What's new

General/Other Instill Great Fear -- Sinestro General Discussion Thread

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Do you guys think Sinestro should always cancel jump ins with axe of terror? I find that it's almost always better, as you still get a combo off it and his jump ins are all negative on block if not canceled into axe of terror. When I don't cancel it, my opponents just mash buttons and beat out the next attack I throw out.

LEGEND

YES!
Do you guys think Sinestro should always cancel jump ins with axe of terror? I find that it's almost always better, as you still get a combo off it and his jump ins are all negative on block if not canceled into axe of terror. When I don't cancel it, my opponents just mash buttons and beat out the next attack I throw out.
idk about the other jump ins since they are all too slow and have shitty hitboxes but Ji1-Fear axe can be interrupted and punished at the height that actually grants frame advantage

right now it works, but it won't be a great option once everyone figures it out

and now... we have another dlc character that says fuck you sinestro. the amount of tools these dlc characters have puts out the box characters to shame. a character with all these tools and better zoning abilities than sin... jeses christ

she can run all day and burn one meter to instantly be able to attack u... and she has a vortex????

sinestro has a really hard time in high level play vs:
flash
batgirl
doomsday
aquaman
ds
frost
raven
grundy
scorp
manhunter

imo flash is the worst bc he can stand 3/4 of the screen away or closer and literally... literally punish every option sinestro has. if he is 1/2 screen or closer MB fear completely whiffs...

i really like sinestro and will run him at summer jam. as the game evolves he will be AE sim all over again. polarized with really good/bad matchups and the bad matchups are characters used a lot.

i love this character build but he just needs more to battle these characters that have incredibly utility and tools. :/ uggggggghhhhhhhhhh

on whiff no.. u will get whiff punished but flash charge or aquas trident et cetera

also, if u cancel when u air to air, opponent can sometimes be out of range for a down 2 or other follow up.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
PLAYING TO W1N
I really don't think the Flash matchup is that bad. You shouldn't be throwing as many fireballs against him; charge the trait when he gets close, which will either make him rush in or try to catch you with the torpedo move. Both versions of the torpedo are punishable. If he tries to get cute with his dash ins you need to start using F2D1 and air axe to make him respect the space. These principles also apply to batgirl. I have played Reno Racks alot in the past week and I don't feel that Sinestro is at a disadvantage.

Right now I feel like he has the most trouble with Aqua, Frost, and possibly Doomsday. I'd like to you know what your strategies are against DD.
AK Pig Of The Hut

PLAYING TO W1N
I really don't think the Flash matchup is that bad. You shouldn't be throwing as many fireballs against him; charge the trait when he gets close, which will either make him rush in or try to catch you with the torpedo move. Both versions of the torpedo are punishable. If he tries to get cute with his dash ins you need to start using F2D1 and air axe to make him respect the space. These principles also apply to batgirl. I have played Reno Racks alot in the past week and I don't feel that Sinestro is at a disadvantage.

Right now I feel like he has the most trouble with Aqua, Frost, and possibly Doomsday. I'd like to you know what your strategies are against DD.
AK Pig Of The Hut
Doomsday Trait... Burn it bye 112 mb fear, block d1 then d1 fear (if there mashing grab u eat it but trait is over)

Burn full doomsday trait with 112 mb fear, trait, d1 arachnid. Arach should hit after trait ends

U have to be able to block. Practice earthshake. Good doomsdays will do non mb supernova to get u to burn a meter on b3. So learn to dash under nova. If they are faking and doing non mb the u are in b1 range.

Try to zone him just out of normal venom range. B3 mb his mb venom.

Impact beats supernove on startup even off screen.

Its hard to say more than that. If he is full screen and traits up burn ur meter on fear delay mb. Keep him out.

