What's new

Guide - Cutthroat Kano Hype Train Video by Pig of the Hut & Machinima

Status
Not open for further replies.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I've spent the weekend playing almost all Cutthroat, and it actually made me feel like a dirty, dirty whore.

I mean, I still got clocked a few times for being dumb, but aside from that, it was just gross. I don't even like CT aside from the sound effects, I play Cybernetic, but it is head and shoulders too comfy not to use if you're going to play Kano. I don't mean overpowered to the point cashing in wins for free, I mean just smooth as butter to the point of why would you want to make being Kano any more difficult than it has to be?

But Balanced is still booty groceries.

What the hell.
I think it comes down to this. The character has great long range normals and mids (F4, F2) that are either completely safe on their own (F4) or can be made safe with his now safe slice (F21~slice). This gives him great midscreen authority. The character can punish with an 8f jab, for well over 40 percent with a bar of meter.

He has a stupidly good low profiling long range d4, and while his d1 is slow, a 7f d3 is no joke. He has a counter poke blowup tool based around ex kano ball, and can stagger his 11 strings and build some pretty rediculous meter. Not only that, but he has a very usable projectile that also allows him to build meter. Air kano ball is pretty damn good against a lot of projectiles as well.

The character can be beaten, but he is an all around strong fundamental character.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Great vid and good luck on future endeavors. I've heard not so great things about Machinima and their contracts with their content creators, so my advice is to tread lightly.

Good shit though. Remember when I said we would be better off streaming and making content oppose to competing? This is exactly what I had in mind. We aren't all SonicFox. @Pig Of The Hut

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Great vid and good luck on future endeavors. I've heard not so great things about Machinima and their contracts with their content creators, so my advice is to tread lightly.

Good shit though. Remember when I said we would be better off streaming and making content oppose to competing? This is exactly what I had in mind. We aren't all SonicFox. @Pig Of The Hut
No one is sonic fox, there is only one

And there are no pig of the huts

GAMETIME

I Bring Knives To A Gun Fight !
Kano really doesn't have to risk much, maybe make a read every now and then but he doesn't have "obvious weakness". He's a complete character with all the tools you'd want a character to have but FAR from broken.he has all the tools you want but specializes in none.

decent pressure, decent zoning, decent 50/50s ( overhead is safe but the low starter is not , it's not A completely safe 50/50) decent damage( if you're not in the corner you're getting probably know more then 32%) very meter hungry but is not a weakness, you just have to use meter wisely because you need it for everything. Kano is no doubt top 10 or higher but if you're picking him up thinking you're going to win easily you're in for a rude awakening

. Pretty much all ( Maybe except like 2 mus) of his match ups are 5-5 and 6-4( some winning some losing) if he fits your style go for it, but it's going to take work

Belial

Noob
This is an excellent video, both motivational and educatuional. Well put together, informative, much respect to Pig, hope to see more of this.

All the negative answers its getting are just unjust. If CT Kano starts seeing more play due to this video and eventually prove to be too strong he indeed may get nerfed. But it doesnt matter if he was like this since day1 or not.

To all Kano-main-haters I can only say this: "enjoy while it lasts" instead of posting spiteful comments.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Where's the risk in a neutral overhead, a plus low and a 12f mid you can cancel into -5?
His backdash also makes already safe strings even safer. As reptile, I am afraid to counterpoke his -5 slash with my main mid string (f41), as he can actually punish that if he backdashes and then immediately does f4. It's really dumb. I have to impotently d1 or make a hard read on the backdash, which gets blown up if I'm wrong.

ando1184

Noob
I bet if pig had of made a vid saying CT Kano is low mid and needs buffs, the Kano community would have been like: Couldn't agree more, he is unsafe on everything and needs to damage himself to do combos over 60%.

