Guide "I Love My Job" -- Deathstroke General Discussion Thread

Vagrant

Noob
d1 mbspin dash flip

Learn it
Use it
Love it

His down 1 catches so many dash ins.
You can also dash in and d1 after you've conditioned your opponent to respect jump ins/f3/guns
Slips and i were talking about this yesterday and at first I didnt really see why he loved it so much. Then tried it out last night.
Theres virtually no consequense for throwing d1 out and while it may not be the best damager. It still starts your oki if you connect with it and it stuffs ALLLOOOOTTTT of stuff.

Add it to your game plans. (The execution is tricky with the dash flip... If your going to use this though you CANT be dropping it so hit the lab and get your muscle memory down)

Crathen

Death is my business
Just dropping by to say that DS has the best forward and back jump animation / hurtbox / startup , gets away from frametraps that other can't do and you can even punish certain whiffed strings / normals. I've already shown in the WW - DS video some of it but it's very applicable to many matchups.

Many times it's better to backjump / forward jump frametraps instead of backdashing them.

Another tip i can say about it's in the MMH matchup you don't ever need to MB b3 in order to punish overhead teleports , you can easily jump forward on reaction and punish with j3 into BnB.

Matix218

Get over here!
Guys,

Does anyone use J2 anymore (outside of combos I mean).

I have found that as far as DS jumping attacks go, J3 (huge hitbox) and J1 (fastest jump attack, great for air to airs, even trades with batman j2 at certain ranges) are the best jumping attack options. I very rarely if ever use a J2 anymore outside of combos. When I first started playing DS I used J2 a lot but it has since been replaced by J1 almost exclusively. Is J2 still your best option in any specific situations? I just want to make sure I am utilizing all of my tools to their fullest.

also Ksmoke good games the other night. What do you think of the Deathstroke vs Zatanna matchup? I am thinking it is probably slightly in Deathstrokes favor? (online definately, offline I honestly dont know). Just curious on your thoughts after playing a bunch of matches against DS the other night lol.

-Matix

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Guys,

I have found that as far as DS jumping attacks go, J3 (huge hitbox) and J1 (fastest jump attack, great for air to airs, even trades with batman j2 at certain ranges) are the best jumping attack options. I very rarely if ever use a J2 anymore outside of combos. When I first started playing DS I used J2 a lot but it has since been replaced by J1 almost exclusively. Is J2 still your best option in any specific situations? I just want to make sure I am utilizing all of my tools to their fullest.

also Ksmoke good games the other night. What do you think of the Deathstroke vs Zatanna matchup? I am thinking it is probably slightly in Deathstrokes favor? (online definately, offline I honestly dont know). Just curious on your thoughts after playing a bunch of matches against DS the other night lol.

-Matix

J2 gives the most blockstun and has a lot of horizontal range. Since it gives so much blockstun, you get a free B1 or B2 mixup on block. On top of that, it gives you more damaging combos (typically speaking) than either J1 or J3..I made a whole thread comparing the blockstuns of all 3 moves, check it out if you wanna.

Vagrant

Noob
Guys,

-Matix

The range on it is deceptive.

after a combo alot of the times ill dash and jump in and hit 2 late. The opponents expect ji3 or ji1 or maybe even an empty jump usually, and think they're out of range so they don't block. Then i hit 2 and they eat a combo.

The cancel advantage on it is good too. Which is weird cause it doesn't "feel" like it has much cancel advantage.

Don't sleep on ji2

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Long story short: the only moves that shouldn't be in regular rotation are b1d3 and up machine gun. Everything else you should know and love, except maybe sweep - but that has its occasional uses too.

LordChozo

Mainless Wanderer
Another tip i can say about it's in the MMH matchup you don't ever need to MB b3 in order to punish overhead teleports , you can easily jump forward on reaction and punish with j3 into BnB.
Can you jump forward on reaction upon seeing the overhead entering the screen? Or do you just mean on reaction to seeing the teleport's startup? Because if it's the latter, the mid teleport will catch you for a full combo if you try to forward jump it, whereas mb b3 will punish either. If you have time to block for the mid then forward jump when you see the overhead without it catching you though, then agreed.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Hmm...guys, how viable is sweep? Look at how it lowers the hell out of DS's hitbox, comes out fairly fast, longer reach than D1, and gives a free XJ3 on hit. I haven't experimented much,because I mostly theory fight until the game is fixed and doesn't crash 24/7 on me, but the few times I've accidently used it, gave me wonders. I'm thinking of implementing it in my actual game. Maybe have them respect it from max range so I can get in with jumping or F3 shenanigans.

LordChozo

Mainless Wanderer
Hmm...guys, how viable is sweep? Look at how it lowers the hell out of DS's hitbox, comes out fairly fast, longer reach than D1, and gives a free XJ3 on hit. I haven't experimented much,because I mostly theory fight until the game is fixed and doesn't crash 24/7 on me, but the few times I've accidently used it, gave me wonders. I'm thinking of implementing it in my actual game. Maybe have them respect it from max range so I can get in with jumping or F3 shenanigans.
I beat a really bad player doing nothing but sweep all day earlier this week. It was shades of MK1 all over again. It took 70% worth of sweep damage before he figured out he should block low, so I did a ji2, sweep and started the chain up again. One of the more hilarious matches I've ever had.

That said I do in legitimate matches like to use it from time to time as a mid-ranged poke.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Reason why I want to implement it is because I have currently a dead zone which is Max F3 range. From that range it's quite obvious that all I have is F3. All they have to do is hold back and I just have to wait 'til they space themselves out. Becuase I dash, I get raped; I jump, I get raped; Gunshots shouldn't even cross my mind at that point; I can't YOLO flip until they start approaching again. I seriously have nothing in this range but F3. And since it's 23f who's going to get hit by that if I have no other mix-up?

