What's new

For Honor

Except it's not. I don't think you understand how 60fps affects responsiveness in video games. It's not about looking better or smoother. It's about your character doing what you want it to do as soon as possible of when you do it. In games where quick reactions is a skill factor, this is important. Otherwise, might as well do FGC events online using MK Deception netplay.

This is kind of true but if the turnout for For Honor is low, it wouldn't hurt to just have 2 PCs. Minimum specs for FH is very low anyway.

Another solution is if Ubi decides to sacrifice visual fidelity in exchange for solid 60fps on consoles like what all other fighters do. Then budget wouldn't be an issue anymore
Thats the thing though. In for honor 16ms is not important its not like these moves are on the boarder of reactable these are 500ms moves we are talking about. 16ms in this game is nothing where everything is already super slow.

Reactions: GAV

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Thats the thing though. In for honor 16ms is not important its not like these moves are on the boarder of reactable these are 500ms moves we are talking about. 16ms in this game is nothing where everything is already super slow.
You're saying it like the console versions run in 60fps with a 1frame input delay. That is not the same thing as a game that runs in 30. There are already other factors that come into play that causes input delay: monitors/tv,controller types, online connection, netcode that 1 frame in any game does not matter. But because the display rate of what's happening in-game is half that of PC's, the game's responsiveness suffers exponentially. It's not something to be explained or seen. Best way to experience it first-hand is to play Dark Souls 1 on PC with DSfix where you can switch between 30 and 60fps modes and you'll notice a big difference in responsiveness. If something like SFV or MKX had a 30fps mode, you'd play it and mistime everything 'til you readjust to the 30fps display. It would feel very clunky

You're saying it like the console versions run in 60fps with a 1frame input delay. That is not the same thing as a game that runs in 30. There are already other factors that come into play that causes input delay: monitors/tv,controller types, online connection, netcode that 1 frame in any game does not matter. But because the display rate of what's happening in-game is half that of PC's, the game's responsiveness suffers exponentially. It's not something to be explained or seen. Best way to experience it first-hand is to play Dark Souls 1 on PC with DSfix where you can switch between 30 and 60fps modes and you'll notice a big difference in responsiveness. If something like SFV or MKX had a 30fps mode, you'd play it and mistime everything 'til you readjust to the 30fps display. It would feel very clunky
"monitors/tv,controller types, online connection"
All can be fixed
"But because the display rate of what's happening in-game is half that of PC's"
Again with this buzzword half, double of one is a lot less than double of a thousand, say it like how it is a 16ms difference between 60fps and 30fps which is not even a frame.

"If something like SFV or MKX had a 30fps mode, you'd play it and mistime everything 'til you readjust to the 30fps display."
Again this game is completely different because the moves are much slower and you dont need as precise inputs. 16ms will not effect this game like how it would effect other fighters. If you can react in 290ms consistently than youll have no problem blocking a 500ms attack even if there is a 16ms difference.

All I know is I have no problem reacting to anything on console when the connection is solid. But the connection isn't always solid, and that is when I rage.
yes online lag can effect the moves a lot. I recorded a game because i felt like some of my opponents attacks were coming out really fast and it turns out they were. The previous 15 frame moves were coming out at 11 and 10 frames.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
"monitors/tv,controller types, online connection"
All can be fixed
"But because the display rate of what's happening in-game is half that of PC's"
Again with this buzzword half, double of one is a lot less than double of a thousand, say it like how it is a 16ms difference between 60fps and 30fps which is not even a frame.

"If something like SFV or MKX had a 30fps mode, you'd play it and mistime everything 'til you readjust to the 30fps display."
Again this game is completely different because the moves are much slower and you dont need as precise inputs. 16ms will not effect this game like how it would effect other fighters. If you can react in 290ms consistently than youll have no problem blocking a 500ms attack even if there is a 16ms difference.
"All can be fixed".
No they can't. Because unless you discovered technology that transmits electric pulses at lightspeed, there will always be delay in any game.

Also, what are you on about with "double of one is a lot less than double of a thousand, say it like how it is a 16ms difference between 60fps and 30fps which is not even a frame."? I don't think you understand how framerate works.

