What's new

Question - Summoner Is Quan Chi in reality a mid tier character?

Is Quan Chi in reality a mid tier character?

• Yes.

Votes: 25 8.3%
  • No.

Votes: 260 86.7%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 15 5.0%

• Total voters

M2Dave

Zoning Master
The game favors more aggressive play, but the fact that zoning strategies are viable makes it not nearly as a big of a deal as people make it out to be overall.
It is not a big deal to anti-zoning propagandists such as yourself. The reality is that zoning is mostly utilized to set up offense, not more zoning, in this game.

Running has entirely limited zoning. In Mortal Kombat X, one knock down guarantees some type of pressure no matter where you are on the screen whereas in Mortal Kombat 9 and Injustice you were required to dash forward two or three times. Sometimes even more.

Cybernetic Kano is the best example of a character who has very good zoning that is ultimately irrelevant because it does not complement any type of offensive game. If it did, he would be as good as Quan Chi and Predator.

DOOMSDAY-15RUS-

i'LL DESTROY YOU ALL
Everyone don't play Tanya, KL or JC and we suffer a lot against quand chi. Maybe all pro players are always ready to counter pick, but personally I haven't fun with counter picking

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Just like you ignored my whole point to focus on that one sentence? I want concrete examples of this terrible zoning.
My ignoring the majority of your post was in response to you ignoring the majority of mine first. Simple math is simple. Let's stick to the facts that need to be addressed.

MKX has over 80 variations. I can name over 30 without even hesitating that can solely play pressure heavy gameplans an entire match, or an entire set, successfully, for the majority of their MUs in the game. Literally almost half the cast off the top of my head, easily. More if I actually thought about it. Can you name 10 variations in this game that has over 80 variations that can successfully zone the majority of MUs as a viable gameplan? As in implementing a zoning based strategy for an entire set against the majority of the cast successfully?

We're not talking about what Kenshi and Freddy could do in MK9, or what Zod and Sinestro could do in Inj. We are discussing MKX. If you cannot do this then it further proves MKX has limited viable zoning outside of a few exceptions which has been stated. If you can I'd love to hear the 10 variations.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Not gonna lie. When both the Archer and Gunmen cant zone for shit you know something is wrong.
Yeah I thought they would replace deathstroke/noob online, but was plesantly surprised.
I thought Quan would be low tier when he was revealed, I thought "who wants to fuck around with some bat while getting pelted with who knows what"....guess I was right all along :DOGE.

D

Deleted member 9158

Warlock has defensive capabilities with armoured specials and wake ups. But no one plays it.

That's the beauty of the meta game; as it develops, initial thoughts and opinions alter. Maybe now people can stop crying when they lose to quan chi if the community no longer decides he is top tier. Hakunah mahtata.

MrSoloLobo

I have a keen eye for all things broken.
I don't really wanna read all of this but I'm sure it was juicy. Classic Dave thread lol.

Iced_Taz

Characters loyalist :)
I have question about Quan Chi Summoner. How block his damn mix ups ? They are very broken. I must block low and OH in the same time.

I don't think it's an exaggeration. Impostor Shinnok hits you and his vortex ends after one loop depending on the special he steals. Boneshaper has a fuzzy-able mix up, with the OH option being unsafe and the throw ending the vortex, low option ending in hell sparks giving him another mix up as you said. This always seemed manageable, in all my MU experience against him he never seemed "broken." There's a fair chance to block Shinnok's mix ups.

Quan can do the same things, with important differences. In any variation, Quan can loop his vortex with no limitation to trance, unlike Impostor. The mix up following is unreactable, a true guess, again unlike Shinnok. Also, when Quan spends a bar, he's so much more advantage. Then there's the obvious; once Summoner Quan has you, the likelihood of blocking the bat/ OH is so slim that the smart money is on the round being over, every time. That's just scratching the surface.

Maybe new tech will come out, making bat easier to block though. Not crying for nerfs, just stating the obvious (?) differences.
You are exaggerating by saying "once quan has you you're gone for good" thats really not always true , rarely did this happen in an actual match unless we are talking about ranked scrubs...

That's simply not true. While he can put you in an unblockable vortex that literally the only way out is 1 frame block link that he can ADJUST THE TIMING OF (lol GL getting that) it's extremely likely that you have to play 100% perfect against Quan, because he even has amazing ways to kill you even without using that.

On the flip side of the coin - name a character that actually immediately beats Quan off a single touch?

What you said applies more to playing against Quan than it does to playing as him.
Its not unblockable at all lol its not what makes quan "op" nor that he can loop it , if people spent more than 10 mins in practice mode they will figure out its easy to block...

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Its not unblockable at all lol its not what makes quan "op" nor that he can loop it , if people spent more than 10 mins in practice mode they will figure out its easy to block...
Show me a video where you block QC's OH/Bat double hit mixup with good execution 5 times in a row. Mix up the OH and the low each time with tight timing and block it 5 times straight. I want to see someone do it. Anyone.