What's new

Kano strategy

I think he's very good. Straight balls are as great punishers as always, and up ball is a great anti-air. Knives serve their purpose as projectiles. His poking is generally safe stuff, as well. He reminds me of T.Hawk a lot with his air ball.
If NRS ever change anything in Kano it should be his :r:fk hitting high, I can't understand why the heck they didn't give a kick to the opponents ankle a low property, it would give Kano a mix up game to prevent people to block high all day.

Mgt2

Noob
One thing though, the :r:fp:bp dont work if you jump in, as I mentioned in a previous post, if you do :r:fp:bp after a jump in, fore some reason the :bp animation become the :bp animation of the :l:fp:bp string

It's funny because you can do jump in, :r:fp:fp:bp and the :fp:bp animation will be the one from the :l:fp:fp:bp string.
Interesting, I like to jump in with BP. FP for overhead Jump? I hope I am not confusing the buttons. Yet to learn the whole input name stuff... <.<

Interesting, I like to jump in with BP. FP for overhead Jump? I hope I am not confusing the buttons. Yet to learn the whole input name stuff... <.<
Oh, I meant a jump in punch sorry, basically you can't do Jump in punch :r:fp:bp (which have a lot of stagger effect) because the game think you are doing a :l:fp for some reason. It does lead to the same damage but :r:fp:bp have more stagger if it connect.

And sorry if I'm confusing you, English is not my main language so I may make a mistake here and there and screw things up. D:
that and I like to see bright round icons for notations rater than 1,2,3 and 4. XD

Mgt2

Noob
Oh, I meant a jump in punch sorry, basically you can't do Jump in punch :r:fp:bp (which ave a lot of stagger effect) because the game thing you are doing a :l:fp for some reason. It does lead to the same damage but :r:fp:bp have more stagger if it connect.

And sorry if I'm confusing you, English is not my main language so I may make a mistake here and there and screw things up. D:
that and I like to see bright round icons for notations rater than 1,2,3 and 4. XD
I am in the same boat as you, English is not my main language "Spanish" but do not worry about it. XD

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
If NRS ever change anything in Kano it should be his :r:fk hitting high, I can't understand why the heck they didn't give a kick to the opponents ankle a low property, it would give Kano a mix up game to prevent people to block high all day.
Yeah, I think that should hit low.

Yeah, I think that should hit low.
The problem is, would NRS be whiling to do a change like that? I just can't imaging Check & CO testing the game and don't noticing it was a bit weird, I mean, it would be a small change that would help us a lot but I don't know if NRS would actually change something like that, it's so weird that I have this feeling it was on purpose.

hjs-Q

Noob
I think he's very good. Straight balls are as great punishers as always, and up ball is a great anti-air. Knives serve their purpose as projectiles. His poking is generally safe stuff, as well. He reminds me of T.Hawk a lot with his air ball.
True, but compared to others he's lacking....

@Arcade-Fever - totally agree. I think he's one of the few characters in the game who really has no mix up at all.

Einhander

Unknown
I'm pretty glad we got a decently active Kano thread with some good discussion, but I'm sorta lookingt forward to see what Tom Brady has for Kano too.

I do feel like Kano has some good set-ups for safe jumps on hit, but not sure about those strings on block. I really wish training mode had a move playback so I can test out what's safe and punishable.

And speaking of punishing. Can you only punish telelport punches while they are in the spin animation in the air after getting blocked, or is there a window once they land where I can go into my B+1,1,2 starter for free?
Actually some friends and I tested and whenever they're in a spin animation like that i.e. teleport punches (smoke) or raidens air tackle, Yon pretty much wait until they land and still get your standing launch combo's before they can block or jump.

cyke_out

Noob
Actually some friends and I tested and whenever they're in a spin animation like that i.e. teleport punches (smoke) or raidens air tackle, Yon pretty much wait until they land and still get your standing launch combo's before they can block or jump.
Sweet thanks for that. Again, I'd kill for a move record/playbock option.

Can you please test with your friend if this setups work for Kano's :x

I still need someone to test if it's possible to jump his :x after a :fp:fp, :bp:fp, :r:fp:fp or :r:fp:bp, in those 4 strings his :x get a 1% damage scaling if not blocked.
Sorry for my self quote but didn't feel like retyping it. XD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Guys, if what Wonder_Chef say about being unable to move in any way while you are in stagger state in "THIS THREAD" is true, then that means that the combo strings with stagger state I mentioned before that have a 1% scaling on Kano's :x are meant to land his :x 100% of the time since it is a grab an all they would be able to do in stagger state is block.

EDIT: Guys, if what Wonder_Chef say about being unable to move in any way while you are in stagger state in "THIS THREAD" is true, then that means that the combo strings with stagger state I mentioned before that have a 1% scaling on Kano's :x are meant to land his :x 100% of the time since it is a grab an all they would be able to do in stagger state is block.
HMM...this is very interesting! I gotta test it with a friend..

