What's new

Kano strategy

Brahma

Noob
Funny thing I started doing, a few times I've had someone jumping back on to a knife toss from full screen, right after tossing the knife circleing for his straight ball and the ball catching up and hitting as well.

2 hits fir 20%
Yeah that works really well midscreen. I always try to stagger my knife throws and usually dash forwards or backwards with them to try and get them to jump into one then straight ball.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Brahma said:
Also, does anyone use his strings other than 212_b112_f32_b21? Been messing around with some other strings but honestly I think those 4 pretty much do everything he needs.
2,1,2 starts with a high attack and feels slower to me than b+1,1,2, so I never use it outside of combos. I think b+1,1,2 is by far his best string. Generic d+1, d+3, and b+4 have uses too. f+3,b+2 and the overhead can be used once in a while. I honestly don't use anything else.

Mgt2

Noob
I want someone to test something that happened to me. I was trap on the ice atrack of sub zero and I did EX Ball to get out. It was weird but for some reason I got out. It was online so I dunno what to thing about it.

Gemini Knight

Astaroth needs Fatalities
I want someone to test something that happened to me. I was trap on the ice atrack of sub zero and I did EX Ball to get out. It was weird but for some reason I got out. It was online so I dunno what to thing about it.
EX horizontal Ball has armor. If that isn't what you were refering too, then I'm not sure. I found that out by doing an ex Ball through reptiles fast force ball by accident.

Fraga

Magical Beard
Hello, I'm also a Kano player and I've been searching through the forums for awhile now. I wanted to post that I think I may have found a decent 50/50 setup for him, specifically for his X-ray.

First, after a hard knockdown (Lets say :l:bp or dropping a BnB to set this up*) there's about 2-4 frames where if the opponent wants a jump, he doesn't jump yet, if timed right you can use your X-ray and hit him BEFORE he jumps as he's waking up.

As for Tech-Rolling, you'd have to anticipate it and dash before hand, then X-ray (Works on a Practice Bot with Tech-roll and Jump Stance, requires some practice). And you don't have to do X-ray, if you anticipate the jump you can choke or uppercut and continue Kano's zoning/pressure, or if they roll you can Throw, continue mix-up or back-off and keep working at him. In the corner it's nearly guaranteed since it'd catch the backroll.

The problem lies in some Wakeup EX moves, like Cyber-Sub's Slide, you can't grab him since he's too low. You CAN hit Kung Lao's Ex-Spin, and cannot hit Raiden's Superman (He gets too high after hitting you). I'm seeing what Ex-moves does and doesn't beat/make X-ray miss currently. And if you mistime the X-ray you'll probably get a full combo in the face.

I'm taking this with a grain of salt, especially since things can change so quickly. I figured I'd post it here because of how successful I've been setting this up during New England casuals and to let you guys experiment some more like I am. I think being able to X-ray them as they wake-up without letting them be able to jump is something we should look on to, even if it is a risky 50/50.

*By BnB I'm going with :ur:bp :l:fp:fp:bp *Dash* :bp:fp:bp *Dash* :bp:fp:bp Kano-Ball. if you drop the Ball you get 31%, and then just do a quick dash or walk up and X-ray, and if timed right you hit the X-ray and do another 41%, 72% in mere seconds!

Fraga

Magical Beard
It is risky, but it certainly pays off if it hits. It doesn't even have to be about the X-ray, though that's how I figured out the 2-4 frames before jumping. Just general mixup works well and I found it just to be a possible setup for the X-ray

Yeah, it's good. But for the characters with good Wake Ups I like to dash and dash block in forcing them to execute one then his the X'Ray, pretty fail safe.

D.Barrett

Pad Warrior
I have noticed the random armor on EX straight ball. I accidentally did EX straight ball instead of up ball to catch my friend doing a jump during my wake up. The actual spinning in place motion absorbed the hit, and when i saw the gold flash i let go. Getting the hits and stopping his jumping 3. Regardless, I tried doing it again later and was unsuccessful. I dont understand if its not the spinning in place motion, or the actual fly across the screen, then is there armor in the transfer from rotating in place to the fly? Or is NRS just messing with us? O_O

GStick

Noob
I don't know. I'd still rather they just decrease the recovery of whiffed air ball a bit... if Kano were to ever get a buff in the future, that's what I'd want.

D.Barrett

Pad Warrior
I just hope this thing about knife getting nerfed dosent happen. Otherwize kano really doesnt have much going for him.

Mgt2

Noob
I have noticed the random armor on EX straight ball. I accidentally did EX straight ball instead of up ball to catch my friend doing a jump during my wake up. The actual spinning in place motion absorbed the hit, and when i saw the gold flash i let go. Getting the hits and stopping his jumping 3. Regardless, I tried doing it again later and was unsuccessful. I dont understand if its not the spinning in place motion, or the actual fly across the screen, then is there armor in the transfer from rotating in place to the fly? Or is NRS just messing with us? O_O
no it is not random..

@pakostevens
Few ppl have asked this, Kano's enhanced straight ball has armor on it's initial startup (6 frames) before it can be charged.

http://twitter.com/#!/pakostevens

Mgt2

Noob
How can I fight a Skarlet player with Kano? Having some trouble with her but not a big issue.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
I dont see a Kano general or ask me so Ill ask here.

What are some corner combos?

I have a 33% midscreen bnb but no corner.

Also how much damage does choke do lol? I have no clue.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
they nerf the startup from upball and knife????? i thought only the recovery was nerfed :(

imo is kano useless now..
He's not useless, he just doesnt have all the tools he should have in the first place

I made a list of what he needs but people say it would make him OP but i call BS

He's not useless, he just doesnt have all the tools he should have in the first place

I made a list of what he needs but people say it would make him OP but i call BS
lol, i was wondering why i cant punish raiden and cyrax teleports so good like i was doing before he was nerft..
its still posible but u have to be a jedy :/

recovery is ok, but not startup, shame again u NRS