LEGEND

YES!
PLAYING TO W1N

AK Pig Of The Hut
i agree with this, Aqua and frost are really the only Matches bad enough to counter pick for imo. I really don't think Flash or batgirl are Bad Mus, just MUs that you have to play very differently
-
i've also been playing vs Sonicboombrad alot lately and i don't think DD is worse than 4-6, if that. Burning meter to stop trait is where i think alot of people get it wrong, i instead just walk back and play safe, learning how to block his mix-ups and scout grabs goes a long way. Pushblock is a godsend sometimes

LEGEND

YES!
he just mb venoms in man!
thats when you MB B3 if he does it at range or pushblock after you block it. Of course you don't always have meter, but i've come to realize that burning meter on MB FB is not the most efficient use of meter in this mu, at full screen i'll still through out a FB or MB FB but most of the time past that range i'll be charging trait or walking back

warui_ne

Noob
@playing to win personally I find catwoman to be sinestros hardest match up because she can duck fear blast as easily as the flash but she has a reliabe way to punish it for heaps of damage.
This match up is bad for many reasons thats just one....

Ds can low shot under fear blast..... thats pretty bullshit also
Both match ups have me pulling my hair along with kf

thats when you MB B3 if he does it at range or pushblock after you block it. Of course you don't always have meter, but i've come to realize that burning meter on MB FB is not the most efficient use of meter in this mu, at full screen i'll still through out a FB or MB FB but most of the time past that range i'll be charging trait or walking back

im talking about doomsday in trait

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
@playing to win personally I find catwoman to be sinestros hardest match up because she can duck fear blast as easily as the flash but she has a reliabe way to punish it for heaps of damage.
This match up is bad for many reasons thats just one....

Ds can low shot under fear blast..... thats pretty bullshit also
Both match ups have me pulling my hair along with kf
CW is probably 6-4 sinestro
flash 5-5
KF 4-6
DS definitely 5-5

LEGEND

YES!
idk about the other jump ins since they are all too slow and have shitty hitboxes but Ji1-Fear axe can be interrupted and punished at the height that actually grants frame advantage

right now it works, but it won't be a great option once everyone figures it out
should have got back to this sooner

i am wrong about this. i made my post after playing my friends Aquaman and he hit me out of the Ji1-Axe more than a few times with his D2 (which is 7 frames) so i assumed that there was a gap there. But what actually happened was i wasn't canceling the Ji1 fast enough so there was a few extra frames in between

Ji1-Axe is a GREAT move

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer

i am wrong about this. i made my post after playing my friends Aquaman and he hit me out of the Ji1-Axe more than a few times with his D2 (which is 7 frames) so i assumed that there was a gap there. But what actually happened was i wasn't canceling the Ji1 fast enough so there was a few extra frames in between

Ji1-Axe is a GREAT move

Pinky is too OP...

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter

Ji1-Axe is a GREAT move
Ah! Thanks for the clarification

I've never played as sinestro and I play this dude who has a great sinestro, so how do I beat him with AM, BM and DS? I can block everything from full screen, but the second I try to get closer I get hit by something or get caught but a combo. Is there anything I can do against a good sinestro that has trait active or do I have to get him to use all 3 charges? He is one of those characters like batman that can make nearly everything safe with a trait charge and I can't see a way round it besides letting him do his blocked combos into trait setups.

I guess one tactic is to not let him charge trait, but I always get caught running in like an idiot.
Any help is appreciated, I want to give this dude a challenge.

LEGEND

YES!
I've never played as sinestro and I play this dude who has a great sinestro, so how do I beat him with AM, BM and DS? I can block everything from full screen, but the second I try to get closer I get hit by something or get caught but a combo. Is there anything I can do against a good sinestro that has trait active or do I have to get him to use all 3 charges? He is one of those characters like batman that can make nearly everything safe with a trait charge and I can't see a way round it besides letting him do his blocked combos into trait setups.

I guess one tactic is to not let him charge trait, but I always get caught running in like an idiot.
Any help is appreciated, I want to give this dude a challenge.
first step would be to make sure you know all of the punishes for the MU. Being able to punish Sinestro every time you block an Arachnid, B13, Shackles, Boulder ect is huge.

Patience is a big part in dealing with trait. You don't need to be dashing forward all the time to get in, and when sinestro is in your face with trait you either wait it out or take a risk in counter poking

Aquaman is your best pick out of those three

first step would be to make sure you know all of the punishes for the MU. Being able to punish Sinestro every time you block an Arachnid, B13, Shackles, Boulder ect is huge.

