What's new

General discussion Tech/Strategy/Questions

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
In the midst of a vortex there is a great void, a void no one or no thing can get out of. Using Check's new tech, I found a new world of vortex's at Scorpion's disposal. Pretty much after the 2nd spear you do in fact have enough time to to hit with BOTH of Scorp's 50/50 options while your opponent s lying on the ground BEFORE they can do a wake-up attack. Forcing them to guess to block high or low. Check out the vid below. This should move him up quite a few spots in the tier lists. Possibly the new best ninja?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Slipkicks?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/X0KkHyqBhCE

Mickael

Noob
That video was insane. ...I kinda wish this game wasn't so dependent on so many 50/50 guessing games. It sort of takes the skill out of it. actually that's exactly what it does. I had hoped they'd get rid of that high/low bs from their 3D games when they went back to the 2D playing field.
still, great video.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
This is a nice piece of research on your part, Slips. I bow to your findings.

However, I doubt this will move Scorpion up the tier ladder. I mean, this will definitely fuck with the opponent's mind, but it leaves a lot to chance, especially if they guess correctly on what height to block at. The b2 and f4 are very unsafe, as all us Scorpion players know, so if he guesses wrong here comes some punishment.

Still, just the fact that it can snuff out Wake-Ups is a huge plus in my book. I'm gonna practice this up.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
Shouldn't be broken TBH.
Just another way to get a non guaranteed reset.

I don't think he'll be the new, very, very best ninja, but he's certainly not the worst!! : )

Personally I'd rather go for takedown off the f+4 most of the time. Having a safe & less damaging option makes opponents more likely to look for it and not block the more damaging one in clutch situations.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
That video was insane. ...I kinda wish this game wasn't so dependent on so many 50/50 guessing games. It sort of takes the skill out of it. actually that's exactly what it does. I had hoped they'd get rid of that high/low bs from their 3D games when they went back to the 2D playing field.
still, great video.
I'm new to fighting games, but aren't low/overhead mixups present everywhere?

yea soonk, this is another example of people seeing a thing that was bad in 3D MK and assuming it must be bad period.

the problem with 3D MK was that these mixups were generally easy to set up and did way too much damage, so they were the whole focus of the game. that doesn't mean you can't have a few strong 50/50s in a good game!

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Hmmm... Is the full combo character specific? I haven't been able to land the full combo on any character. But when I cut it short by taking out the kick into teleport punch, it works. The full combo has the spear whiff.

Edit: I just managed to get in on Costume 1 Mileena. It's dooable, but there seems to be strict timing to it. You have to input the F+4,3 right at the peak of them falling down from the teleport punch. Otherwise, the spear whiffs, and you get punished hard.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I knew f43 was good for something! GS Slips.

The great part about it is you don't even have to do the 50/50 mixup. d3 will get them to stand immediately and you can go ahead with safer pressure options after that. And the entire combo isn't really all that difficult, so it's very applicable.

This is a really powerful find.

And yes, funkdoc is right. The 3D MKs were littered with ridiculous 50/50s that lead to death and were easy to setup lol (And were every bit as unsafe as Scorp's 50/50s are now). Scorp's mixup game is basically reminiscent of those games, only it takes more than 1 good guess to win a round.

Slips

You can actually use d4 instead of d3 now to pick your opponent up which is even better. So if your feeling more on the safe side instead of his high risk 50/50 it can be substituted with that.

50/50's are good in fighting games. If you ask me, there aren't enough anymore. Fighters like Tekken and SF4 favor the defensive player too much with their recent installments. I like how MK9 forces you to man up when a mistake is made and guess your way out of it if you wanna make up for it.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
You can actually use d4 instead of d3 now to pick your opponent up which is even better. So if your feeling more on the safe side instead of his high risk 50/50 it can be substituted with that.
Have you tried a hellfire or EX hellfire after the 2nd spear? Animation may be too slow. But that'd be safe damage.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
It'd be safe damage, but no actual pressure afterwards since hellfire is disadvantage on hit.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
THTB said:
It'd be safe damage, but no actual pressure afterwards since hellfire is disadvantage on hit.
Remember when the move was like +15 in the 3D MK games? LOL.

Anyway, props to Slips for single-handedly keeping Scorpion tournament viable.

Slips

A hellfire is free actually, but the scaling only does 2%. Exactly like his vortex scales with combos ending in tp. Your better off doing the old combo ending in jk air throw to ex hellfire if your looking for raw damage.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
What I don't like about this, is that I have to leave out the B2 in the initial combo if I want to launch with the B2. Oh well.

I also again, will insist it isn't broken, as it's pretty hard to do 100% of the time. I can get the spear nearly every time, but still not every time, and then the mixup is tight on timing too. So anyone should have respect when someone does this IMHO.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Quick question, can you do this after any 2nd spear in a combo or do you have to end in f4,3 spear? This seems to be really good, cant wait to try it out. That bnb is a much higher damage option which means you don't have to guess right as many times as with the normal vortex. Is there a good reason to use his normal vortex options over this one besides off of a naked teleport?

mingzang

Master of Disaster
This is insane , now Scorpion is the best ninja lol . I can't believe B2 works ! Thank you Slips .

Quick question, can you do this after any 2nd spear in a combo or do you have to end in f4,3 spear? This seems to be really good, cant wait to try it out. That bnb is a much higher damage option which means you don't have to guess right as many times as with the normal vortex. Is there a good reason to use his normal vortex options over this one besides off of a naked teleport?
you can do it after 2nd spear in a combo , don't need have to end in F43 spear .