What's new

For Honor

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I ran into a 4 man group in Dominion that all had a 108 gear score and went 2-2 over 4 matches before they bounced. One was hella salty and told me my gear score couldn' t save me. He was pretty good though and I get that a 108 Conqueror is frustrating to go up against, so I'm not outing him. Just trying to illustrate how the games were back-and-forth intense. One of them has a GT of Jos Pr *something* and he had some great moves with his Orochi. He showed me that his zone attack hits 360 degrees and even reaches behind him and that the Orochi can land his 2 hit high twice on a knockdown. Games were hella fun.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I ran into a 4 man group in Dominion that all had a 108 gear score and went 2-2 over 4 matches before they bounced. One was hella salty and told me my gear score couldn' t save me. He was pretty good though and I get that a 108 Conqueror is frustrating to go up against, so I'm not outing him. Just trying to illustrate how the games were back-and-forth intense. One of them has a GT of Jos Pr *something* and he had some great moves with his Orochi. He showed me that his zone attack hits 360 degrees and even reaches behind him and that the Orochi can land his 2 hit high twice on a knockdown. Games were hella fun.
I believe you said you were on XBL earlier in this thread? If so, feel free to add me. I have a long way to go before I'd consider myself even remotely good at this game, but my buddy and I are always looking for someone to play with and/or learn from. My handle on XBL is the same as it is on here - John Grizzly. I play Shugoki and Valkyrie. My buddy plays Conquerer and a bit of Nobushi. He's not very versed in fighting games, but he's learning.

Reactions: GAV
I was watching some top players on PC Brawl last night on fairlight excalibers stream.

It was really interesting they did the courtesy of warning their opponents that they would not be playing the standard 1v1 duel take turns game. They played to win and they switched targets often they CC'd when necessary communicated revenge and one shots etc. Basically the removed the built in social construct that a lot of the community has put on 2v2 and played to win. I found the gameplay to be highly skilled and really interesting. Get a knock down with guardian shield bash and time it for a double heavy with you and your partner, or your partner gets guardbroken by pk and you stop the triple stab. They came up against some salty people who were very against doing something out of the norm, but there were also some teams that actually beat them.

Anyways what's most interesting to me is how they completely changed the meta game by doing that and how it's still very interesting and skillful to do. Playing to win mentality. This construct the community has created is akin to promising not to use X move in a fighting game, it simply doesn't make sense. It also made me wonder how viable competitive play in For Honor is in the 4V4 modes.

GAV

I believe you said you were on XBL earlier in this thread? If so, feel free to add me. I have a long way to go before I'd consider myself even remotely good at this game, but my buddy and I are always looking for someone to play with and/or learn from. My handle on XBL is the same as it is on here - John Grizzly. I play Shugoki and Valkyrie. My buddy plays Conquerer and a bit of Nobushi. He's not very versed in fighting games, but he's learning.
We're already friends on XBL. I'm not really good either considering how much I play. I mostly play Dominion and rarely ever lose Dominion matches when my brother is on to team up with. I win most of them on my own too. I'll move you from friends to favorites.

My GT is GAV60. My bro's GT is WolfRR1985. I play Conq. My bro plays Orochi and Raider.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I was watching some top players on PC Brawl last night on fairlight excalibers stream.

It was really interesting they did the courtesy of warning their opponents that they would not be playing the standard 1v1 duel take turns game. They played to win and they switched targets often they CC'd when necessary communicated revenge and one shots etc. Basically the removed the built in social construct that a lot of the community has put on 2v2 and played to win. I found the gameplay to be highly skilled and really interesting. Get a knock down with guardian shield bash and time it for a double heavy with you and your partner, or your partner gets guardbroken by pk and you stop the triple stab. They came up against some salty people who were very against doing something out of the norm, but there were also some teams that actually beat them.

Anyways what's most interesting to me is how they completely changed the meta game by doing that and how it's still very interesting and skillful to do. Playing to win mentality. This construct the community has created is akin to promising not to use X move in a fighting game, it simply doesn't make sense. It also made me wonder how viable competitive play in For Honor is in the 4V4 modes.
I think the game just doesn't have the depth for 1v1. In many ways it feels more like WoW arena then it does a fighting game. The competitive scene seems to be shifting toward 2v2 and 4v4, which is good. The main thing they need to address is the ability to run away forever, that's the thing that is holding the game back from seriously being competitive. All you can do now is things like make up vague rules and/or make people only play on one area of a map as a workaround.

