What's new

Is Kombat League fun, if so how would you rate the FUN FACTOR on a scale from 1-10?

Is Kombat League fun to anyone, if so how would you rate the FUN FACTOR on a scale from 1-10?

Votes: 23 17.6%

Votes: 7 5.3%

Votes: 7 5.3%

Votes: 12 9.2%

Votes: 9 6.9%

Votes: 14 10.7%

Votes: 3 2.3%

Votes: 11 8.4%

Votes: 4 3.1%

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Undecided because some days are good, other days suck balls

Votes: 13 9.9%
  • Fun and Kombat League do not belong in the same sentence!!

• Total voters

Anarchist_Gib

Shao Kahn main, please your send prayers!
Man the koth in mk 9 the presentation, avatars. I remember xbox
I remember you talking mad shit to my friend and I for beating you once, and proceeding to spend the afternoon in a KOTH trying to demolish us(which you pretty much did).

There was a lot of smack talk back in those days (before the asshat enforcement policy of xbox today)..... BUT IT WAS GLORIOUS!

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I remember you talking mad shit to my friend and I for beating you once, and proceeding to spend the afternoon in a KOTH trying to demolish us(which you pretty much did).

There was a lot of smack talk back in those days (before the asshat enforcement policy of xbox today)..... BUT IT WAS GLORIOUS!
??? Chances are if I did talk shit it was because one of you did first I can assure you lol I'm never the aggressor, but back in mk 9 I had alot gunning for me, stalkers, nutjobs etc. When was this? I played the ahit out of koth and player rank in mk 9 so I'm guessing that game? Lol

Haha yeah I mean here and there it's a little fun but I feel like the smack in mk 9 and before that had a respect to it if someone beat someone or backed their skill. Now it's just like insanely toxic just for winning vs someone you face the first time and wishing death on someone or their family lol. Yeah, guess you can say I've pissed a few people off early on in kl...

I miss the mk 9, umk 3, deception etc days online. But nice to chat with you again random anarchist guy lol

Thingy

Retired account
If NRS gives us FT3 in Kombat League, I may consider actually playing Kombat League. I have been having a lot of fun in the wacky world of Kasual Matches.

Anarchist_Gib

Shao Kahn main, please your send prayers!
??? Chances are if I did talk shit it was because one of you did first I can assure you lol I'm never the aggressor, but back in mk 9 I had alot gunning for me, stalkers, nutjobs etc. When was this? I played the ahit out of koth and player rank in mk 9 so I'm guessing that game? Lol

Haha yeah I mean here and there it's a little fun but I feel like the smack in mk 9 and before that had a respect to it if someone beat someone or backed their skill. Now it's just like insanely toxic just for winning vs someone you face the first time and wishing death on someone or their family lol. Yeah, guess you can say I've pissed a few people off early on in kl...

I miss the mk 9, umk 3, deception etc days online. But nice to chat with you again random anarchist guy lol
Them MK9 KOTHs were the stuff of legend! You definitely started the smack talk (you thought my friends Kang got a lucky win and sent him a message for a rematch), but it was all in good competitive fun and we stuck at that KOTH for pretty much a whole afternoon getting our shit kicked in by you and ended up learning alot about the matchups that were played. Definitely one of the more memorable times for me especially that helped the transition into a better player. I don't remember what my tag was back in the day, maybe AtheistGib or LibertarianUSA, but the friend's tag was Human Oxymoron.

Always a pleasure sir!

MKF30

Them MK9 KOTHs were the stuff of legend! You definitely started the smack talk (you thought my friends Kang got a lucky win and sent him a message for a rematch), but it was all in good competitive fun and we stuck at that KOTH for pretty much a whole afternoon getting our shit kicked in by you and ended up learning alot about the matchups that were played. Definitely one of the more memorable times for me especially that helped the transition into a better player. I don't remember what my tag was back in the day, maybe AtheistGib or LibertarianUSA, but the friend's tag was Human Oxymoron.

