What's new

Gorilla Grodd General Discussion Thread

Belial

Noob
THEY MURDERED HIM. They basically removed the only good thing he had - his pressure.

Bye bye NRS. Good luck finding another top player willing to pick this piece of shit up.

And making execution easier is a spit in the face to all people who worked so hard all this time. I have no words to describe what I feel. Its all your hard work and effort past 6 months flushed down the drain

Skedar70

Noob
THEY MURDERED HIM. They basically removed the only good thing he had - his pressure.

Bye bye NRS. Good luck finding another top player willing to pick this piece of shit up.

And making execution easier is a spit in the face to all people who worked so hard all this time. I have no words to describe what I feel. Its all your hard work and effort past 6 months flushed down the drain
No top players ever picked him aside from coach steve (who dropped him early) at the beginning of the game, so nothing new here. His pressure is still there 112 is still plus and so is b1. B2 and 22 are neutral and that is fine. They removed the actual thing that made him lowest of tiers and made every mu a bad mu which was that he had no safe buttons in the neutral now he can use his 22 string.

Belial

Noob
I am a top player and I actually placed at majors even though Im new to NRS scene. I think I was even ranked 17th at IPS ratings lol.

Nvm I had great results vs some of the best players in the world on Grodd

And u simply have no idea what ur talking about and Im too salty to argue with u right now. No good player will touch Grodd now. In fact, every single decent player left is dropping him as we speak.

Skedar70

Noob
I am a top player and I actually placed at majors even though Im new to NRS scene. I think I was even ranked 17th at IPS ratings lol.

Nvm I had great results vs some of the best players in the world on Grodd

And u simply have no idea what ur talking about and Im too salty to argue with u right now. No good player will touch Grodd now. In fact, every single decent player left is dropping him as we speak.
Oh you are a self proclaimed top player hahaha that is funny, I'm a top player also I placed on several top 8 on hometown heroes I was ranked like 13 on my region and won every local tournament in my region just didn't know I was a top player because of it. Lol Good to know.

Skedar70

Noob
Nothing you are free to do as you wish. There are plenty of characters you can pick to keep winning all those tournaments. Good luck.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes

They removed his pressure by making him objectively better?

I personally don't know how to feel about this patch, the mind control buff and no gap in 22 are nice but nerfing b2 means no b2 sc vortex or good plus frames since 112 is honestly shit also aquaman being buffed is not good for us at all as for the cancels being easier i was never as good as goonie and those guys but i was solid at them it just doesn't i guess feel as good being good at them but for the time being we'll have to wait and see how things pan out

Wigy

There it is...
so aside from the easier execution whats new?

I am actually finding all of his cancels except 22 less consistent now?

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
Someone help me out here. I'm new to Grodd, and I understand the frustration yall must have regarding the easier SC cancels. However, is the b2 nerf really such a big deal compared to a safe 223, gapless 22, and a big buff to telekinetic grab?

Also, after an adjustment period, wouldn't the easier cancels make it more viable to go for them in a real match?

Belial

Noob
Someone help me out here. I'm new to Grodd, and I understand the frustration yall must have regarding the easier SC cancels. However, is the b2 nerf really such a big deal compared to a safe 223, gapless 22, and a big buff to telekinetic grab?

Also, after an adjustment period, wouldn't the easier cancels make it more viable to go for them in a real match?
Okay I'll give a detailed answer, since Im sure a lot of people are interested in it

So what we know so far and considering that all the changes there are
1) b2~SC is now 0 on block
- This is a huge nerf b/c thats the only realistic button that kept enemy afraid. Not many Grodd players really utilized that so far, but they should have. Think about it as poor man JC knee. And now its not even plus.
- b2 was his primary okizeme tool post stampede and throw. Meaty b2 stopped a lot of stuff and was barely minus on opponent staying on the ground. Unlike all other buttons it wasnt possible to punish this on wakup and nobody wanted to block , speaking of which
- b2 on block used to be +4 which lead to uninterruptible throw / 22 mixup (some characters couldnt evade 22 by backdashing here, some could though). Needless to say that having uninterruptible throw setup was one of the main ways to open up people. Consider Black Adam orb cancels being 0 on block. Thats very close in relation, except much harder to set up in the frist place (so then question comes - why black adam get to set up throws at +20 from half screen and Grodd cant keep his +4)
- b2 +4 let you loop pressure in a b2 SC into 22SC or another b2 etc etc. A lot of options your opponent had to keep in mind that didnt have a solid response. You cant press after b2 but you can after 22 (RR isnt great for grodd there anyway). Now your opponent have much easier time countering pressure b/c its basically "do i d1 or do I block/backdash" after every cancel.

TL:DR: his Okizeme game suffered the most. His pressure game suffered significantly.

2) 22 losing gap
it is a very small buff that will help few matchups in theory
- Nobody took advatage of 22 gap up to date and the gap actually allowed you to set up mindgames. For example i had to practice timing OS so 22~stampede come out on hit and 22~SC on block. that took a lot of time and allowed me to crush armor if someone tries to mb b3 into the gap. People trying to interrupt the gap could lose 50% from 2~b3cancel(bbMB)
- Some characters had some invulnerable moves that countered 22 like Catwoman d2 and flash d2. Those were easy to stuff with 2~SC into block into full punish. Aslo Grodd could full combo punish interrupts by 2~float 1

TL:DR this buff is not relevant at this stage of the game and actually removes mindgames at higher levels of the game. Thats not how you buff characters, by removing deep mindgames.

3) 223 safe
- this string is useless and its only purpose before was to punish many character trying to backdash through 2>2 gap. AND it was OS with 22~SC (baically if they BD after 2nd hit and you hitconfim 2 blocked you press SC but 223 comes out) With Gap removed I dont see any puprose for this move other than ending combos (and thats a shitty ender).

TL:DR this "buff" doesnt make sense and doesnt affect anything

4) Faster MC
- MC is one of the furthest reaching specials grodd has. As such it may help you in some matchups to wiffpunish or blockpunish (ex you can actually punish Aquaman FtD now, though no fullcombo due to trait lol)
https://twitter.com/BelialRus/status/955149032330027009

- d1~MC could help in some matchups IN THEORY (for example you can punish Scarecrow gas blast with it) but practically speaking trait window is too small, the commitment is great (MC is not safe) and MC animation is so long that most of the time you run out of trait when its performed, forbidding the MB part.

- It also probably means that f21~MC will now connect on crouching characters, which is great news for combo extentions, but overall same as d1~MC

TL:DR small and situational buff, wont affect matchups at all

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed since the patch in November that sometimes grodds f3 will splat even though the hit counter resets. Additionally b1 can also be clashed with a hit counter reset as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Test Your Might

Belial

Noob
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVh54SEU0AATiAS.jpg:large

Thats beautiful
let me sum it up
- Cancels are easy (but his combos and leap cancel are still damn hard)
- 2~SC is not 0 on block THANK YOU NRS WHAT A BUFF
- 22 has no gap, 22~SC now -3
- b2 is -1 on block
- 223 now has interruptible gap in it
- Mind control is faster and more unsafe.

Jesus thank you Grodd community thank you, you got Grodd much needed buffs in the end. Fuck you and NRS too.