What's new

Match-up Discussion Joker Matchup Discussion

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
trades do nothing

his sidearm has more adv than yours, his trait blows you up and zodballs contain you
Yeah I just looked at that... 15 frames on hit? GTFO... damn. So dash inbetween on block and just hold down once you're hit. Can Joker jump over Zod balls? Or do we pretty much just have to sit on block once one is out or sneak in a gunshot before it reaches us? Should be able to at least punish one with a gunshot, then deal with the ball after that, right?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Some footage of Gilbagz from the shadowloo australian tournament http://www.twitch.tv/shadowloohq/b/469415427

at 1:20 in until 1:27 i believe

some personal observations

no use of the free reset that background interactibles grant in atlantis and metropolis streets

bad clashes at multiple times, there was a situation where you were caught in a mixup at full life when she had 40% tops, i would have kept the meter because she is so meter dependant that even if she were to clash a j3 b1 super youd still win the clash with full meter. dont panic on the 50/50s

throwing teeth when shes close is good, also bait teleport with a couple of gunshots, at certain points i just abuse the hell out of gunshot to bait a teleport

hit confirm strings, when you do j2 into 213 just do 21 and hitconfirm into 3 on block or mb rlb on hit and dont immediately press MB once the gas can hits

More use of D2 and crowbar in footsies and d2 after j3, if they move they get launched for full combo while on block you are safe, also dont let her just dash in for free, keep her out.

dont go for reset combos if you know he likes mashing wakeups, i could tell that he paniced every single time you layed down teeth on a knockdown.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Yeah I just looked at that... 15 frames on hit? GTFO... damn. So dash inbetween on block and just hold down once you're hit. Can Joker jump over Zod balls? Or do we pretty much just have to sit on block once one is out or sneak in a gunshot before it reaches us? Should be able to at least punish one with a gunshot, then deal with the ball after that, right?
zod ball cant be punished on reaction with gunshot, only anticipation

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Some footage of Gilbagz from the shadowloo australian tournament http://www.twitch.tv/shadowloohq/b/469415427

at 1:20 in until 1:27 i believe

some personal observations

no use of the free reset that background interactibles grant in atlantis and metropolis streets

bad clashes at multiple times, there was a situation where you were caught in a mixup at full life when she had 40% tops, i would have kept the meter because she is so meter dependant that even if she were to clash a j3 b1 super youd still win the clash with full meter. dont panic on the 50/50s

throwing teeth when shes close is good, also bait teleport with a couple of gunshots, at certain points i just abuse the hell out of gunshot to bait a teleport

hit confirm strings, when you do j2 into 213 just do 21 and hitconfirm into 3 on block or mb rlb on hit and dont immediately press MB once the gas can hits

More use of D2 and crowbar in footsies and d2 after j3, if they move they get launched for full combo while on block you are safe, also dont let her just dash in for free, keep her out.

dont go for reset combos if you know he likes mashing wakeups, i could tell that he paniced every single time you layed down teeth on a knockdown.
Yeah I played prettty bad in general
Clashes were horrible, didnt play the match up well at all

Played the match up a lot better in casuals after, but thats casuals lol

Main things i gotta improve
- more neutral game teeth to open up my gunshot game counter zoning game
- mixing up 2,1,3 and 2,1 b1 (hit confirming 2,1 rlg)
- parrying wake up cartwheel after throwing teeth on knockdown
- punishing his dash in and whiff punishing his b1,2. Alot of the time i tried to whiff punish b1,2 but was too slow and got launched by by the 2.
- i also have reset set ups that blow up people who mash wake up. just kept dropping it T.T

Only my crappy match was on stream lol

StevoSuprem0

Stevo v Qwark matchup tool debate update:
I was wrong two counts brought up today, and the third we were both kinda right.
1. Lobo's hook charge does in fact have a small hole between the wakeup invincibility and the armor activation on MB where it is vulnerable. Conveniently, this coincides well with a mb f3 following the super hard KD into teeth setup in the corner. So that works on Lobo.
2. DD venom indeed down not escape this same situation. It's worth noting, however, that upward venom will not escape either, but will cause you to switch sides during the f3 and put him out of the corner, behind you.
3.Green Lantern. So the situation was, if GL lands a f3 on you, he is at +5 and has a good opportunity to slip in his bullshit 9 frame toe kick into a combo. I said low parry, Qwark said backdash. It turns out that backdashing is space dependent. If he is right in your face when he uses f3, the b1 will catch you mid backdash. If it's not and you space him out a little by holding back or simply being farther away when he goes for it, the backdash will escape. You can't punish with a standing 3 or any of the others starters due to the space between you, but you can establish pressure while he is on recovery frames, throw down a rlg to try and catch him, or flower/gun/whatever. Parrying will work in both of those situations. Arguably, it's riskier, but still a valid option. And as was also said, you can just block the b1 and then parry either the 2 or 3 (b12 and b13 are the full strings), with 3 being a reaaaalllyy tight window (offline timing: right as GL's shoulders are starting to turn following the b1).

