What's new

Green Lantern video

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
That's a pretty poor assessment. Let's think back to IGAU Lantern: what were his main issues? His strengths?

+Very strong midrange, probably one of the best pure midrange games due to the power of B1, Lift, and D2
+Great mixup on knockdown with Trait Lift, leading to crossup f3 or B1
+Good launching wakeup attack

-Couldn't move very well
-Couldn't force any pressure full screen
-Brutally unsafe

So, as far as we know, most of positives are still there; jury's out on to what his wakeup attack is, but my guess is it's the Brick Wall. If so, that goes in line with the rest of the cast and is a universal nerf. His f3 also looks noticeably slower, but again, universal nerf.

As far as the negatives, look at what we have so far. His dash is massively improved, and the startup on his walk animation is greatly reduced, which means he is going to be a bit faster. With the low buzzsaw and the exploding lantern attack, which knocks down on hit, he now has an answer to hard zoning where he had none before. These moves will both hit a crouching opponent, and the lantern will cause a knockdown, which is a huge advantage even if he were to trade projectiles. Let's not forget Brick Wall, which appears that it might absorb projectiles coming in and provide similar cover to Cold's Ice Wall when MB'd.

Jury's out on safety as well, but there's a good chance at least one of those new specials is probably at least safe with pushback or on MB.

Overall, minigun, turbine, and missiles were either a) blockstring filler (No one was keeping out with minigun) or highly highly specific tools that did little to help his actual problems. Just the potential of these new moves should be pretty exciting since they seem to be targeting exactly what he struggled with in the previous meta.

Last edited:

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
That's a pretty poor assessment. Let's think back to IGAU Lantern: what were his main issues? His strengths?

+Very strong midrange, probably one of the best pure midrange games due to the power of B1, Lift, and D2
+Great mixup on knockdown with Trait Lift, leading to crossup f3 or B1
+Good launching wakeup attack

-Couldn't move very well
-Couldn't force any pressure full screen
-Brutally unsafe

So, as far as we know, most of positives are still there; jury's out on to what his wakeup attack is, but my guess is it's the Brick Wall. If so, that goes in line with the rest of the cast and is a universal nerf. His f3 also looks noticeably slower, but again, universal nerf.

As far as the negatives, look at what we have so far. His dash is massively improved, and the startup on his walk animation is greatly reduced, which means he is going to be a bit faster. With the low buzzsaw and the exploding lantern attack, which knocks down on hit, he now has an answer to hard zoning where he had none before. These moves will both hit a crouching opponent, and the lantern will cause a knockdown, which is a huge advantage even if he were to trade projectiles. Let's not forget Brick Wall, which appears that it might absorb projectiles coming in and provide similar cover to Cold's Ice Wall when MB'd.

Jury's out on safety as well, but there's a good chance at least one of those new specials is probably at least safe with pushback or on MB.

Overall, minigun, turbine, and missiles were either a) blockstring filler (No one was keeping out with minigun) or highly highly specific tools that did little to help his actual problems. Just the potential of these new moves should be pretty exciting since they seem to be targeting exactly what he struggled with in the previous meta.
he lost minigun which hurts his midrange game a lot, his mid range zoning was great if you could instant air rocket but hardly anyone used it, two big nerfs. heb didnt have a good wakeup lift was not good as a wakeup. and his d2 was always trash.
his pressure game has been completely removed. looks like they tried to address his inability to deal with good zoning which is great but then they got rid of turbine soooo another nerf. not just for getting in but because it was used for his setups

the point is he was a lower mid tier character why did he get any nerfs?? im not saying hes trash i havent played him yet but they changed his playstyle (for me at least) and took away some of his best tools

xX_Atrocitus_Xx

Blood & Rage
he lost minigun which hurts his midrange game a lot, his mid range zoning was great if you could instant air rocket but hardly anyone used it, two big nerfs. heb didnt have a good wakeup lift was not good as a wakeup. and his d2 was always trash.
his pressure game has been completely removed. looks like they tried to address his inability to deal with good zoning which is great but then they got rid of turbine soooo another nerf. not just for getting in but because it was used for his setups

the point is he was a lower mid tier character why did he get any nerfs?? im not saying hes trash i havent played him yet but they changed his playstyle (for me at least) and took away some of his best tools

He has turbine tho and Oa rocket....

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
My guess is if you want his old stuff back, you'll need gear for that similar to getting Bane's old Command Grab back.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker

I would love to have seen the use that Minigun had over B1 at midrange, but I'm not entirely sure people were so keen on using it when dashes were so fast and it had quite the startup. The pushback on block was nice for blockstrings, but I imagine it would be so much more preferable to have a move that could be placed ambiguously and hit someone at full screen.

Air rocket was a nice move, especially in trait, so I could see why the loss of that would suck. At least he can still change air trajectory.