Always a pleasure sir!
Yeah sounds like mk 9 lol. Yeah koth were great in mk 9 something about it just stood out from the mkz and mk 11 you know? The atmosphere the avatars, the koth set up etc. Fun times. He I actually miss LK in mk 9 vs mkx and mk 11 not fun to play against lol. Mk 9 he was more honest haha. Yep. Human oxy sounds a little familiar. Yep a a pleasure for sure thanks for posting. Good luck if you play KL lol.

Error404

Noob
Seriously , if you removed ranks and just left the skin grind , the mode wouldn't change at all. That's how you know , the ranking is irrelevant. Instead of letting you keep your rank , so that you can consistently play people of your level and get better , it just makes you grind.

I only gave it a 5/10 because it forces you to play a FT2 . And most people in kasuals just win 1 game , teabag and leave.

KL is an emotional rollercoaster. Sometimes you are so relaxed, because you hit confirm everything and read the game well. Sometimes you are pissed off because you were beaten by a zoner which you devastated a day ago. You meet people whose are good, you meet people who are grinding the skins with spamming (and never use them).
Sometimes you meet an interesting person who uses Raijin for Raiden and it's an annoying/thrilling game of patience.

One thing you could benefit from KL, learn about yourself. For Pro players KL is nothing. For me, it's a lesson about my gameplay, my temper. And i cannot emphasize temper enough. If you pissed off, you play worse. And that's a trap, because you lose more games and you will be more pissed off. :)

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
I typically have the time and patience to only play a couple hours so I usually get my 5 KL sets in and I'm done for the day.

And IDK about everyone complaining here, but on Xbox the connections for the most part are pretty solid, the character variation is pretty solid, and the toxicity while there, is not constant. IDK if PS4 people are just hyper complainer/exaggerators, but I have had 2-3 hr sessions on KL with like only one really bad connection. Sure there's your wifi here and there but it's tolerable wifi not the frame dropping shit I see on people's streams.

I gave it a 7 bc it keeps me entertained, but extended sets with a wired friend are always more fun.
My biggest gripe is rank reset. I wish I felt like my rank was something I've earned over my entire mk11 play. Or I wish you had diff rank for diff characters used, to monitor character progress.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Fun factor for all nrs games:

mk9: 10
Injustice 1: 8
MKX: 6
Injustice 2: 7
Mk11: 7

I hated that run no footsies/ fifty fifty/ armored garbage that was mkx. Well hated is a strong word. Liked it but liked it the least

MuMuGuy

Noob
  • bad matchmaking (only decline if the ping exceeds 150ms)
  • no WiFi filtering option
  • point decay (some of us have work, family, school, etc. and can’t play everyday)
  • inconsistent point gains/losses
  • KL tied rewards
I hate Kombat League and don’t play it, gave it a 1 since a zero means the mode has some kind of game breaking issue that makes it unplayable. The mode sucking doesn’t mean it’s broken.

MKF30

I can understand why people give it a 0, I kind of put 0 in there for shits didn't think it would LEAD the poll but that should tell you something that it is heavily flawed.

KL is an emotional rollercoaster. Sometimes you are so relaxed, because you hit confirm everything and read the game well. Sometimes you are pissed off because you were beaten by a zoner which you devastated a day ago. You meet people whose are good, you meet people who are grinding the skins with spamming (and never use them).
Sometimes you meet an interesting person who uses Raijin for Raiden and it's an annoying/thrilling game of patience.

One thing you could benefit from KL, learn about yourself. For Pro players KL is nothing. For me, it's a lesson about my gameplay, my temper. And i cannot emphasize temper enough. If you pissed off, you play worse. And that's a trap, because you lose more games and you will be more pissed off. :)
Honestly as a zoner player myself, I don't mind if someone is zoning me, if they can't get in or I can't get in that's my fault or theirs. But when there's horrific lag anything can be annoying like people who constantly abuse frame traps, jailing, staggers with lag is far more frustrating to me than a zoner because at least I can trade with them or get near them via a teleporter if I'm using one. But I can't stand when people use staggers and when it's my turn and they're safe on a whiffed attacked. This seriously pisses me off and happens a lot.

