What's new

Gorilla Grodd General Discussion Thread

TRG

Grodd God
I'm going to be honest with you. It's not worth it. I have the cancels and it took a lot of practice time and it doesn't make much of a difference. Grodd is still trash and the buffs didn't help him at all. He loses to most of the cast. I suggest you pick someone else and come back next patch.
I disagree. My Grodd game improved by a lot once I learned the cancels.

Anyone who's serious about Grodd should learn them, but yeah if you're just looking for easy wins then all the time spent on cancels could easily be spent learning a braindead character like Superman.

Skedar70

Noob
I disagree. My Grodd game improved by a lot once I learned the cancels.

Anyone who's serious about Grodd should learn them, but yeah if you're just looking for easy wins then all the time spent on cancels could easily be spent learning a braindead character like Superman.
Oh no definitely the cancels are crucial to Grodd. My point is even with them he is one of the worse characters in the game and you will still lose to most of the cast.

Belial

Noob
Grodd isn't good he is broken. All his problems remain but now 1 touch could easily mean 70-80% health. U can reset damage for extra bar or just go for vortex from float. This is nuts. I think balance patch is shit.

Skedar70

Noob
Grodd isn't good he is broken. All his problems remain but now 1 touch could easily mean 70-80% health. U can reset damage for extra bar or just go for vortex from float. This is nuts. I think balance patch is shit.
I have no idea what you are talking about. Reset damage for a bar? Vortex? can you provide details? Thanks

Did these motherfuckers really make robin assassin strike cancel just d and leave stampede cancels as they are (i am starting to do them consistently a lot more but still that's really frustrating

OmGxBdON

I'm going to make Fate top ten
Im
The vortex is from trait burst cancelled into leap. You either mid leap or close leap and it's a fiddy fiddy against most of the cast. Characters that can anti air you lose to grab if they try it.
happy they took away his infinite so I can feel like I'm at the same level with omega k :}. At least combo wise

TRG

Grodd God
Here's what OmegaK's talking about: First I show what the damage reset looks like from the first float1 into the air grab, and then I go for the 50/50 after the 2nd float1. Take notice of how I do a mid leap in both videos after the 2nd float1, but the j3 does not cross up while the j2 does. It's a complete guessing game on the opponents part. The fact that he can do all of this after a simple d1 is dirty as fuck.

Skedar70

Noob
Here's what OmegaK's talking about: First I show what the damage reset looks like from the first float1 into the air grab, and then I go for the 50/50 after the 2nd float1. Take notice of how I do a mid leap in both videos after the 2nd float1, but the j3 does not cross up while the j2 does. It's a complete guessing game on the opponents part. The fact that he can do all of this after a simple d1 is dirty as fuck.

He could always do this though. The only difference now is that we can activate trait without spending meter (or with one bar depending on the launcher). There is no doubt Grodd is a power house once he lands a hit but all of his other issues are still there. He has nothing to contest in the neutral (no projectile, no forward advancing string, no jump in, no back dash, bad forward dash, bad AA, no forward advancing armored f3) so all he does is walk in and try to land a hit to hopefully get one of these reset runs, meanwhile the opponent builds ton of meter by zoning you or pressuring you with more ranged strings and jump in cross overs.

OmGxBdON

He could always do this though. The only difference now is that we can activate trait without spending meter (or with one bar depending on the launcher). There is no doubt Grodd is a power house once he lands a hit but all of his other issues are still there. He has nothing to contest in the neutral (no projectile, no forward advancing string, no jump in, no back dash, bad forward dash, bad AA, no forward advancing armored f3) so all he does is walk in and try to land a hit to hopefully get one of these reset runs, meanwhile the opponent builds ton of meter by zoning you or pressuring you with more ranged strings and jump in cross overs.
U have to use secret sweep or how I like to call it gimme a banana more. Anyways his secret sweep and d2 are really useful and he has amazing mids. I just treat the character like zangief or how most grapplers play. play patiently, walk down your opponent and use his neutral tools to the best of his ability. Also his ex b3 is amazing. Whiteboi does this very well and Ik harambe isn't the crow but I'd say when u use his mb b3 secret sweep mids good d2 IMO and his top tier poke all together then he does very well in the neutral.

