What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage General Discussion Thread

4HxWar

Noob
Oh yeah...the parry...the reason you can almost never use your 11~overhead pressure. Up close you lose options like crazy. What am I supposed to do, D3 her to death?
I wish they would speed up his D3, it feels so slow. Without a low starter they could at least have given him a better poke

Dja_Homies

Kaz...... I'm already a Fiddle.
Any tips against covert ops sonya? I was getting lit up by her strings and mixups.
Her overhead to low has a gap that you can armor out of. if you have no meter backdash out of. Her low has significantly less range than her overhead so with the right spacing block oh most of the time in midscreen. Her wake ups aren't really amazing due to them being limited combo starters so pressure all you want and condition them for the bait. Do not jump at sonya a lot since she Will anti air you well. Bait out her parries so you can counter pressure them and don't forget about your low pokes to annoy her. Stunt double isn't the best variation for this mu if you don't bait her well since her parry gets rid of the mimics. I still go stunt double but I play cautiously. I'd advise alist since you can stop her jumping and limit her dive kicks due to the arc of the force balls. This mu is as even as it gets imo solid 5-5 mu.

Last edited:

Devin Thorn

chimp damage
Obviously things like the slides are safe right? probably lackey F/T's trample as well still comes out im sure but those are pretty easy baits. Good info can't wait to go try it out I DJT and Perfect Legend have inspired me haha

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
Anyone know the exact changes fisticuffs got in the patch? Er, just b121 I guess. Cuz I'm surprised at how horrible it is on PC compared to what I saw there.

NapalmCL

Professional training dummy
I watched some tournament matches from DJT and i really hope that Johnny's Fisticuffs pressure will never be normalized. It's the most hilarious thing i've seen in MKX.
Seriously though, it has gaps, right? How do you get out?
There are gaps in the pressure. Just like certain strings, in the DJT matches you can even see Sonic backdash the string entirely. I believe B1212 is -2 so you just gotta learn to watch the punches.

Devin Thorn

chimp damage
Anyone willing to hop online and really teach me some things? I'm not bad but this is also the first fighting game I've really played competitively and I have no one to really learn from. I play PS4 ioncrisis is the name

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
I watched some tournament matches from DJT and i really hope that Johnny's Fisticuffs pressure will never be normalized. It's the most hilarious thing i've seen in MKX.
Seriously though, it has gaps, right? How do you get out?
It shouldn't be normalized from what I can tell (I'm on godamn pc).

You trade clones or run cancels, both of which are incredibly powerful tools, so what you gets needs to come close to evening that out. Like I've been saying to a lot of my friends, it seems like you lose the mixup potential that his other variations have with the their insane amount of options, and instead you get raw chip, zoning, and most importantly- meter building. You essentially take the mind games out of the equation entirely and play a really honest Johnny. His general gameplan feels a lot closer to DF Liu Kang's than A list does in that respect, and to me it seems fair.

Last edited:

BoricuaHeat

PSN:KrocoCola
Okay, almost done getting all the cancels down (by god it's a grind), the next one I made a video on is F2SKRC where if done perfectly jails into another F2. However one thing to note from this next one is you only catch a glimpse of the SKRC in motion which is leading me to believe I could redo my previous videos on the cancels entirely. It's just a lingering thought on my mind but I'll check it out either way. Well enough of that, here's the vid

Bryck Walle

Counting the Days for the JCVD Johnny Costume!
Okay, almost done getting all the cancels down (by god it's a grind), the next one I made a video on is F2SKRC where if done perfectly jails into another F2. However one thing to note from this next one is you only catch a glimpse of the SKRC in motion which is leading me to believe I could redo my previous videos on the cancels entirely. It's just a lingering thought on my mind but I'll check it out either way. Well enough of that, here's the vid

I had no idea you could even do it that fast. Welp Carpal Tunnel here I come, trying to learn this shit. Jesus.

Bryck Walle

Counting the Days for the JCVD Johnny Costume!

Check to see how many F2 cancels you can get on hit. This could be big. Like, 4 f2's in a combo into f24 D1 F3 np. The damage.

BoricuaHeat

PSN:KrocoCola
Check to see how many F2 cancels you can get on hit. This could be big. Like, 4 f2's in a combo into f24 D1 F3 np. The damage.
Pretty sure you can get a max of 2 pimp smacks (damn you stamina bar) with F2 before going into the follow up combo with F24. Damage won't increase by much but it will look awesome.

4HxWar

Noob
Pretty sure you can get a max of 2 pimp smacks (damn you stamina bar) with F2 before going into the follow up combo with F24. Damage won't increase by much but it will look awesome.
I do the 121 RC f24 that fast and people online often mistake it for 113 and block low leading into a full combo. Try it out

kelevra

Steel cable bungee jumper
The stamina bar isnt the limit in this case.
a Combo can consist of max 2 Run cancels, after that it auto-drops.
try for yourself by doing 12(1) Dash cancel over and over and you'll see. After the 3rd 121 you wont get any Dash anymore.
Kinda sad. Would love to fiddle with mid-juggle rc's After a 121rc,b34SKDC,f4 or another launcher of choice. Im pretty sure you could squeeze out another rc bc you only dashcanceled After the b34.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I haven't seen anything posted here, but why aren't people using this as Johnny's bnb?

F2,4, D1, RC~12, RC~12, F3~DB3. That's 27%, and honestly not that hard to do offline. It took me like 10 minutes to start doing it pretty consistently. To make it 10 times easier, drop the 2 on the last 12, F3~DB3 and it becomes a 25% combo. Way better than those 21%, and 24% combos I keep seeing off of F2,4.

I didnt have time to test this fully this morning before I left for work, but I assume the run cancels in other combos with meter and clones will net you even more damage.

Also not sure if this works with A-List since the nut punch is a little different.