For Those Who Like To Write

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Dyzvhtynzal, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Dyzvhtynzal

Dyzvhtynzal Top Kontributor
    Top Kontributor

Are there any writers here? Published or not......doesn't matter. Just lookin to see if we can start something here.......maybe exchange ideas on material. I like to write fantasy fiction. Talk to me.

2. Rokinlobster

Rokinlobster Nightwolf of the galaxy

Im no writer, but I am a reader. If. I could give you tips from My favorite stories they all have involved a tale of a singular entity, rarely straying into other characters thoughts or motivations. "A day in the life of Ivan Denisovich" is a great example, as is "How much Land does a man need"
    On the other spectrum, introducing dozens of characters is another favorite style of mine, such as Anna karanin, and 100 years of solitude.

Most important, and shared by members of both of these is a consistent chronological order of events, that take place in an obvious and clear time frame. (Hence why 100 years of solitude, and A day in the life of Ivan Denisovich are so damn good.)

Desperdicio and Dyzvhtynzal like this.
  3. Dyzvhtynzal

Top Kontributor

Thanks for replying. I have a book online. Needs work, but, it's a start. It's called Descending Shade. It has problems. I gave up after my first rejection slip. Writing something I hope is better now.......Thanks for showing some interest though......everyone has something good to offer this world. Challenge is finding what that is.

4. Dyzvhtynzal

Top Kontributor

I'll look into your suggestions. Thanks.

5. miloPKL

miloPKL soundcloud.com/pukelization

why was your submission rejected

6. Dyzvhtynzal

Top Kontributor

It failed to gather interest. I published it on Amazon just to get closure. I have to think better now.

KIllaByte likes this.
  7. MKB

MKB Retired Gatekeeper
    Forum General

PSN:
    MKillBill
    Steam:
    MKillBill
    Moving this to the appropriate forum.

8. Dyzvhtynzal

Top Kontributor

Sorry MKillBill.

Actually, this is what the letter said..

Thank you for submitting "Descending Shade," but I'm going to pass on it. The story couldn't grab my interest, I'm afraid. Good luck to you with this one, and thanks for sending it our way.

The assistant editor signed it then.

x5iVE_STAR likes this.
  9. LesMore

LesMore Brooklyn Brawler of the community...

XBL:
    xLESMOREx
    thats alot more than most people get from an editior... I would not give up if I were you..

Johnny Kahl and Fromundaman like this.
  10. MKB

MKB Retired Gatekeeper
    Forum General

PSN:
    MKillBill
    Steam:
    MKillBill
    Just call me Bill unless you are trying to tag me, in which case use the @ symbol before my name.

11. Euphoric

Euphoric MKX
    Premium Supporter

I wrote for GameNation's Branch for Gears of War, (GoWNation) before it shut down.

I think I can write fiction well too.

12. Dyzvhtynzal

Top Kontributor

If I knew how, I'd post the entire thing right here for people to rip apart.

13. Dyzvhtynzal

Top Kontributor

Karried
    That's cool. You still write?

14. Rokinlobster

Rokinlobster Nightwolf of the galaxy

Maybe look into printing a few copies your self and see if a local used book store would be willing to sell them (ill be pretty amazed if they dont)

Also, dont give up, send it to every publisher, film maker, what the hell ever you can think of. Send it to them all 5 times.

Also, consider a title change. I don't think it is bad at all but it is the same as actors changing their names. People say don't judge a book by it's cover, but usually the title is on the spine.

KIllaByte and Dyzvhtynzal like this.
  15. Euphoric

Euphoric MKX
    Premium Supporter

I prolly can ya.

16. Dyzvhtynzal

Top Kontributor

Rokinlobster
    Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll try those things.

17. CYracks

CYracks Command Grabber

Any relation to this?
    http://www.amazon.com/Descending-Shade-Bobby-Baneravage/dp/1478354925

18. Lazoruz

Lazoruz Closer to the coffin, but still kicking..!

I've written an entire RPG table top game book before but cant get it published.

Flamelurkr, JLG and Dyzvhtynzal like this.
  19. Dyzvhtynzal

Top Kontributor

20. Dyzvhtynzal

Top Kontributor

I think MKillBill writes game guides too.

21. totheark

totheark Shazzy's Senpai

Steam:
    johnnysan
    I've written a bunch of treatments; only one which has actually been written into a script.
    Starting on my second one right now.

Screenplays are my thing. Everything else is a chore for me.

Dyzvhtynzal likes this.
  22. Dyzvhtynzal

Top Kontributor

To market my book I'm gonna parachute drop 1000 copies over the superbowl from a helicopter. After I'm shot out of the sky people will know my name. lol. It's that or start my own publishing company.

Jelan likes this.
  23. Dyzvhtynzal

Top Kontributor

I like to write about women destroying men then taking over the world. My next novella......

rurounikenshin likes this.
  24. MKB

MKB Retired Gatekeeper
    Forum General

PSN:
    MKillBill
    Steam:
    MKillBill
    I have written a guide for Call of Duty Black Ops 1 - Dead Ops Arcade. It's posted on several websites; most notably GameFAQs.

Ththuvhul, updated post with my link

25. LanceMonsoon

LanceMonsoon All in on Johnny Football

I love to read and write. I actually gotta scholarship to Widener for The Creative Writing program but turned it down, because I don't know what I'd do with it in the real world lol. I still write a lot and have been working on books in between my school work and real work. I hope to get a novel published one day. It's a dream of mine I've had since I was like 10.

Sage Leviathan and Dyzvhtynzal like this.