"Again this game is completely different because the moves are much slower and you dont need as precise inputs." It's not about precision it's about responsiveness.

Also speed is not the only factor in making something reactable or not. Animation is a more important teller when it comes to making something reactable. Example: in a 60fps game, a move can have a 10f start-up but if the start-up animation is very telling, it'll be easy to react to. On the other hand, a move can have a 26f start-up but if you only see the last 6f of the start-up animation, it'll be harder to react to. This already happens in NRS games in mix-ups that have similar animations.

How does that come into play in a 60fps vs 30fps context? Well in 60fps you have more frames of animation to react to whereas in 30, you have half the animation frames to see.

Just take this image as an example:

They're all moving at the same speed, yes. But because the 50fps updates the display more frequently, you see the progress of the red line in more detail.

Although I agree with you that a lot of games really do not require 60fps, in a competitive game like For Honor, it's required to better display the skill gap between 2 players.

But I also agree with @Juggs that money could be an issue for TOs if For Honor ever becomes a main even game type thing. But I personally don't think that will happen.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Anyone new to this thread, check out rooflemonger's YouTube. His videos are short and drop 4H science.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
For everyone on the 30 fps vs 60 fps and console vs PC differences. Higher frame rate does decrease input lag.

This video is for overwatch, but basically explains everything you need to know.

TL;DW, expect twice as much input delay on the console versions compared to PC with v-sync disabled. The 30 fps limit will make it way less responsive then even this example as well. By responsive, yes I mean input lag, not just visually.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Let me know if yall can see this video

Just a standard 4v4 elimination. I literally played it super simple against these high level 108's, and they got rekt. I probably guardbroke into heavy 30 times the whole match, lol. It was actually close though because of my teammates, then two of my teammates quit.

My question is when should I use the catapult? I think it only worked once when I did it but I could have killed him normally anyway. I also realize I was making some mistakes but wasn't expecting them to be as "bad" and was expecting feints and stuff but just kept getting hit by dumb stuff. The only good thing they were doing was avoiding the vortex so I just kept GB'ing into heavy, lolz

Also in the 2nd round, how did the Warden GB into heavy while he was out of stamina? Is that a thing or lag?

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
So who in here is gonna drop for honor as soon as inj2 comes ????
It's an entirely different game. For Honor is an entirely different experience than any other fighter. I'll probably focus heavily on INJ2 when that drops, but I have a friend who I really enjoy playing FH with, so I won't be dropping it. I am also picking up Tekken 7 when that releases in June, so I'll be switching between For Honor, Injustice 2 and Tekken 7. I'll most likely play Injustice 2 the most, though.

That is, of course.....Ubisoft fixes the servers/matchmaking. It's killing my love for the game. If they don't fix them by the time INJ2 drops, I will indeed drop For Honor.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
It's an entirely different game. For Honor is an entirely different experience than any other fighter. I'll probably focus heavily on INJ2 when that drops, but I have a friend who I really enjoy playing FH with, so I won't be dropping it. I am also picking up Tekken 7 when that releases in June, so I'll be switching between For Honor, Injustice 2 and Tekken 7. I'll most likely play Injustice 2 the most, though.

That is, of course.....Ubisoft fixes the servers/matchmaking. It's killing my love for the game. If they don't fix them by the time INJ2 drops, I will indeed drop For Honor.
For Honor is a lot more fun than Inj2 imo. Might hardly play inj2 honestly

Let me know if yall can see this video

Just a standard 4v4 elimination. I literally played it super simple against these high level 108's, and they got rekt. I probably guardbroke into heavy 30 times the whole match, lol. It was actually close though because of my teammates, then two of my teammates quit.

