What's new

For Honor

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I'm on PC. I would not play any fighting game at less than 60 FPS. Fighting games are about reacting and punishing in small windows I don't see how people enjoy so much input delay you have in a 30 FPS experience, I'd find it utterly frustrating. Because of that I completely sympathize with console players who struggle with the speed of PK's lights, that must be a miserable experience.
The react time is the exact same, it's just visually smoother in 60fps.

Reactions: GAV

Red Hood MKX

Mercenary dog
I'm on PC. I would not play any fighting game at less than 60 FPS. Fighting games are about reacting and punishing in small windows I don't see how people enjoy so much input delay you have in a 30 FPS experience, I'd find it utterly frustrating. Because of that I completely sympathize with console players who struggle with the speed of PK's lights, that must be a miserable experience.

I find it really hard to block pk consistently maybe it has something to do with playing on console i don't know but that character has a 3 way 50/50 lol

Unfortunately this is not true. FPS has a significant effect on input lag. This is scientifically provable. a 60 hz monitor running at 60 FPS has a minimum theoretical input lag of 17ms, at 30 FPS this doubles to 34ms. This is a noticeable difference.

And while it's not as drastic at higher refresh rates of 144hz which many hardcore PC gamers run their games at it still has an impact. Players don't play professional CSGO at 144 just because it looks smoother.

How this translates to FH. When that PK throws out that side light your guard input takes twice as long to register on console as it does on PC. This is precisely why there are people posting that they struggle to block PK lights on Console but don't have problems on PC. It's also why the competitive for honor reddit seems to be in agreement that the game should be balanced separately between PC and Console.

I've time stamped and linked a video that goes over these concepts well (10:36 talks about input lag):

Finally I'll end with the anecdote that I own xbox, wiiu and game on PC. I have extensive experience on all of them.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
What's your Steam? Add me I'm Mercsin. And on Uplay you can import Steam friends

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
If I had the time, I would create a montage video of hazard kills with this song playing in the background...

Unfortunately this is not true. FPS has a significant effect on input lag. This is scientifically provable. a 60 hz monitor running at 60 FPS has a minimum theoretical input lag of 17ms, at 30 FPS this doubles to 34ms. This is a noticeable difference.

And while it's not as drastic at higher refresh rates of 144hz which many hardcore PC gamers run their games at it still has an impact. Players don't play professional CSGO at 144 just because it looks smoother.

How this translates to FH. When that PK throws out that side light your guard input takes twice as long to register on console as it does on PC. This is precisely why there are people posting that they struggle to block PK lights on Console but don't have problems on PC. It's also why the competitive for honor reddit seems to be in agreement that the game should be balanced separately between PC and Console.

I've time stamped and linked a video that goes over these concepts well (10:36 talks about input lag):

Finally I'll end with the anecdote that I own xbox, wiiu and game on PC. I have extensive experience on all of them.
Saying double misrepresents it so much. 1 doubled is a lot less than 1000000 doubled. the difference between 60fps and 30fps is pretty damn small at a max difference of 16ms.There are so many other factors that have a greater influence that this is pretty irrelevant. People struggle on console because of the dead zone and because most play on old slow tvs. The real problem that should be looked at is how bad online lag can effect a move.

I implore any console player thats having trouble blocking 500ms on reaction to go and try against an offline bot preferably a valk because she will do lights a lot more often than a pk. Youll find that it is significantly easier and this is because online can severely effect how fast moves come out.

technically no but its so minimal especially in comparison to other things that its irrelevant.

technically 60fps you can have up to a 16ms delay and console you can have up to a 33ms delay thats where you get the 'double' that the other guy was talking about

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
To me, the most important difference between 30fps and 60fps is responsiveness. 30fps games are less responsive because of the less frequent display update. But some games can take advantage of 30fps like Dark Souls 1 where you can do the Soul duplicate exploit easier in 30fps because you have less room for error.
In For Honor's case, 60fps is preferrable to me because switching guards requires good responsive input.

To me, the most important difference between 30fps and 60fps is responsiveness. 30fps games are less responsive because of the less frequent display update. But some games can take advantage of 30fps like Dark Souls 1 where you can do the Soul duplicate exploit easier in 30fps because you have less room for error.
In For Honor's case, 60fps is preferrable to me because switching guards requires good responsive input.
Again the difference between 30fps and 60ps is so tiny and minimal its just asinine to say that the game is completely different. The difference is less than 16ms in a game where the fastest lights are 500ms.

GAV

Again the difference between 30fps and 60ps is so tiny and minimal its just asinine to say that the game is completely different. The difference is less than 16ms in a game where the fastest lights are 500ms.
You know how much we can do in 500ms? There's five ... hundred ... of ... them ... It's at least 16X better... Bruh.

PC Master Race 4ever!!! 3rd World Coconut Power over electricity any day!

Last edited:
technically no but its so minimal especially in comparison to other things that its irrelevant.

technically 60fps you can have up to a 16ms delay and console you can have up to a 33ms delay thats where you get the 'double' that the other guy was talking about

It's relevant and it's noticeable this has been proven time and again. There's no sense in trying to convince you otherwise, people will believe what they want to believe. If you notice the delay in monitors you will absolutely notice the difference between 30 FPS and 60FPS. Likewise with people used to playing at 120 and dropping to 60.