I use Raiden but TW, still overall a low tier none the less and beat Scorps,Frost's, Kabal's etc higher tier characters and it's not fun nor easy that and I'm also playing with a busted control atm sometimes certain imputs don't register which makes it even more frustrating. I wouldn't say it's nothing for pro players, I've seen them stream and most of the time they get to only GM or DG when I watch their channels, streams etc It's not so much the competition it's all the bs we have to deal with in KL overall, the grind, the toxicity, the lag, cheaters, teabaggers, etc, etc just not worth the prize imo. NRS needs to find other ways to put these "exclusive skins" elsewhere in the game to get.

I typically have the time and patience to only play a couple hours so I usually get my 5 KL sets in and I'm done for the day.

And IDK about everyone complaining here, but on Xbox the connections for the most part are pretty solid, the character variation is pretty solid, and the toxicity while there, is not constant. IDK if PS4 people are just hyper complainer/exaggerators, but I have had 2-3 hr sessions on KL with like only one really bad connection. Sure there's your wifi here and there but it's tolerable wifi not the frame dropping shit I see on people's streams.

I gave it a 7 bc it keeps me entertained, but extended sets with a wired friend are always more fun.
My biggest gripe is rank reset. I wish I felt like my rank was something I've earned over my entire mk11 play. Or I wish you had diff rank for diff characters used, to monitor character progress.
IDK man, I play on xbox as you know besides the switch. And I get laggy ass people all the time on KL or lag switchers, no doubt cheaters on Xbox. Not constantly but it's consistent for sure.

One thing I forgot to mention besides toxicity that makes Kombat League so infuriating is that you're punished for playing. If you play this shit for 4 weeks, every late starter God and Elder God will hump your corpse and get a juicy 30-50 points off of you. I hate it when I'm at Champion with 21/17 and I get matched up against a Kombatant with 13/1 for a +10/-50. So the game encourages a late starter strategy, the more skilled you are, the later you should start to score easy +91-150s.

Then there's another well-known trap: if you're mediocre, you'll start losing eventually. If you're reasonable and hold your temper, you'll quit. But the game expects you to go for just another win before I stop and you're on an ugly losing streak before you know it. But if you're a real hopeless mofo, the game will show mercy eventually. You'll get a match where you can score big against an opponent you can beat unless you go batshit crazy by the time it's coming up. The best thing you can do is stopping after 3 loses in a row. But NRS don't want you to drop the game so you'll get a helping hand here and there. And that's why I truly hate KL, because they promised a matchmaking system where you'd be matched up against players with similar skill level but the reality is anything but. When it's off-season I much more likely to be paired with players in my league but KL is just a shitshow.

And when you realize this, you can use it to your advantage. When I'm at Grand Master, I usually start playing for points. It's not fun but good for sanity. If I get 100 points a day, I stop. Sometimes it's two straight wins and I'm gone. But sometimes the junkie comes out and I'm fooled by the illusion I'm on a roll and my next match is a -50 and my monitor is in grave danger. But seriously, the less I play, the more I progress. Once again I'm rewarded for not playing too much.

And there's the actual punishment: the disgusting +10/-50, +20/-36 and so on. What the actual eff? Why is this a thing? I mean I know why, because NRS wants you to come back. If you breeze through to your desired rank, it's not good enough for them. So losing is necessary because you have to make up lost ground.

And there's that effin points decay I want to punch the designers in the face for. I only missed out on Demi God once when I went away with friends for 3 and a half days. I was such an idiot that I knew I wouldn't be back before 80+ hours but I still played a set before leaving in the morning hoping for a miracle. 3 and a half days later, my first thing was to boot up my system to check KL and guess what? 100 points were already taken. Then my game crashed in a +10/-100 match (oh yes, it used to be even worse back then) and I said fuck it.

