What's new

Gorilla Grodd General Discussion Thread

SunsetBlvd

Proven Nappa GOD, 100% VERIFIED Best Nappa NA
And whoever says they don't deserve harsh critique is basically their bitch
maybe you're right and literally anyone that supports and appreciates nrs with a degree of maturity is an absolute bitch. obviously that makes a lot of sense. but there's another possibility to consider. maybe nrs is actually doing ok and the game is actually pretty decent, and you and other grodd players specifically just got fucked.

maybe it turns out that playing a widely considered bottom 5 character for like 7 months and thinking that "theyre for sure gonna buff him if i just stick with it" is actually just not that good of an idea. anyone playing a bottom tier character this late in the game is doing it for their own reasons and that's fine, but don't act surprised when it turns out badly because that fact is exactly why a lot of us don't do it.

maybe you're right and literally anyone that supports and appreciates nrs with a degree of maturity is an absolute bitch. obviously that makes a lot of sense. but there's another possibility to consider. maybe nrs is actually doing ok and the game is actually pretty decent, and you and other grodd players specifically just got fucked.

maybe it turns out that playing a widely considered bottom 5 character for like 7 months and thinking that "theyre for sure gonna buff him if i just stick with it" is actually just not that good of an idea. anyone playing a bottom tier character this late in the game is doing it for their own reasons and that's fine, but don't act surprised when it turns out badly because that fact is exactly why a lot of us don't do it.
Look bwoy you can pick whoever and I don't care, to me it was the only challenging and progressive character in this weak ass game. And I was never asking any buffs at any point so I don't know what was that about. Although I've said in the past that I have no respect for even implying something like you just did. Look, at this point I wouldn't pick any character in simple fear they will ruin it it for no reason lol. Watching tournaments from this game is the most boring shit ever, online experience is terrible and they basically make you play every single character to be smh good. I'm not a muppet, fuck this. Getting legendary gear for Grodd is such an ironic event in my life now lol I just wanted to cancel some, guess I'll revisit my bwoy Liu Kang

And on top of that, I wish your favourite fuckin character/main or whatever will be nerfed to the ground asap xD

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
I love it.
NRS gives characters who are just outside of top 10 unconditional buffs, but has to offset buffs to a bottom 10 character with nerfs.
It must just be my characters. They smacked Grodd for reasons I can't even begin to fathom, they nerfed my boy Zangief in SFV to the point even Itabashi switched to Abigail. Goddamn the bad luck, lol.

Skedar70

Noob
I'm probably the only one here who thinks that Grodd is still fine. I think the removal of the 22 gap solidified Grodd's position as a mid tier character. That gap was a big issue since every character could punish it with a simple d1 into a launcher and without 22 Grodd had no buttons since all of his strings were punishable. Anybody who doesn't see this clearly didn't play someone who actually exploited the gaps.

I understand why they nerfed B2. B2 is a safe mid with good reach and B2 SC was +5 with no downside and no cost at all for Grodd which means it was hugely unfavorable for your opponent to challenge it so they reduced it to 0 so that the opponent can take a risk and challenge it from time to time. Its like scarecrow mb fear ferno but with no bar.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
I'm probably the only one here who thinks that Grodd is still fine. I think the removal of the 22 gap solidified Grodd's position as a mid tier character. That gap was a big issue since every character could punish it with a simple d1 into a launcher and without 22 Grodd had no buttons since all of his strings were punishable. Anybody who doesn't see this clearly didn't play someone who actually exploited the gaps.

I understand why they nerfed B2. B2 is a safe mid with good reach and B2 SC was +5 with no downside and no cost at all for Grodd which means it was hugely unfavorable for your opponent to challenge it so they reduced it to 0 so that the opponent can take a risk and challenge it from time to time. Its like scarecrow mb fear ferno but with no bar.
I understand your point, but I would counter with this. First of all, I agree the 2 2 gap was a problem and that he is much better without it. However, there was no downside to B2 SC IF you consistently hit it. I know there are some people on here who can do that over and over (in practice anyway. I have never once seen anyone just roll with SC over an opponent) but the trade off for the ridiculous execution was pressure and mind games.

What do we have now? One cancel, then neutral? That is what it feels like to me, and I can't seem to play it with (insert the only 8 characters anyone plays) very well. Now, maybe we can dumb it down and mash 2 2 in neutral and use it's cancel window as a generous hit confirm. But maybe not.

Wigy

There it is...
B2 is hardly an oppressive neutral button, its mostly suited to tripguarding and whiff punishing.

They didnt need to make it 0 on block. +3 would be nice, he doesnt have any good d1 starters so its not crazy, you’d either eat a poke trying to poke out or interrupt him.

Skedar70

Noob
B2 is hardly an oppressive neutral button, its mostly suited to tripguarding and whiff punishing.

They didnt need to make it 0 on block. +3 would be nice, he doesnt have any good d1 starters so its not crazy, you’d either eat a poke trying to poke out or interrupt him.
They just changed that with mind control. d1 into mind control is now a combo starter that leads to a vortex.

Wigy

There it is...
They just changed that with mind control. d1 into mind control is now a combo starter that leads to a vortex.
B2 isnt easy to land in the neutral and you’d have to have trait up its full punish on block and theres not much to force them to poke anyway.

He legit doesnt have pressure now, cant zone cant mix properly until they’ve already been hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Test Your Might

Wigy

There it is...
If the opponents defence is on point and they’re patient theres no real way to properly open them up im finding.

If your opponent is on point u cant really leap

A regular jump is death

Can approach on the ground but when you finally close, most characters have better buttons than you which are hard to challenge.

Even if you force them to hold a string he has a 4+ string then if you just block grodd will either be negative or neutral with no mixup

If the opponents defence is on point and they’re patient theres no real way to properly open them up im finding.

If your opponent is on point u cant really leap

A regular jump is death

Can approach on the ground but when you finally close, most characters have better buttons than you which are hard to challenge.

Even if you force them to hold a string he has a 4+ string then if you just block grodd will either be negative or neutral with no mixup
I still say, especially in the current state of SC, that he needs a command throw to open people up

Wigy

There it is...
I think a much better range b1 thats about 14 frames would help his offence a lot. Also a milld trait specific strings as most are complete ass. Like give his a new one off 22 and make the others less pointless.