What's new

Question - Summoner Is Quan Chi in reality a mid tier character?

Is Quan Chi in reality a mid tier character?

• Yes.

Votes: 25 8.3%
  • No.

Votes: 260 86.7%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 15 5.0%

• Total voters

M2Dave

Zoning Master
A while ago, I read a post from @STB Shujinkydink that entertained the thought that Quan Chi may be an overrated top tier character because of the lack of defensive options. Just like the vast majority of people in the community, I was initially submerged with the "Quan Chi is the best character in the game" propaganda, particularly post-patch, so I entirely dismissed Dink's idea. As I play and watch Mortal Kombat X each day, I would like to reevaluate this idea, which I now believe holds a certain degree of legitimacy.

@EGP Wonder_Chef managed to win a major tournament when Mortal Kombat X was in its infancy. No Quan Chi player has won a regional or major tournament ever since. In fact, all Quan Chi players have suffered the same fate ever since. One places top 8. Another may counter-pick. But the results are always the same. Quan Chi players are knocked down and wall carried, where they block infinite combos until they die. The words "block infinite combos" are perhaps a little bit of an exaggeration, but Quan Chi is usually forced to guess three or four times before having an opportunity to escape. D'Vorah, Erron Black, Johnny Cage, Kung Lao, Liu Kang, and Tanya are just some of the characters whose offense is incessant against Quan Chi.

The ultimate and arguably more interesting question is, how can Quan Chi be considered "clearly the best post-patch character" in the game when results and theory are inconsistent? Who are the people who continue making such a statement? Are they anti-zoning zealots? Are they TYM scrubs disguising as high level players? Are they YOMI rush down fools with an agenda? I personally believe that these people do not actually share the belief that Quan Chi is the best character in the game. They are merely anti-zoning zealots with a hidden agenda to normalize the vortex and the vestige of zoning that remains in the game. Quan Chi is a viable tournament character with non-existent defensive options playing a game in which offensive options rival Marvel's. Do not allow anyone to fool you. Quan Chi being a mid tier character is definitely within the realm of possibility.

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
This thread is gonna go places. Let's enjoy the show.
I don't even think it'll get started, as much as I'd love the show. I predict a mod will either cancel this thread or merge it with another "Quan is Overrated" thread...possibly even the one mentioned in the OP.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Quan Chi being lower than top 3 is not in the realm of possibility at all. 60% combos for one bar of meter, 50% unbreakables, best mixups/vortex in the game, best comeback factor in the game, best zoning in the game.

As bad as it for Quan to get cornered, it's just as bad or even WORSE for the other character to be in his vortex