What's new

Question - Summoner Is Quan Chi in reality a mid tier character?

Is Quan Chi in reality a mid tier character?

• Yes.

Votes: 25 8.3%
  • No.

Votes: 260 86.7%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 15 5.0%

• Total voters
Scrubs on this website believe block infinite combos are acceptable. Look at Tom's thread.

Why can I not "stay full screen and lob projectiles while taking no risks"?
Two wrongs don't make a right. Honestly i think this game is heavily skewed in favor of rush down frame trap techniques. I'm not knocking people who use them because it's basically the only way to win consistently. Quan has so much dirt that it's hard to call him mid tier precisely because he excels at safe 50/50s, traps, and positive pressure. I agree that backdashes could use buffs and some characters need to have their pressure nerfed. For the most part I agree with you. No character in this game can win on zoning alone which is pretty sad but i think in now and in the future netherrealm will consider good zoning to be an extra asset to an arsenal to be used in a hybrid style and not a style in and of itself. You've been the most unwilling to adapt your playstyle to these changes. And we all know what happens to creatures that don't adapt...they play SSB.

The Highlander

There can be only one
Why do people still think zoning it terrible in this game? Like sonicfox didn't zone the fuck out of PL? Plenty of characters can zone very well in this game, there's just no spam special move to win button that you guys are used to...

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Why do people still think zoning it terrible in this game? Like sonicfox didn't zone the fuck out of PL? Plenty of characters can zone very well in this game, there's just no spam special move to win button that you guys are used to...
Because it is.

Outside of a few variations zoning is situational and MU dependent at best. Where as I can instantly think of 30 variations minimum that can walk into most MUs with a "pressure opponent for the win" strategy.
Where you call dedicated zoning a "spam special move to win button" I could call the rushdown heavy version of the games current state "spam pressure plus frames and mixups to win button".

Not t
Not to derail the thread but that really speaks more to how good sonic fox is. No other Kitanas have even broken top 8. Most people had her listed as mid tier and still do. It's just that sonic fox is broken. Compare that to Laos, Preds and Quans.

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
Not t

Not to derail the thread but that really speaks more to how good sonic fox is. No other Kitanas have even broken top 8. Most people had her listed as mid tier and still do. It's just that sonic fox is broken. Compare that to Laos, Preds and Quans.
Your both right. Kitana is best played as a zoner. Mournful on the other hand is a zone/rushdown fool able to stay safe 75% of the match. How can you rushdown/mix-up with Kitana? -1/-6 moves and a mid hitting projectile along with four armored moves, one being a launcher, and a combo-starting Ex projectile that mid screen can hit up to 39% while making her +27. Haha..fuck you guys. Mid-tier my ass. We high Mid-tier, bitches.

#NerfKenshi
*insert DOGE here*

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Your both right. Kitana is best played as a zoner. Mournful on the other hand is a zone/rushdown fool able to stay safe 75% of the match. How can you rushdown/mix-up with Kitana? -1/-6 moves and a mid hitting projectile along with four armored moves, one being a launcher, and a combo-starting Ex projectile that mid screen can hit up to 39% while making her +27. Haha..fuck you guys. Mid-tier my ass. We high Mid-tier, bitches.

#NerfKenshi
*insert DOGE here*
What armored launcher does Mournful have? The uppercut? What can you get after other than a toss?

The Highlander

There can be only one
Because it is.

Outside of a few variations zoning is situational and MU dependent at best. Where as I can instantly think of 30 variations minimum that can walk into most MUs with a "pressure opponent for the win" strategy.
Where you call dedicated zoning a "spam special move to win button" I could call the rushdown heavy version of the games current state "spam pressure plus frames and mixups to win button".
Lol, zoning is everywhere man. Sonic fox zones with Cassie for gods sake... It's just not in the form you like. Also that last part is BS, Zod literally could lock down characters by learning a special (albeit execution heavy), that's akin to a block infinite (which I am similarly against). Pressure characters like Johnny (a more upper mid character) don't learn a special and win, they need to make read after read after read in order to win. KL and LK might be on another level but that's a balance problem. I zone with tremor all the time, he's pretty damn good at it, and it works on a majority of the cast.

