What's new

Kano strategy

i agree that even though he is not a "top tier" character, he can absolutely still win matches, and he is certainly not going to be useless, but we probably won't see any top players using him at evo.

but yeah, no brady guide yet, maybe we are missing something.

Dietician

Deep Animu
He seems to be quite possibly the worst character in the game. Even still, it's not that bad.
He does have a beastly projectile and the balls can be great, but when people figure out they can just mash him down up close and he can't do anything and has no mix-ups even if they do manage to play terrible and get wrecked up close I don't see that happening.
Feels like i'm missing something. Damage on his normals and choke might just be unintentionally low and forward+BK may just be bugged with the high property.

He seems to be quite possibly the worst character in the game. Even still, it's not that bad.
He does have a beastly projectile and the balls can be great, but when people figure out they can just mash him down up close and he can't do anything and has no mix-ups even if they do manage to play terrible and get wrecked up close I don't see that happening.
Feels like i'm missing something. Damage on his normals and choke might just be unintentionally low and forward+BK may just be bugged with the high property.
Your analysis about him being the worst hurt my feeling... you avatar looking at me with those soulless and depressing eyes don't help. D:

Dietician

Deep Animu
Don't get me wrong; I love Kano.
Here are the combos I grinded out. These seem to be ideal.

b1,1,2, dash, 2,1,2, dash, b1,2, ball (33%)

I suspect b1,1,2, dash, 2,1,2, dash, f1,1, dash cancel, f1,2, ball may be possible

2,1,2, dash, f1,1, dash cancel, 2,1,2, dash, f1,2, ball (32%)

His choke is probably not supposed to be prorated. The hits just do 0% so just use ball. Seems messed up seeing as how choke's only purpose would be a combo ender.

for the dash cancels, you should be inputting a dash and seeing Kano move very little(if at all) before starting his next string. No, it's not like sub zero's little icicle bounces- these are hard.

They really messed up with Kano in this game, it's a shame. They should've gave him that parry move from MK vs. DC. I loved him in that game.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
I don't play Kano. But to say he's the worst in the game... no way. I play Sheeva. I've seen Baraka. Trust me. Kano is not the worst. Not even close...

Dietician

Deep Animu
My judgment of him being the worst character in the game is based on:

His face to face game is immediately stuffed by mashed normals.

Low reward even if you somehow do manage to get into a combo, on top of them probably the hardest to do (at least with ideal damage variants). The knockdown gained is also terrible.

Not having a cr.fp that hits low, any lows comboable into choke, or any mixup game at all.

Kano ball is stuffed by mashing normals mindlessly, it has to travel which can take quite a bit of time, and yet still has the "please kill me now" downside of a teleport punch on block. It is also cleanly beaten by similar abilities, such as Raiden's Electric Fly or Liu Kang's Flying Kick on top of just mashing normals.

His redeeming quality is his projectile, but being a projectile it's still a simple task to get around. Just not going to do as well as character beyond really low levels of play where you can reasonably expect to win with knife throws.

Baraka is for sure below average all around, but that's going to be more workable in higher levels of play than everything being stuffed by mashing with a great projectile. I don't even count Sheeva as a finished character- good god.

Sully

Noob
I understand what Dietician is saying, I don't know if I necessarily agree. I think the game is too new to know, much of the analysis is speculation. I'll play Kano regardless. The kinds of things that need to be looked at are not what CAN'T he do, but what one should do to best capitalize on his strengths. That was kind of something I was thinking about running his juggles in training mode.

Some of the other character threads talking about certain combos being better than other higher damaging ones because of positioning. Where does Kano want to be to give his matchups problems? I'm sure it's fight specific, but we've spent all this time talking about combos, what about practical execution of his techniques?

All the juggles seem to be able to open with b,1,1,2/2,1,2/f3,b2 so perhaps f3, b2 is better many times just because it's got substantially more reach? Is that the kind of things that can be taken advantage of? I'm just asking stuff because his juggles are fairly easy... I'm more curious about how one applies this knowledge.

