What's new

German MK official site accidentally confirms Jax

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
I get what you're saying here, but if you look at this chart I made:

https://privatereferencecg.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_playable_Mortal_Kombat_kharacters

you'll see that the MK1/MK2 cast is pretty consistent across every iteration of the series. (3 here includes UMK3/T and 4 here includes Gold, as they're basically patches/updates of the same game.)
Lovely list. Though, as I'm sure you're aware, the distinction between "TBA" and "NO" in the MK11 column is pretty funky. ;) A lot of those NO's seem more like "80% NO" or "60% NO."

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
Lovely list. Though, as I'm sure you're aware, the distinction between "TBA" and "NO" in the MK11 column is pretty funky. ;)
The NOs are educated guesses subject to change! I've explained them in the thread I did for this chart, a while back, but the gist is:
  • Sektor, Reiko, Mokap, and Havik are mentioned in gear pieces. In IJ2, anyone named in a gear piece who wasn't already on the base roster remained unplayable.
  • Reptile, Cyrax, and Rain have special moves as tower hazards in a gameplay preview video. That meant unplayable in MKX with the exception of Cyrax/Smoke sort of returning as Triborg, who was technically a different person. In IJ2 it meant unplayable across the board.
  • Rain, Tanya, Kenshi, Bo' Rai Cho, and Tremor are previous DLC characters and aren't in the base roster leak. Boon has previously indicated they don't plan to repeat DLC characters. (If Rain is an unlockable secret character per that one rumor, then obviously it wouldn't apply in his case, but at the moment we have no reason to assume that rumor is true.)
  • Goro and Shinnok are dead and/or decapitated in stage backgrounds. I marked Moloch before we saw in the recent Kombat Kast that there are multiple dead oni in Goro's Lair, meaning they're generic oni rather than Moloch specifically. I'll set him back to TBA for now. (It's of course possible Shinnok and/or Goro is playable and they'll disappear from the background, like Kano in the nightclub. We'll see!)

pure.Wasted

The NOs are educated guesses subject to change! I've explained them in the thread I did for this chart, a while back, but the gist is:
  • Sektor, Reiko, Mokap, and Havik are mentioned in gear pieces. In IJ2, anyone named in a gear piece who wasn't already on the base roster remained unplayable.
  • Reptile, Cyrax, and Rain have special moves as tower hazards in a gameplay preview video. That meant unplayable in MKX with the exception of Cyrax/Smoke sort of returning as Triborg, who was technically a different person. In IJ2 it meant unplayable across the board.
  • Rain, Tanya, Kenshi, Bo' Rai Cho, and Tremor are previous DLC characters and aren't in the base roster leak. Boon has previously indicated they don't plan to repeat DLC characters. (If Rain is an unlockable secret character per that one rumor, then obviously it wouldn't apply in his case, but at the moment we have no reason to assume that rumor is true.)
  • Goro and Shinnok are dead and/or decapitated in stage backgrounds. I marked Moloch before we saw in the recent Kombat Kast that there are multiple dead oni in Goro's Lair, meaning they're generic oni rather than Moloch specifically. I'll set him back to TBA for now. (It's of course possible Shinnok and/or Goro is playable and they'll disappear from the background, like Kano in the nightclub. We'll see!)
I see where you're coming from on pretty much everything (namely, precedent), except I disagree with the Sektor/Reiko/Mokap/Havik bit. Since we now have precedent to the contrary. Sub-Zero has gear pieces named after Bi Han.

Now if you really wanted to you could say that technically Bi Han is dead and Noob Saibot is a different character kinda sorta... but that seems like a bit of a stretch. So I'd say we're back to square 1 on that one.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
I see where you're coming from on pretty much everything (namely, precedent), except I disagree with the Sektor/Reiko/Mokap/Havik bit. Since we now have precedent to the contrary. Sub-Zero has gear pieces named after Bi Han.

