What's new

Frost General Discussion

MK Led

Umbasa
so im guessing the ps4 version is a patch beind the pc version, because i have both and enahnced microburst does something different on each versiom. Ex MB will just pop the character up on pc, and it will freeze the character on ps4.

is this known? or am i just making a mistake somewhere?
Pretty sure PC isn't patched yet.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
so im guessing either the ps4 version or the pc version is a patch behind the , because i have both and enhanced microburst does something different on each version. Ex MB will just pop the character up on pc, and it will freeze the character on ps4.

is this known? or am i just making a mistake somewhere?
I think I have heard that PC is all kinds of messed up. But yeah the MB was switched to the freeze late last night in a hotfix on console.

Hey guys :) loving frost so far mainly playing her 2nd tournament variation because I'm not great at setups lol. Anyway, I'm having trouble opening people up once they get used to the b3 2 d1 string. Anyone else running into the same sorta issue? Or anyone have any tips for opening people up if this is blocked consistently? Thanks! :)

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Hey guys :) loving frost so far mainly playing her 2nd tournament variation because I'm not great at setups lol. Anyway, I'm having trouble opening people up once they get used to the b3 2 d1 string. Anyone else running into the same sorta issue? Or anyone have any tips for opening people up if this is blocked consistently? Thanks! :)
Yes. Her biggest issue I found so far is her lack of a fast mid. Her only 2 mid starting combos are slow as shit so if someone gets used to her low starter, they can poke her forever and her only combos to punish are high starter so you can just keep getting poked.

Also, her lack of jailing is a serious issue I find. You hit confirm a poke and get 10 frames off a hit confirm but nothing jails. Not even her faster starter (1). I dont get it.

I love her but this is really making it difficult to play her.

Also her Core Overload, which supposedly buffs her damage does no such thing

Yes. Her biggest issue I found so far is her lack of a fast mid. Her only 2 mid starting combos are slow as shit so if someone gets used to her low starter, they can poke her forever and her only combos to punish are high starter so you can just keep getting poked.

Also, her lack of jailing is a serious issue I find. You hit confirm a poke and get 10 frames off a hit confirm but nothing jails. Not even her faster starter (1). I dont get it.

I love her but this is really making it difficult to play her.

Also her Core Overload, which supposedly buffs her damage does no such thing
Yeah bro it's very difficult when someone gets used to that low. I've been trying to use b121 to punish pokes but it hasn't been working out well lol. Sometimes feels like you just get stuck blocking for ages as even if you land a poke theres no move fast enough to capitalise before they poke!

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Yeah bro it's very difficult when someone gets used to that low. I've been trying to use b121 to punish pokes but it hasn't been working out well lol. Sometimes feels like you just get stuck blocking for ages as even if you land a poke theres no move fast enough to capitalise before they poke!
Man tell me about it, its getting frustrating. B1 is too slow to jail so they can poke again.

The only things Im thinking about now as a potential solution, emphasis on potential, is maybe doing a quick hop+overhead after blocking their poke. Theoretically speaking, that would make you hop over their second poke (which would be slower since you blocked the first) and the overhead would knock them down immediately.

Havent tested it out yet but I can't think of anything else. I dont know what other ppl have found but im very curious

Man tell me about it, its getting frustrating. B1 is too slow to jail so they can poke again.

The only things Im thinking about now as a potential solution, emphasis on potential, is maybe doing a quick hop+overhead after blocking their poke. Theoretically speaking, that would make you hop over their second poke (which would be slower since you blocked the first) and the overhead would knock them down immediately.

Havent tested it out yet but I can't think of anything else. I dont know what other ppl have found but im very curious
Yeah man short hops seem like they will be very useful for her espacially as her main starter is low so the short hips will hopefully keep opponents respectful and block standing sometimes allowing for more lows to hit. It's taking me a while to get used to short hops though which is the only problem for me! how did you find trying to combo after a krushing blow hit on b2212 or bf4 hit?