For those of you who have sat there and played MK or Injustice on your TV then gone to tournament and played on one of the tournament monitors the difference you feel there is very similar to the difference in input responsiveness related to FPS. It's not something you necessarily see with the naked eye but if you go from 60 to 30 you will absolutely feel the difference in input response.

None of this is a secret go out and do your research people. Gears 4 and Halo 5 both use dynamic resolution scaling aka they dynamically reduce the resolution when needed in order to maintain 60 FPS. There is a reason they chose to sacrifice graphical fidelity in order to keep a 60 FPS base. If you honestly think 30 FPS is irrelevant ask yourself why MS went out of their way and made sacrifices to their graphics in order to make their 2 flagship esports titles run at 60?

It's relevant and it's noticeable this has been proven time and again. There's no sense in trying to convince you otherwise, people will believe what they want to believe. If you notice the delay in monitors you will absolutely notice the difference between 30 FPS and 60FPS. Likewise with people used to playing at 120 and dropping to 60.

For those of you who have sat there and played MK or Injustice on your TV then gone to tournament and played on one of the tournament monitors the difference you feel there is very similar to the difference in input responsiveness related to FPS. It's not something you necessarily see with the naked eye but if you go from 60 to 30 you will absolutely feel the difference in input response.

None of this is a secret go out and do your research people. Gears 4 and Halo 5 both use dynamic resolution scaling aka they dynamically reduce the resolution when needed in order to maintain 60 FPS. There is a reason they chose to sacrifice graphical fidelity in order to keep a 60 FPS base. If you honestly think 30 FPS is irrelevant ask yourself why MS went out of their way and made sacrifices to their graphics in order to make their 2 flagship esports titles run at 60?
I mean irrelevant from a gameplay perspective not a 'feel' perspective. The moves in for honor are either really fast or really slow and so a potential 16ms difference isnt going to change anything unless you mess up or your not a high level player. Online, character choice, tv choice and controller choice are all much more relevant than the difference between 30fps and 60fps. You dont need many if at all any precise inputs in for honor and so the delay is irrelevant.

60fps is more sought after because of the fluidity not because of the 16ms difference

omooba

fear the moobs
this was actually pretty funny

but i don't think the problem is gamers i think the problem is people. really doesn't matter what genre as soon as you add competition and emotional creatures you get a healthy amount of ... well... scrubs. doesn't even have anything to do with their actual skill. could be one of the best in the world and still scrub out at some point. look at lowtiergod... lol i mean look at PL considered the best at one point but still raged out at forever king. how many controllers has pig broken?

honestly i don't even think it's a problem or it's killing video games i think it makes it more fun

and now i remember why i came in this thread. where is the archive for for honor at final round? link please?

GAV

this was actually pretty funny

but i don't think the problem is gamers i think the problem is people. really doesn't matter what genre as soon as you add competition and emotional creatures you get a healthy amount of ... well... scrubs. doesn't even have anything to do with their actual skill. could be one of the best in the world and still scrub out at some point. look at lowtiergod... lol i mean look at PL considered the best at one point but still raged out at forever king. how many controllers has pig broken?

honestly i don't even think it's a problem or it's killing video games i think it makes it more fun

and now i remember why i came in this thread. where is the archive for for honor at final round? link please?
I haven't been able to find that either. When @CrazyFingers hops on, maybe he will be able to provide a link.

I mean irrelevant from a gameplay perspective not a 'feel' perspective. The moves in for honor are either really fast or really slow and so a potential 16ms difference isnt going to change anything unless you mess up or your not a high level player. Online, character choice, tv choice and controller choice are all much more relevant than the difference between 30fps and 60fps. You dont need many if at all any precise inputs in for honor and so the delay is irrelevant.

60fps is more sought after because of the fluidity not because of the 16ms difference
I don't agree, again I can see there's no changing your mind. That's fine, ultimately whether you agree or not does not impact my experience in the game.

I don't agree, again I can see there's no changing your mind. That's fine, ultimately whether you agree or not does not impact my experience in the game.
But you agreeing or disagreeing effects me thats the problem. These people saying that this game should be changed on console are completely ludicrous and are going to ruin the game.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
No, it should not be changed for console, however tourney standard should be PC
I think it will be pretty hard for the tourney standard to be PC, unless it's online only tournaments. Also unless Ubisoft does a tournament series themselves. The FGC couldn't handle a side For Honor tournament done on PC's, lol.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I mean realistically they could just nerf every move on console to be 16ms slower, lol.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
But why? The only reasoning would be that its more pretty to look at.
Except it's not. I don't think you understand how 60fps affects responsiveness in video games. It's not about looking better or smoother. It's about your character doing what you want it to do as soon as possible of when you do it. In games where quick reactions is a skill factor, this is important. Otherwise, might as well do FGC events online using MK Deception netplay.

I think it will be pretty hard for the tourney standard to be PC, unless it's online only tournaments. Also unless Ubisoft does a tournament series themselves. The FGC couldn't handle a side For Honor tournament done on PC's, lol.
This is kind of true but if the turnout for For Honor is low, it wouldn't hurt to just have 2 PCs. Minimum specs for FH is very low anyway.

Another solution is if Ubi decides to sacrifice visual fidelity in exchange for solid 60fps on consoles like what all other fighters do. Then budget wouldn't be an issue anymore