He had an invulnerable wakeup that could confirm into a launch. It could only be better if it was safe and multi-hitting. Sadly, more than a few of the top tier had this, so while it could come across as inferior, it really wasn't, and it's foolish to say otherwise when there were just as may characters that could not wake up. D2 hitting right above his head where Lift didn't was a boon to his AA game.

Why would his pressure game be gone? The whole threat of GL's pressure was once inside B1 range you essentially had to hold down or jump because B1 was too quick to walk out of or counter-hit it. So he lost the ability to go into Minigun on block and he can't cancel to Turbine on a hard knockdown; how has that erased the fundamental strength of just having B1 and Lift to control the midrange?

Saying he got nerfed is looking at the context of a different game with different moves that interacted against different characters. Change your perspective.

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Yeah. It just sucks to take the ability slots out of competitive mode. It wouldn't be such a nerf if that was the case.
Its a bummer :/ I was really excited to main him again but im not sure now. He is starting to look like one of those characters where you play him because you like him, but other chars in the game does what he does way better. I personally don't care about rockets being replaced by MMH like Lantern Bombs cuz those look hype af and im excited for them! Removing his Minigun and Turbine (I need mah Turbine setups) kinda hurt.

The only thing having me hype about GL is his increased space control with his new Lantern Bombs (Proud member of the zoning academy), and the fact that imma make my Hal Jordan the second ever Orange Lantern cuz fuck it why not! He did it in the Animated Series lol.

xX_Atrocitus_Xx

Blood & Rage
I would love to have seen the use that Minigun had over B1 at midrange, but I'm not entirely sure people were so keen on using it when dashes were so fast and it had quite the startup. The pushback on block was nice for blockstrings, but I imagine it would be so much more preferable to have a move that could be placed ambiguously and hit someone at full screen.

Air rocket was a nice move, especially in trait, so I could see why the loss of that would suck. At least he can still change air trajectory.

He had an invulnerable wakeup that could confirm into a launch. It could only be better if it was safe and multi-hitting. Sadly, more than a few of the top tier had this, so while it could come across as inferior, it really wasn't, and it's foolish to say otherwise when there were just as may characters that could not wake up. D2 hitting right above his head where Lift didn't was a boon to his AA game.

Why would his pressure game be gone? The whole threat of GL's pressure was once inside B1 range you essentially had to hold down or jump because B1 was too quick to walk out of or counter-hit it. So he lost the ability to go into Minigun on block and he can't cancel to Turbine on a hard knockdown; how has that erased the fundamental strength of just having B1 and Lift to control the midrange?

Saying he got nerfed is looking at the context of a different game with different moves that interacted against different characters. Change your perspective.

I just did a round with GL in IGAU and you're right creating pressure and my punish felt fine and natural I didn't use turbine or Oa rocket the only thing is Lantern needs more damage. We don't know the new damage values but it would be nice if the scaling didn't hit a brick wall for him. If memory serves they patched out how his damage scaled In particular.

JDM

Noob
Wait a minute. I saw that purple lantern video and he still had Oa's rocket. I'm pretty sure that's part of his base moveset.

Minigun seems to be gone though.

If Oa's rocket is not in his basic moveset I'm most likely dropping him. What the fuck.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
You guys really need to chill and look at the context of these changes. Every single returning character has been given the same normalization treatment, even Green Arrow and Cyborg lol. This is a different game, this isnt I1 anymore. GLs new design is cool

SWonder916

When's DragonBall?
I want those Turbine set ups. At least the F3 cross up seems to still be there but we'll see. The tech will come from all over once the game drops

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
He was just talking about it on the stream. I cant get a link to that right now but you its like a 5.5 hour vid on his twitch.

Basically:

-Lift and trait back
- Straight shot kinda back, meterburn is a beam that knocks down though instead of delayed pop up. Air version might be gear, cant remember.
- Lantern orbs replace missles, mb pop up
- Wall replaces turbine
- Low ball roll replaces mini gun

Vid that shows them all of here:

Am I the only one who noticed that Batman's special worked as a transition? Wtf

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
So, lost most of the old moves to gear. However we've got some better movement,
f3's slower I think
the new fireball seems not bad, beam looks good ala firestorm mb
the bombs have me wondering about setup potential
I like the low boulder potential
Wall is apparently a good wakeup and MB to make it plus

xX_Atrocitus_Xx

Blood & Rage
Not in the mood to be nice

Read part of this thread

Listen UP

If you watched GL today and thought he was bad then my people you indeed have shit for brains in terms of FG knowledge and acumen

He's way stronger and weaknesses addressed well
You going to put some time in on him? Doing a write up or two perhaps? ...please.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
I agree GL looks great. Wall wakeup swapped out with lift and no braindead minigun. Removing yolo wakeup lift and safe minigun and giving him more effective specials will really open up his gameplay. They're taking the same approach with GL as they have every other returning character from igau.

Just need to unlock those yellow constructs and power battery and finally my will to impose fear will be satiated.

*curls mustache*

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
Green Lantern looks nuts, super excited to try him. Wonder if Trait Lantern's Might is still HKD, if so he will still have one of his best mixups.