 after I block a teleport; does B1,1,2 or F3, B2 do better?

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.

Also, what do you use as your teleport counter? I'm having trouble connecting 2,1,2 after I block a teleport; does B1,1,2 or F3, B2 do better?
Ex up ball is pretty nice, it goes up and over projectiles but you have to know when to you can get away with it and its damn near full screen.

Teleports I use f3,b2, slides (sub-zero, reptile etc) b1,1,2.

Hope that helps a lil

Well EX Up Ball does this arc thing. It goes up, through 2/3 of the screen then comes down so it can hit standing or crouching opponents. So it's pretty good for zoning imo (hop over projectiles). It's not that fast though so vs characters that recover quickly it's more dangerous. You also don't wanna use EX Up Ball from too far away or it's gonna get blocked.

To punish a blocked teleport? Most of the time I simply do this: 1, 1, Knife throw, Ball or 1, 1, dash~ uppercut

Not the most damaging combo but it's really easy to do and it's a consistent punish. :) But if you can pull Sutter Pain's punish consistently then it's worth it. Right now my punish is more a bad habit/reflex from old MK games lol.

Ex up ball is pretty nice, it goes up and over projectiles but you have to know when to you can get away with it and its damn near full screen.
Doesn't it also track? I remember seeing my EXupball go up and back to it's starting point to hit a Mileena that rolled on me on Friday.

Wow, I did not know that. That makes it even more interesting to deal with teleporters and stuff like that. I'll have to test it.

I wish you could choose which direction to go with EX Ball charge (left, right, up, down or diagonals). If we could charge the airborne one like that it would be godlike.

Unfortunately, from my experience, tagging choke after b+1,1,2 leaves you open for an interrupt, but it'd would be awesome if it worked! You can't truly choke cancel after 1,2,1 anyway and ditto/agree on the second launcher.

Gotta get dat info out der.

cyke_out

Noob
Watching a MK stream.

Tom Brady just said Kano has good match-up vs Raiden.

Kano can throw knife and if Raiden teleports on reaction, Kano can block before Raiden can attack or even up-ball. and beat everything He says Kano is already very good and is going to get buffed soon too.

Yeah I noticed that too. Kano recovers extremely fast from his knife throw. I often win every zone trades. (They eat 8% but I manage to block in time so I only take 2%)

Still not a very good idea to throw a knife during a teleporter's wake up. I learned that the hard way.

cyke_out

Noob
Knife does 9% damage actually. one of the highest damaging projectile's in the game, behind sheeva's 11% and quan chi when he's buffed with a damage boost. Other character's also have a 9% damage, but are slow like Stryker's grenades.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
About the ex up ball tracking, it sure does I had noob teleport during the up frames and the instant he popped up from behind the ball track backwards, looked pretty slick like I meant to do it.

-YMK-

Noob
Yeah I noticed that too. Kano recovers extremely fast from his knife throw. I often win every zone trades. (They eat 8% but I manage to block in time so I only take 2%)
and heres where EX Knife throw is GDLK. Ex knife is like 15% damage with the same recovery, if you know youre gonna trade, do EX. its worth it most of the time. Only vs smoke.cyrax and subby, I wouldnt recommend it.

note about EX ball. on some characters (kung lao for one) , it;ll beat or trade against teleports while your charging, since it has a good hitbox and can hit while charging. just something funny to think about.

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
Yesterday i found something interesting with X-ray, i did it several times and worked allways:
After one air ball the opp. will allways stand blocking waiting for another one to punish you. I jumped backwards and before land i did a ball and allways send me infront of the opp...and XRAY him. For sure it will connect because your opp. for sure will be waiting for the ball to impact or tryining to punish you so the armor of xray absord the punish.
It´s just a way to perform xray, well.... "THAWK style" :D

cyke_out

Noob
I've used that trick before. using x-ray to make a unsafe move safe. Assuming you have enough time after your recovery to perform the x-ray and before you get hit.

So until we get a match-up thread, let's do some match-up discussion in here, with the first being the character of the moment- Kung Lau.

I think Kung Lau has the advantage in this fight, but only becuase of his curruent damage output. He can make more mistakes becuase he can come back and even the score much easier and much faster than Kano.

Kano can punish blocked spins with a b+1,1,2 or 2,1,2 luancher starters, or even x-ray. A dash up may be requires for some situations, but in my testing, with fast enough reflex you can just throw out b+1,1,2 and it will connect before Kung can block.