Skedar70

Noob
U have to use secret sweep or how I like to call it gimme a banana more. Anyways his secret sweep and d2 are really useful and he has amazing mids. I just treat the character like zangief or how most grapplers play. play patiently, walk down your opponent and use his neutral tools to the best of his ability. Also his ex b3 is amazing. Whiteboi does this very well and Ik harambe isn't the crow but I'd say when u use his mb b3 secret sweep mids good d2 IMO and his top tier poke all together then he does very well in the neutral.
I use it. Believe me I do, Still struggle its negative 16 and the opponent has no reason to block high at that range.

Character is not garbage, his damage out put is even more stupid after the patch along with what TRG showed above and omega explained. If he lands a hit on you its pretty much bye bye 50 % or more of your health. Only problem I have is with his strings and a bit annoyed we cant cancel trait into tele grab even though we can cancel in to push lol. Like bdon said though its a 1 button neutral pretty much just like zangief in Street fighter , play patient and cash out with this damage the ape kingdom has blessed us with.

OmGxBdON

I use it. Believe me I do, Still struggle its negative 16 and the opponent has no reason to block high at that range.
There is actually a big reason to not block low. Everyone thinks they're a footsie god now walking back and forth like they know how to play in the nuetral. Slap them with a couple of gimme a banana and then either A they are gonna start jumpin in that case mb b3 them or d2. B they start block low which allows to walk them down faster since they won't start walking back and C they start to get out of sweep range and just try to whiff punish you or just jump back. In that case just walk them down even more or like make a Read with his leap or turn on trait. Just do something useful. Alot of times they start jumpin after getting hit by secret sweep so be ready to d2 them. I wish grodd had an air grab. Like his gear ability, air grabs are hype af

Belial

Noob
He is broken and stupid. Having true vortex is what people hated about MKX, I understand this may fall under "telepath playing mindgames" thing, but in a nutshell this is the worst way to balance character. "Yeah he is trash but he has some super broken shit". I mean Grodd cant even punish 90% stuff on WIFF. And now you have to put your gameplan into your ability to guess 50/50. In a world where air rolls exist that isnt even a reliable strategy. He strangely reminds me of Killer Frost I used in IGAU lol.

And also lol at people saying "but he had that before". not really. Before you needed at least 3 bars to get this going. now you only need 2. Even better you only need 1 with interactible. Basically now you can start a round off d1~bounce, set this up right away and annihilate their lifebar. This is beyond stupid.

Unfortunately sponsors sent me to Viennality so I have to bear with CW for another 5 days, but after Im back Im still hitting Grodd hard. Gonna try my best to break him.

DeftMonk

Noob
There is actually a big reason to not block low. Everyone thinks they're a footsie god now walking back and forth like they know how to play in the nuetral. Slap them with a couple of gimme a banana and then either A they are gonna start jumpin in that case mb b3 them or d2. B they start block low which allows to walk them down faster since they won't start walking back and C they start to get out of sweep range and just try to whiff punish you or just jump back. In that case just walk them down even more or like make a Read with his leap or turn on trait. Just do something useful. Alot of times they start jumpin after getting hit by secret sweep so be ready to d2 them. I wish grodd had an air grab. Like his gear ability, air grabs are hype af
I didn't know ur playing grodd btw I'd be interested to see what that looks like. I mained him at launch and haven't played him in a long time but, as I remember this tool to be great as you are saying. I remember struggling to have a good follow up to the max range "gimme banana". What are you doing after this to keep up pressure?
Main problem I had while playing grodd was getting in and staying in without the opponent making huge mistakes.

DeftMonk

Noob
He is broken and stupid. Having true vortex is what people hated about MKX, I understand this may fall under "telepath playing mindgames" thing, but in a nutshell this is the worst way to balance character. "Yeah he is trash but he has some super broken shit". I mean Grodd cant even punish 90% stuff on WIFF. And now you have to put your gameplan into your ability to guess 50/50. In a world where air rolls exist that isnt even a reliable strategy. He strangely reminds me of Killer Frost I used in IGAU lol.

And also lol at people saying "but he had that before". not really. Before you needed at least 3 bars to get this going. now you only need 2. Even better you only need 1 with interactible. Basically now you can start a round off d1~bounce, set this up right away and annihilate their lifebar. This is beyond stupid.

Unfortunately sponsors sent me to Viennality so I have to bear with CW for another 5 days, but after Im back Im still hitting Grodd hard. Gonna try my best to break him.
What's different that makes this cost less bars? (Just based on watching that vid) you could always do b3 d2 trait b2 before.

TRG

Grodd God
Getting in and staying in are what the stampede cancels are for. It's safe pressure if you're opponent doesn't expose the gaps.