What's new

Kano strategy

cyke_out

Noob
His overhead may be a bit low but he does have a nice range on it, also remember that you can always cancel the combo strings into a chock to get pushed back if you get blocked.
Yeah, I know. but if they are handing out buffs while stop there! I'd love the last hit of b+1,1,2 to be a mid, stop after the b+1,1 and go into f+3 low as a mix-up.

And while, I'm making up random wishes, I'd like a million dollars.. and a blow job!

GStick

Noob
Absolutely can't wait for a Kano update. One other thing I would like to see happen is slightly less recovery on whiff Air Ball, for spacing, but I feel like that's not something they'd do. I'd love it though.

cyke_out

Noob
Dunno how many of you noticed this but Hector Sanchez had this to say about Kano:
RT @pakostevens: Kano's towards+fk will be a low. Wiff'd upballs will recover slightly faster for improved shenanigans.don't give up on him!

Another sneak update incoming?
They did mention faster recovery off of up balls? maybe we'll get some cross up gimmicks or something?

EDIT- my bad, you said air ball, not up ball.

Yeah, that would be sweet.

I also wonder if every single character with a move similiar to f+3, like nightwolf's f+3 will also be changed into a low.

They did mention faster recovery off of up balls? maybe we'll get some cross up gimmicks or something?
Vulcan Hades did show in his video that Up Ball can be used as a crossup gimmick but that it was really risky, with a better recovery it may become a valid option.

cyke_out

Noob
Does anyone know what kanoball beats?

vs Kabal's dash?
vs Raiden's fly?
vs any dive kick?
vs Reptile's elbow dash?
vs Kung's Spin?
vs Nightwolf's shoulder charge?
vs Johnny's shadow kick/flip kick?

We really need to start some matchup discussion, unfortunately without online I have 0 chances to play against anyone so all I can do is theorycraft stuff.

cpac

Noob
great news about the f+3 getting changed to a low...

i also have a question... how many of you are able to land Kano's jump kick into ex-airball pretty consistantly

i am practicing with this string 2, 1, 2, jump towards + 3, ex-airball

i can hit this string i just have a hard time hitting it back to back and a consistant basis... i play with the ps3 controller.. any of you who can hit it pretty consistantly have any tips on hitting it

great news about the f+3 getting changed to a low...

i also have a question... how many of you are able to land Kano's jump kick into ex-airball pretty consistantly

i am practicing with this string 2, 1, 2, jump towards + 3, ex-airball

i can hit this string i just have a hard time hitting it back to back and a consistant basis... i play with the ps3 controller.. any of you who can hit it pretty consistantly have any tips on hitting it
80% of the time, is just a jump in kick and then a :r:d:l:blk+:u, my problem some times is making it:en but you can always get the :en version if you press :blk during the :l

cyke_out

Noob
I hardly ever use EX moves in a combo, the few extra percents of damage, just don't seem worth losing a breaker or an x-ray, especially kano's x-ray because it makes people afraid to get close which helps him stay in zoning range. the threat of landing it is just as useful as actually landing it.

I hardly ever use EX moves in a combo, the few extra percents of damage, just don't seem worth losing a breaker or an x-ray, especially kano's x-ray because it makes people afraid to get close which helps him stay in zoning range. the threat of landing it is just as useful as actually landing it.
I know that but 39% is not something that can be just scraped, its all about the meter management, also, is almost the same damage as an :x and only cost 1 bar.

Mutton

Noob
Been playing a lot of Kano, not really liking his EX moves at all. Adding them onto the end of a combo for 2% more just doesn't seem like a smart use of meter; I'd rather do 37% or so and have a Breaker/XRay in the wings than get a chipped knife's worth of damage. I mean, if he gained super armor on an EX (or didn't have to charge his EX ball forever to get unblockable status) then I could see the utility in them. Issue is that they don't help link together combos and don't really add that much damage, at least compared to the usefulness of Breakers and his extremely threatening XRay

cyke_out

Noob
Been playing a lot of Kano, not really liking his EX moves at all. Adding them onto the end of a combo for 2% more just doesn't seem like a smart use of meter; I'd rather do 37% or so and have a Breaker/XRay in the wings than get a chipped knife's worth of damage. I mean, if he gained super armor on an EX (or didn't have to charge his EX ball forever to get unblockable status) then I could see the utility in them. Issue is that they don't help link together combos and don't really add that much damage, at least compared to the usefulness of Breakers and his extremely threatening XRay
Yeah, that is my point too. But the idea of doing 39% with one bar is very temtping too.

And does any else thinks it's sad that we are trying to squeeze out 39% with one bar when other characters get 40% or more with no bar in their sleep?

Yeah, that is my point too. But the idea of doing 39% with one bar is very temtping too.

