What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage General Discussion Thread

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
The real shit starts hitting the fan when he starts to parry your zoning and wakeups.

But until then, I found that people tend to adapt fast to cage's pressure if you don't mix it up. Single jabs instead of double, 50 d4s in a row until he gets frustrated and starts blocking low, and lots and lots of throws after cancels.

If you said grabs I'm guessing sungod, so d4 after cancels low profiles his armor. If it's blood god, then it's spam city since he can't armor jack shit.
Even if he blocks, do a lot of meter building strings with cancels and continue with ex fb and just chip him out, then lay back.

The other problem starts when he gets his turn, because you need to know how and when to block in order not to get 50%ed after you spent every resource you had to get 18% chip. Here you just have to get used to his moves better I guess.

Wigy

There it is...
The real shit starts hitting the fan when he starts to parry your zoning and wakeups.

But until then, I found that people tend to adapt fast to cage's pressure if you don't mix it up. Single jabs instead of double, 50 d4s in a row until he gets frustrated and starts blocking low, and lots and lots of throws after cancels.

If you said grabs I'm guessing sungod, so d4 after cancels low profiles his armor. If it's blood god, then it's spam city since he can't armor jack shit.
Even if he blocks, do a lot of meter building strings with cancels and continue with ex fb and just chip him out, then lay back.

The other problem starts when he gets his turn, because you need to know how and when to block in order not to get 50%ed after you spent every resource you had to get 18% chip. Here you just have to get used to his moves better I guess.
If somebody is blood god, hes getting chipped for peanuts. If the player knows what they're doing you're guna not be able to open them up 90% of the time. I'm mixing up everything, shit like f2 skc d4 d4 f3 skc d4 f2, like tricky ass shit to block and getting nothing most of the time.

My issue is getting all this going anyway, hes a brick wall cause his godtier footsies.

The whole free on wakeup thing only really matters if you have 50-50s and a knockdown with adv, he has a stupidly good backdash, he can poke out of anything if you mistime it due to staying down, he does have options here and then you're struggling to get in and hes taking 45% one bar if you fuck up.

Just need to work on cancels to get them crispier i guess. Need to see some high level matchup footage though.

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
I'm also having a decent amount of trouble with Kotal. Mostly War God. The only thing I can think of doing is keeping him out with Forceballs till my mimics reload.

One thing I'm think is Midscreen end your combos in shadow kick vs War God because if you aren't crispy enough with the cancels or you do an unsafe mimic reload he will interrupt you for high damage. Kotal doesn't have very many options against zoning except EX Sword toss or 3/4 screen jump in so even though Cages Forceballs aren't the best, especially in SD, they do a decent job at keeping kotal out.

It's gotta be one of his worst matchups. Keep him out, make sure your cancels are extra crispy, don't underestimate his jump ins, and make sure to respect ex overhead sword, then punish with F3

coconutshrimp

IMO Stunt Double is better in this MU for the following.

-The zoning game in SD limits his options. Basically waiting for your mimics to reload, throwing Forceballs to bide time and build meter so that if he jumps in you basically get a free mrs or EX Mrs.
-After a nut punch restand 4 mimic summon is safe completely to kotal, only problem is guessing low or overhead armor, 99% overhead. if you don't want to guess, you can spend a bar for EX MRS and it will trade and Kotal gets nothing out and midscreen it sends Kotal fullscreen for the zoning game.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Maybe I have not played a good enough Kotal yet which I think I have but no way its a terrible match for SD I think it's 5-5

Pity about the region lock so I would be able to play the Kotals you guys facing

If he jumps from far raw shadow kick, when you throw him in the corner your 12 breaks all his wake ups

If you see him doing B1 and it whiffs Ex Nutpunch if your not comfortable with a full combo whiff punish

When near jump in space don't be afraid to throw out a random Ex RS every now and again to let him know your space

Against Kotal after F34 your turn is over his B1 beats everything except armour

If you can get a Kotal and I can watch you play let me know

coconutshrimp

Maybe I have not played a good enough Kotal yet which I think I have but no way its a terrible match for SD I think it's 5-5

Pity about the region lock so I would be able to play the Kotals you guys facing

If he jumps from far raw shadow kick, when you throw him in the corner your 12 breaks all his wake ups

If you see him doing B1 and it whiffs Ex Nutpunch if your not comfortable with a full combo whiff punish

When near jump in space don't be afraid to throw out a random Ex RS every now and again to let him know your space

I have an online tourney that's being streamed later and I will very likely fight War God Kotal for my first match. If you have time check it out on skcorpion86's stream otherwise I can just record the set and post the Match footage here.

IrishMantis

I have an online tourney that's being streamed later and I will very likely fight War God Kotal for my first match. If you have time check it out on skcorpion86's stream otherwise I can just record the set and post the Match footage here.
How many hours later?

Wigy

There it is...

Dude im scottish. You can play with my buddy whos giving me issues, send a pm.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Kotal is quite a pain in the ass for Cage, yeah.

Thinking of FC, however, not a single one of Kotal's reversals can go through speedbag gap, so he has to respect that.

Situations like this make me want that gap to stay if Fisticuffs gets something new :)

Wigy

There it is...
Kotal is quite a pain in the ass for Cage, yeah.

Thinking of FC, however, not a single one of Kotal's reversals can go through speedbag gap, so he has to respect that.

Situations like this make me want that gap to stay if Fisticuffs gets something new :)
All that variation needs is a 9frame speedbag and faster fistbump startup and it has its use

coconutshrimp

Also any 50/50 off of Kotal's B14 can be backdashed and gives you a practically free F24 combo or F3 Nut if you don't want online screwing you up. Same goes for B122 except the overhead leaves no gap.

Wigy

There it is...
Is he PSN?
Are you PSN?

Edit: never mind

I remember you :D
You send me a message saying "really nice Cage" or something like that
Fuck you and your cage :DOGE

Im goin to work. I'll get him online tomorrow and we can do a KOTH or something.

Don't remember playing you i don't think ive played against anything except inferno scorpion for over 2 months

Edit/ think i do remember since ive only played a sd cage once in memory, was like week two of game coming out

IrishMantis

Fuck you and your cage :DOGE

Im goin to work. I'll get him online tomorrow and we can do a KOTH or something.

Don't remember playing you i don't think ive played against anything except inferno scorpion for over 2 months

Edit/ think i do remember since ive only played a sd cage once in memory, was like week two of game coming out
It was a long time ago cause I remember saying wow Thier is another good Johnny player

Maybe it wasn't but the name rings a bell

Oh btw I won't be on tomorrow so Wed is good

Last edited:

coconutshrimp

I'm not sure how well known this is but there's a nasty bug with SD Cage vs Warlock Quan. At least I think it's a bug. When Quan does his F3 and you do a(n) (EX) mimic shadow kick the mimic will go practically nowhere. I experienced this when I played @STB Shujinkydink last night.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
I hate fighting Kotal - those amazing advancing normals are a pain.

In War God matchup I recently switched to Fisticuffs to much succes. As for A-list, d4 beats his advancing options in the Neutral, just beware of the godly j1!

I usually try to get life lead and just check him with forceballs. It slows the pace and gets me important meter for reversals. Getting Kotal off his meter is also essential. If he's crazy good at blocking I guess your only hope is to open him up with throws and handle him in the corner where his footsies mean nothing. We have a lot of plus frames so we should be able to get in some throws.

I havent played many Blood Gods but I think we should take notes on how Lao players deal with the matchup. Throws, throws and more throws. Throws are also good because they take so much time to complete, so his totems will go away in the meantime.