You don't not want to jump in on Kung, but really as Kano you shouldn't be jumping in on many people. On the reverse side, people don't really want to jump in on Kano thanks to ball/up ball. It's just that Kung can get more damage off punsihing your jump-ins, while kano will only get 11%

Breaker seems like it'll be more important in this fight than x-ray, as keeping kung out will be your main priority, and you should win any zoning battle vs Kung.

Up-ball should beat any teleport option Kung does, but beware of EX-teleport's armor.

does anyone have any insight into this match?

cyke_out said:
but really as Kano you shouldn't be jumping in on many people.
Screw this I'm jumping all over the place lol.

I kinda disagree with this point. Jumping is godlike with kano since every jump = the possibility of a ball coming out. That forces the opponent respect your jumps and hesitate/block more often.

If you condition your opponent with airborne Ball and air throw, then each time you jump they will auto-block, meaning you can start getting in for free or make safe empty jumps and stuff. That's just how I see it though. Depends who you are jumping on of course but a lot of characters don't even have a good anti-air.

Of course jumping too much is bad, you don't want to become predictable. But Kano has air advantage kinda like Cyber Sub so you shouldn't just disregard it as an option imo.

cyke_out

Noob
Good point. Maybe I shouldn't have been too broad in saying never jump in with Kano. not every character has a great anti-air that can lead to 30% or more combo's.

However, for specifically the Kung match-up, I think it's smart advice to keep your jump-ins to a minimum.

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
Screw this I'm jumping all over the place lol.

I kinda disagree with this point. Jumping is godlike with kano since every jump = the possibility of a ball coming out. That forces the opponent respect your jumps and hesitate/block more often.

If you condition your opponent with airborne Ball, then each time you jump they will auto-block, meaning you can start getting in for free or make safe empty jumps and stuff. That's just how I see it though. Depends who you are jumping on of course but a lot of characters don't even have a godlike anti-air.

Of course jumping too much is bad, you don't want to become predictable. But Kano has air advantage kinda like Cyber Sub so you shouldn't just ignore it imo.
+1
Since Kano has air ball, safe jump + Throw = 13% damage for free. I mix-up with j1--->2,1,2.... and Jk+throw all the time...and if he scapes... knife punish¡¡¡
Jump, knife and air balls are Kano´s best friends

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
Please help me guys , because i am beginnig to lose my nerves... sometimes I prefer not to fatality to see the winning pose, but nearley allways when i finish him with kinfe, choke, ball, even a punch the pose does not appear¡¡¡ The combat ends and we go to the lobby (i play king of the hill with my friends) Yesterday the winning pose only appeared one time for 8 wins without fatality.
Ir just me or any of you have the same issue...?
Thanks

Please help me guys , because i am beginnig to lose my nerves... sometimes I prefer not to fatality to see the winning pose, but nearley allways when i finish him with kinfe, choke, ball, even a punch the pose does not appear¡¡¡ The combat ends and we go to the lobby (i play king of the hill with my friends) Yesterday the winning pose only appeared one time for 8 wins without fatality.
Ir just me or any of you have the same issue...?
Thanks
That's an issue with his costume 2, it need to be fixed by NRS.

Dulllyanna

You're going to shoot guns at me?
I've heard that Kano's b112 is unsafe in some way, but it's never been specified. Anybody know if this is true, and how so?

I've heard that Kano's b112 is unsafe in some way, but it's never been specified. Anybody know if this is true, and how so?
Is slower and have more recovery than :bp:fp:bp and :r:fk:l:bp, if you can read the block on time you can try to cancel it into a choke to make it much safer or try to bait a reaction and Up Ball your opponent however it is understandable since is the best damage dealer of Kano launcher strings.

Is slower and have more recovery than :bp:fp:bp and :r:fk:l:bp, if you can read the block on time you can try to cancel it into a choke to make it much safer or try to bait a reaction and Up Ball your opponent however it is understandable since is the best damage dealer of Kano launcher strings.
b112 is completely safe. In fact - its so safe, that an up kano ball is uninterrupt-able by normal attacks afterwards. After a blocked b112, you can check your opponent with an up ball(preferrably only do this if you have breaker). Once they start respecting it and blocking after b112, you should start a mixup with jump in, sweep, or overhead.

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
b112 is completely safe. In fact - its so safe, that an up kano ball is uninterrupt-able by normal attacks afterwards. After a blocked b112, you can check your opponent with an up ball(preferrably only do this if you have breaker). Once they start respecting it and blocking after b112, you should start a mixup with jump in, sweep, or overhead.
Nice find.
I saw you did it against Raiden in the tournament. Maybe a Throw as the best follow block B1,1,2 ?