What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage General Discussion Thread

This is most likely a noob question but when I do ex sometimes I get johnnys red side kick instead of green, how does that happen and what properties does it have?

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
its when hes low health he just gains more powerful versions of his projectiles in stunt double

thanks one more thing, what's the opinion about shortcuts in this game. Will they be allowed in tourneys do you think? It's weird it's an option now but it helps me doing combos alot, just want to know if I should turn it off so I can get use to not using it if it's not allowed in tourney scene.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
thanks one more thing, what's the opinion about shortcuts in this game. Will they be allowed in tourneys do you think? It's weird it's an option now but it helps me doing combos alot, just want to know if I should turn it off so I can get use to not using it if it's not allowed in tourney scene.
How can something that is in the game and that was always on by default in previous games be banned?..

I know it's a stupid question but I had to ask because things might change, I just wanted to make sure that's all. I use an arcade stick and it helps alot pull off nut punch quite a bit so just wanted to check.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Johnny's stunt double variation doing 50% in the corner meterless is not OP, I can't see a reason to nerf it. It's so situational and hard to open someone up to eat it that it's more of a novelty.

It's so hard to get that combo, because nobody will block low for you to open them. The only mixup you have is 113 exNP into the stunt double juggle, but that is already 1 meter cost, and is on par with the rest of the cast.

Kitana has 40% anywhere combos that don't require the setup and problematic opening Johnny has with his corner combo. I don't see anyone complaining about that.

zHowieHD

Caged
Johnny's stunt double variation doing 50% in the corner meterless is not OP, I can't see a reason to nerf it. It's so situational and hard to open someone up to eat it that it's more of a novelty.

It's so hard to get that combo, because nobody will block low for you to open them. The only mixup you have is 113 exNP into the stunt double juggle, but that is already 1 meter cost, and is on par with the rest of the cast.

Kitana has 40% anywhere combos that don't require the setup and problematic opening Johnny has with his corner combo. I don't see anyone complaining about that.
Nah its getting nerfed lol

M.D.

I remember the day everyone found out Rain had a 65-70% Xray combo in MK9 (without boost) and they panicked like they do now with Johnny's stunt double doing 70% in the corner.

But if that combo gets pulled off in a competitional tournament, I shall sell my XB1 and game, and with the money I will buy a ticket to NRS and riot myself in front of their headquarters asking for Stunt double nerfs. Until then, any nerf being called on that variation is just bullocks.

What I'm concerned about though, is what the hell is up with the fisticuffs infinite string? I tried it in practice, recorded the AI to do it against me over and over and I can't get out of it. At all. I can just armor through the 5 frames after 7 hits, but it's such a small window that if you miss you get sucked in again.

What am I missing? What is it's weakness?

zHowieHD

Caged
I remember the day everyone found out Rain had a 65-70% Xray combo in MK9 (without boost) and they panicked like they do now with Johnny's stunt double doing 70% in the corner.

But if that combo gets pulled off in a competitional tournament, I shall sell my XB1 and game, and with the money I will buy a ticket to NRS and riot myself in front of their headquarters asking for Stunt double nerfs. Until then, any nerf being called on that variation is just bullocks.

What I'm concerned about though, is what the hell is up with the fisticuffs infinite string? I tried it in practice, recorded the AI to do it against me over and over and I can't get out of it. At all. I can just armor through the 5 frames after 7 hits, but it's such a small window that if you miss you get sucked in again.

What am I missing? What is it's weakness?
Theyre gonna end ip nerfing it anyways

M.D.

Well, in that case I hope you get destroyed by Stunt Double Johnnys constantly when you play the game, until they nerf it.
That will teach you to up-play him :p

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
In A-List, 12(1) can be regular dash canceled and hit confirmed into f4 for full combo. Same is true for f3(4) run cancel. Haven't found good combo enders for it yet but I'm working on it :)

Also for anyone who doesn't know, any charged b2 does the combo-able knockdown thingy that unblockable b2 did in MK9, so you can get a full combo followup to it. It doesn't hit unblockable anymore (it hits mid) but I think it's still useful for when your opponent tries to read your cancel.

EDIT:

12(1) xx 12(1) xx f4 f24 f3~nutpunch 25%

Last edited:

zHowieHD

Caged
Well, in that case I hope you get destroyed by Stunt Double Johnnys constantly when you play the game, until they nerf it.
That will teach you
I havent fought any johnny thats been better than mine yet.
Coming from some one who mains johnny as well,saying it has to be nerfed isnt bad though

a lot of nice stuff with combos. What are you guys doing for basic strategies with Johnny? I come from KOF and dabbled with MK9 briefly but pretty much just played against terrible people on laggy online matches. Any strings to pressure with besides f24 or 11? I notice he won't be a high low machine so how do you set up his offense if you don't have many mixup options?

what kind of things do you guys go for after nut punch resets?

This game is fun I just seem a little lost trying to figure out ways to start pressure and keeping it going. Thanks for any help.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
a lot of nice stuff with combos. What are you guys doing for basic strategies with Johnny? I come from KOF and dabbled with MK9 briefly but pretty much just played against terrible people on laggy online matches. Any strings to pressure with besides f24 or 11? I notice he won't be a high low machine so how do you set up his offense if you don't have many mixup options?

what kind of things do you guys go for after nut punch resets?

This game is fun I just seem a little lost trying to figure out ways to start pressure and keeping it going. Thanks for any help.
d4 the fuck outa them rofl he doesnt really have much mixup sigh