GStick

Noob
^I've been doing some of b+fk,f+fp starter and it feels like if they block it you're pretty much screwed. Seems like that one should only be attempted on a safe jump, but I'm not entirely sure.

His :l:fp:fp:bp combo is the best for starting a combo regardless, :bp:fp:bp has better juggle window to avoid mistakes, but :l:fp:fp:bp not only lead to more damage, if they crouch and don't block to avoid a throw it hit them on the first hit which lead to his best juggle combos. :)bp:fp:bp only hit them on the second hit giving them time to react)

:r:fp:l:bp would be useless in all situations unless they patch it and make it hit low because it's too slow, unlike :bp:fp:bp which lead to less damage but is way faster to execute and easier to cancel into a special mid way.

cyke_out

Noob
The kinds of things that need to be looked at are not what CAN'T he do, but what one should do to best capitalize on his strengths.
I agree with this totally. People talking about mix-ups and pressure are only looking at what he can't do and are trying to play kano in a way where he won't succeed. But using Kano to Zone and Punish and focus only on that and one could go far with Kano.

kano may end up like guile in street fighter 4. If you are good, you can win with him against most players, but there will be a few bad matchups, and no one will play him at tournament level

in other words: a sucky character, but not the absolute worst.

Sully

Noob
Thanks, Man. I was just trying to mess with different stuff. It just seems that a lot of his game is just knife/kanoball zoning and setting up his juggles. He's not exactly a tricky one is he? I find him very fun to play, but I am looking for things to add to my game and it seems like there's much left to dig in and find. It's why I'm asking different stuff.

Should we get a matchup thread going? I'm just kind of curious if there's maybe some different Kano tricks besides the previously mentioned stuff. Training mode only gets me so far.

I'm sure it's been noted but I do find is overhead useful in some situations... I don't even know if it matters if you follow it up with F, 1 or 2 other than what the ideal position would be. Or should I just be throwing if I could overhead because of how slow it is?

cyke_out

Noob
kano may end up like guile in street fighter 4. If you are good, you can win with him against most players, but there will be a few bad matchups, and no one will play him at tournament level

in other words: a sucky character, but not the absolute worst.
No one besides Lamerboi and Dagger G.

As a Guile player myself, I love Kano. I'm just used to having a great anti-air and a great projectile, you give them those 2 things and I'm good.

Of course Guile also have amazing pokes and normals...

I'm sure it's been noted but I do find is overhead useful in some situations... I don't even know if it matters if you follow it up with F, 1 or 2 other than what the ideal position would be. Or should I just be throwing if I could overhead because of how slow it is?
Since all that change is the distance of the knockback, the best followup for his Overhead is :l:bp:r:fp:d:r:bp do to the damage output.

No one besides Lamerboi and Dagger G.

As a Guile player myself, I love Kano. I'm just used to having a great anti-air and a great projectile, you give them those 2 things and I'm good.

Of course Guile also have amazing pokes and normals...
i play guile as well, and would kill to give his c.mp, backfist and standing fierce to kano lol

Sully

Noob
I don't know if it's relevant or not, but there different characters uppercuts are different aren't they? Speed? What about range? I'm asking about these little nuances because there might be little tricks that may be of relevance by noticing stuff like this.

I will say this, I throw knives... a lot. I might as well be spamming them. If it's safe to throw a knife, I'm throwing 'em.

cyke_out

Noob
Yes, I know different characters have unique properties on their uppercuts and sweeps. for instance Johnny Cage has one of the best uppercut's in the game, it's the fastest uppercut and it has a huge range behind his head so it's easier to stop cross ups.

I don't know if it's relevant or not, but there different characters uppercuts are different aren't they? Speed? What about range? I'm asking about these little nuances because there might be little tricks that may be of relevance by noticing stuff like this.

I will say this, I throw knives... a lot. I might as well be spamming them. If it's safe to throw a knife, I'm throwing 'em.
Isn't Kano's Knife one of the quickest and most damaging projectiles of the game? why would you not spam that if you are far away? I think you can even recover fast enough to block a teleport punch unless they do it on reaction.