Last edited:

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
Seriously. I feel like you could put this thread under a microscope and see everything that is awesome and terrible about TYM all in one.

Best thread, ever.
I see more terrible than awesome. This is like a GameFAQS thread right now.

BTW, Imp Shin vs. Sum Quan: 4.5-5.5 at worst. Basically whoever gets started and keeps up that vortex for longest. I only ever play Imp for Quan ever, comboing Mimicry into Trance is just too key.

NRS, please announce something Kombat Pack 2 related cause the insanity is too real right now.

Ya'll so quick to be nasty over the most irrelevant shit.
Oh goody! More nerf/buff/abysmal threads in the span of two days of a character being out! Maybe they might even buff your Shokan Prince GORO. :DOGE

In all seriousness this topic prob should be monitored/closed since it seems personal shit is starting to get slung and that's fair to no one. Besides, anything that could of been talked about has been said by Quan experts and pros alike with an essential unanimous decision.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Lol, zoning is everywhere man. Sonic fox zones with Cassie for gods sake... It's just not in the form you like. Also that last part is BS, Zod literally could lock down characters by learning a special (albeit execution heavy), that's akin to a block infinite (which I am similarly against). Pressure characters like Johnny (a more upper mid character) don't learn a special and win, they need to make read after read after read in order to win. KL and LK might be on another level but that's a balance problem. I zone with tremor all the time, he's pretty damn good at it, and it works on a majority of the cast.
That's Zod. A character in a different game. You completely dismissed my point while referencing a game that wasn't MKX as an example.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I don't know whats more cringeworthy, the fact that Pig has no other response than to cite his Mortal Kombat achievements to justify his toxic behaviour as a person, or that there is people who will still dickride him when he does it

Or that he has to say "5 years" and not just 1, b
That's Zod. A character in a different game. You completely dismissed my point while referencing a game that wasn't MKX as an example.
RS Kitana
Summoner Quan
BS Shinnok
HQT Predator
Maybe Jacqui? Don't know that much about her

Three out of five have great offense as well.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Not t

Nice of you trying to not derail the thread, but is it really worth preserving?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
RS Kitana
Summoner Quan
BS Shinnok
HQT Predator
Maybe Jacqui? Don't know that much about her

Three out of five have great offense as well.
Jacqui can zone in some MUs, but others it's more of a counter to zoning. The rest on that list can zone in most of their matches as a viable strategy.

Now compare that list with the amount of variations in the game that can by rushdown in the majority of their MUs. :DOGE

Espio

Kokomo
Shouldn't the focus be on QUALITY over quantity? If multiple zoners can compete in a competitive offline environment consistently that should be enough to say that it is a viable strategy.

The game favors more aggressive play, but the fact that zoning strategies are viable makes it not nearly as a big of a deal as people make it out to be overall.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Rising fan into air glaive into shadow kick for 20%. It should never be used when you can get 17% from her armored staff grab and that is much safer.
rising blade, air glaive, run d1 staff grab = 24% (hard link with d1). Since the shadow kick has 12f startup I'm pretty sure you can do throat slice after toss for a bit more that 20%. The staff grab is always punishable, it's hard for some characters but it's not safe

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Shouldn't the focus be on QUALITY over quantity? If multiple zoners can compete in a competitive offline environment consistently that should be enough to say that it is a viable strategy.

The game favors more aggressive play, but the fact that zoning strategies are viable makes it not nearly as a big of a deal as people make it out to be overall.
No because I don't like HQT Predator or Quan Chi so that means I can't zone most of the times. I like quantity OF quality. -.-

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Isn't that a personal problem though? lol

Just wait for Sindel, then we can zone everyone out with royal class and style.
I swear when they announce her in KP2 and I see that first air skull I'm going to mark the hell out!