What's new

General discussion Tech/Strategy/Questions

ryublaze

Noob
I'm confused. You have a Reptile avatar, but you play as Scorpion...
Reptile is the only guest character Nintendo was able to sneak into the game after all.
because Reptile isn't red. :p

I was actually thinking about Reptile but I realized that people would hate playing me online due to my lag.

ryublaze

Noob
Hey this looks really useful! I'm going to test this out!
It might work a few times online but I can't see this being that useful in high-level play.

I just went through some more tests and found out that the opponent actually CAN duck the Spear but only if he ducks as soon as he gets up... :/

It might work a few times online but I can't see this being that useful in high-level play.

I just went through some more tests and found out that the opponent actually CAN duck the Spear but only if he ducks as soon as he gets up... :/
You know if you condition your opponent with hellfires or if you see your opponent is spamming wakeup attacks this can be pretty useful (albeit risky). Or maybe you go the whole match without using it and you just throw it out and clutch the victory. Definitely don't want to spam this but its a good trick to have in your bag.

BTW I think this hurts Sektor the most probably, blows up all his wakeups especially EX TU.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
because Reptile isn't red. :p
...but neither is Scorpion o:
The Red Reptile exists, but he breaths fire when he gets a turtle shell in his mouth.
The Blue Reptile gets wings, and the Yellow Reptile has dive kicks that go straight down with no angle (stomps).

Just like Cyber Reptile these are not selectable : (

uhmm, if people know about it, its probably not going to work ever again, but this opens up a very high chance of getting a free hellfire right?

ryublaze

Noob
uhmm, if people know about it, its probably not going to work ever again, but this opens up a very high chance of getting a free hellfire right?
Yeah that's why I said it won't be that useful in high-level play. It does improve your chances of getting Hellfire in certain matchups like vs Kitana. If defensive Scorpion players use Air Throws more in their game, they can start mixing up Spear, Hellfire or Block. For example:

1st Air Throw: Block (you might want to delay a Hellfire to get the opponent jumping)
2nd Air Throw: Block (delayed Hellfire)
3rd Air Throw: Spear (unexpected so it might catch the opponent)
4th Air Throw: Hellfire

err I probably put too much thought into it but I hope it makes sense. A lot of it is mixing up and guessing. Of course, you can just use Hellfire after every Air Throw for consistent damage but Spear has that surprise/high reward factor and can snuff out some wake-up attacks and you don't really lose anything so it's a tool defensive Scorpion players can use.

Tokiwartoothxdk

『T R I G G E R E D』
has anyone ever seen this before because i was just messing around with scorpion in the lab and found you can njp into ex tele, followed by regular tele into spear. your guy's thoughts? and please inform me if someone else has uploaded this before.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
NJP EX Teleport, Teleport, Dash 111~Spear - Vortex does 40% damage for one meter
NJP, Dash B2, Jump Kick~Teleport, Dash 111~Spear - Vortex does 39% for no meter

This is why no one has spoken of it before.
It is a fun setup though. Anything with EX Teleport is really fun usually.

However, if you want a damage increase, you can do
NJP, Dash B2, Jump Kick~EX Teleport, Teleport, Dash 11~Spear - Vortex - 44% damage for one meter

Tokiwartoothxdk

『T R I G G E R E D』
thx dude , i just started with him today and thought that was pretty cool, and thanks for the insight on his other combos

That's some good stuff. I used this strategy a lot, except I'd use a dash forward instead of a dash back, mainly because people wouldn't be expecting a spear after a forward dash. But a lot of the wakeups that the back dash version (i.e. Sektor's ex TU) would still be in their invincible frames in the forward dash version, so I'd get punished by a lot of the wakeups that the spear would hit in the back dash version.

Gonna have to start trying this back dash version next week, especially since the two toughest people I fight against regularly are Sektor and Ermac players. Never thought of using back dash instead for some reason. Probably because I'm retarded.

Ive been doing 11, F2, 1, Takedown in mix ups and even though F2, 1 is slow it seems to have priority similar to KL's spin. Ive noticed that every time someone tries to hit me after 11, the F2, 1 beats it. I dont know what normals can stop it yet. Ive been thinking about linking the spear with it cause of how often it happens but I dont think there's enough time to hit confirm.. All I know is that it's been an effective mix up. I do it maybe one time per fight so that helps.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Personally I press D+B+1 twice.
Wow, what a difference that made. I can do it almost 100% consistent now, as opposed to once out of every 100 tries.

Thanks a bunch for this, Uigi.

Edit: Sorry to bump an old thread, but it truly blew my mind to see how easy it is compared to actually pressing D1 into B, B, 1.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Yea buddy, glad you made this because I didn't know. I'll go for some NJPs now knowing Scorpion trololos people right into a vortex.

Ive been practicing d1 anti cross ups into vortex for about 3 weeks and no worky. Pretty much every time I d1 it doesnt connect and I get full comboed. For one thing, my fighter doesnt turn in the other direction quick enough or it doesnt look like it. I think Ive done it maybe THREE times in 3 weeks. How is it done? What could I be doing wrong?

Being able to virtually shut down cross ups would be a huge advantage. Not being able to is unacceptable to me. I will not let it go.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
hmmm...I don't know much about Scorp's but if you wan't someone to be a test dummy invite me. You seemed to d1 my teleports pretty easy before?

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Well, It's definitely risky and not 100% guaranteed.

I'm speaking as someone who uses the technique in the general meta game, not necessarily as a Scorp user, but I guess the secret isn't much more than practicing it. basically, you need to wait until they are descending on the other side before d1-ing

However, it's important to note that it has a lot to do with not only their trajectory as they pass over your head (the closer they are to you when they cross you up, the easier it is to do) but also the precise timing of both parties. If you're just a hair early, it'll whiff and you get punished, and if you wait to long it'll get stuffed by their jump punch.

Well, It's definitely risky and not 100% guaranteed.

I'm speaking as someone who uses the technique in the general meta game, not necessarily as a Scorp user, but I guess the secret isn't much more than practicing it. basically, you need to wait until they are descending on the other side before d1-ing

However, it's important to note that it has a lot to do with not only their trajectory as they pass over your head (the closer they are to you when they cross you up, the easier it is to do) but also the precise timing of both parties. If you're just a hair early, it'll whiff and you get punished, and if you wait to long it'll get stuffed by their jump punch.
Yea, that's exactly what's been happenning. You cant have the AI do cross ups in practice mode so my player match record isnt gonna look too good.

The d1 anti cross up is only possible at cross ups that give the character the time to change direction, you can tell which cross ups you can counter by looking from where they are jumping and assessing if it's counterable. But I'm just a MK noob so don't put too much value in my opinion.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
If you spam crouch, you'll turn around faster I think...I still do D1~Teleport to crossovers, and I just spam crouch over and over until it's D1 time.