What's new

Is Kombat League fun, if so how would you rate the FUN FACTOR on a scale from 1-10?

Is Kombat League fun to anyone, if so how would you rate the FUN FACTOR on a scale from 1-10?

Votes: 23 17.6%

Votes: 7 5.3%

Votes: 7 5.3%

Votes: 12 9.2%

Votes: 9 6.9%

Votes: 14 10.7%

Votes: 3 2.3%

Votes: 11 8.4%

Votes: 4 3.1%

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Undecided because some days are good, other days suck balls

Votes: 13 9.9%
  • Fun and Kombat League do not belong in the same sentence!!

• Total voters

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Curious to see how people feel about this mode, I've seen some people not just on the internet in general(mostly if not on here on YT claim) "this mode is fun, it's worth the rewards because you worked for it and there's stakes"

Most of you already know how I feel about it so no need to go off again.

I'm more curious to see how much fun you guys find this mode.

Feel free to rate and discuss.

An okay idea marred by the reality that you're playing a fighting game online and thus deal with developers all across the globe that still, 20 years later, are stuck using glorified GameSpy era shit while just about every other multiplayer game out there is actually playable and enjoyable.

As it stands: 5/10.

If NRS and other fighting game devs actually got netcode that didn't suck Goro dick: 10/10

Agilaz

It has begun
I gave it a 5. Major cons are the rank down if you don't play for a few days and the fact that ppl play VERY differently compared to private or kasual. It's either maniacal button mashing or extreme turtling.

It makes sense, most people will either go crazy or keep the risks to an absolute minimum if there's something on the line, but damn if it's not frustrating to play against that mentality. In kasual people are more likely to try new and different things, which in turn allows you too to be exposed to new situations. You learn more, you perform better, you gain more confidence with the character. It's all just so much better than KL.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
4/10.
Auto rank down for not playing over time in a super short ranked system makes NO sense.

Point distributions are more a grind than a feeling of natural advancement over time.

Point gains/losses are designed ONLY around current ranks of players, not anything else.

Super short leagues make the overall system more and more of a chore as time goes by since release. You're just in it to unlock things, not really to get rank ups because your rank lasts no time.

System is currently designed to greatly encourage waiting till the last 10 days of the league to play as point gains early are trash due to everyone working on early ranks while point gains later are insane due to players already being in GM+.

Nothing encourages continuous play past the daily 5 sets for the reward.

The daily 5 sets is actually a hindrance to playing more as you're forced into getting 5 sets during each of 10 days if you want all the KL rewards. Why bother playing past those 5 sets if you know you're going to be doing another mandatory 5 sets for the next 9 days too?

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
I'm not exaggerating when I give it a 1/10. It's so garbage on so many levels. Just play it to get the special brutalities and whatnot and then dumpster it.

All the cosmetics are reskins of other cosmetics already in the game. There's no point in getting bent out of shape grinding to unlock a new Kano eye that's just a different color scheme from one in the character towers. Even if they weren't, they're just cosmetics and it's not worth the effort.

The people who play on there are legit scum. You can play a really tight, close game that you just barely lose and they tea bag you and send you a bunch of bullshit. And you can't blacklist them. As anti-bullying as NRS has become, with them going as far as changing Shao Kahn so he doesn't say "YOU SUCK" anymore and calling the Loser's Bracket the Lower Bracket, I'm pretty amazed that they still don't have an option to avoid toxic, asshole players. I had a dude sending me hatemail during our match today and I was just like what drives someone to behave this way?

No blacklist for bad connections either. Sometimes people will have wifi connections that are pretty solid with minimal interference, but some people have mad unstable connections. I once matched with someone with a 220 MS ping, rejected it, then matched him again later with a 25 MS ping. Wifi is not ideal. It can work, but the difference is 100% noticeable.

Rankings don't mean anything. Next time someone brags that they're a God-ranked player on Kombat League block them. In Demi-God, every win nets 50 points and every lose takes 25. If you have a straight 1.0 W/L ratio you'll get God rank. 50%. It resets after every season too, so it's not like you feel much forward momentum. When you hit God rank you could be playing against a pro player or the wifi Scorpion you were slapping around three weeks ago.

Best of Three favors gimmicky playstyles. At an intermediate level, you don't really benefit from playing a quick two matches with one person and moving on. Best of Five with the ability to drop out of a set? That's the ticket. Bo3 may be tournament standard but, guess what, I'm not in a tournament. I'm playing meaningless online matches with a flowcharting Jade on WiFi.

Play long sets in Player matches or Rooms or KotHs. Find matches on Discord. The worst thing a dedicated ranking system can be is meaningless. They should just switch it to a straight up leaderboard with permanent ranks, or at least have you play a few matches to determine where you start.

I'm not exaggerating when I give it a 1/10. It's so garbage on so many levels. Just play it to get the special brutalities and whatnot and then dumpster it.