StevoSuprem0

Any blocked sweep is really easily full combo punished by Green Lantern's b1. He doesn't even need to think against Joker, he can just sit there spamming that shit all day, and we gotta sit on block until a small window opens where we can try to poke or jump out. 21 can kinda punish in some spots, but I just started trying that towards the end. Flower does not function well against him as a wakeup alot of the time either because for some reason his f3 gets to be a 19f anti-airing, hitbox shifting, bullshit move that he can use so quickly when he's getting up that it might as well be a wakeup.
Basically, we can't really tango with him up close, and we can kinda zone him, but not really because he can just jump/duck around it and be safe, forcing us to make a move if we are down on life, which plays right into his hand because of how reactionarily he can be played, or slowly force us into the corner. Idk, there are ways around some stuff, I just had a rough night with it lol. Rant over. I'll clear my head and write something better tomorrow after Qwark blows me up for being stupid :p

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Stevo v Qwark matchup tool debate update:
I was wrong two counts brought up today, and the third we were both kinda right.
1. Lobo's hook charge does in fact have a small hole between the wakeup invincibility and the armor activation on MB where it is vulnerable. Conveniently, this coincides well with a mb f3 following the super hard KD into teeth setup in the corner. So that works on Lobo.
2. DD venom indeed down not escape this same situation. It's worth noting, however, that upward venom will not escape either, but will cause you to switch sides during the f3 and put him out of the corner, behind you.
3.Green Lantern. So the situation was, if GL lands a f3 on you, he is at +5 and has a good opportunity to slip in his bullshit 9 frame toe kick into a combo. I said low parry, Qwark said backdash. It turns out that backdashing is space dependent. If he is right in your face when he uses f3, the b1 will catch you mid backdash. If it's not and you space him out a little by holding back or simply being farther away when he goes for it, the backdash will escape. You can't punish with a standing 3 or any of the others starters due to the space between you, but you can establish pressure while he is on recovery frames, throw down a rlg to try and catch him, or flower/gun/whatever. Parrying will work in both of those situations. Arguably, it's riskier, but still a valid option. And as was also said, you can just block the b1 and then parry either the 2 or 3 (b12 and b13 are the full strings), with 3 being a reaaaalllyy tight window (offline timing: right as GL's shoulders are starting to turn following the b1).
backdash after blocking b1 and punish with your own

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Any blocked sweep is really easily full combo punished by Green Lantern's b1. He doesn't even need to think against Joker, he can just sit there spamming that shit all day, and we gotta sit on block until a small window opens where we can try to poke or jump out. 21 can kinda punish in some spots, but I just started trying that towards the end. Flower does not function well against him as a wakeup alot of the time either because for some reason his f3 gets to be a 19f anti-airing, hitbox shifting, bullshit move that he can use so quickly when he's getting up that it might as well be a wakeup.
Basically, we can't really tango with him up close, and we can kinda zone him, but not really because he can just jump/duck around it and be safe, forcing us to make a move if we are down on life, which plays right into his hand because of how reactionarily he can be played, or slowly force us into the corner. Idk, there are ways around some stuff, I just had a rough night with it lol. Rant over. I'll clear my head and write something better tomorrow after Qwark blows me up for being stupid :p
Lol yeah. For me GL is my toughest match up. You've seen my post from before but lantern controls the screen outside of full full screen
Its only worth zoning him when you have a huge lifelead, or if you notice the lantern is impatient. You cant win through zoning alone. One dash of the gun and hes back in his air rocket range. You need to go in till you reach his b1,3 range. From here you just gotta wait. He can aa you on reaction and check you with b1. You can try guess jump the b1 but its mega risky. (Idk if the wait strategy is the smartest but its the safest option.)
If you space yourself well you can whiff punish b1 with b1,3 or if your on point f2,3 but its really hard to space yourself at that perfect range cuz gl's walk speed out classes jokers.
What i generally do is like what qwark said, be ready to back dash b1,3. If you back dash you get a free b1,3 or free b1,crowbar. Make your choice based on positioning. If your back is to the corner take b1,3 cuz it grants a safe cross over j2. (He can try aa with d1,d2 but based on your j2 timing you can beat those options.
Once he wisens up to this he will no naked b1 gatling gun. This is what you want. After blocking gatling gun we get a safe jump 2. He cannot aa you with d2 or lift. You have to commit to the j2 though otherwise you will be anti aired. Make sure you learn the timing otherwise you will be aa'r.
If he mb gatling guns just block and dash back in. He only has so much meter.

