What's new

Gorilla Grodd General Discussion Thread

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
How is grodd vs zoners?
If the person is good at zoning then grodd will more than likely get destroyed if he gets in that's the person ass if they don't know the mu well.
He has an projectile invulnerability move while trait is active but the start up time is too slow and it doesn't last long so it's kind of difficult to activate if you're far away like when people usually start to zone.
If you're good at being patient and know how to use evade roll correctly then you could have a chance

Last edited:

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
How is grodd vs zoners?
that depends on your patience and the type of zoner. he actually does pretty well against zoners without mid projectiles, or slow mids. You have to be patient and pick your spots well though. I usually try to use train aand immunity to work my way in then try to stay on top of them till trait comes back. If they boss me out i just duck and wait. Sitting still for a lil bit makes you kinda hard to predict and leap is useful for getting up and around projectiles. I feel like grodds big problem is when he gets in he has a hard time oppening the opponent up.

I would say if you know what youre doing you will have a better time than someone playing swamp thing.

Belial

Noob
Give him his MB throw gear ability and remove the gap in 112 and I'll be happy.
Im not sure how its going to help him. I think he is absolute trash right now. Bottom 5 easily. He has one insignificant strength and a lot of weaknesses. Its a good design by itself but not when other characters are designed the other way around (lots of strong points, almost no drawbacks). Also, you have to approach enemy in 100% MU (grodds range is among the worst in the game) and thats already a bad thing in injustice 2

Grodd gameplan is to come at midscreen which is disadvantage by itself, but once he is there there are no particulary threatening options from him. A lot of MU can just throw stuff out and Grodd has no way to punish it (require significantly better footsies that opponent). A lot of MU can jump stupidly and Grodd has super-hard time punishing it (his AA is bad, his trip-guard ability is also bad).

Im saying this b/c I got back on Grodd after playing other characters and the difference of effort is staggering.

BassCase

Noob
I have a confession to make. After seeing the Bizzaro skin , I picked up Superman as a secondary because I love Bizzaro. I literally played him for 25 minutes and easily won matches with minimal effort.

Then I played with Grodd, whom I have been playing with constantly since launch, and the execution gap between the 2 is laughable. Poor Grodd

Skedar70

Noob
Been playing a lot of Grodd lately. There is no denying. He is bottom 2 maybe only above swamp thing. Even if you can do the cancels he is at a severe disadvantage against most of the cast.

1. He lacks neutral and is always trying to get in while you opponent is building meter by throwing some sort of projectile. He only has 3 combo strings 22, 112 b1 1+2, 22 has a gap and is punishable, 112 is a high and also has a gap, b1 1+2 is slow has no reach should never be used in neutral. His other strings are trait dependant and completely useless. Other character have foward advancing mids that are safe or can easily be made plus.

2. His wakeup does no damage.
3. He cant jump at all while the opponents can jump and cross over you like a frog his jump is very floaty and he has a large hit box due to being a big character. So you cant go over projectiles like other characters when being zoned out.
4. Unlike most of the cast his f3 overhead has no reach while the rest of the cast get a foward advancing f3.
5. He has an unexisting backdash.
6. His execution is the hardest in the game. Even if you dont use cancels his regular vortex combos require lots of precise inputs.

He has good offense once you land a hit and if you can do the cancels buf if the opponent exploits the gaps there is nothing you can do and you are out of options.

Lets hope the patch helps Grodd.

I'm having a pretty big issue with Fate's f2db2

Anyone got any pointers? This kills me
I was actually having this issue against @Anarquisto's Fate last night. None of Grodds buttons ATM except for d1 can punish it, and since the pushback is so massive Grodd can't even punish with that. But since it's -9 and s2 is 10 frames, if he tries to do anything after that, you get a free combo. And if he blocks it, you can start stampede pressure.

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
Lets get hype for the coming patch

I basically explained everything we need on page 1 of this topic. People were laughing then... https://testyourmight.com/threads/gorilla-grodd-general-discussion-thread.63838/#post-2276804

What are your guesses?
i like your suggestions, they address most of grodds problems.

I think float needs to be reworked. The float animation should have grodd cross his legs into lotus or "indian style" so he can avoid most mid attacks and projectiles. The airdash needs better cancel frames, and pulse should be overhead.

22 grab should be overhead and or fix the gap.

b1 should vaccum on hit like standing 3 does.

f3 should be faster and safe af with that joke of a hitbox. Im still pretty sure its some sort of backwards anti crossup thing and not really designed to be used as an overhead or some sort of crazy paolo fever dream.

stampede and ex stampede need 50-100 more damage.

finally: projectile immunity should start up about 5-10 frames faster.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
The Grodd buffs probably won't help him overall, but I'd like to see the trait cancel in action.

They didnt even address his gaps, his shitty B1,1+3, his F3...3 of the biggest things we've talked about.

Gotta say...I'm disappointed.

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
Bros like 50% of our complaints were just buffed.
stampede and ex stampede do more damage
trait activation can now be very quickly cancelled into push and immunity.
I think immunity got faster too but im writing this down live so i might have missed something.

they didn't seem to adjust the gaps but we havent seen the write out yet so they might have just not mentioned it.

They took away the infinites, but that doesn't really change anything because it only drops after like 5 reps when you are doing more inputs than damage.

TRG

Grodd God
Quick summary of who got buffed/nerfed based on Watchtower stream

Sub Zero- no changes
Cyborg- no changes
Swamp Thing - buffed
Aqua- nerfed hard
Catwoman- nerfed hard
Atrocitous- nerfed
Flash- slightly buffed
Lantern- no changes
Harley- no changes
Batman- nerfed
Red Hood- nerfed
Superman- nerfed
Joker- no changes
GRODD BUFFED!!! (INFINITE REMOVED THOUGH)
Cheetah- buffed
Deadshot- nerfed
Ivy- buffed
Supergirl- buffed
Arrow- no changes
Fate- buffed
Beetle- no changes
Firestorm- no changes
Canary- buffed
Darksied- no changes
Wonder Woman- buffed
Adam- nerfed hard
Cold- buffed
Robin- buffed
Brainiac- buffed
Scarecrow- no changes
Bane- buffed

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Bros like 50% of our complaints were just buffed.
stampede and ex stampede do more damage
trait activation can now be very quickly cancelled into push and immunity.
I think immunity got faster too but im writing this down live so i might have missed something.

they didn't seem to adjust the gaps but we havent seen the write out yet so they might have just not mentioned it.

They took away the infinites, but that doesn't really change anything because it only drops after like 5 reps when you are doing more inputs than damage.

Did they say anything about opening up the stampede cancel windows to make the execution any easier? Grodd is so fun but I'm too much of a filthy casual for that shit lol.

I missed what they changed with grodd, mind giving me a recap?

Quick summary of who got buffed/nerfed based on Watchtower stream

Sub Zero- no changes
Cyborg- no changes
Swamp Thing - buffed
Aqua- nerfed hard
Catwoman- nerfed hard
Atrocitous- nerfed
Flash- slightly buffed
Lantern- no changes
Harley- no changes
Batman- nerfed
Red Hood- nerfed
Superman- nerfed
Joker- no changes
GRODD BUFFED!!! (INFINITE REMOVED THOUGH)
Cheetah- buffed
Deadshot- nerfed
Ivy- buffed
Supergirl- buffed
Arrow- no changes
Fate- buffed
Beetle- no changes
Firestorm- no changes
Canary- buffed
Darksied- no changes
Wonder Woman- buffed
Adam- nerfed hard