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Yeah man short hops seem like they will be very useful for her espacially as her main starter is low so the short hips will hopefully keep opponents respectful and block standing sometimes allowing for more lows to hit. It's taking me a while to get used to short hops though which is the only problem for me!
The main problem I see with my short hop idea is that if you block their poke but they decide to start a combo string that's relatively fast, it can potentially knock you out of the air.
The way I see the different situations is like this:
  • Poke 1 is blocked > you try to go for pressure > Poke 2 will hit you & they start pressure > you're fucked
  • Poke 1 is blocked > they go for Poke 2 > you hop+OH, which stops them but no combos or pressure comes from it.
  • Poke 1 is blocked > you think they'll do Poke 2 > you hop+OH > but they go for pressure instead > you're fucked
  • Poke 1 is blocked > both go for pressure & your S1 is faster > BUT shit range so if it whiffs > you're fucked
  • Poke 1 is blocked > you poke back and hit confirm > try to go for pressure, but nothing jails so they poke you back
Basically, high chances of losing up-close confrontations like these. You're getting fucked no matter how you slice it lol Im still gonna experiment....we might be missing something here (I hope)

how did you find trying to combo after a krushing blow hit on b2212 or bf4 hit?
In the variation I currently use, BF4 is the huge advancing overhead axe move so I can't do a KB with it. Havnt tested out the main variations yet but I think I will settle on the Bomb variation.

As for KB after B2212......basically, in midscreen, the only move I found that actually hits the opponent after the pop up is a B2, which doesnt even let you complete the string lol. Nothing else. You can link B2 with fatal blow but thats it. So her options here seem like trash. In the corner, it's more viable. It feels like a fairly useless KB in midscreen

The main problem I see with my short hop idea is that if you block their poke but they decide to start a combo string that's relatively fast, it can potentially knock you out of the air.
The way I see the different situations is like this:
  • Poke 1 is blocked > you try to go for pressure > Poke 2 will hit you & they start pressure > you're fucked
  • Poke 1 is blocked > they go for Poke 2 > you hop+OH, which stops them but no combos or pressure comes from it.
  • Poke 1 is blocked > you think they'll do Poke 2 > you hop+OH > but they go for pressure instead > you're fucked
  • Poke 1 is blocked > both go for pressure & your S1 is faster > BUT shit range so if it whiffs > you're fucked
  • Poke 1 is blocked > you poke back and hit confirm > try to go for pressure, but nothing jails so they poke you back
Basically, high chances of losing up-close confrontations like these. You're getting fucked no matter how you slice it lol Im still gonna experiment....we might be missing something here (I hope)

In the variation I currently use, BF4 is the huge advancing overhead axe move so I can't do a KB with it. Havnt tested out the main variations yet but I think I will settle on the Bomb variation.

As for KB after B2212......basically, in midscreen, the only move I found that actually hits the opponent after the pop up is a B2, which doesnt even let you complete the string lol. Nothing else. You can link B2 with fatal blow but thats it. So her options here seem like trash. In the corner, it's more viable. It feels like a fairly useless KB in midscreen
I think the whole point of the short hop is that you can start a string after hitting the short hop overhead. At least at this point you get the most options. After a knockdown from a short hop you're able to at the least try for a hit confirmable string and at the worst your string is blocked and your back to square one in a poke war. The only issue is that the payoff from the short hop landing is minimal as you dont guarantee more than a string. whereas if the short hop is blocked or you're hit out of it like you said bro. You're fucked Haha!

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I wanted to say the bomb but it definitely doesnt feel like MKX CSZ bombs. I wish they kept the same controller scheme for close (db2), mid (dd2), and far (df2). Now they have close, far and extra far....I dont get the extra far

DSLow

Noob
They added "extra far" for memes and to fk your inputs probably.
I thought bombs setups might be something to work with, but they' mid. Overheads are reactable and basically you block low and when you see she goes for overhead string - block mid.
Idk. I'm not sure bomb is good.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Love her new design, I prefer her other skins though. NRS' did their take on the "robot girl" archetype.(Tekken's Alisa, Persona's Aegis, etc.)