So basically you're punished for playing and punished for not playing. Isn't KL the best thing ever made?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
When the connection is good, it’s a 10.
When the connection is bad, it’s a 0.

Simple really, at least for me.

1 until they fix the WiFi and region filtering. Makes no sense that I got matched up with mostly WiFi warriors with McDonald's Wifi that turn the matches into a sucky lag fest.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
It's not for everyone. I like the idea of ranked but imo ft2 in netplay, over and over and over feel more like a grind than fun. I enjoy tournaments but I have a hard time staying interested in kl. If I'm playing online I'd much rather run sets.

It would be better if they tightened up matchmaking, added a dynamic ping counter at the match up screen, added wifi filter and if they didnt take points for being inactive.

MKF30

Tonight had 3 pullers, and I didn't get credit....would have won. Anyone who likes KL is either an nrs shill or apparently likes playing toxic cheaters. But then the poll speaks for itself. So much fun.

And I forgot how shit tier the point system is too. Amazing how half the higher ranked players have shitty wifi connections and in love how there's thousands of players yet I always get paired up with the same 5 idiots...

Last edited:
Kombat League sounded great in concept but after months it really failed for me. I love this game. Shang Tsung in spite of his flaw really sold me. Nostalgia and Mr. Tagawa solidified I was going to play this character as I grew up when MK1 hit arcades and Old Geriatric men wrecked in kung fu movies. He was an intimidating final boss and this design was amazing. In spite of his flaws i've played this game since release, make gameplay videos on youtube that expose how bad my reaction times are, and really highlight how bad I am at making reads. IN spite of all that I still enjoy the character and the game. However if there is one thing that burns me out and makes me not want to play, it's Kombat League.

The mode is just too stressful for what it is. Point Decay unless you play 24/7 (yes 24/7) is really a problem. If you have a backlog or other things you want to do, that time gets extremely limited when you have to grind to at least Demi God to unlock skins that I'll never use. I feel this is made to encourage people with OCD that have to have everything, continue playing. I stopped playing last season and have not touched it this season. Unless things change i'll likely stick to player match or friendlies.

The Connections.... They are just god awful and NRS is being deceptive. I swear I remember MKX having way, way, way better netcode and connections than this game does. The lag switchers, pullers, and wifi are unacceptable in this game. Especially when you lose massive points to a lower rank and all you want to do is hit a rank to get the skins and drop the mode. I think a majority will agree the connections are a problem in this game. There are lag switchers everywhere in this game and they get away with it. Ping spikes of 50+ are extremely Common in this game. Also, I have no hard evidence to back this up, but I feel as if WB or NRS designed the ping counters with a safety net that Lies to you on what a connection is in order to keep more people playing instead of being declined. The ping counters in game are always 50 or more higher than they are advertised. And they also have a system in place that places you with players that play the same character you just lost to. I don't know how this works but if a random Erron black appears and dominates you, there is a high chance the next person you play will pick Erron Black. Not sure how the algorithm works but I imagine its based on how much people play a character and move them to the front of the line if they play the character you lost to. This was extremely annoying during the UPgraded Jacqui domination. Others have to have noticed this. If it's a coincidence, it's an unbelievably common coincidence. Also the pullers, they'll pull the plug at the last minute and you wont get any point credit for winning. This is a huge problem and it happens often. When Matches take upwards of 10+ minutes, time management really factors in. The amount of time it takes to grind what you need is too much for a fighting game. I don't want to play the game only to unlock stuff, I want to play the game and have fun. I would prefer the unlocks be a reward for me enjoying the game! Anyone else feel me on this?

Why can't they just design the unlocks gated behind ranks based on how many matches you play? Each season could be inclusive with it's rewards still but the skins and gear could be random unlocks at a fixed % like an item drop in an mmo, that unlock the more matches you play as a reward for playing Kombat League. This i believe would relieve the stress of losing to a wifi user with crazy input delay. A revamp of the leader boards would need to take place that caries over each month. The Wifi players and honestly the lag spikes which are aplenty ARE NOT FUN! Too many people grind to a certain rank for skins and drop the mode. THis is not how ranked should be. Ranked should be for people that really want to prove themselves against the world on a leaderboard. So they can stripped down and do helicopters around their room when they win.

