What's new

German MK official site accidentally confirms Jax

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Disagree, the new Liu Kang is a much better character than the old Liu Kang.
this ...the new Liu Kang, revenant king of Netherrealm, it's gorgeous underrated .... he is bad, but with sarcastic humour that you end loving ... in MK9 he was good as the Earthrealm hero, in MKX, he was the "dark humour" dude and did well his part .... and in MK11, I'm sure he will continue being interesting to watch ... his rivalry with Raiden is fucking delicious to see, rsrsrsr :D

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I'm on mobile, so I'm not gonna multiquote.

I've seen the same echoed over other forums as well.

I like Liu's new attitude, and his new hatred for Raiden. I don't like the direction he's gone in though.

I enjoyed Deadly Alliance's story of killing him and bringing Kung Lao back in the light. They then brougbt him back as a mindless zombie and it's been downhill from there, imo

He (seemingly) works for Kronika now. If Liu Kang is going to be an antagonist, he should be the top dog.

Reactions: Lun

Lun

proud TERF!
If Jax wasn't in this game then I would be annoyed as it'd feel that Jacqui replaced him. I am glad he is in!

Also, watch all the complainers suddenly think Jax is awesome once the reveal trailer hits.

I hope this means Shang Tsung is confirmed too!!

J_in_CA

Noob
I'm glad he's back, I just hope one of the skins gives us the option for normal arms instead of always robotic ones.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
That's a mistake from the google translate. "Opfer" can mean either victims or sacrifices. The translation went for the wrong one. Otherwise it's on point, except that they actively say "Earthrealm" instead of "the earth".
Yeah, there are always many different words for the same thing, when you translate certain words. I would say that the safest bet would look something like this:

Victim = Opfer
Sacrifice = Aufopferung

"Opfer" first and foremost stands for "victim", but in German it can also be used for "sacrifice" just fine. "Aufopferung" is like giving a piece of your soul for someone or something else. So I guess it would have been the better translation on not only Google Translators part, but also on the official translation on the MK website.

(That's just my opinion though and since I'm not even truly German, take it with a grain of salt.)

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
Yeah, there are always many different words for the same thing, when you translate certain words. I would say that the safest bet would look something like this:

Victim = Opfer
Sacrifice = Aufopferung

"Opfer" first and foremost stands for "victim", but in German it can also be used for "sacrifice" just fine. "Aufopferung" is like giving a piece of your soul for someone or something else. So I guess it would have been the better translation on not only Google Translators part, but also on the official translation on the MK website.

(That's just my opinion though and since I'm not even truly German, take it with a grain of salt.)
I am German ;) "Aufopferung" can be used for sacrifice, but it would not be fitting in the context of the sentence. "Opfer" is the right one here. I'm not sure how to explain the semantic difference :D It's the same if you use it as a verb. To sacrifice sth. would mean "etwas opfern".

Why the hate for Jax? Hes been a staple in the franchise I'd rather have him in over some of these others I always see requested. ( kill me but what's so great about rain?)

If ermac and havik were in this roster would be perfect for me. Ermac because hes one of my favs and it would be interesting to see what he would do now that a younger shao is back in action.
Havik because well shit, think about all the cool animations and things they could do with him a d his abilities. Anybody read the mkx comics?
The guy needs another chance

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
Many fans of Special Forces humans, also dislike the more monstrous, magical outworld/netherrealm characters. And vice versa.

Can you imagine going back 20 years and telling a young MK fan "Hey, in the future every character is Stryker"

Special Forces is the wackest
Lololol I would of been ok with Johnny cassie and jax. Sonya and her 50/50s can fuck all the way off. I just wish nrs would of made jaqui, jack. Nothing against females but it would of been cool for either the cages or the Briggs to have a son. Jus sayin

IMO, excepting boss characters like Shao Kahn and Goro the primary characters of Mortal Kombat as a 27-year franchise are:

• Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden
  • Liu Kang, Johnny Cage, Kitana, Mileena, Sonya Blade, Jax
  • Kano, Shang Tsung, Kung Lao
  • Reptile, Baraka
Roughly in that order (and ordered within tiers). It's the MK1/MK2 playable cast, arranged from most recognizable to everyday people who aren't MK fans to least recognizable unless you're a fan. In particular, anyone who was in the first Mortal Kombat movie, which was a massive worldwide blockbuster film that is most people's only actual exposure to Mortal Kombat, is iconic to the franchise.

After that, I'd say the following characters are the next tier down:

• Jade, Smoke, Noob Saibot, Cyrax, Sektor, Sindel, Kabal, Nightwolf, Ermac, Kenshi, Quan Chi
Those are all characters it's nice to have, but I'm never super surprised if one of them doesn't make the cut.

Nobody argues Street Fighter should have Guile, Cammy, or Chun-Li sit out because there are 'too many special forces characters'. Those characters are iconic core figures in the franchise and at this point any iteration of the series is going to feature them. MK similarly trafficks in a pop culture brand that is nostalgic and iconic, and if you start dropping the characters most identified with the brand, the general public will lose interest.

We are already seeing Cassie Cage and Kotal Kahn in particular achieve this status with a new generation, btw -- I would be surprised if either of them goes away anytime soon.
I really appreciate this post for sure. You made many valid points and you’re definitely not wrong with anything you said, but I still feel like everyone except Scorpion, Sub Zero, And Raiden should be subject to sit out a game!

Last edited:
Lololol I would of been ok with Johnny cassie and jax. Sonya and her 50/50s can fuck all the way off. I just wish nrs would of made jaqui, jack. Nothing against females but it would of been cool for either the cages or the Briggs to have a son. Jus sayin
If Jax had a son, there would’ve been WAYYYYYY more complaints regarding redundancy.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
My reaction to Jax being picked in that spot as oppose to Ermac, Rain, Smoke, Fujin and NW.
Jax wasn't picked instead of those characters, because Jax is auto-include.

If anyone was picked "over" Ermac, Rain, Fujin, Smoke, and Nightwolf, its Baraka, Jade, Kabal, Skarlet, Frost, Erron Black, Noob, and Jacqui. None of which are auto-include, all of which could have sat this game out to make room for the characters you want.

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
Oh look, grandpa pure.Wasted tries to make us hate the actual COOL characters instead of boring humans.

I will never think as you do. I love my fantasy hobbies, if I want boring army I would play games like battlefield 3.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
Oh look, grandpa pure.Wasted tries to make us hate the actual COOL characters instead of boring humans.

I will never think as you do. I love my fantasy hobbies, if I want boring army I would play games like battlefield 3.
He's not trying to make you hate anyone lol, he's just stating (correctly) that the mainstay characters like Jax, Sonya, and Cage were never going to sit out, which means your faves were never competing with them to begin with.

It's like me saying Tanya isn't in the game because Kabal is. That's goofy. The female characters are almost certainly competing for the same limited slots. The same is true of non-essential fan favorites in general.