All the cosmetics are reskins of other cosmetics already in the game. There's no point in getting bent out of shape grinding to unlock a new Kano eye that's just a different color scheme from one in the character towers. Even if they weren't, they're just cosmetics and it's not worth the effort.

The people who play on there are legit scum. You can play a really tight, close game that you just barely lose and they tea bag you and send you a bunch of bullshit. And you can't blacklist them. As anti-bullying as NRS has become, with them going as far as changing Shao Kahn so he doesn't say "YOU SUCK" anymore and calling the Loser's Bracket the Lower Bracket, I'm pretty amazed that they still don't have an option to avoid toxic, asshole players. I had a dude sending me hatemail during our match today and I was just like what drives someone to behave this way?

No blacklist for bad connections either. Sometimes people will have wifi connections that are pretty solid with minimal interference, but some people have mad unstable connections. I once matched with someone with a 220 MS ping, rejected it, then matched him again later with a 25 MS ping. Wifi is not ideal. It can work, but the difference is 100% noticeable.

Rankings don't mean anything. Next time someone brags that they're a God-ranked player on Kombat League block them. In Demi-God, every win nets 50 points and every lose takes 25. If you have a straight 1.0 W/L ratio you'll get God rank. 50%. It resets after every season too, so it's not like you feel much forward momentum. When you hit God rank you could be playing against a pro player or the wifi Scorpion you were slapping around three weeks ago.

Best of Three favors gimmicky playstyles. At an intermediate level, you don't really benefit from playing a quick two matches with one person and moving on. Best of Five with the ability to drop out of a set? That's the ticket. Bo3 may be tournament standard but, guess what, I'm not in a tournament. I'm playing meaningless online matches with a flowcharting Jade on WiFi.

Play long sets in Player matches or Rooms or KotHs. Find matches on Discord. The worst thing a dedicated ranking system can be is meaningless. They should just switch it to a straight up leaderboard with permanent ranks, or at least have you play a few matches to determine where you start.
It’s also trash because it’s literally the only mode most people want to play.

I remember back in the day of MK9 and X when it was just 1 match winner take all, you would face random scrubs all day but eventually you would get that player who took you to the limit or bodied your shit and you wanted more and they were more likely to give it to you.

In mk11 when you face such a player and challenge them to a set there is either no response or “srry man I gotta grind 8hunna matches for this Liu Kang Headband.”

Also I think it was you who mentioned it before(if it wasn’t sorry for the mistake.) that dredging through first to twos all day long with different spectrums of skill levels causes people to become flowcharty and kinda just go through the motions which leads them to start losing and gets them salty and ruins their experience.

I forgot to comment in that thread that it was the truest thing about Kombat League I have ever heard.

Ranking doesn't make much sense in a 1v1 fighter where you could face a pro player at Apprentice because they didn't play all KL until the last few days and proceeds to stomp the shit out of players in those low ranks. I'd get rid of the whole ranking thing entirely and make unlockables contingent on playing KL period. If you win, the quicker you unlock it all so it gives some incentives for players of all skill ranks to keep going ahead knowing they'll eventually get everything and have a whole month to do so while at the same time having some sort of MMR in place to keep new players/less experienced coupled together while the killers face other killers or veterans and so on.

Right now a lot of KL feels like a chore especially if a skin you want is on the seasonal challenge tier. It's like this dreadful cloud that hangs over you every day for ten days straight on where you have to take a break from running actual sets that are fun and experimental in casual to go do your KL shit and face wifi lords that make you feel like you're playing an entirely different game. After I do the 5 sets for the daily 10 day challenge I leave and go back to casual where I have fun with customs and face people that are also trying to learn new characters or practice stuff.

Maybe adding customs into KL would change a lot of the fun factor for me since it'd make me review my characters and try to configure set ups based on certain match-ups but we're all stuck with NRS assuming everyone wants to be a cringetard e-sp0rtz #Snickers #KornAlbum2020 player.

MKF30

Man the koth in mk 9 the presentation, avatars. I remember xbox got our own unique avatars, ps3 got the shitty generic few mk characters but the theatre mode in both with cheer options, f bombs, signs, throwing tomatoes, fist pumping, booing etc was the greatest koth mode ever to be in any fighting game. Why they didn't bring that back is beyond me. Now it's just boring and generic. Still better than kl though.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
KL is easily the best thing about MK11. All I have wanted from MK9 days is a awesome online scene and KL gives it to me. Even a year after release on the smallest player count platform you can jump on and get a game with zero problems, it has cool records, replays and even records rivalries with the nemesis system to create a feeling of community and get you to remember players. On top of that there is a ton of cool rewards to allow you to get a feeling of progression. I love getting cards and skins and using them as a mark of my time in the league. I'm so glad that NRS is not caving to the "I want it all crowd" and keeping the arcade feeling of trophies. Some people not getting the skins and cards is the entire point and that is what make it great.

The only thing that would be cooler would be if there was a official online tournament mode with brackets and grand finals.

