What's new

Johnny Cage Teased by Ed Boon

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
Id rather not see a young Johnny at all, not every character needs a younger version. Liu Kang and Kung Lao at least make sense, but Johnny would be just comical stuff, nothing interesting or needed for the storyline.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Id rather not see a young Johnny at all, not every character needs a younger version. Liu Kang and Kung Lao at least make sense, but Johnny would be just comical stuff, nothing interesting or needed for the storyline.
Well in terms of skins, every Trilogy character gets a young and an old, that's just what NRS does. They did it in MKX too and that game didn't even have time travel.

As for whether young Johnny needs to play a role in the story... the less young versions of existing characters we waste time on, the better.

I'm happy that Johnny's back ! I would have prefered a new character or a returning one from previous MKs like Noob for the next week, but I'm happy anyways.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
“We have tons of surprises coming. Fans are going to be shocked about who we put in this game.”
Proceeds to reveal characters who have all been in at least one of the last two games.
Why would they play their best cards first? You need to build hype toward release, not reveal everything all at once then let the hype die right before release.

People just need to relax. Dutch has a plan.

Cassie Cyrus

Well in terms of skins, every Trilogy character gets a young and an old, that's just what NRS does. They did it in MKX too and that game didn't even have time travel.

As for whether young Johnny needs to play a role in the story... the less young versions of existing characters we waste time on, the better.
I only meant in storymode, I don’t mind many young variant skins for regular fights.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
So is everyone just going to bitch every game when the original 7 always make the cut? You do realize those are the 7 characters your casual fan recognizes, right? Your buddy who only plays sports games but thinks he's good at Tekken because he mashes Eddy strings doesn't give a shit about Mavado or whatever obscure character people are begging for this week. He likes Johnny Cage because he can punch people in the nuts.

These characters are NEVER going anywhere. It's like complaining that the original 8 World Warriors are still in Street Fighter games.
I've been playing Tekken since 1995 man. Kazuya, Heihachi, Nina, Paul, Yoshi, King, Law, Kuma, Jack, and Chang??!!? Literally every single game they are in or missed one game total. Off the top of my head I think only Kazuya missed Tekken 3 for Jin (who also has been in every game since) in that group. Or how about the Kazama/Mishima family tree storylines?

I remember the last game where everyone was clamoring for Kunimitsu (very similar to the Havik/Fujin/other garbo 3D chars), and when she was added barely anyone used her. No one truly cares about the obscure characters. Mind-boggling some people don't understand why mainstay characters, well, stay.

I've been playing Tekken since 1995 man. Kazuya, Heihachi, Nina, Paul, Yoshi, King, Law, Kuma, Jack, and Chang??!!? Literally every single game they are in or missed one game total. Off the top of my head I think only Kazuya missed Tekken 3 for Jin (who also has been in every game since) in that group. Or how about the Kazama/Mishima family tree storylines?

I remember the last game where everyone was clamoring for Kunimitsu (very similar to the Havik/Fujin/other garbo 3D chars), and when she was added barely anyone used her. No one truly cares about the obscure characters. Mind-boggling some people don't understand why mainstay characters, well, stay.
Except I and many other people used Kunimitsu, Tag 2 increased her popularity. hell I saw more Kunimitsus online than I did Kuma and Panda and especially Marduk or Ganryu. She was probably the most unique since everybody else were highly derivative clones.

And why are we comparing MK to Tekken anyway, a game that has largely kept a majority of its fighters from tekken 5 onward for so long that Tekken 7s base roster alone is bigger than the expected roster of MK11 plus DLC?

MK doesnt do that, they shuffle the cast around every new game keeping the 7 from MK1+Kitana. Other fan favorites from X might not even be in MK11's Base Roster either.

I'll grant you that a lot of 3D era characters are garbage (Jarek, Darrius and Kira) Overrated fan requests (Fujin, Reiko and Li Mei) but Havik is cool.

And while I understand why some do I don't even hate Johnny Cage, Kano, Liu Kang, Raiden or Sonya but I'm certainly not excited they're back again because of course they are. Thats like being excited Scorpion and Subzero are back.

Last edited:

Alec

Noob
Why would they play their best cards first? You need to build hype toward release, not reveal everything all at once then let the hype die right before release.

People just need to relax. Dutch has a plan.
Even if the plan is horrifying?
Well, if it's Dutch's plan, then it certainly is :confused:

Now in all seriousness though, Cage is an awesome character guys. I do understand that everyone wants their characters to make it though (including me, because I'll stay paranoid until this is official).