Sully

Noob
Honestly, Arcade, I hit up Kano so much I'm not really sure the properties of everyone else's moves. I mean I know what they do, but the little details are stuff I'm still learning. It's going to take some time to REALLY know the ins and outs of every matchup. Plus if you go look at the other character threads, there's plenty of tricks in development.

I dabble with a little Reptile, Kitana, and Sektor for shits and giggles, but I don't have anywhere near the time on them that I do Kano. I like Kano. . . although I also played Guile in SF4. This is getting a little weird.

You can't really chase the Knives like you could sonic booms to go all aggressive like you could with Guile though.

From testing, and mind you I don't know everyone 100% yet it seems you can indeed block immediately after Knife throws to punish teleports. I suppose if they did it on reaction it could be fast enough. Need someone to get the lab here with me to test this shit.

Since it seems he's fairly direct with his juggle combos/overhead responses, I'm seeing what other kind of things are potentially abusable with Kano. Knife throwing speed abuse is those most obvious. Denying any kind of aerial entry with up ball.

Anyone else a fan of JK + Throw? I'm not sure if blocks are auto switch if you hop over someone, and the people I'm playing might suck but sometimes I throw those out there just to mess with 'em a bit.

I know you can do it after the second 212 juggle as well for like 28% I think. . . can't remember exactly I'l have to look.

Honestly, Arcade, I hit up Kano so much I'm not really sure the properties of everyone else's moves. I mean I know what they do, but the little details are stuff I'm still learning. It's going to take some time to REALLY know the ins and outs of every matchup. Plus if you go look at the other character threads, there's plenty of tricks in development.

I dabble with a little Reptile, Kitana, and Sektor for shits and giggles, but I don't have anywhere near the time on them that I do Kano. I like Kano. . . although I also played Guile in SF4. This is getting a little weird.

You can't really chase the Knives like you could sonic booms to go all aggressive like you could with Guile though.

From testing, and mind you I don't know everyone 100% yet it seems you can indeed block immediately after Knife throws to punish teleports. I suppose if they did it on reaction it could be fast enough. Need someone to get the lab here with me to test this shit.

Since it seems he's fairly direct with his juggle combos/overhead responses, I'm seeing what other kind of things are potentially abusable with Kano. Knife throwing speed abuse is those most obvious. Denying any kind of aerial entry with up ball.

Anyone else a fan of JK + Throw? I'm not sure if blocks are auto switch if you hop over someone, and the people I'm playing might suck but sometimes I throw those out there just to mess with 'em a bit.

I know you can do it after the second 212 juggle as well for like 28% I think. . . can't remember exactly I'l have to look.
If you can follow up a jump in kick with a :en Air ball you will deal some awesome damage, actually Kano's most damaging combo use that as an ender for 39% damage.

ji:fp, :l:fp:fp:bp, :r:r, :bp:fp:bp, :r:r, ji:fk:en:r:d:l:r (Air) (39%)

Sully

Noob
Totally, but is that warranted with X-Ray grab doing so much potential damage? What I mean is, that I tend to try to do combos with Kano that do not use meter. I could be wrong on that judgement, but I tend to like to have the threat of thehis mean 'ol Kano grab.

Also, I was just messing with stuff, and it might have been posted, but you can upball after b2, f1 for 21% I didn't see what the damage was on b2, f1, df1 . . . as I was goofing off trying to see what could work off it. Wonder if you could you in an njp or something for some other potential combo stuff. Haven't tried, I may be way off base, but I guess that's why you try shit right?

Totally, but is that warranted with X-Ray grab doing so much potential damage? What I mean is, that I tend to try to do combos with Kano that do not use meter. I could be wrong on that judgement, but I tend to like to have the threat of thehis mean 'ol Kano grab.
Kano's :x does 41% but has no way to combo it, the best thing to do is setup it but in all possible setups it is jumpable on reaction, however his most risky setup can lead to 52%, on the other hand his best juggle combo does 39% with 1 bar, so all depends of what you want to do, play mind games and see if you can bait your opponent to block to land his :x, pressure your opponent and deal 39% with a juggle and have enough meter for a breaker or play a heavy zoning game and punish.