What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage General Discussion Thread

Bryck Walle

Counting the Days for the JCVD Johnny Costume!
Till I get clones? I meant when you have clones out you can actually use clone shadow kick as wakeup instead of using armor. There's always going to be mind games on any wake up. None is ever free. Scout the NJP. Stupid assholes always go for it. I usually block it and throw them into the corner as fast as I can.

Usually what I do is look for an opening in their strings an EX NP. If that's not an option, if they jump at you anti air with EX NP. If that also isn't an option, a random grab after a string or a d4 mimic shadow upper frame trap usually gets the job done.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
as far as i can tell, all clone moves can be stuffed on wakeup when an attack is meaty enough. in a game where any moment where you are forcing someone to make a decision has very harsh results, having bad wakeup options in a moment is a bigger deal then you are making it out to be.

i agree tho that there is always stuff you can do, and its important to stay patient, but you its defo a disadvantage
You're right, meaties do beat it. It's just another option, and one more than A list or Fisty has.

You're right, meaties do beat it. It's just another option, and one more than A list or Fisty has.

yeah and honestly, i feel like different clones offer so much varied utility in neutral, that when you have them it can be fairly easy to control situations and mitigate the scenario of being knocked down in the first place

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
yeah and honestly, i feel like different clones offer so much varied utility in neutral, that when you have them it can be fairly easy to control situations and mitigate the scenario of being knocked down in the first place
Oh god yes...It's amazing to rush someone down with them, and then go straight into fairly effective zoning. You can almost feel people's rage as they eat shadow kick after shadow kick

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
First off.....Stop using Ninja Mime. That skin is ass.

On a real note, it might be better if you showed us a video where you actually struggled. You showing us how you scrubbed out a Raiden with B12 constantly doesn't really give us anything to help you with.

From what I saw though, the few times you could do a corner combo, you dropped it. Also, point blank F24's don't really work against people who expect it. You need to condition them into blocking low so you can land it and get damage.
Ninja Mime kicks ass. That movie broke box office records. The alt color is even better.

Tenryuga

Ball Buster
I was watching a Fisticuffs JC player decimate a team of HLPs. I think he was DJT? Anyway I was wondering why he wouldn't activate the chip buff; He was getting mileage off B12 alone especially in the corner.

Is this variation really a troll variation or is it being overlooked because of the strengths stunt double and A list possess?

EDIT: lol as soon as i write this he started using it in neutral. That is some delicious chip on the forceballs.

Last edited:

lostwin1

TWO minutes
First off.....Stop using Ninja Mime. That skin is ass.

On a real note, it might be better if you showed us a video where you actually struggled. You showing us how you scrubbed out a Raiden with B12 constantly doesn't really give us anything to help you with.

From what I saw though, the few times you could do a corner combo, you dropped it. Also, point blank F24's don't really work against people who expect it. You need to condition them into blocking low so you can land it and get damage.
Thanks for the feedback, i'll put your tips in use and search for better opponents tonight, what is the best tatic to condition your opponent to block low? actually i mix 113,11 and f24 because 11 is +2 on block (found in another thread).

i've been trying to play like this:
(johnny starts at 37:48)
ppl are saying fisticuffs is the worst variation but its too fun and useful, i like the way b12 is good for pressure and cheap damage.

4HxWar

Noob
Im all about that delayed exnp in a list. After you get them once just keep some meter and no one punishes the reg np. Nut punches all day

Epy69zSmallBoys

No respect for Kung Jin
Thanks for the feedback, i'll put your tips in use and search for better opponents tonight, what is the best tatic to condition your opponent to block low? actually i mix 113,11 and f24 because 11 is +2 on block (found in another thread).

ppl are saying fisticuffs is the worst variation but its too fun and useful, i like the way b12 is good for pressure and cheap damage.
That was awesome.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.

JC has no plus on block normals. All the normals that say +2 are actually neutral. NRS just can't get the frame data correct.

Wrath0594

JC has no plus on block normals. All the normals that say +2 are actually neutral. NRS just can't get the frame data correct.
I guess as far as mk goes neutral can be considered +1 in terms of normals with the frame to get out of block.
:confused:

Wrath0594

My gawd. DJT beat REO, Cossner, and Tom Brady using... Fisticuffs. I don't even...

:confused:

I need this fucking patch

4HxWar

Noob
Any tips against covert ops sonya? I was getting lit up by her strings and mixups.
If she goes overhead first ,block high low high. She has a low starter too. As for the cartwheel just block high if you dont feel lucky because she cant juggle the low (unless your in the corner). Punish the divekick wirth f3,4. I just back dash if i think shes gonna go for it.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Any tips against covert ops sonya? I was getting lit up by her strings and mixups.
Here's what I learned playing a few exceptional CoOps Sonyas. Guess, and guess right. Even if you know she can start with a low or an overhead into a low, you still have to guess the MS option, unless you armor through it. She's awesome at making you whiff. She can jump back and dive kick your strings on reaction. It's AWFUL.

As a SD Johnny, my advice is this. Stay back and zone her. You can trade green balls with rings and win the trade. If you have shadows loaded you're even better off. You can easily out zone her. Both (very good) Sonya's I played against had a much rougher time when I dedicated myself to zoning. HOWEVER. She can easily jump over shit and use her 16 active frame JI1 and destroy you with mixups from there out. That jump punch is total horse shit. Best in the game.

This MU is the first one I've felt at a disadvantage with. Her footsies and normals are better than yours. Even if she goes even with you up close, she'll eventually make you guess wrong and own you. To me, this is Johnnys worst MU at this moment.

Edit: Just so you know, I always guess wrong. Like literally 80% of the time. Happened against Batgirl too.haha

Last edited:

kelevra

Steel cable bungee jumper
Here's what I learned playing a few exceptional CoOps Sonyas. Guess, and guess right. Even if you know she can start with a low or an overhead into a low, you still have to guess the MS option, unless you armor through it. She's awesome at making you whiff. She can jump back and dive kick your strings on reaction. It's AWFUL.

As a SD Johnny, my advice is this. Stay back and zone her. You can trade green balls with rings and win the trade. If you have shadows loaded you're even better off. You can easily out zone her. Both (very good) Sonya's I played against had a much rougher time when I dedicated myself to zoning. HOWEVER. She can easily jump over shit and use her 16 active frame JI1 and destroy you with mixups from there out. That jump punch is total horse shit. Best in the game.

This MU is the first one I've felt at a disadvantage with. Her footsies and normals are better than yours. Even if she goes even with you up close, she'll eventually make you guess wrong and own you. To me, this is Johnnys worst MU at this moment.

Edit: Just so you know, I always guess wrong. Like literally 80% of the time. Happened against Batgirl too.haha
One thing to add for that MU If you pick a-list is that your offense has to be airtight bc her parry eats allmost every of your options after a f3SKRC.
Delay the next input just a little after the rc and you get blown up.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
One thing to add for that MU If you pick a-list is that your offense has to be airtight bc her parry eats allmost every of your options after a f3SKRC.
Delay the next input just a little after the rc and you get blown up.
Oh yeah...the parry...the reason you can almost never use your 11~overhead pressure. Up close you lose options like crazy. What am I supposed to do, D3 her to death?