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Hopped on for the first time after 6 seasons this past weekend and had a blast. Season just started so a ton of people at Apprentice level were pretty damn good. Alternatively you can just wait until end of the season and maph all the lower levels if ye wish to rank quickly. Much prefer going to War at the onset. The ranking down isnt even troublesome anymore. If you lose at lower ranks, you still get a smidge of a bump, and they extended the amount of time one can be inactivity before point decay.

Anybody on this forum like this game? What tf?

MKF30

Just want to say there was an mk scene in mk 9. It’s not like mk 11 created one. Mk 9 was the game to put mk back on the map big time not mk 11. Hell even the oldschool mks had scenes but they weren't as big as others.

But yeah KL sucks imo for many reasons.

Last edited:
More often than not I go into KL dreading it and just forcing myself to do it so that I can earn the rewards and (try) learn how to face KL players better. Some days it's great and I end up having great games, some days it's filled with soul crushing garbage and some days it's just kinda there with little to offer either way. It's a real mixed, bipolar bag that I wish had wifi filtering and better matchmaking.

Zviko

Noob
It's ranked and it works so I'm happy with it. Only thing that bothers me is that you can get matched with players on the same or even higher skill level that are at the time few ranks below you which means you can lose a lot and they lose nothing. So if the game knows we are on similar skill level, why it doesn't know I maybe shouldn't lose as many points then.

I'd prefer if it didn't reset after every season too. That with even more sub ranks would be better imo. I'd also like how Tekken does it, separately for every character. Oh, and wifi filter pls. 8/10.

MKF30

I get the ranked being enjoyable If you just care about cutthroat, tryhard competition but yeah the rewards for KL definitely are not worth the stress, effort or grind.

I don't see the point in hiding skins behind this mode when slot probably most won't get these skins for one and two the fact that as others mentioned you lose points is extremely stupid.

They need to offer these skins in some other way I just pray they never pull this shit again with hiding skins behind ranked real scumbag move if you ask me.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
As soon as you get to demigod i recommend you to stop, as the effort doubles and the reward is just shit.
To get out of this rank can be extremely frustrating.
You will get matched A LOT with ppl 2~3 ranks bellow you, and if you lose you will lose a lot of points, you will hardly find ppl on your rank, and the more you get frustrated by it, the more you will lose, its really bad.

Jynks

They need to offer these skins in some other way I just pray they never pull this shit again with hiding skins behind ranked real scumbag move if you ask me.
Absolutely not. Offering the skins another way would be total BS. It is awesome that there are unique skins based on what you do in game. This is by far one of the best things about KL. I hope NRS always has gated skins and gear, as a kind of achievement system.

MKF30

Absolutely not. Offering the skins another way would be total BS. It is awesome that there are unique skins based on what you do in game. This is by far one of the best things about KL. I hope NRS always has gated skins and gear, as a kind of achievement system.
Nah absolutely, this way is a dumb gimmicky way to force players to have to not only compete but win which is heavily flawed, sorry. But it’s a stupid idea and majority agree on this. The fact that they also did this after release is also a scummy thing to do, had I’d known they were going to do this prior to release I may not have not have bought the game. How Is it bs? No, to do it this way is bs because it’s full of bs toxic players, dumb cheaters, lag switchers, pullers, hatemail etc etc etc WiFi people were forced to play and can’t reject? Nope. There should no justifying this garbage, this is by far one of the worst things about kL. Nah just let me buy this shit because that way both thh consumer and developer benefit. I get the skins I want and they make profit. This way is one of the worst ideas If not the worst in mk history.

Jynks

what rubbish. It doesn't force anyone to play. What it does is as you play, yo ugain things. If you liek the game you play anyway. I just play tha game as it is awesome, and now and then I get something cool. What kind of loser thinks they they "deserve" every single thing in the game and that they have to get it instantly. It is pretty simple. You like a game, you play it. If they had no rewards, most people that like the game would play it just as much.. see Street Fighter Ranks and all that. NRS goes the extra mile to make it more awesome, as always.

MKF30

It’s not rubbish, it’s fact. They do force you to play because if you want those skins, guess what?you have to play kL....what it does is cause stress and bs I shouldn’t have to deal with that’s what it does when they could have easily put it under the gauntlet or tot etc or as I’ve mentioned for sale. How hard is that? But they chose the moronic route and that’s why the poll speaks for itself look at those zeros....kL is not fun. Nrs normally yes but this isn’t extra anything other than extra unnecessary bs I have to deal with that I shouldn’t have to. Also I have plenty of casual friends who play it like mk but can get those because they’re not that good, that’s fair to them who paid 60+ for the game?bullshit it is.

MKF30

How is wanting skins in single player greedy? NRS are the greedy bitches....why? Aftermath, nuff said lol thankfully they tend to listen to the fanbase, I've seen lots of hate on KL on their twitter. Can't imagine why. :D:coffee:

We'll see if they learn come I3

Last edited: