What's new

For Those Who Like To Write

Did Pirates ever run into ninja or samurai? I know the latter were prevalent in the 1600s. Sure there were pirates out there. I think Tenchu 1 had such a battle.

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
Did Pirates ever run into ninja or samurai? I know the latter were prevalent in the 1600s. Sure there were pirates out there. I think Tenchu 1 had such a battle.
I'm sure pirates ran into something similar to samurai and there were Japanese pirates. But I don't think is are many recorded encounters between what we typically think of with pirates (British) and samurai (Japanese). For the most part, Japan was more or less like Hawaii - an island out in the middle of the ocean with very little interference from the outside world. The East Indian Trade Company did most of its work with India, China and other easily accessible mainland countries. Still, from what I recall about history, Japan/China were the first ones to really make sailing prevalent. Italy and Spain picked it up. Then the British Empire mastered it. So if both of them were sailing and exploring around that time, there would have had to be some type of encounter be it friendly or otherwise. My thinking, however, is that there was nothing being made in Japan that the East Indian Trade Company was particularly interested in. China had silk, gems and jewelry, rice, livestock, cannabis, new ways to work with fire... etc. Also by that time they had been invaded by the Mongols, had control over most of Eastern Europe and Mid-Asia and had run through about 30 other dynasties, so they probably had more cultural development since they were influenced by some many other nations.

AeroGrunt

Stay Puft
I've done some writing myself, only screenplays though. I make 0 budget short films so I'm really limited in what I can write since I need to have everything in the story available without any cost. I'm limited to a few genres, for example I cant write sci-fi because of the cost to make one. I like the film making part more than the actual writing, but I do enjoy writing too. I've finished two screenplays for short films, a horror short (ended up really bad, first thing I ever wrote) and a super cheesy spaghetti western (intended to be cheesy but it lacks imagination). Everything I write ends up being super generic and cliche, do I just suck or should I keep writing?

Writing is pretty time consuming. Often I wonder where hours went after writing 2 or 3 pages sometimes. I really think it depends on how much it's interfering with your life. I'd say.....if you enjoy it and aren't expecting much except entertaining yourself, then keep writing. But, if months and years are going by, and with all of your effort you still can't make anything worthwhile, maybe try something else, especially if you're trying to make money. my opinion.

i don't have a good answer i think, but i've heard and read many times, that if you fight the fight long enough, things will eventually turn around for you. sheer willpower and working on your craft just may be enough.

i'll probably try to write up to 3 more novels to see if i can get published. if i can't, i'm finished. no regrets.

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
If only I would have found this thread sooner. I spend a lot of time writing, mostly in terms of science fiction and horror. Free verse poetry is probably where I shine most as a writer, however I tinker in other areas like sonnets and haikus. To be honest, I am in the processes or writing a "poetic" guide to Raven :)

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I know a lot of people who want to be writers, and while I support them 100% I myself treat it as a hobby and any success I may have from there is just a bonus.

I suggest having a back-up plan for whatever you are pursuing though, my .02$

What does everyone think about when using - he said, she said VS something like he yelled or she proclaimed? What's your opinion? I'm thinking said then using some action that the reader will have to analyze to determine the emotion. Thoughts on this?

Zoidberg747

What does everyone think about when using - he said, she said VS something like he yelled or she proclaimed? What's your opinion? I'm thinking said then using some action that the reader will have to analyze to determine the emotion. Thoughts on this?
I kind of dont do either. I think it flows better when you have lines of quotes that arent muddled with he said/she said. UNLESS it goes like this "She said that she does not like turtles" instead of" I don't like turtles" she said.

You just have to make sure that you write the dialogue so that the reader can tell who is speaking.

JMO, I certainly am no expert.

Zoidberg747

Ththuvhul I started Blue Shift, got the intro and prologue read. I like your style of writing, it is kind of psychadelic. Ill read more when I have time.

Also just a general question for everyone: Do you think it is better to start writing a full-blown novel, or just writing short stories?

Zoidberg747

Man it is hard to write fluff. I know the main points of what I want to happen but just cannot add in fluff.