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Except I and many other people used Kunimitsu, Tag 2 increased her popularity. hell I saw more Kunimitsus online than I did Kuma and Panda and especially Marduk or Ganryu. She was probably the most unique since everybody else were highly derivative clones.
You saw more Kunimitsu players than Kuma and Panda, and Ganryu? Probably Wang and Zafina too. Characters that are also rarely used. I believe it. Yet the way everyone was clamoring for her for so many years you'd think she would have been one of the top 5 used characters or something. Very reminiscent of the 3D era push the vocal minority makes currently. In reality, no one really cares except a few, yet they think everyone wants the same. For every Kunimitsu you saw played, you'll see 15 Law or Paul or King players. Harada even tweeted about his disappointment in the lack of usage of what he thought was a great design update at the time. The only way it's different is if the character is top tier, like Bob in T6. It's more of a luxury to have characters like that added than the demand that it's made out to be.

And why are we comparing MK to Tekken anyway, a game that has largely kept a majority of its fighters from tekken 5 onward for so long that Tekken 7s base roster alone is bigger than the expected roster of MK11 plus DLC?
I'm not comparing the games, they are obviously different. There are many complaints here because MK "keeps bringing back" the OGs, kids of old characters, the Cage family tree, etc, but every game does this because that is what the majority of people want. You don't really see people in Tekken saying "wow I am so tired of Heihachi throwing King of Iron Fist tournaments every single game since 1995. Why are there two Jins in every game, is one Jin not enough?? They need to skip a game for Baek and Ganryu". It sounds insane typing it out, but this is literally what some people are doing for MK.

But like Tekken, this is not abnormal. Like SF with Ryu/Ken/Guile/Zang/Dhal/Chun-Li/Sagat/Bison/etc. Like KOF. Like Soul Cal. Etc. People don't want to play MK games starring Taven and Drahmin or seeing Mavado in a big story role. They want the Scorpion, Raiden, Johnny, Sonya, Kitana, Sub, and Liu Kang's of the world.

MK doesnt do that, they shuffle the cast around every new game keeping the 7 from MK1+Kitana. Other fan favorites from X might not even be in MK11's Base Roster either.

I'll grant you that a lot of 3D era characters are garbage (Jarek, Darrius and Kira) Overrated fan requests (Fujin, Reiko and Li Mei) but Havik is cool.
Most MK games outside of the 3D ones are stacked towards the OGs though either way, some more than others. MK9 roster speaks for itself, MKX had half the roster of favorites with even the new characters related to old characters, and MK 1-3 is clear enough. I'd expect nothing different from MK11. When they do grab from the 4-3D era they take the few good characters (Kenshi, Quan Chi). Headlines would read "MK11 has the lowest sales depression for a fighting game since Soul Cal V" if some members here were in charge of the story. Not ironically however, for the same exact reason.

*Havik sucks slightly less than the rest of them. Let them all die in the 3D dumpster fire. Buff Kombat Kids.*

Cassie Cyrus

Ugh, this saltshaker guy is really annoying and has a very boring taste and opinion. Buff the Kombat Kids? Why? They aren’t the original overused 7.

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
Ed Boon just made a tweet saying: "Who hired this guy?.... WTF?", along with a screenshot of someone holding up their middle finger. We can't see the full character, but the clothing matches Johnny Cage who can be seen in the background of a Special Forces Hangar stage.

WOOOOOO! So glad he's in looks like he's going to be back being his old badass douchebag self again. Let's dance.

Yeah, people are gonna clamor for Kunimitsu and Jun and Michelle in a Tag game. Why is this a bad thing? It's no secret why Kunimitsu never came back after Tekken 2 and it's the same reason Jun and Michelle didnt come back. The time skip happened and they got old. Its why T3-T7 hasn't progressed to what 3-5 years tops? But that's a whole can of worms not related to the discussion, I just don't like people dissing my girl Kunimitsu.

As for MK, You'd be surprised to know how much of what you're saying I agree with, I dont like a lot of the 3D Characters people bang on about having great potential. But you also need to understand not everyone is super hyped to have Kano and Sonya back again. I'm also getting pretty tired of Kung Lao lately.

>Buff Kombat kids
If you mean give them better designs and personalities so they're not dull as dishwater, absolutely.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Ugh, this saltshaker guy is really annoying and has a very boring taste and opinion. Buff the Kombat Kids? Why? They aren’t the original overused 7.
Have the balls to tag me next time. Hopefully if you actually play the game as opposed to simply crying about it nonstop, I'll give you enough Ls to actually complain about something.