With Sweep, I'll atleast have a decent mix-up to give them a reason to consider blocking low. THEN I'll be able to F3 and J3.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Sweep is just outclassed by D1 and B1. If you want damage and a HKD, B1 is your man. If you need a low poke, D1 is faster and completely safe on block. I don't particularly like sweeps in this game unless you're Joker or Lex.

With all that being said, I still use the sweep sometimes, and I have no ****ing clue why.

Ksmoke

skarlet is back!!

-Matix
Ggs .It was rough for me but I suck against deathstroke lol. Teleport saves her and kills her to me cause sometimes I would catch u shooting then other times u baited it and I got punished. I think Teleport makes deathstroke think before just shooting. But when deathstroke starts reading Teleports it makes it hard for zatanna cause he so much faster and rings are to slow he can shoot on reaction i dont know about puppet master but its slow to. Ur the first deathstroke ive fought that didn't try and keep me out. I think if deathstroke rushes z down and shoot her for trying to teleport away might cause her problems but idk. im still learning and suck against him period. My batgirl still has problems against him. I react to rifle with a teleport then he mb and i get hit wit the bomb! Fuck!

Matix218

Get over here!
Ggs .It was rough for me but I suck against deathstroke lol. Teleport saves her and kills her to me cause sometimes I would catch u shooting then other times u baited it and I got punished. I think Teleport makes deathstroke think before just shooting. But when deathstroke starts reading Teleports it makes it hard for zatanna cause he so much faster and rings are to slow he can shoot on reaction i dont know about puppet master but its slow to. Ur the first deathstroke ive fought that didn't try and keep me out. I think if deathstroke rushes z down and shoot her for trying to teleport away might cause her problems but idk. im still learning and suck against him period. My batgirl still has problems against him. I react to rifle with a teleport then he mb and i get hit wit the bomb! Fuck!
Yeah what you said regarding how DS cant just shoot mindlessly in that matchup is very true. You probably baited my shots and caught me with teleport just as many times as I baited your teleport though lol. Also I noticed that at max sword flip range DS has a good option select vs teleporting characters that end up behind you (Zatanna, Scorp, Raven, etc). If you see teleport start-up you can instantly input sword flip which is df3. This way if the teleport has already gotten them to the other side of you it will change your input to db3 which is sword spin (which punishes them) and if they have not gotten to the other side of you yet you will just sword flip and be away from them. I never like to shoot guns like crazy from full screen vs teleporting characters, I prefer to just literally stand there and play reactionary to them. I think zatanna is a character that DS does not have to be afraid to rush down if she gets the life lead. The worst thing for Zatanna in that match is if the DS gets the early life lead because it becomes much more likely that you will get to bait a teleport because they will be desperate to get in and make up the health deficit.

Regarding Batgirl that is a match I have played a few times offline and I think it is fairly even. Obviously you cant be wild with guns against her because she has the teleport but I dont mind rushing down in that matchup. Her zoning is not very difficult to work your way in on if you are patient, and more often than not after you land a gunshot you can bait a teleport which you can punish with 132 into full combo. Just like any other character that plays against batgirl she only needs to catch you in bolos one time to get you into her vortex which can often times lead to massive damage depending on how you guess on her hi-low mixup. It may actually be slightly in her favor IMO (probably at worst 6-4) and I only say that because it only takes her punishing your guns with teleport one time for her to set up her vortex and at that point you are in her world and as far as I know her vortex seems safe for her on block so the risk/reward of her vortex is highly in her favor.

Good games man, def have to play again soon. I also play GL (he was my original main, a bit rusty with him but I will bring him out next time we play for some variety and matchup experience).

-Matix

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
At least look at it this way guys. She can't reaction teleport to guns as easily as most other characters. Guns have incredible missile speed. Imagine how bad Cyborg players feel.

Now that bola needs some tweaking though. She's positive, so you can't punish or dash after blocking one. You can jump it, but she can DELAY it so that she catches you after the jump. And you know what she gets when it lands? Free teleport gg >_>

LordChozo

Mainless Wanderer
Yeah, I can check her with occasional low guns and I almost always get the free chip. Half the time it baits out a follow-up smoke bomb from the Batgirl as if they go "Oh, NOW he's going to spam." Then I get a nice punish. But patient Batgirls don't fall for that nonsense.

What upsets me the most about bolas is that even if you trade, you lose. I can put a couple bullets in her as the bola is coming, and she has time after the hitstun to still hit a MB smoke bomb and full combo me. That's just rude.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Yeah, I can check her with occasional low guns and I almost always get the free chip. Half the time it baits out a follow-up smoke bomb from the Batgirl as if they go "Oh, NOW he's going to spam." Then I get a nice punish. But patient Batgirls don't fall for that nonsense.

What upsets me the most about bolas is that even if you trade, you lose. I can put a couple bullets in her as the bola is coming, and she has time after the hitstun to still hit a MB smoke bomb and full combo me. That's just rude.

Exactly. The only way you can stop it is if you react extremely quickly to it (like you see it coming) and QF her. But attempting that all the time is gonna get you telepunished eventually.

G4S Silent Jay

I enjoy hurting you.
I've only played against a Batgirl once... It was KDZ's....

I did not fair so well... I honestly just don't have much of an idea of how to approach this MU...

Can't exactly try to zone her because reads blow you up and trades are in her favor. Her mix-ups seem to just be plain better and lead into vortex... Which since it's a standing vortex unlike our's we DO have to guess and I'm pretty sure she outdamages us.

Now, I know I'm only really seeing the negatives here, but I just don't know the positives that would allow me to really approach this MU.