Writing is harder than I thought, heh

AeroGrunt

Stay Puft
For anyone whos up for a challenge.

Write me a screenplay for a short film. There are plenty of videos online that help you figure out how a screenplay differs from a normal novel. Probably the most important thing is the format. This video explains it pretty well, but in my opinion the best way to learn how to write a screenplay is by reading them. Read the screenplay of your favorite film and pay attention to how it's written.

A screenwriting program is also necessary to have, makes the work much faster. I use Final Draft myself but a good free screenwriting program is Celtx, you can get it for free on their website https://www.celtx.com/index.html

So far it sounds too easy, so I'm gonna add extra challenges. Now, if you just want to write one for fun and not as a challenge go right on ahead, I'll be happy to read you guys' screenplays anyway. If you however write it with the challenges in mind, I might make it into a short film if the writer is OK with it.

Here are the challenges:
- No dialogue (I'm Finnish, none of my actors want to do dialogue in English. I could translate the dialogue into Finnish but it probably wouldn't sound as good as it does in English.)
- Try not to go crazy with props or obscure locations in the story (I make my films independently so I'm on a 0 euro budget, I can't afford to buy much props or pay people to shoot in locations. I have access to about 3 different houses, a cabin, a shooting range, a few barns, plenty of forests and a very small office space. If you need to know any more please ask. As far as props go, I can get a few swords and guns. Again, for more details please ask.)
- Keep it short, around 5-25 pages sounds good (In screenplays one page is usually one minute, just keep it within reason and don't make it crazy long.)

That's pretty much it. I know you guys are really limited if you're gonna take the challenge, but that's how I have to write, for the same reasons as I mentioned above. If you have any further questions please ask. :)

Zoidberg747

For anyone whos up for a challenge.

Write me a screenplay for a short film. There are plenty of videos online that help you figure out how a screenplay differs from a normal novel. Probably the most important thing is the format. This video explains it pretty well, but in my opinion the best way to learn how to write a screenplay is by reading them. Read the screenplay of your favorite film and pay attention to how it's written.

A screenwriting program is also necessary to have, makes the work much faster. I use Final Draft myself but a good free screenwriting program is Celtx, you can get it for free on their website https://www.celtx.com/index.html

So far it sounds too easy, so I'm gonna add extra challenges. Now, if you just want to write one for fun and not as a challenge go right on ahead, I'll be happy to read you guys' screenplays anyway. If you however write it with the challenges in mind, I might make it into a short film if the writer is OK with it.

Here are the challenges:
- No dialogue (I'm Finnish, none of my actors want to do dialogue in English. I could translate the dialogue into Finnish but it probably wouldn't sound as good as it does in English.)
- Try not to go crazy with props or obscure locations in the story (I make my films independently so I'm on a 0 euro budget, I can't afford to buy much props or pay people to shoot in locations. I have access to about 3 different houses, a cabin, a shooting range, a few barns, plenty of forests and a very small office space. If you need to know any more please ask. As far as props go, I can get a few swords and guns. Again, for more details please ask.)
- Keep it short, around 5-25 pages sounds good (In screenplays one page is usually one minute, just keep it within reason and don't make it crazy long.)

That's pretty much it. I know you guys are really limited if you're gonna take the challenge, but that's how I have to write, for the same reasons as I mentioned above. If you have any further questions please ask. :)
Hrmmm, I might take this challenge.

I have been meaning to write short horror stories, If I wrote a horror screenplay would you have the ability to make it?

(In other words what kind of movie do you want it to be)

AeroGrunt

Stay Puft
Hrmmm, I might take this challenge.

I have been meaning to write short horror stories, If I wrote a horror screenplay would you have the ability to make it?

(In other words what kind of movie do you want it to be)
Hell yes, I'm a huge fan of 70-80s horror films. I've been wanting to try and create some gory effects for a long time but never got around to doing it yet. If you're going to write a monster into it please keep the budget in mind, unfortunately I can't have any window breaking, door ripping or anything like that. Also I don't have the skills to create a monster in CGI or make a puppet.