What's new

General/Other Instill Great Fear -- Sinestro General Discussion Thread

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Once you figure out the timing, it's actually not too hard. I try to hit it when I see the axe reach the end of it's swing.

warui_ne

Noob
Hi I'm new here but I just wanted to discuss the viability of using B21 for mix ups.
Sometimes what ive been doing is making them block the B2 and canceling it into DB2 for the overhead. How viable do you think this is?

Fromundaman

I write too much.
TBH, not offline. Maybe in lag you might not be able to react to it, but offline you have all day to switch your block then punish.

warui_ne

Noob
Yeah its just adding to your bag of gimmicks vs people who don't know the mu.
I use a lot of b213 and f2 anyway so Im always testing people with boulder and its safe with trait.

J

Joe Antonetti

Just asking for clarification - can Sinestro's D3 combo if you have trait?

ors0

Noob
Damn, why can all of these new characters control their projectiles and Sinestro is stuck with -43 and has no control of where it is on the screen? I really wish we can control the boulder to control space better and punish dashes.

J

Joe Antonetti

Damn, why can all of these new characters control their projectiles and Sinestro is stuck with -43 and has no control of where it is on the screen? I really wish we can control the boulder to control space better and punish dashes.
Really? I get the impression that Sinestro's zoning is still superior than all of the DLC characters. Both Zod and MMH have really slow projectiles. Zod has his pistol, but it only hits high, and his ground blast isn't that effective for serious zoning from what I've seen. MMH's pillar and projectile are slow, and neither break armor. Sinestro's zoning tools, while simpler than the others, are very effective and efficient to keep people out.

Mind you, I'm rather new and my opinions could be incorrect. However, the way I see it, Sinestro still has the best zoning in the game. Call me naive and stupid, but that's my opinion. If you know of why the others zone better, please elaborate.

ors0

Noob
I don't know. I love playing Sinestro and will always play him but I feel like boulder is almost useless against anyone who has experience against Sinestro. The only time I feel save using it is when i have trait. Otherwise, the player will just react to the sound or slow startup by dashing forward and punishing -- especially Superman.

Don't get me wrong -- I know that it's great for punishing the air interactables but I feel like it has no use in Sinestro's neutral game. You might have a chance to land one by frustrating your opponent with fear blasts but that doesn't happen to often.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Boulder is good against jumps, but yeah, generally speaking it's mediocre at best. Fear blast and Shackles are where it's at.

That being said I admit Sinestro does feel rather limited. IDK, he just feels like too linear of a character to me atm; maybe that's because I'm not good enough, but I really feel that I can't help but be predictable with him.

warui_ne

Noob
Boulder is suicide vs deathstroke also.
He can punish it anywhere on screen and in a projectile/chip war every little bit of health counts.

I find mb fear blast to be his best zoning option ill usually burn a few of those in a row just for the chip damage

Yeah sinestro does feel very limited. Hes got mediocre frames because trait is supposed to aleviate that so its an intended weakness and free up his offense. Unfortunately there is really nothing stoping them from just holding B. I find that vs a traited sinestro the best thing to do is NOTHING. He can rush you down but he will have to either back off or spend trait to keep the pressure on. Theres no real reason for them not to block outside of mb fear blast chip damage. Theres no real way to punish them for turtling. A lot of my damage is from whiff punishes because I can out footsie most people. But even that damage isnt even as high as say.... Black adam... or even my other main raven....

RIF

Noob
He is very limited. You're exactly right that trait can be easily negated. A ton of people will just sit there and do nothing. You have to start throwing to help combat this. Fear blast whiffing on a large number of opponents really hurts his ability to zone people out. Boulder is way too punishable given its limited usefulness. His damage is below average. Most of pokes have lousy priority. Losing trait during clash, transition, or super is ridiculous.

AND they keep adding characters that counter him pretty hard. MMH is just another one on the list.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
I don't know. I love playing Sinestro and will always play him but I feel like boulder is almost useless against anyone who has experience against Sinestro. The only time I feel save using it is when i have trait. Otherwise, the player will just react to the sound or slow startup by dashing forward and punishing -- especially Superman.

Don't get me wrong -- I know that it's great for punishing the air interactables but I feel like it has no use in Sinestro's neutral game. You might have a chance to land one by frustrating your opponent with fear blasts but that doesn't happen to often.
Boulder is used in pretty specific situations. It is good against Superman because it shuts down his zoning game. If he trys to air dash, you just need to delay it to catch him when he stops moving. It is also nice to use for chip and when you have trait so that you can make it safe.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Sinestro would be an infinitely better character if he didn't have to waste time in the middle of a match, sitting stationary like an asshole, charging his trait. While he's not the only character who has to do this, it seems like he's the only character who has to do this who also RELIES HEAVILY on his trait to be competitive. Take Frost, as an example. She has to charge her trait up in a stationary, vulnerable position, as well. HOWEVER, she doesn't really fucking need it, because she has safe, abusable shit without it. So, Frost players don't even really use it. Imagine how much more competitive Sinestro would be if his trait could be activated with the single push of a button (like the traits of the vast majority of the rest of the cast), even if it meant a ridiculously long cooldown time?