Now if you really wanted to you could say that technically Bi Han is dead and Noob Saibot is a different character kinda sorta... but that seems like a bit of a stretch. So I'd say we're back to square 1 on that one.
Yeah I'd make the argument that Bi-Han is an exception due to Bi-Han in gameplay terms being an incarnation of Sub-Zero, and Kuai Liang literally inheriting his role -- the others I suspect are homages to missing characters, like in IJ2. If it said 'Noob Saibot's Boots' or whatever I'd agree with you.

pure.Wasted

Yeah I'd make the argument that Bi-Han is an exception due to Bi-Han in gameplay terms being an incarnation of Sub-Zero, and Kuai Liang literally inheriting his role -- the others I suspect are homages to missing characters, like in IJ2. If it said 'Noob Saibot's Boots' or whatever I'd agree with you.
Well, once you get to the point that you have to "make the argument" at all, I'd say that's when it no longer makes sense to have a NO as the answer instead of TBA. But it's not my list so all I can do is irrationally be more peeved than I have any right to. :D

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
Well, once you get to the point that you have to "make the argument" at all, I'd say that's when it no longer makes sense to have a NO as the answer instead of TBA. But it's not my list so all I can do is irrationally be more peeved than I have any right to. :D
hahaha I just like crossing things off as much as I can! It soothes my OCD.

For what it's worth for those interested, here are the stats as they stand now:
  • 11 games (flawless victory): Raiden, Scorpion, Sub-Zero
  • 10 games: Liu Kang
  • 9 games: Johnny Cage, Sonya Blade, Jax, Kitana
  • 8 games: Kano, Baraka, Kung Lao
  • 7 games: Mileena, Reptile
  • 6 games: Shang Tsung, Cyrax, Noob Saibot
  • 5 games: Kabal, Sektor, Smoke, Jade, Ermac, Goro, Shao Kahn, Quan Chi, Kenshi
  • 4 games: Nightwolf, Sindel, Tanya, Bo' Rai Cho
  • 3 games: Sheeva, Stryker, Rain, Shinnok, Frost, Li Mei
  • 2 games: Chameleon, Khameleon, Kintaro, Motaro, Fujin, Jarek, Kai, Meat, Reiko, Blaze, Drahmin, Hsu Hao, Mavado, Mokap, Nitara, Ashrah, Dairou, Darrius, Havik, Hotaru, Kira, Kobra, Shujinko, Cyber Sub-Zero, Skarlet, Cassie Cage, D'Vorah, Erron Black, Jacqui Briggs, Kotal Kahn
  • 1 game: Daegon, Moloch, Sareena, Taven, Ferra/Torr, Kung Jin, Takeda, Tremor, Cetrion, Geras, Kollector

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
This is exciting, cause now that we've seen Jacqui, there's one more roller-coaster loop of:
-UGH THIS CHARACTER?! WHO WANTED THIS BORING GUY HE COULD HAVE SAT OUT.
*trailer gets revealed*
-Not gonna lie, NRS knocked it out of the park this time, I'm actually looking forward to trying them out.
Honestly it’s been super annoying.

Like why do people not have faith in NRS to improve characters and make them more distinct after they’ve continued to show us that’s exactly what they’re doing?

Each passing character reveal has been a character with more dynamic and creative changes than the last, so I’m betting Jax is going to have some major love.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I agree, man. I'm tired of these boring ass vanilla characters, who punch, kick and shoot guns. I want the characters to do fancy, hyper-supernatural shit like summoning lightning, turning into smoke, commanding their shadows and so on.

I was really hoping NRS would be bold in a way, where they let characters like the ones you've named sit out a game or two and instead bring back the more stylish characters such as Human Smoke, Rain or Fujin. Instead NRS gets rid of stylish characters such as Reptile, Ermac and others in order to give you more Sonya Blade and Jacqui Briggs. Heh.
Common sense would dictate that there would be a good split between the two character.

This series has been Magic and Sci-fi since MK3 and they’ve been trying to make it more even since the reboot.

A split between magic vs sci-fi is way cooler than one or the other.

How can you not love a guy with magical arm blades and a guy with huge metal arms beating the shit out of each other? A soul sucking sorcerer getting roundhouse kicked by a cyborg ninja, a giant four armed dragon man tanking bullets, whatever the hell Kabal is vs a lizard man, etc.

It’s part of what makes this series great.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Cautiously optimistic for Jax. Loved everything about his design in MK9, thought he was kinda bland in X, but if current trends continue he'll be awesome again in 11.

Holding out for full-on pro wrestler Jax tho. I want my man hitting package piledrivers on this whole damn roster.
Yeah I’m the same.

He was one of my mains in MK9 but just about all of the stuff I liked about him in that game were gone in X, and while he had some fun stuff for sure, he felt like he got the worse end of the variation system

Like why do people not have faith in NRS to improve characters and make them more distinct after they’ve continued to show us that’s exactly what they’re doing?