Once you reach zero range, i.e he blocks a j2. He cannot duck 2,1,2 so run that teeth mindgame. If he plays safe and always jump backs, insta j3 will beat him. The guessing game is against us but its one of our better options. I think 2,1 whiffs on crouch block so we can't get the 2,1 b1 frame trap. After 2,1,2 teeth its all about the read. You make the right read you slowly push him into the corner. If he starts b1ing get ready for the push block trap.
Once you reach the corner the match up is much more even, his wake up is mega punishable so every knockdown is a guess for him if you know your knockdown set ups.

Now for your knockdown. You can react to the f3 b1 50/50 but know you'll probably eat grabs allday.
Wake up acid flower beats b1 and meaty f3. If he delays f3 to beat acid flower you can dash out and whiff punish with f3. You need to be able to make that read though. You cant be afraid of forward dashing on wake up. It'll beat that f3 if he delays to blow up wake ups. If he starts mb f3ing you just have to block.
A similar thing applies with the j3 fake cross over stuff. If its meaty wake up flower usually wins. If its not you can dash out.
Tl;dr: you alwaya have the option to block on knockdown. But if you start noticing pattern try to make the dash read on delayed f3. It nets you the most damage.

One final thing
Gun cancels do work up close to help get in, but once the gl wisens up he'll lift on reaction to gun. If you fire it should beat lift, however if he ducks a gunshot thats a free lift punish. In general i wouldnt recommend using gunshot from within lift range.

This match is hard man but it is winnable. Just have to make sure you capitalise on all opportunities. One touch can spell death for lantern if you convert everything. His punishable wake up hurts him bad.
With my midscreen teeth set up there is a very delayed teeth timing which still hits meaty enough to prevent jump/dash outs and allows you to reverse his wake up and punish. But you need to hit that initial combo which is hard against a smart lantern.

Just my thoughts on the match
3-7 imo

I'm glad I wasn't the only one discussing this, on that note what about gl's 50/50? How well is joker able to punish gl?

Sent from my LGMS769 using Tapatalk

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
You don't punish GL lol.

One thing in the GL matchup is to see if the player can hit confirm b13, if they can't then it's a problem for them

B13 into trait can anything but lift can be jumped for a full combo, if the GL player is smart he will hit confirm into trait on hit, minigun on block.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
And for the love of god don't gun cancel, all GL has to do is duck and imediatelly lift on reaction to the gun

StevoSuprem0

If I am down on life and have to close in, the only time I gun cancel is if I am fullscreen because that first dash isn't liftable, or if I know my opponent isn't gonna react fast enough to lift based on past experience. Otherwise, yeah, it's way too risky.
Most GL's I see now usually cancel on blocked b13 into trait and then those overhead rockets. You can punish that simply by dashing into his face, which causes them to go over you. I also see bullet and minigun- is bullet jumpable? I tried it a few times and didn't make it over it, but may have been a little too slow on the inputs.

StevoSuprem0

Was curious what everyone thinks about trying to parry instead of block against Bane when we are standing up. Here's my thought process:
Double punch and venum uppercut are both parry-able with normal parry, as well as his overhead starter string.
The command throw and his low starter are both countered by low parry, where the command throw whiffs (I think this is still true...) and the low obviously gets parried.
Neutral jumping is also an option and a way better punish if you read that command throw, but you're getting punished by every other option he has there if you guess wrong (unless you can jump over the low starter fast enough, depends on their timing).
So maybe neutral jump on the command throw read, parry everything else? Or is blocking a more valid option? I figured parry would help to eat up venum time and help space out the neutral game a bit, whereas most of his strings are safe on block (especially now with the venum uppercut buff) so even if we block, we're kinda at a disadvantage.
Thoughts?

Abbneto

God's only man, spared by the Butcher.
I don't know, I beg to differ about the "Not having to think" portion. I DEFINITELY thought of doing b1 to punish sweep :p <3