What's new

Jax General Discussion

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Yes I'm using Hunker Down (The grappler variation)
Yeah, so Hunker down doesn't really have strings that connect with each other, everything ends in a knockdown and what launches (regular ass D2) doesn't allow you to connect anything else. Hunker Down is more about abusing your opponent with plus frames and mixing them up into the grappler combo (F33+throw, F2+throw) or tick throwing into quad grab.

So my game plan (others might do this differently) is to F2/F33 throw to condition the high block (it's -7 on both strings) at which point you can start mixing in the F2, D4 (which is -20 but has a lot of pushback and nobody expects it). Once you start getting hits in, you can cancel whatever strings you are using (in my case, F2/F33) into Gotcha Grabs for screen position or whatever you need.

The only real BnB combo you might have is the one I posted from Decay earlier off the jump punch confirm. So something like: J2, fully charged B2 (launches as a KB), 1, 1, 4xxQuad Grab (or you can substitute the end with 1, 12xx Double Heat shot for the only situation you can reasonably use that KB) is really the only "combo" you have. Barrett has actual combo links, but not super familiar with that variation.

*not an expert, by no means take this as gospel

freerf245

11 11 11 11
I prefer the Barret variation. He has similar pressure but he can punish you way harder for making a mistake. I think I may do a guide for Jax after finals are over. I love him so much in this game.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
So the description for the Grappler Combo brutality is wrong. I've lost rounds and have still been able to do it. I think it might be you have to win 2 consecutive rounds

I'm really not clear on the strategic differences between Jax's tournament variants. Both seem just like rushdown, one with more combos and one with more grabs. Am I missing nuances here? Is one any better against zoning, counter-rushdown, playing DEFENSE, etc.?

I'm really not clear on the strategic differences between Jax's tournament variants. Both seem just like rushdown, one with more combos and one with more grabs. Am I missing nuances here? Is one any better against zoning, counter-rushdown, playing DEFENSE, etc.?
In my opinion Hunker Down is more defensive. Grinnin Barret you're using meter to extend combos for extra damage, while you don't have to worry about that in Hunker Down. As a result you will have wake up options/breakaways available much more often.

Hunker down is heavy on the pressure and guessing games after a knockdown, Jax can close rounds very quickly with a few knockdowns, krushing blows, and correct guesses. I believe Hunker down has 6 Krushing Blows. Insane damage for free if you're landing all of those.

Grinnin Barret is rush down heavy as well, but not nearly as dependent on krushing blows for damage, although they do help, naturally. I believe this variation has 4 krushing blows. Both do pretty much the same thing,

TLDR; Grinning Barret has more consistent damage imo if you can't drop those krushing blows in hunker down. But Hunker Down requires little to no bar usage for its optimal damage, so you'll nearly always have a wake up option.

Can anyone describe the relative benefits of bf2 vs db4? I am really only using them enhanced for the pop-up, but if that's it, I'm not sure when to use one over the other?

freerf245

11 11 11 11
Can anyone describe the relative benefits of bf2 vs db4? I am really only using them enhanced for the pop-up, but if that's it, I'm not sure when to use one over the other?
Db4 scales less but leads to a smaller juggle. Bf2 allows you to get more hits in, but usually for less damage because of the scaling. The one I use depends on my screen position. Midscreen I use db4 for launching, but in the corner I use bf2.
Midscreen bnb:
Db4 ff d12 ff d12 gotcha grab
Corner bnb:
Bf2 mb s4 12 d12 gotcha grab

Is there any reliable way to get the heat missile KB in Hunker Down variation? It requires a combo of 8 hits or more, and the only way I can think of to pull that off in that variation is off the b2 KB.

Is there any reliable way to get the heat missile KB in Hunker Down variation? It requires a combo of 8 hits or more, and the only way I can think of to pull that off in that variation is off the b2 KB.
in the corner its pretty easy, jump in d12, d12, bf3, bf4.

Ok, since you bring it up, what are the primary pressure tools you use in Hunker Down? I'm sort of labbing that version in the background right now.
depends on how i feel my opponent reacts, in a perfect world i use f2,1+3 and f33, 1+3. If i see them stand blocking then is start mixing it up. I'll go f2, into low, stagger my f2 into another f2, f33 into another f33 or f2, f3 into just regular throw. Then my favorite, staggering f2 or f3, f33, into command grab. It almost always hits. Think about it, people are so busy tryna fuzzy our shit or lord forbid flawless block and once you start command grabbing them instead its game over. You can have your way with them. No joke i literally only lose with jax cuz i tend to go autopilot and just cancel into over head but whenever i make an effort to mix up like i stated if and when i get in the opponent looks panicked.

depends on how i feel my opponent reacts, in a perfect world i use f2,1+3 and f33, 1+3. If i see them stand blocking then is start mixing it up. I'll go f2, into low, stagger my f2 into another f2, f33 into another f33 or f2, f3 into just regular throw. Then my favorite, staggering f2 or f3, f33, into command grab. It almost always hits. Think about it, people are so busy tryna fuzzy our shit or lord forbid flawless block and once you start command grabbing them instead its game over. You can have your way with them. No joke i literally only lose with jax cuz i tend to go autopilot and just cancel into over head but whenever i make an effort to mix up like i stated if and when i get in the opponent looks panicked.
Huh! Good tips, thanks! I haven’t been putting much time into Quad Grab because the damage seemed awfully low for 2 bars, but maybe I’ll give it a whirl. I tend to play a bit more passive-aggressive and not so much rushdown-mix, so I’ll have to see how that can fit into my approach.

Huh! Good tips, thanks! I haven’t been putting much time into Quad Grab because the damage seemed awfully low for 2 bars, but maybe I’ll give it a whirl. I tend to play a bit more passive-aggressive and not so much rushdown-mix, so I’ll have to see how that can fit into my approach.
Are you getting a krushing blow out of it? It’s 350 damage bro, 400 fully heated. All that damage and all you gotta do is make them block