Yeah, people are gonna clamor for Kunimitsu and Jun and Michelle in a Tag game. Why is this a bad thing? It's no secret why Kunimitsu never came back after Tekken 2 and it's the same reason Jun and Michelle didnt come back. The time skip happened and they got old. Its why T3-T7 hasn't progressed to what 3-5 years tops? But that's a whole can of worms not related to the discussion, I just don't like people dissing my girl Kunimitsu.

As for MK, You'd be surprised to know how much of what you're saying I agree with, I dont like a lot of the 3D Characters people bang on about having great potential. But you also need to understand not everyone is super hyped to have Kano and Sonya back again. I'm also getting pretty tired of Kung Lao lately.

>Buff Kombat kids
If you mean give them better designs and personalities so they're not dull as dishwater, absolutely.
Lol yea I get it, I was one of the main ones clamoring for Jun like a maniac. I went Jun/Asuka for a long period too. I just have enough sense to understand why they choose rosters the way they do. You seem to as well.

My best friend who is also a hardcore Tekken player and a casual MK player saw Ronda as Sonya and was like "wow that's epic. Is there like a Ronda MMA costume for her?". I'd argue that's the casual reaction in mass. I think the "ugh so tired of Sonya" reaction is the minority hardcore reaction. We hardcores get tired of some of the mainstay characters at times because we live and breath the games. The casuals however play them, do a few moves for a couple of months, and move on to the next game, so when MK11 comes around they want the old characters back. Rinse and repeat.

I'm tempted to outright main Jacqui and Cassie out of principle in this game. #BuffKK

Cassie Cyrus

Have the balls to tag me next time. Hopefully if you actually play the game as opposed to simply crying about it nonstop, I'll give you enough Ls to actually complain about something.

#BuffKK
Threaten? Me?! Really? Who do you think you are?

+ Playing with characters to annoy others? You are even more pathetic than I already thought. Ignore.

x MAD AXES x

Lighten up will ya!
You saw more Kunimitsu players than Kuma and Panda, and Ganryu? Probably Wang and Zafina too. Characters that are also rarely used. I believe it. Yet the way everyone was clamoring for her for so many years you'd think she would have been one of the top 5 used characters or something. Very reminiscent of the 3D era push the vocal minority makes currently. In reality, no one really cares except a few, yet they think everyone wants the same. For every Kunimitsu you saw played, you'll see 15 Law or Paul or King players. Harada even tweeted about his disappointment in the lack of usage of what he thought was a great design update at the time. The only way it's different is if the character is top tier, like Bob in T6. It's more of a luxury to have characters like that added than the demand that it's made out to be.

I'm not comparing the games, they are obviously different. There are many complaints here because MK "keeps bringing back" the OGs, kids of old characters, the Cage family tree, etc, but every game does this because that is what the majority of people want. You don't really see people in Tekken saying "wow I am so tired of Heihachi throwing King of Iron Fist tournaments every single game since 1995. Why are there two Jins in every game, is one Jin not enough?? They need to skip a game for Baek and Ganryu". It sounds insane typing it out, but this is literally what some people are doing for MK.

But like Tekken, this is not abnormal. Like SF with Ryu/Ken/Guile/Zang/Dhal/Chun-Li/Sagat/Bison/etc. Like KOF. Like Soul Cal. Etc. People don't want to play MK games starring Taven and Drahmin or seeing Mavado in a big story role. They want the Scorpion, Raiden, Johnny, Sonya, Kitana, Sub, and Liu Kang's of the world.

Most MK games outside of the 3D ones are stacked towards the OGs though either way, some more than others. MK9 roster speaks for itself, MKX had half the roster of favorites with even the new characters related to old characters, and MK 1-3 is clear enough. I'd expect nothing different from MK11. When they do grab from the 4-3D era they take the few good characters (Kenshi, Quan Chi). Headlines would read "MK11 has the lowest sales depression for a fighting game since Soul Cal V" if some members here were in charge of the story. Not ironically however, for the same exact reason.

*Havik sucks slightly less than the rest of them. Let them all die in the 3D dumpster fire. Buff Kombat Kids.*
I mean it didnt help that kunimitsu was the worst character in TTT2, the only thing she did well was good punish range. We were talking about her in a discord a while back and you were just giving yourself a massive challenge even using her.

Espio

Kokomo
Yeah I don’t see how anyone could honestly expect to see or be disappointed that these god awful 3D jobbers didn’t make it over Johnny, Cassie, or Sonya
But...but.....Li Mei has more story potential than this soap opera story with Johnny and Sonya oh my god so cringe bro ;__;.

Imagine having unrealistic expectations and being pissed when it doesn't work out.