Frost-Byte is where it's at. I'm not sure if her head bomb will be very useful for setups though, it rolls to far past the corner... Could be a very strong neutral tool though. If you get hit you are eating some damage. I think this type of tool in neutral is much stronger in a game like this then MKX.

Last edited:

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
What are your current thoughts on Frost's competitive variations, and her as a character? For example, where do you (as of this moment) think she excels, what are her weaknesses, and are there any changes you think she needs or you'd like to see?

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I think the whole point of the short hop is that you can start a string after hitting the short hop overhead. At least at this point you get the most options. After a knockdown from a short hop you're able to at the least try for a hit confirmable string and at the worst your string is blocked and your back to square one in a poke war. The only issue is that the payoff from the short hop landing is minimal as you dont guarantee more than a string. whereas if the short hop is blocked or you're hit out of it like you said bro. You're fucked Haha!
Brooo I found a way!!!
Ok so the hop overhead, totally useless in this situation.

Funny enough, her B2 punishes a non-stop poking player because she actually backs up a little bit.
BUT
even funnier, is that it only works consistently if you stance is facing the same way as your opponent because it means you're a little further apart then when you have the opposite stance!

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
What are your current thoughts on Frost's competitive variations, and her as a character? For example, where do you (as of this moment) think she excels, what are her weaknesses, and are there any changes you think she needs or you'd like to see?
PROS:
  • Her range
  • Her dmg is decent
  • Her tools are good for the most part
CONS
  • Her frames suck. Her fastest poke is 9f. And when she confirms the poke, shes at a 10f advantage but most of her strings are high so the opponent can just poke back or her mids are too slow to jail. Shes punishable on all strings that can have a KB combo or a pop up (although I think that's by design).
  • Her Bomb, so far is pretty bad IMO. It only freezes in specific situation and has a small vertical range. In MKX, you can throw a bomb, jump in kick and the opponent would be frozen in the air. Now, he has to be very close to the ground on the way down. Also the lack of a OH starter means that her setups are hard since ppl just block low. And if you throw a bomb in the corner and grab them, that doesnt work either. If you do throw a bomb across the map, theres no way to get to them fast enough to capitalize since movement is so slow. In a perferct world, you would have the Dive kick equipped but its not a tourney variation. Basically her bomb setups, SO FAR, dont really seem difficult for opponents to block, but it does keep them on their toes.
  • The lack of an OH starter makes me sad (but again I understand they want to avoid that so its fine)
I still love her and Im still labbing her so who knows, all of my cons might dissapear as we get more familiar with the game

WeaponQ

Milksteak, Magnets, and Ghouls
She's got high potential. She's got some great footsie tools in b3, b1, and b2. However, they're all super slow and she struggles against rush down. Her best Mid is 16 frames. She is relatively safe since she can cancel most of her strings into DF2 which is -4 on block. Her zoning is average.

I would love to see her get either a faster poke or faster b3 or b1 because as of right now, theres really nothing you can do once someone gets in your face.

Last edited:

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
CONS
  • Her frames suck. Her fastest poke is 9f. And when she confirms the poke, shes at a 10f advantage but most of her strings are high so the opponent can just poke back or her mids are too slow to jail.
Don't be afraid to use her sweep, it's 12 frame startup that is only -6 on block with some pushback. Lows are basically mids but better. And not every character has a 6 frame normal so you could definitely use B1 and B3 in a lot of matchups. And while we're at it, she has good range on d1 and with the walk speeds of MK11, you can do more than just go into pressure.

Brooo I found a way!!!
Ok so the hop overhead, totally useless in this situation.

Funny enough, her B2 punishes a non-stop poking player because she actually backs up a little bit.
BUT
even funnier, is that it only works consistently if you stance is facing the same way as your opponent because it means you're a little further apart then when you have the opposite stance!
Haha sounds crazy bro! will definitely give this a try later on sounds like it could be big in helping her punish poke pressure!