What's new

Gorilla Grodd General Discussion Thread

TheRealOnlyGoonie

Hey You Guys
Grodd is really fun. What does he need to be competitive though? Is he already competitive?
HE IS DEF ALREADY COMPETITIVE, I STILL THINK ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS REMOVE THE GAP IN 2,2 FOR HIM TO BE SUPER SOLID, BUT AS OF RN HE CAN DEF COMPETE WITH ANY CHARACTER IN THE GAME!!!!!!

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
id rate a characters viability in 4 levels based on their ability to rank in tournament:
top 32, 9th place, top 8, and gf.
this assumes the upper limit of current human execution. Sometimes we think someone is less viable until someone busts some fresh tech, so you have to see evidence.

So top 32, you can see anything, any crazy person can get lucky and land in top 32 with almost anything.

9th place, the character is consistent enough to be able to handle enough matchups to get to the upper limit of top 16, but will likely, or already has been eliminated because of a bad matchup vs a skilled player.

top 8, the character is consistent enough against popular high tier tournament characters that it can compete in a top 8, but rarely takes home above 4th.

GF grand finals. Character is consistent and popular, and for good reason, no glaring weaknesses that make them easy to counterpick.

i would put grodd at 9th place assuming perfect execution, soft pools, and hella reads. most of the cast is pretty viable but in tournament you dont have to worry about most of the cast, you have to worry about the most dangerous ones first.

I'm sorry but anyone who thinks he didn't need buffs or at least fixes has clearly not played a top player that plays the mu correctly.

Go play foxy and try to get away with your 22/ 112 pressure. Try catching him off guard with a slow ass leap..
Pressure comes from different strings, 22 has a gap only if done up close.

Skedar70

Noob
More Oakies footage. He is actually pretty solid the only thing he is missing is getting his cancels more consistently. He has good footsies and is really good using trait. Take what works for you from the match.

Belial

Noob
@TheRealOnlyGoonie I watched your videos from REO and WotG, I really like your neutral, but u need to work on your confirms more.
- You have a lot of missed opportunities for big damage from 22 (which is really easy to hitconfirm).
- I also think you overuse 22 in neutral which is very risky against knowledgable opponent (backdash will get them full combo) you need to put more work towards b2 eventually.
- You lose out a lot of damage doing unoptimal combos from weak starters (like d2, 22, leap 2) at the same time you seem quite consistant with landing multiple leap 3's so Im not sure why you give up on damage so much in situations where you can deal much more, but you go for max damage when you've already done enough (like mb b3)
- You use leap2, b2~sc which you really shouldnt as it doesnt have the same properties as b2 on aerial opponent (no vortex)
- Your pressure with cancels is predictable as you're basically doing the same stuff(22,112,22,b2,mbf3).
- Also your timings seem off, as better cancels should give you smapede on hit and sc on block (at least thats how it works for me, also works as OS vs mb b3). Knowledgable opponent will murder you for bad cancel timing.
- You dont optimize your combos depending on situation. For example you dont go for vortex when its necessary, you dont finish enemy off when you can, you dont do mbb3 unbreakable combos when you get the chance etc.
- When you feel pressured you tend to overuse leap like many other Grodds. A pity as you're probably the only Grodd playing neutral so well you dont need leaps that much

Also some questions
- how do you achieve such crispy neutral sc, seems very fluent to me, any tips?
- whats your idea for inputting df3 from walking back. I tried to figure it out and it seems pretty random. Inputing like b,d,df3 or b,f,df3 seems to work but I fear it takes to much time. Any ideas on inputting that crap is very welcome.
- Also Im curious about your controller setup. Do you use release check or any other settings that help?

TheRealOnlyGoonie

Hey You Guys
@TheRealOnlyGoonie I watched your videos from REO and WotG, I really like your neutral, but u need to work on your confirms more.
- You have a lot of missed opportunities for big damage from 22 (which is really easy to hitconfirm).
- I also think you overuse 22 in neutral which is very risky against knowledgable opponent (backdash will get them full combo) you need to put more work towards b2 eventually.
- You lose out a lot of damage doing unoptimal combos from weak starters (like d2, 22, leap 2) at the same time you seem quite consistant with landing multiple leap 3's so Im not sure why you give up on damage so much in situations where you can deal much more, but you go for max damage when you've already done enough (like mb b3)
- You use leap2, b2~sc which you really shouldnt as it doesnt have the same properties as b2 on aerial opponent (no vortex)
- Your pressure with cancels is predictable as you're basically doing the same stuff(22,112,22,b2,mbf3).
- Also your timings seem off, as better cancels should give you smapede on hit and sc on block (at least thats how it works for me, also works as OS vs mb b3). Knowledgable opponent will murder you for bad cancel timing.
- You dont optimize your combos depending on situation. For example you dont go for vortex when its necessary, you dont finish enemy off when you can, you dont do mbb3 unbreakable combos when you get the chance etc.
- When you feel pressured you tend to overuse leap like many other Grodds. A pity as you're probably the only Grodd playing neutral so well you dont need leaps that much

Also some questions
- how do you achieve such crispy neutral sc, seems very fluent to me, any tips?
- whats your idea for inputting df3 from walking back. I tried to figure it out and it seems pretty random. Inputing like b,d,df3 or b,f,df3 seems to work but I fear it takes to much time. Any ideas on inputting that crap is very welcome.
- Also Im curious about your controller setup. Do you use release check or any other settings that help?
THX FOR THE TIPS BELIAL. AS FAR AS HIT CONFIRMING 2,2 YA I AGREE IT IS VERY EASY TO HITCONFIRM AND I WILL BEGIN TO DO SO MORE . WHEN U SAY "You use leap2, b2~sc which you really shouldnt as it doesnt have the same properties as b2 on aerial opponent (no vortex)" IM NOT SURE WHAT U MEAN? CAN U FARTHER EXPLIAN. AS FAR AS MY CANCELS GO I PLAY ON AN XBOX PAD. SO I DONT KNOW IF THAT HELPS OR HURTS THEM. I DO NOT USE RELEASE CHECK OR NEGATIVE EDGE AND I HAVE BUTTON SHORTCUTS ON, ALONG WITH INPUT SHORTCUTS.

Belial

Noob
You use leap2, b2~sc which you really shouldnt as it doesnt have the same properties as b2 on aerial opponent (no vortex)" IM NOT SURE WHAT U MEAN?
when b2~sc hits opponent on the ground they can simply duck under all jump atacks, for some weird reason. On aerial hit opponent is positioned differently (not further, just... some bug, idk) and you can connect j3's as crossup and as a no crossup. Also b2~SC on grounded opponent provides less hitstun (i dont remember but i think so) than aerial b2~SC.

TheRealOnlyGoonie

Hey You Guys
when b2~sc hits opponent on the ground they can simply duck under all jump atacks, for some weird reason. On aerial hit opponent is positioned differently (not further, just... some bug, idk) and you can connect j3's as crossup and as a no crossup. Also b2~SC on grounded opponent provides less hitstun (i dont remember but i think so) than aerial b2~SC.
GOT IT. SO IF I WANT TO END IN B2, SC, I SHOULD DO IT OFF A J3 IS WHAT UR SAYING NOT J2?