Seriously though, thx for the vid and I hope we will see more vids from you in the future that bring out the best of certain character so I can contemplate playing them and the worst of certain communities so I can add them to my ignore list. I mean your hitting two birds with one stone for me!
No, we've all agreed that CT was best all around variant suited for MKX. Since the beginning of this games life we have only asked for Cyber and Commando buffs and fixes, that's all.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Kano really doesn't have to risk much, maybe make a read every now and then but he doesn't have "obvious weakness". He's a complete character with all the tools you'd want a character to have but FAR from broken.he has all the tools you want but specializes in none.

decent pressure, decent zoning, decent 50/50s ( overhead is safe but the low starter is not , it's not A completely safe 50/50) decent damage( if you're not in the corner you're getting probably know more then 32%) very meter hungry but is not a weakness, you just have to use meter wisely because you need it for everything. Kano is no doubt top 10 or higher but if you're picking him up thinking you're going to win easily you're in for a rude awakening

. Pretty much all ( Maybe except like 2 mus) of his match ups are 5-5 and 6-4( some winning some losing) if he fits your style go for it, but it's going to take work
Why would you not cancel the low into slice though? I dont see any situation where you dont cancel the low into either slice, EX Buff, or EX knives so I fail to see how its not a safe 50/50. Maybe in the corner since b312 is an actual combo starter you might have a point but midscreen it should always be safe.

GAMETIME

Why would you not cancel the low into slice though? I dont see any situation where you dont cancel the low into either slice, EX Buff, or EX knives so I fail to see how its not a safe 50/50. Maybe in the corner since b312 is an actual combo starter you might have a point but midscreen it should always be safe.
I guess it's preference , because your right you can do that , but i don't do that often , depending on what I need my meter for

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
His backdash also makes already safe strings even safer. As reptile, I am afraid to counterpoke his -5 slash with my main mid string (f41), as he can actually punish that if he backdashes and then immediately does f4. It's really dumb. I have to impotently d1 or make a hard read on the backdash, which gets blown up if I'm wrong.
Can't ye catch his backdash with a f2, or f21?

GAMETIME

Fair enough but in that case why not cancel into slice? Even if it hits you just get another free 50/50 and if its blocked your safe. I just don't see why you would do nothing after it.
That's what I do, but I don't often commit to the ex db1 or do ex buff (like I said it just depends on what I'm using my meter )

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
TYM now has become a place for the Prinz, God confirms, aldazos and made of metals

A place where people w zero history in fighting games and lack of merit give strong opinions of game design, quality of characters, tier positions and now pollute the forums w insatiable waste.

I'll just put u fools on "ignore" and post for those who enjoy although TYM seems to be on life support due to these posters
And the experienced players like you should be here educating all the newcomers to our scene, stop with all the passive aggressive, elitist and childish ballshit and just talk about the game.

By responding like this you make the scene look bad to newcomers. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if they want to be assholes just let them, don't bring yourself down to their level. Just my 2 cents for whatever it's worth.

Edit: After reading the whole thread I don't think you handled things that badly. Just sometimes your attitude can come across as very condescending and elitist in some reploes, it's not too great for newcomers to the scene. Great video though!

Last edited:

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
Any "weakness" that this character has is inconsequential. Honestly the only weaknesses he has is that he loses to a few characters(I can only think of 2 losing matchups off the top of my head) and doesn't have a 6 frame poke. He checks absolutely all the other boxes a character needs. Coach Steve said in his thread that this character is definitely braindead(correct me if I'm not remembering this correctly). Now I'm not using his opinion to try and validate my own, but if one of(if not the best) Kano players in the world says the cutthroat variation is fucked then maybe it's time to sit back and listen a bit.
Kano CT is not brain dead. You still need fundamentals to do anything and have meter management skills.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm

Holy shit, Gametime is here.

Also: you nailed it.

#thisthreadcounts
#itsofficial

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Its about space control, so he make himself safe.
What? Cyber can space control so that makes him more safe? Really?

The only space control tools Cyber has that Cutthroat is his piss poor knife, B2 which a baby could hit him out of, and a different b1.

Meanwhile, Cutthroat has f2 which has comparable range to Cyber's B2 but with better priority and db1.

Cutthroat is definitely safer

Status
Not open for further replies.