The reset every month is really burning me out. Everytime I hit Demi God breath a sigh of relief as I don't have to endure it anymore. Then i go back to player or invite friends and have a blast, or play something else. After months of relieving the same thing, something really, really needs to change. I honestly wouldn't mind if the KL skins ended up in the krypt or on the market. And i'm saying this from having grinded it all since KL's inception.

Sorry for the Wall of Text

TLDR it sucks

Fun factor - 3/10

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Man the koth in mk 9 the presentation, avatars. I remember xbox got our own unique avatars, ps3 got the shitty generic few mk characters but the theatre mode in both with cheer options, f bombs, signs, throwing tomatoes, fist pumping, booing etc was the greatest koth mode ever to be in any fighting game. Why they didn't bring that back is beyond me. Now it's just boring and generic. Still better than kl though.
Facts. This is the truth.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I think KL is just too bland. You can choose to whiz on by the earlier rankings until Grand Master and fumble about till you hit God rank. Even then your rewards are granted but why choose to continue playing?

Between wifi warriors. Lag spikes assassin's and just outright bad connections and loads and loads of hate mail why continue to rank up for cosmetics.

I can't see how they can improve on it more then what we've been asking them for years to do. Which clearly they are not interested in doing.

I also think once you hit demigod it should switch to ft3 than ft2 sets.

appo

º°˜¨EU¨˜°º
when you are forced to play matches where you cant even block fullscreen fireballs on reaction due to the shit connections they force you to play....fuck the combat league and nr for this shit. the connection quality to russians is just disgusting and infuriating...and thats what you get nearly all day. fuck this shit.
implement a fucking ping and region filter for gods sake...cant be that hard.

Last edited:

Espio

Kokomo
I only play it when I want to and when I don't, I don't.

I gave it 7/10. Not bad, but not the best thing ever. I only play when something interests me or I wanna work on some things, it has been treating me well with that in mind and many times I run into good high level players.

Also people complaining about the stat decay....all you have to do is play one set every couple days. If you can't play for five to ten minutes obviously the game isn't something you are invested in so why do you care about point decay? lol. Make it make sense.

MKF30

I think KL is just too bland. You can choose to whiz on by the earlier rankings until Grand Master and fumble about till you hit God rank. Even then your rewards are granted but why choose to continue playing?

Between wifi warriors. Lag spikes assassin's and just outright bad connections and loads and loads of hate mail why continue to rank up for cosmetics.

I can't see how they can improve on it more then what we've been asking them for years to do. Which clearly they are not interested in doing.

I also think once you hit demigod it should switch to ft3 than ft2 sets.
Yeah man, they dropped the ball with KL. This mode makes me hate the game bigtime, if it wasn't for KL(say it didn't exist and they just put the skins, gear in ToT or another Gauntlet, I'd be fine) but no they had to take the stupid route on path idiot way and moronic blvd.

I just pray that like the other DLC Fujin, Sheeva, RB etc coming they better NOT put their shit in KL I swear to God if they do I will personally spam all the NRS twitters telling them how dumb that would be, but I don't think they'll do that.

I only play it when I want to and when I don't, I don't.

I gave it 7/10. Not bad, but not the best thing ever. I only play when something interests me or I wanna work on some things, it has been treating me well with that in mind and many times I run into good high level players.

Also people complaining about the stat decay....all you have to do is play one set every couple days. If you can't play for five to ten minutes obviously the game isn't something you are invested in so why do you care about point decay? lol. Make it make sense.
Let's hope they don't hide Jade's Kotal outfit behind Demi God, I dont know why but I have this bad feeling they will. She's never had a DG ranked skin yet, if they do I may just say screw it...