What's new

German MK official site accidentally confirms Jax

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
And I never said it should be. But that doesn't mean I can't express my disappointments and dislikes.
You're entirely free to express your disappointment and I'm entirely free to give you some un-asked for advice on dealing with your disappointment. :D

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I'm glad he's back. At this point we should expect every playable character from MK1 and MK2 to come back.

Except Reptile. He needs to hibernate.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
Continually amazed by people who want characters like Sonya, Jax, or Cage to sit out lol. These are the main characters of the franchise!

Excited to see what they've done with him this time, especially since Jacqui has some of the stuff we'd consider classic to him (like the Superman punch).

tbh i think all those "leaks" are the actual marketing campaign. you cant make that many mistakes... can you?
It's hundreds of people across multiple countries -- only like four people have made mistakes. It happens.

pure.Wasted

OMG I was almost worried that we wouldn’t have enough special forces characters in the game. WHEW, THAT WAS A CLOSE ONE....

:DOGE
And I was worried that we might not have enough female ninjas in the game. Disaster averted, thank god.

Game just isn't complete without both Kitana and Jade at the same time, am I right?!

:DOGE

Continually amazed by people who want characters like Sonya, Jax, or Cage to sit out lol. These are the main characters of the franchise!

Excited to see what they've done with him this time, especially since Jacqui has some of the stuff we'd consider classic to him (like the Superman punch).

It's hundreds of people across multiple countries -- only like four people have made mistakes. It happens.
My reasoning for wanting those characters to sit out is very simple. I don’t believe that they are the END ALL be all. I think that it’s perfectly fine with them missing a game. Scorpion, Sub Zero, And Raiden are the 3 characters who should ALWAYS be there no matter what.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I'm honestly really sad to see that Liu Kang isn't one of the "must be in every" game characters anymore. They've been mishandling the character ever since Deception. Liu Kang used to be the protagonist, he was the BADDEST motherfucker in MK canon. Took down anybody who stepped to Earth. Now he's a fucking henchman.

Unbelievable.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Weird things I've noticed about people fussing about the roster:

1. No one ever mentions that they want Baraka to sit out, but instead want Sonya, Cassie, Jax, or Jacqui to sit out.

2. No one, and I mean NO ONE, I've seen so far has requested that they want Ermac back lol.

3. Reptile is surprisingly requested very little.

4. These newcomers are being welcomed with open arms.

5. Rain and Sindel end up being the two most requested that are missing from this roster.

I personally couldn't be happier with the roster.

pure.Wasted

I'm honestly really sad to see that Liu Kang isn't one of the "must be in every" game characters anymore.
He is for most people. Don't assume that some TYM posters speak for everyone.

They've been mishandling the character
Disagree, the new Liu Kang is a much better character than the old Liu Kang.

ever since Deception.
Liu Kang hasn't been the protagonist since Deadly Alliance. Although he came pretty close in MK9.

Now he's a fucking henchman.
He was a henchman in ONE game, and that one game ends with him becoming King of the Netherrealm. Overreacting much?

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
Already disappointed that we get Cassie AND Sonya AND Johnny... and now we get Jacqui AND Jax...
Ah well...
I agree, man. I'm tired of these boring ass vanilla characters, who punch, kick and shoot guns. I want the characters to do fancy, hyper-supernatural shit like summoning lightning, turning into smoke, commanding their shadows and so on.

I was really hoping NRS would be bold in a way, where they let characters like the ones you've named sit out a game or two and instead bring back the more stylish characters such as Human Smoke, Rain or Fujin. Instead NRS gets rid of stylish characters such as Reptile, Ermac and others in order to give you more Sonya Blade and Jacqui Briggs. Heh.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
My reasoning for wanting those characters to sit out is very simple. I don’t believe that they are the END ALL be all. I think that it’s perfectly fine with them missing a game. Scorpion, Sub Zero, And Raiden are the 3 characters who should ALWAYS be there no matter what.
IMO, excepting boss characters like Shao Kahn and Goro the primary characters of Mortal Kombat as a 27-year franchise are:

• Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden
  • Liu Kang, Johnny Cage, Kitana, Mileena, Sonya Blade, Jax
  • Kano, Shang Tsung, Kung Lao
  • Reptile, Baraka
Roughly in that order (and ordered within tiers). It's the MK1/MK2 playable cast, arranged from most recognizable to everyday people who aren't MK fans to least recognizable unless you're a fan. In particular, anyone who was in the first Mortal Kombat movie, which was a massive worldwide blockbuster film that is most people's only actual exposure to Mortal Kombat, is iconic to the franchise.

After that, I'd say the following characters are the next tier down:

• Jade, Smoke, Noob Saibot, Cyrax, Sektor, Sindel, Kabal, Nightwolf, Ermac, Kenshi, Quan Chi
Those are all characters it's nice to have, but I'm never super surprised if one of them doesn't make the cut.

Nobody argues Street Fighter should have Guile, Cammy, or Chun-Li sit out because there are 'too many special forces characters'. Those characters are iconic core figures in the franchise and at this point any iteration of the series is going to feature them. MK similarly trafficks in a pop culture brand that is nostalgic and iconic, and if you start dropping the characters most identified with the brand, the general public will lose interest.

We are already seeing Cassie Cage and Kotal Kahn in particular achieve this status with a new generation, btw -- I would be surprised if either of them goes away anytime soon.