What's new

Gorilla Grodd General Discussion Thread

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Do you go by the formula, or do you just go savage Wachutu and lose it?

Because I don't bother with Ground Pound cancels in combos, I just swing and Telekinesis and go bananas.
And it works. Except against Aquaman, but that's an everybody problem I feel like.

Anyone else?
This monkey is fun. Like, Monkey from Dexter's Laboratory fun.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
It was the first move I got lol.
Haha, nice. If you take all his gear moves you really get the sense that he's a gear based character. Also make me realize that balancing characters for competitive mode could really unbalance them in normal modes. Fuck

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
#4 is definitely one that needs addressed. Always reminds me of Bo Rai Cho's 341 string. The 3 would hit but the fucking 41 would sometimes whiff leaving you at like -153, and you'd be punished for actually hitting someone.

Worth mentioning, if they wont make SC easier, they need to shrink the gap in 22 to where they can backdash, but not MBB3 you.

The 22/SC issue is huge. I honestly think if the community knew, Grodd would fall all the way into F tier.
I was a bo player in mkx, i know just what you mean. Some characters could dash/run under the gap in 341 for a free punish. Grodd reminds me a bunch of Bo, loads of potential but the devs think that he has so much potential that if they buff him he will just roflstomp the cast or something so a character that needs buffs only got slight buffs and a bunch of nerfs for like no reason. Thats DM specifically tho, they actually buffed DF and bartitsu pretty well. Very frustrating though.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Just got done watching that 30 min set with @PND OmegaK and @PND_Ketchup.

Omegak plays a lot like I do( he's so much better at SC cancels) but I'm super surprised that Ketchup wasn't D2ing the fuck out of the leaps or exploiting the gaps.

@PND_Ketchup can you elaborate on your experience against Grodd? Maybe some thoughts on viability?

PANDA

*Supreme Member*
Suggestions for Grodd on new patch:

(reasonable buffs)
- make dd1,1 in trait an OH so it will actually cross up if you air dash.
- projectile invulnerability the moment trait is active or faster startup on dd3 in trait

(unreasonable buffs)
- make 223, -2 or 0 on block
- give Grodd a command grab

thoughts?

So fellas, you know how you can just backdash Grodds f3 in the reset?

Well, if your opponent is backdashing everything after the reset, you can feign the f3 (forward dash) and 22 1+3 MB for a full combo. I've tested this on some of the best backdashes (Harley, Catwoman, Cheetah) and the only one where this won't work is Cheetah (only the first hit of 22 will connect).

You can also do 112 SC on some backdashes (works on Harley, completely whiffs on Cheetah).

But sadly, this doesn't stop the opponent from ya know, just REACTING to the overhead/low.

Just figured I should share as a nice piece for conditioning the opponent. Hell, maybe this will work on all characters if one of you guys with better execution can do faster f3 cancels.

BassCase

Noob
I wonder if Grodd will get any love in the upcoming patch. All I've heard is the top tiers are going to be "adjusted".

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Interested to see what he gets. Starting to play him myself some and hes a ton of fun *most* of the time. All part of my character overhaul. Execution outside of Stampede Cancel isnt bad (this is important to me), I love that damage.

Not gonna lie though, I'd like to see the SC get a little easier after the patch. I know it's been discussed and the general consensus is to git gud, and I dont disagree - but I still wouldnt mind it being a little looser, cause I know me, and as it stands, I'll likely be playing a SCless Grodd, lol.

BassCase

Noob
SC are inconsistent at best even for high level Grodd players. Putting an extended amount of time into practicing the cancels should result in around a 75% success rate IMO. The cancel should be made SLIGHTLY less strict.

I also agree completely with MB throw being in his base move set and 112 losing the gap in it.

BassCase

Noob
I know that this is off topic, but does anyone know of an active guild I could join? I just left mine today after 2 weeks of being the sole active player out of 50.

TRG

Grodd God
Slowly getting better at stampede cancels... Started feeling good about myself until I realized all of those countless hours practicing them could have went into learning a braindead character like Aquaman for a better win % overall.

Such is the life of a low tier.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Slowly getting better at stampede cancels... Started feeling good about myself until I realized all of those countless hours practicing them could have went into learning a braindead character like Aquaman for a better win % overall.

Such is the life of a low tier.
Aquaman takes only 1 hour to master, so uh, yeah/

Hi guys could someone please help me with the timing of 22 SC because i really struggle with it i can do the 112 and b2 but this one i can't get right consistently

Skedar70

Noob
Hi guys could someone please help me with the timing of 22 SC because i really struggle with it i can do the 112 and b2 but this one i can't get right consistently
The window to input the bb or ff is really small so you have to press them really close to each other but its not about speed and mashing its about the motion to do it. Its hard to explain but with a lot of practice you can get the muscle memory to do it the timing is weird.

Practice practice practice. I took me a lot of time to get them and I have to warm up before matches so I bring back the muscle memory or else I can't get a single one mid match.