And does any else thinks it's sad that we are trying to squeeze out 39% with one bar when other characters get 40% or more with no bar in their sleep?
Actually since Kano don't deal too much damage I think that a short combo that can do 33% would be enough, just look how Tom Brady Sub-Zero constantly goes for a 37% combo to be safe and effective.

I'm currently unable to try stuff or else I would test the damage output of a single launcher string into a jump in kick with Air Grab/Air Ball/:en Air Ball.

cyke_out

Noob
Actually since Kano don't deal too much damage I think that a short combo that can do 33% would be enough, just look how Tom Brady Sub-Zero constantly goes for a 37% combo to be safe and effective.

I'm currently unable to try stuff or else I would test the damage output of a single launcher string into a jump in kick with Air Grab/Air Ball/:en Air Ball.
The other side of it, is that Kano deals quite a bit damage outside of combo's. His Knife does more than the usual projectile, his ball is 11%, more than most forward moving specials like Raiden's fly, his air throw does more than other characters too. and his x-ray is the highest in the game.

Kano can put the hurt on someone with out combo's.

kinger

Noob
im pretty sure that the ex choke has some kind of armor but i dont know the exact details on it... im sure it might be usefull tho

Mutton

Noob
I'm still trying to find a good use for a choke. Perhaps using it in a blocked combo to space yourself a bit? Pretty much all combos do more damage by ending on a ball.

cyke_out

Noob
ending a blocked string with choke will leave you either neutral or at least -1 on block, making all special cancelable strings practically safe block strings.

This helps you apply more pressure with mix-ups, throw sets, cross over jumps...

Mutton

Noob
ending a blocked string with choke will leave you either neutral or at least -1 on block, making all special cancelable strings practically safe block strings.

This helps you apply more pressure with mix-ups, throw sets, cross over jumps...
Good thought; don't really see any other use for it though. Shame, since I do so enjoy strangling characters...

Good thought; don't really see any other use for it though. Shame, since I do so enjoy strangling characters...
Making unsafe strings safe is quite huge since in MK9 if you want to do a combo you have to commit to it, no turning back so using Choke to cancel said strings give you quite a powerful pressure tool.

^Wow, no, it's a very useful tool (strangle) as a combo ender if you want to remain close, opposed to ball's full-screen reset position.

-YMK-

Noob
^this
the choke is also an un-techable knockdown, and the EX choke switches sides. its pretty good for wake up too.
I kinda want it to be faster or have a small bit more range, itd be cool to be able to get it off 112 or f+1,1

Yeah having more range on the choke would be godlike. Right now it's about the same range as a normal throw.

Don't know if this was already mentionned:

-If overhead connects, you can link D+1 xx Ball for a nice 15% combo. The link is hard to do however, you can't just mash it.

-I takes around 3 seconds for the EX ball charge to become unblockable. One thing I like to do is go for BnB then let the opponent drop to the floor and immediately go for ex Ball charge. (especially in the corner) This creates an interesting situation. If opponent keeps blocking on wake up he'll eat the unblockable Ball. If he commits to jumping, you can early release to anti-air or delay the ball to catch the opponent as he lands. This is not very effective vs teleporters obviously.

-Ex up ball can be used as AA, anti-low attacks and anti-projectiles.

-You can end BnB 2, 1, 2 with a jump kick followed by air throw. A trick to "hit confirm" the throw is dash canceling into jump kick xx air throw. If you don't dash before jump kick then air throw might whiff depending on your spacing and timing.

Mutton

Noob
Yeah having more range on the choke would be godlike. Right now it's about the same range as a normal throw.

-If overhead connects, you can link D+1 xx Ball for a nice 15% combo. The link is hard to do however, you can't just mash it.

-I takes around 3 seconds for the EX ball charge to become unblockable. One thing I like to do is go for BnB then let the opponent drop to the floor and immediately go for ex Ball charge. (especially in the corner) This creates an interesting situation. If opponent keeps blocking on wake up he'll eat the unblockable Ball. If he commits to jumping, you can early release to anti-air or delay the ball to catch the opponent as he lands. This is not very effective vs teleporters obviously.

-Ex up ball can be used as AA, anti-low attacks and anti-projectiles.

-You can end BnB 2, 1, 2 with a jump kick followed by air throw. A trick to "hit confirm" the throw is dash canceling into jump kick xx air throw. If you don't dash before jump kick then air throw might whiff depending on your spacing and timing.
Good point on the jump kick -> air grab. Not sure if I agree with the EX Ball though; too many good wakeup attacks that will pretty much get free damage on you for doing that, or even force you to be in the corner

Combo thread, :l:bp:r:fp:d:r:bp for 21% and come out instantly, no need to do tricky :d:fp to show off your timing prowess. :p