What's new

Injustice is Hold Back to "Block"

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
It's basically every style except for MK. I'm with MK Peanuts... if you all really only play games with a block button, you've missed out on a LOT of fun over the past 20 years!

You should really expand your mind and give these other games a serious shot. I gave MK a shot by playing a game WITH a block button, and what do you know... it's an incredible game I would've otherwise missed out on!
Well I played SF4, Tekken, Virtua Fighter and really hated the holding back style but that's just me.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
That's why I also said "I think you could've made some minor changes" when I mentioned making back to block. They'd probably want to change the way some of those moves, particularly maybe Smoke's EX, worked. Honestly though, you wouldn't even absolutely need to. Everything you mentioned except Smoke's EX teleport would be a breeze to block by holding back. None of those moves have a particularly fast startup.

If you've ever seen high-level MVC3, you see those players running insane setups and mixups - simultaneous high/low and front/back - at ridiculous speeds, and they're still able to be blocked.
and that is why mash happy is such a random game, its almost impossible to block some fucked up set ups.

aj1701

Noob
I'm talking about TYM as a whole, since most people here play Mortal Kombat and many from what I see don't seem to branch out much
Probably true. I don't. I don't like SF visually, nor do I like how it plays. I never cared for the 3D MKs either, so that doesn't leave a lot of others.

I may give the next DOA a go; I like it visually, the eye candy doesn't hurt, but I have no idea how it plays.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I'm retiring from this thread, but Jerry's Final Thought here...

Holding back is not a "Capcom style" of blocking, as everyone keeps mentioning. It's pretty much been used in every non-MK fighting game over the past 20 years. It allows for interesting, depth-adding mechanics like crossups and tighter footsies. It is not evil.

NRS made an incredible game with MK9. The idea that everyone would instantly dismiss their follow-up - a game they've already said is designed with Evo-level play and good online in mind from the start - just because you hold back to block is honestly ridiculous.

If anything, I can imagine that this little change will encourage more serious players of other fighting games to give this a shot. Growing this community and the level of play is a good thing, and then maaaybe when MK10 comes along, more players will show real interest in it since they're now into NRS's games! Can you imagine if MK9 was pulling MVC3 numbers?

Don't be so closed minded, people. Imagine if I missed out on 3S because I didn't want to push forward to parry, Skullgirls because I didn't like pushing LK+MP to assist, or MK9 because I didnt want to push a block button. I'd have missed out on some epic fucking games.

I'd just hate to see the great players - and, having met a ton of you, great people in general! - of this community missing out of a lot of potential fun.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
and that is why mash happy is such a random game, its almost impossible to block some fucked up set ups.
Heh, its true, some setups are insanity. But SF4, SF2, SkullGirls, and a million other 2D games all have crossups and such, and they are consistent, deep, tournament-worthy games.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Heh, its true, some setups are insanity. But SF4, SF2, SkullGirls, and a million other 2D games all have crossups and such, and they are consistent, deep, tournament-worthy games.
Nrs doesn't know how to do reversals, auto-correct and cross up defense in general, ill pick it up day one but just hope it doesn't turn into another crazy random, gimmicky, scruby, mash happy, xfactor shitty game.

Flagg

Noob
I've played every fighter from MK2,UMK3,SSf2,KI1,Ki2,KOFs,Bloody Roar,Tekken,Soul Calibur whatever holding back is not a problem for me but remember that nrs has never done a game without the block button so they may not be aware of how hard its to block a cross up properly... imagine mk9 without a block button all those mix ups. jump in punch cross over, jip grab, jip low starter. jip high, jip block string, jip cross up low starter, etc. I just think its gonna be too much
Apart from throwing, you can do all that from a jip in this game now, plus d1 can save you from cross over jip's. If holding back to block is going to that big a problem then people will fail hard at this game. God forbid they put anything like 360 motions, or having to charge a move rather than simply going back forward straight away.

Like I said, holding back isnt a problem for me at all....its all the other gimmicky stuff. I fear stuff like that will hide what could be a mediocre game. I could be wrong, but using a car in a attack just seems lame to me. Superman punching you into orbit..okay that will be cool the first couple of times. After the 100th Superman player has done that to you, you will be utterly sick to death of seeing that.

You close minded people that just spout 'No buy, this izn't SF, NRS sux' are no better than SRK retards that shit on MK9 in the comments 'MK sux, takes no skill' on just silly assumptions and little knowledge.

Guess everyone's true colors shows, haha. Thought at least people would be intelligent about judging it, especially when this community gets the most unreasoning BS.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Kind of glanced over the last several pages and have come to one of these conclusion:

1. Most of the people complaining have MK as their first competitive fighter
2. Most of the people complaining have sucked at every other fighter
See me on Killer Instinct, I will destroy you.

Espio

Kokomo
I just really want to see/play the game, it looks really fun.

We all don't agree and that's fine, but let's not be so angry about a game, we're all here for the same reason people:).

FortaySeven

I don't care
Wow, this really killed the game for me as well. I have never been good at holding back to block and have accepted that I will never be good at it a long time ago. /sigh