Patience is a big part in dealing with trait. You don't need to be dashing forward all the time to get in, and when sinestro is in your face with trait you either wait it out or take a risk in counter poking

Aquaman is your best pick out of those three
Thanks, guess I just have to practice punishing everything that is unsafe, but this dude is a master at not doing too many unsafe stuff when I am in range.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Update on DD: I have finally become comfortable in the MU. You have to make sure that you know your options after a blocked MB shoulder. You can MB B3 or jump over it at the right distance, but you have to show them that you know the options after it is blocked. The only thing guaranteed for DD after it is D1, which can be backdashed. All of his other options actually put him in a bad position. If he tries to throw, do a mid string or jump he will get blown up by Sin's standing 1 into combo. You can chip him when he has trait, but you need to have meter and trait. Your best option is just to block after he gets it and occasionally take some chip. Your best options for attacking while he is in trait are D1 and 2,2,3 (mixed in with 2,2, MB FB).

AK Pig Of The Hut LEGEND PLAYING TO W1N

Update on DD: I have finally become comfortable in the MU. You have to make sure that you know your options after a blocked MB shoulder. You can MB B3 or jump over it at the right distance, but you have to show them that you know the options after it is blocked. The only thing guaranteed for DD after it is D1, which can be backdashed. All of his other options actually put him in a bad position. If he tries to throw, do a mid string or jump he will get blown up by Sin's standing 1 into combo. You can chip him when he has trait, but you need to have meter and trait. Your best option is just to block after he gets it and occasionally take some chip. Your best options for attacking while he is in trait are D1 and 2,2,3 (mixed in with 2,2, MB FB).

AK Pig Of The Hut LEGEND PLAYING TO W1N

good stuff, like any matchup, find a good one and run a longgggggggg set. meter is your friend in this match

LEGEND

YES!
I have decided to join the yolo corps how do you guys pressure with sinestro
standing 3 into trait charge, hold if you are feeling ballsy/if want your opponent to react every time after lol. Cancel into a D2, B1, F2D13 backdash or MB B3

F2D13 (blocked) followed by D2 or 3-trait charge to catch movement (3 needs a slight step forward). Instant air axe to continue pressure options if you feel they will be complacent

after blocked air axes start with D1 since you won't have enough advantage to do anything else and still beat a D1 counter poke, you can hit confirm the D1 for a guaranteed B2 attempt. After you opponent respects the D1 you can go with your other pressure options

if you want to be safe with your B2s go with B21 and hit confirm it before inputting the final hit. Damage is a shitty 16% but it does get them away from you and is safe on block. If B21 is blocked walk back, if they try hitting you with a D1 then counter poke back with a D1 or standing 3-trait charge, if they poke too late though you can punish them with B13 (obviously, don't walk back if the opposing character has a quick low starter)

1B23 is +5 and leads into these same options as well but the first hit is a high so you won't really have a chance to use it

223 and 22-trait charge are usable options on occasion but aren't as good, really just used to confuse someone that isn't familiar with the string
-
generally, i use 3 trait charge any time im up close and feel like i can get away with it. Its extremely good

i've been wanting to get a video out of how i pressure. Sorry if any of this is hard to follow

this stuff is a necessity in the Aquaman MU

Gurimmjaw

Earthrealm
So I decided to pick up Sinestro as a 2nd and he a really fun character to use. I like the zoning types and hybrids.

From my understanding of Sinestro you mostly want to be zoning with Sinestro. So far using him I have a hard time against opponents who pressure me. I don't know what his options are when being pressured so I have a few questions for you Sinestro players.

Is his trait important in his gameplay? Is his trait used for combos or for something different? What are his options when being pressured? What are his unsafe moves? What is his best overhead? Is rushdown bad with Sinestro? Against characters like Scorpion and Ares seems hard to be zoning with Sinestro since these 2 characters have that anti-zone option.

When they get in close I use b13 to pressure but usually has no effect on them as they adapt immediately to his B13.