Each passing character reveal has been a character with more dynamic and creative changes than the last, so I’m betting Jax is going to have some major love.
We have faith always. But the thing is. We rather see NRS put their creativity into new characters and old characters that we don't see every game like Jax or Sonya. Like give Rain a chance or Havik or Hotaru or Reiko or anyone

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
We have faith always. But the thing is. We rather see NRS put their creativity into new characters and old characters that we don't see every game like Jax or Sonya. Like give Rain a chance or Havik or Hotaru or Reiko or anyone
They have. You’re getting Jade, Kabal, Noob, Frost, Shao, Baraka, Shang, Shinnok, Skarlet, Kotal, Cassie, Jacqui, Geras, D’Vorah, Cetrion, and the Kollector.

That’s a considerable amount of non-mainstays(whether you like them all or not), that’s just about half the roster.

Just because you don’t have everyone you want doesn’t mean they didn’t put in those types of characters, you invalidate the roster whenever a new mainstay is shown.

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
There were 4 characters in this game where I put a big ? before, they were Sonya, Cassie, Jacqui and Jax.

Sonya, spare for her two awesome fatalities, failed me already with her design, voice, moveset.

Cassie, is just cassie, still don't like her behavior, but her intro (without bubblegum) is cool I guess, her fatalities are okish.

Jacqui made me change my mind, I actually like this girl now, this is how you should do a Special Forces character.

Jax, I never actually hated him until MKX, where his chapter is just so annoying and irritating. I think MKX endings in which he dies most of the time and his story about him retiring, would have been perfect to keep him out of MK11 for once. Let me man retire in peace!

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Havik or Hotaru or Reiko or anyone
No no, and no, those characters are not nearly popular enough to make it into a game and that's why they haven't been in one since Armageddon. Most people just want classic legacy characters.

Sonya, spare for her two awesome fatalities, failed me already with her design, voice, moveset.
I agree with the voice, but the moveset ? It looked good to me, my only complaint is the lack of leg grab.

While I like the concept of the first fatality, I think it was poorly executed. The second one is awesome tho.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.

They just want 'their' favorite to get some of the sweet sweet MK11 NRS love. Everything looks amazing this game so I can understand wanting to see more characters get that love. What I don't understand is how you can be a MK fan and then only like 1-2 characters. IMO MK11 currently looks like it has something for everybody.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
Like give Rain a chance or Havik or Hotaru or Reiko or anyone
They don't seem to fit into the current story being told. If NRS go for a Chaosrealm/Orderrealm storyline in future installments, then we may see some of the 3D era characters. I expect Onaga to pop up at some point. Maybe even Shujinko. But for MK11, which is a sequel to MKX, it isn't time for that yet. I think NRS will reboot the series again after this game.

trufenix

bye felicia
I get what you're saying here, but if you look at this chart I made:

https://privatereferencecg.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_playable_Mortal_Kombat_kharacters

you'll see that the MK1/MK2 cast is pretty consistent across every iteration of the series. (3 here includes UMK3/T and 4 here includes Gold, as they're basically patches/updates of the same game.)
Saying Baraka is in MK3 and MK4 is already seriously bending the truth to prove a point. By the same token, you're ignoring the portable ports that added a bunch of characters to DA and De. Nothing concluded from that data is accurate.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
Saying Baraka is in MK3 and MK4 is already seriously bending the truth to prove a point. By the same token, you're ignoring the portable ports that added a bunch of characters to DA and De. Nothing concluded from that data is accurate.
It's really not -- it means MK3 and MK4 were seen as incomplete without him (and others), and further console versions were made to add him (and those others). That's like arguing Juri wasn't in SF4 just because she got added in USF4.

I didn't include the handheld editions because they were not as widely played; noted this in my original post. But that's certainly a data point you could include, in which case Kitana and Jax also have flawless records since their debut in MK2.

I can see them incorporating a bunch of Bane’s Injustice 2 moves into Jax’s moveset. He’s not my kind of character, but I have faith in NRS’s storytelling ability so I’m not bothered by his inclusion. He’s probably going to meet his younger self, pull himself out of the rut he has been in and then die a heroic death.

FunnyMan

Noob
Really hoping they give him some realistic wrestling attacks. Would love a krushing blow where he breaks people's necks with a slick Randleman suplex.