What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage General Discussion Thread

jaylee777

Juh-Mill-E
What's the deal with dash cancelling flip kick? The few johnny's I still play do it. Is it an omega gimmick or decent? I can't decide so i'm asking for opinions basically.
Unless they do s4 flip kick cancel, it is a gimmick. Any other flip kick cancel can be interrupted by a 9 frame normal (maybe even something slower than 9 frames, idk). The timing is pretty tricky to interrupt it though so unless you've labbed it you're probably gonna get blown up by it.

Tweedy

Noob
I wasn't asking for help. I just wanted to know if it had any potential. So i'm still nowhere, concerning that.

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
I'm wondering, does any tournament player still use Johnny?

Haven't kept up with the scene in the last 2-3 months and I think I only saw Mr Kyznecov play a little a-list in an online tourney but quickly switched to Kitana and as far as I know IrishMantis is playing Ermac now, right?

llabslb

R1D1_998
I'm wondering, does any tournament player still use Johnny?

Haven't kept up with the scene in the last 2-3 months and I think I only saw Mr Kyznecov play a little a-list in an online tourney but quickly switched to Kitana and as far as I know IrishMantis is playing Ermac now, right?
If you're looking to take notes of any cage players the ones I recommend looking at are Sweet Neptune and Mantis.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Just wanted to know if anyone stuck with him after the nerfs back in october to be honest.
Cage is definitely in a bad spot now. I use fisticuffs as always, but you are not going to see many Cages in tournament setting anymore unless another patch hits and gives him what he needs, which is unlikely. This character will hold back anyone that wants to win, no reason to pick him atm besides loyalism.

Fisticuffs just needs exflipkick to have armor, absolutely nothing else. We talked some time about 2 bar launcher with nutpunch, but imo that would be a luxury buff. His stagger game is strong in the new meta, and he finally got his low option improved since my beloved mb fistbump, so yeah, give him his mid armor back and it's fine.
Stunt double would need some love to his mimics, including regular mimic shadowkick launching again in the corner.
I don't know A-list enough to propose fair changes, but definitely needs some help, although he is still probably the best variation now. Not far from fisticuffs.

Last edited:

llabslb

R1D1_998
Just wanted to know if anyone stuck with him after the nerfs back in october to be honest.
Well kinda. Most of the Cage players I know that mained Cage have him as a sort of pocket now or don't play him at all. I myself have switched to mainly Tempest Lao and Dragons fire Kang. Occasionally I'll play Cage.

Last edited:

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
Hypothetical question time,

D3 -5, flipkick armor.
+
Remove 5 frame delay on rc (but keeping the lower + frames)

How much better would Cage be?

And thanks for the replies guys. Not surprising result sadly.

(SD would need other stuff, but it's so different, let's leave it out for now.)

llabslb

R1D1_998
Hypothetical question time,

D3 -5, flipkick armor.
+
Remove 5 frame delay on rc (but keeping the lower + frames)

How much better would Cage be?

And thanks for the replies guys. Not surprising result sadly.

(SD would need other stuff, but it's so different, let's leave it out for now.)
You don't just lower plus frames with cancels. The reason why we received the delay in the first place was to lower the advantage we get. In terms of being plus we're actually pretty blessed it's just the application of advantage is where the problem lies.

This video pretty much sums it up:

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
That actually came into mind after I posted then I was like,

'This should piss him off'

So yeah.
Baited!!!..... Well done

Neptune is having a lot of fun with Sektor too, if anybody wants any Cage action tune in the Offline event YUZU cup saterdau for your F3 fix

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
You don't just lower plus frames with cancels. The reason why we received the delay in the first place was to lower the advantage we get. In terms of being plus we're actually pretty blessed it's just the application of advantage is where the problem lies.

This video pretty much sums it up:
I thought the delay was introduced so that you are 5 frames less + than before. My suggestion was to have the same timing on block and hit, but keeping the previously mentioned lower advantage. If that does not work like that can you explain? I already saw that video and it just shows the inconsistency I would like to see gone.

mk_mamood77

Liu/JohnnyKenshi main
I thought the delay was introduced so that you are 5 frames less + than before. My suggestion was to have the same timing on block and hit, but keeping the previously mentioned lower advantage. If that does not work like that can you explain? I already saw that video and it just shows the inconsistency I would like to see gone.
This probably has something to do with the f3 cancel on whiff. I think they wanted to delay f3 cancel on whiff so they completely ruined the normal cancels.

Saltea Mike

ROG Mike
hell even 113 run cancel into 113 is a tight link (for me at least)
113 on hit isn't that very much + on hit. Depending on one's experience with cancels it's easier to confirm or harder.

But what could be the possible reason to go with another 113 after the first one? Better go with 12(1) dash cancel into F4 or 113 nutpunch (or ex).

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
113 on hit isn't that very much + on hit. Depending on one's experience with cancels it's easier to confirm or harder.

But what could be the possible reason to go with another 113 after the first one? Better go with 12(1) dash cancel into F4 or 113 nutpunch (or ex).
Can't you do 113 rc 113 ex np 12 f3 cancel 12 f3 np? Goodness it's been so long since iv played Johnny can't remember if you get enough stamina back