Noodlz

Noob
Played around with Kano a lil today, i think the fact that he's missing lows is that he was designed to make the enemy keep blocking given his throw Xray. i believe conditioning the enemy to block is in his advantage as he can either do an overhead combo if they're crouching low, throw them/xray them, or use his safe (i think its safe anyway) 212 or 11 pressure strings to push them to the corner and mixup. I think 11 on hit does stagger too, so you could dash block in and either bait a punish or if the keep blocking you can do the mixup all over again. Aside from being a defensive punish type of character, i think Kano could potentially be a close range pressure type with the stagger strings/throw/overhead combo mixups

I could be wrong though =P Would love to have confirmation from people who are more experienced with MK that my theory is right

Mgt2

Noob
Can you please test with your friend if this setups work for Kano's :x

Sorry for my self quote but didn't feel like retyping it. XD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So my X ray setup is perfect? :confused:

So my X ray setup is perfect? :confused:
I need human testing, but setting the CPU to jump scrap all my hype because it can jump just before the :x land which make that 1% scaling stupid.

So basically, the only way to land the :x with our stagger would be if they have lag which is extremely annoying since it useless offline, why give Kano a stagger effect on his moves if it's useless? Sonya stagger on her forward kick even allow her to do a jump in attack. D:

Mgt2

Noob
I need human testing, but setting the CPU to jump scrap all my hype because it can jump just before the :x land which make that 1% scaling stupid.

So basically, the only way to land the :x with our stagger would be if they have lag which is extremely annoying since it useless offline, why give Kano a stagger effect on his moves if it's useless? Sonya stagger on her forward kick even allow her to do a jump in attack. D:
ahh that sucks. It is a shame because it had a lot potential the setup. :(

cyke_out

Noob
So I guess X-ray can only be done by punishing a move with alot of recovery frames or using it's armor to eat an attack and still get the throw.

yeah, i think that unless people find out some crazy stuff with him, or a major pro picks him up, he'll stay an obscure choice. My bigger problem is that without a good low attack (other than sweep) his close range options might be too minimal for him to be much better than lower mid tier. His overhead is ok, leads to some damage, but isn't the fastest ever, its his lack of lows that might really kill him. not to mention his zoning game falls apart against teleporters.

no teleport, little mixups, fairly weak combo's (so far)

bright sides = airthrow, great projectile, good antiair, neatly trimmed beard

yeah, i think that unless people find out some crazy stuff with him, or a major pro picks him up, he'll stay an obscure choice. My bigger problem is that without a good low attack (other than sweep) his close range options might be too minimal for him to be much better than lower mid tier. His overhead is ok, leads to some damage, but isn't the fastest ever, its his lack of lows that might really kill him. not to mention his zoning game falls apart against teleporters.

no teleport, little mixups, fairly weak combo's (so far)

I want his beard so badly. D:

do you think we can convince NRS to change is :r:fk property from high to low as a balance measure to make him more viable? he has 0 Low attack in his string and Raiden have like 3 or 4.

to be honest, i think that attack probably started as a low, and then they nerfed it and made it high. which makes me think 1 of two things

1) kano still has some powerful stuff that has not been found yet so he needed a nerf

or

2) the dev team specifically didn't want kano to be a top tier contender.

I think both of these are equally possible. I am hoping number 1 is true though. Playing low tier is not new for me though, so i'll make do either way.

i guess there is a secret option 3) that kick was meant to be a low, and is a high on accident, and will get patched. i find this to be pretty unlikely though.

one more thought: kano DOES have a very good sweep, maybe they decided that was good enough. I've been successful by simply sweeping twice, then doing the overhead combo, works a lot of the time. still not as good as being able to land +25% off a low though.

to be honest, i think that attack probably started as a low, and then they nerfed it and made it high. which makes me think 1 of two things

1) kano still has some powerful stuff that has not been found yet so he needed a nerf

or

2) the dev team specifically didn't want kano to be a top tier contender.

I think both of these are equally possible. I am hoping number 1 is true though. Playing low tier is not new for me though, so i'll make do either way.

i guess there is a secret option 3) that kick was meant to be a low, and is a high on accident, and will get patched. i find this to be pretty unlikely though.

one more thought: kano DOES have a very good sweep, maybe they decided that was good enough. I've been successful by simply sweeping twice, then doing the overhead combo, works a lot of the time. still not as good as being able to land +25% off a low though.
I've had these exact same theories before. I hope it's number 3 lol. Kano has some awesome potential.

The only thing that still give me a small ray of hope is, technically we seam to have discovered all the things Kano can do which aren't that spectacular or hard to do, yet Tom Brandy haven't posted a strategy guide for Kano, which make me believe that something must be wrong or we may be missing something about him.

cyke_out

Noob
I think his bright sides, help him in every single match-up.

I have no delusions, he is squarely in mid tier status, but he's no so bad as to never have a chance in any match-up.

Teleporters do make his zoning difficult, but if he baits and blocks he can get good 33% off of a punish- which isn't the biggest damage, but it's enough to discourage random teleports.