What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage General Discussion Thread

lm Tweakk

#BuffAntiAirs
A list cage:

F3 (4) dash 21 nut punch mb 12 run cancel 12 f3 nutpunch.

Dont know if this has been found but it's very useful.

Anyone testing Johnny's a list pressure? I've recorded myself doing 12(1)xxRUN f3(4)xxRUN, mixing between the strings. Do this to create pressure while looking for an opening.

The strategy here is that your opponent k ows he basically never has to block low, but if you throw in the occasional d3/d4 you'll get damage in addition to your chip and still be at advantage. Start mixing in throw and when they get ansy, start frame trapping between dash canceled strings. Save meter for ex low force ball and you're still at advantage, go back into f3(4) and it's a 5f trap, keep this up relentlessly. Only real way out is an armored move. Only your opponent shows they know this, you can blow most of it up with backdash into f3(4), neutral jump, block and punish, or an armor move of your own. I'll try to get a video tonight of doing this.

EDIT: forgot to add that if you do manage to get a hit, just do anything into nutpunch and you have huge advantage, start your bullshit all over again.

Last edited:
Hey guys first post. I was wondering what JC strings were good on block, I'd go look nyself but I haven't been able to get much playtime yet.

First post. I'm also in the boat with dropping combos due to the Nut Punch button change, makes me so sad.

The f24, d1, f3, xx Nut Punch (or f24, d1, f24, xx Nut Punch) mentioned earlier are my go-to BnBs for now and thanks for those who posted about it. I'm working with mixups after the Nut Punch comes out since that was a huge part of Cage in the previous. In MK9 I used to do either 11 xx EX Forceball for some decent chip on block, but I can't tell if it's still viable. I've tested 113 xx EX Forceball and I'm liking it for now, especially with the low being tricky. I'm guessing tick throws still work, even though I found myself delaying the throw longer than I normally would. Anyone figure any other tricks out?

Anyone testing Johnny's a list pressure? I've recorded myself doing 12(1)xxRUN f3(4)xxRUN, mixing between the strings. Do this to create pressure while looking for an opening.

The strategy here is that your opponent k ows he basically never has to block low, but if you throw in the occasional d3/d4 you'll get damage in addition to your chip and still be at advantage. Start mixing in throw and when they get ansy, start frame trapping between dash canceled strings. Save meter for ex low force ball and you're still at advantage, go back into f3(4) and it's a 5f trap, keep this up relentlessly. Only real way out is an armored move. Only your opponent shows they know this, you can blow most of it up with backdash into f3(4), neutral jump, block and punish, or an armor move of your own. I'll try to get a video tonight of doing this.

EDIT: forgot to add that if you do manage to get a hit, just do anything into nutpunch and you have huge advantage, start your bullshit all over again.
Are you canceling the(1) and the (4) in a list?

lm Tweakk

#BuffAntiAirs
The way I've been opening people up with cage successfully:

If your opponent is conditioned to block high , then you can pressure with 11 , and when they want to duck so they can poke out , then go overhead , if they block it then you can hit confirm it into ex balls and be +5 , once they are conditioned into falling into the overhead after 11 , you can do 113 nutpunch ex , and reset the situation.

Optimal combo I've found for opening someone up with 113 is:
113 ex nutpunch 12 run cancel 12 f3 nutpunch

jbthrash

Nut Breaker
Fisticuffs Meterles Corner Combo
F24 d1 12 12 12 12 114 np 34%

Stuntdouble Meterles Corner Combo
F24 d1 12 12 12 12 114 np 34%

Al-List Meterles Corner Combo(nut punch seems to lag so I had to modify it)
F24 d1 12 12 12 11 np 29%

Last edited:
Anyone else having trouble in Record mode in training to do the cancels in Alist? Every time I do 12(1)xx121 the first one doesn't cancel into run, it just has the AI do 121 then stand there

EDIT: Nevermind finally got it. Had to turn the AI onto whatever mode you need, IE if you're practicingagainst blocking it has to be blocking.

Last edited:

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Ex ball second one is still not a true string and a high, not a mid, it can be ducked MID blockstring by letting go of block.

Crap move still crap. And here I was doing fisticuffs F24 d1 f3 bf1, meaty f3 df2ex f3 df2ex f3df2ex d4 for 30% chip or some shit.

Then some guy comes and ducks the thing mid-string. Failed again..................................................................

Breakin Wordzz

Best Rengar NA, also ares of world
Im new to the JC forums so idk if anyone knew this but in Stunt double vary, his EX forceball isnt a block string. U can armor in between the 1st and second.
lol jsut read through it or u could duck it apparently lol wow thats stupid.

i'm pretty new to mk so unaware how useful stuff like this is, but i haven't had anyone block this setup yet.
i do it slower the second time so its a little more clear:

Pretty easy to hitconfirm any part of it into good damage. Mid screen can be done as well but its a bit harder. Can also use sweep as the low.

Last edited:
That set up looks pretty cool but seems pretty expensive.

How do you guys typically follow up a connected D4? I have pretty much only been doing f34, run f24, or throw.

ya im trying to find a way to optimize it so it doesn't come at the cost of two bar necessarily, maybe something where the d3 leads to being able to use another shadow to keep things going instead of bar.

onemic

Noob
How do you safely pressure with cage outside of his A-list variation? His only low string is -22 on block

onemic

Noob
ah, got it.

Has anyone tested if 113 is safe if you run cancel it in A-list? What would be the frame-disadvantage/advantage after run cancelling it?

Also, isnt SD limited by the fact that you need to activate mimic to get the most out of the character? Its takes 43 frames or so to activate so doing it in neutral means you're a sitting duck, and im unsure of a combo setup that would let you go into it safely

Notez4

Noob
ah, got it.

Has anyone tested if 113 is safe if you run cancel it in A-list? What would be the frame-disadvantage/advantage after run cancelling it?

Also, isnt SD limited by the fact that you need to activate mimic to get the most out of the character? Its takes 43 frames or so to activate so doing it in neutral means you're a sitting duck, and im unsure of a combo setup that would let you go into it safely
end a combo with 214 then activate