My question is when should I use the catapult? I think it only worked once when I did it but I could have killed him normally anyway. I also realize I was making some mistakes but wasn't expecting them to be as "bad" and was expecting feints and stuff but just kept getting hit by dumb stuff. The only good thing they were doing was avoiding the vortex so I just kept GB'ing into heavy, lolz

Also in the 2nd round, how did the Warden GB into heavy while he was out of stamina? Is that a thing or lag?
Nice had a similar match last night 3 108 orochis and 1 PK vs. my team of grey geared players and me (95). I expected to lose but we won they blamed me playing OP PK despite them having a PK on their team. Just goes to show gearscore and rep have no bearing on actual skill. In your video you got some free guard breaks from either dumb heavies they threw at you that got parried or them not counter guard breaking which is pretty sad given the amount of time they've clearly played. Another thing I noticed is you were in 2v1 situations and they were just mashing giving you free revenge. If you are in a 2v1 and on the side of 2 never mash, use your advantage anytime the 1 try's to guardbreak nail him with a free attack, anytime he throws a heavy nail him with an attack, absolutely do not attack him when he's idle blocking let the focused target carry on with a normal duel and just exploit the open defense whenever the 1 side tries to do anything. Also if you do give them revenge, just run until it runs out, then repeat the process. If done correctly you should never lose in a 2v1 when you're on the 2 side.

Anyways, great job those underdog matches are always fun. I noticed you never let them guard break you for free and you typically used the appropriate punish given their actions.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Nice had a similar match last night 3 108 orochis and 1 PK vs. my team of grey geared players and me (95). I expected to lose but we won they blamed me playing OP PK despite them having a PK on their team. Just goes to show gearscore and rep have no bearing on actual skill. In your video you got some free guard breaks from either dumb heavies they threw at you that got parried or them not counter guard breaking which is pretty sad given the amount of time they've clearly played. Another thing I noticed is you were in 2v1 situations and they were just mashing giving you free revenge. If you are in a 2v1 and on the side of 2 never mash, use your advantage anytime the 1 try's to guardbreak nail him with a free attack, anytime he throws a heavy nail him with an attack, absolutely do not attack him when he's idle blocking let the focused target carry on with a normal duel and just exploit the open defense whenever the 1 side tries to do anything. Also if you do give them revenge, just run until it runs out, then repeat the process. If done correctly you should never lose in a 2v1 when you're on the 2 side.

Anyways, great job those underdog matches are always fun. I noticed you never let them guard break you for free and you typically used the appropriate punish given their actions.
Thanks for the feedback man! Yeah, I've practiced guardbreak teching so much they really have to mix me up to actually land a guardbreak on me, unless it's a punish or there's lag.

My build thrives on revenge and I can nearly one shot people with a heavy attack in revenge, which I kinda did in this video on I believe the Kensei when I top heavy'd him when he had almost full health. The build is designed basically to go in solo and face 2 to 3v1 scenarios.

Yeah I was expecting a much tougher fight given their rep and gear score. But as you said that doesn't equate to skill.

Really appreciate you taking the time to watch and give me pointers, thanks dude.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Thanks for the feedback man! Yeah, I've practiced guardbreak teching so much they really have to mix me up to actually land a guardbreak on me, unless it's a punish or there's lag.

My build thrives on revenge and I can nearly one shot people with a heavy attack in revenge, which I kinda did in this video on I believe the Kensei when I top heavy'd him when he had almost full health. The build is designed basically to go in solo and face 2 to 3v1 scenarios.

Yeah I was expecting a much tougher fight given their rep and gear score. But as you said that doesn't equate to skill.

Really appreciate you taking the time to watch and give me pointers, thanks dude.
Also I usually don't attempt raw guardbreaks that much but literally none of them were teching it. So I said fuck it and kept doing it, lol.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
For Honor is a lot more fun than Inj2 imo. Might hardly play inj2 honestly
I can see how many would feel the same. For Honor is something fresh.

I played the closed beta and wasn't sold on it. Upon watching some streams I gained more interest. Once I saw a high level Shugoki, I decided to just go out and buy the game. I had no idea the characters could be so unique and different from one another.

I enjoy For Honor so much now that I've hardly touched Horizon Zero Dawn (which is an incredible game). I just can't seem to stop myself from firing up the game and leveling up my two mains. Once you begin to get a hold on a character it's incredibly satisfying. My Valkyrie is finally starting to click with me.