GAV

I think the game just doesn't have the depth for 1v1. In many ways it feels more like WoW arena then it does a fighting game. The competitive scene seems to be shifting toward 2v2 and 4v4, which is good. The main thing they need to address is the ability to run away forever, that's the thing that is holding the game back from seriously being competitive. All you can do now is things like make up vague rules and/or make people only play on one area of a map as a workaround.
Easy fix - give players moving toward other players a very slight movement boost. Make it just enough to make running away for any length of time punishable.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Easy fix - give players moving toward other players a very slight movement boost. Make it just enough to make running away for any length of time punishable.
This wouldn't fix being able to avoid fighting by playing ring-around-the-rosie on some objects, like the big cart in the middle of some areas, some pits, etc. Assassins can avoid fighting while locked on in these, so they aren't actually "running" away even.

It's a tricky problem to solve. In WoW after X time healing effectiveness is reduced and they give visability powerups to solve similar issues.

I honestly don't know how you solve the issue anything I can think of has ways to exploit it and is flawed. Perhaps have a speed powerup that spawns later in the match towards the center of the arena so if you control that area they either have to come to you or you get the speed powerup and can catch them. But that hurts classes like Lawbringer who want to be around walls and enviro kills, they still have no solution to get the speedy classes to play their game.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
We're already friends on XBL. I'm not really good either considering how much I play. I mostly play Dominion and rarely ever lose Dominion matches when my brother is on to team up with. I win most of them on my own too. I'll move you from friends to favorites.

My GT is GAV60. My bro's GT is WolfRR1985. I play Conq. My bro plays Orochi and Raider.
Damn, my bad, man. I never really look at my list and sometimes forget who I add.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook

aka the way 2v2 was meant to be played in the first place

GAV

Damn, my bad, man. I never really look at my list and sometimes forget who I add.
No worries. I usually don't either.

Having played nothing but Conq, I have picked up some easily applicable techniques to his moveset. Tell your friend...

One ... Sidestep into his shield bash in close quarters. It can slip attacks and mask its startups. Two ... Use lights after the shield bash. They're usually too fast for anyone to react to. Then, you can go into his grinder, guard break, or back off to enjoy the stamina lead hoping he bites to gas him out. One SB, into lights might get him into his offense and a slip into another shield bash once he's into his offense will leave him exhausted and mostly free...

Last edited:

GAV

It's a tricky problem to solve. In WoW after X time healing effectiveness is reduced and they give visability powerups to solve similar issues.

I honestly don't know how you solve the issue anything I can think of has ways to exploit it and is flawed. Perhaps have a speed powerup that spawns later in the match towards the center of the arena so if you control that area they either have to come to you or you get the speed powerup and can catch them. But that hurts classes like Lawbringer who want to be around walls and enviro kills, they still have no solution to get the speedy classes to play their game.
That OP Lawbringer always ruining my perfect solutions.

How about a trip up mechanic? If you run away for so long, your pants fall down and you fall on your face with your keister up in the air. With that, the Lawbringer's and Conqueror's taunts would have a whole new meaning.

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
Sorry I'm late to the party, but I have been playing For Honor since release and I have managed to reach prestige 1 with every character so far.

I use Valkyrie the most and I play on Xbox One, so let me know if anyone would like to run a few duels with me.

GAV

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I have been playing For Honor since release and I have managed to reach prestige 1 with every character so far.

I use Valkyrie the most and I play on Xbox One, so let me know if anyone would like to run a few duels with me.
I'm not big on dueling, but I'm always down for some Dominion. My GT is GAV60.

Red Hood MKX

Mercenary dog
For Honor is a lot more fun than Inj2 imo. Might hardly play inj2 honestly
Yeah i think i might skip inj2 too. I dont have much time to play fighting games now a day with my job social life etc. What i like about for honor is you dont need massive amounts of time dedicated to the game to be a decent player like other games. The meta doesnt go that deep like frame data match up knowledge lab time etc hell there is only 12 characters in the whole game so far. and for a dude who doesnt have much time play games now for honor is a better choice than inj2 at this point

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I will def be giving Inj2 a thorough check out, but I currently have no plans to drop FH. FH seems like a good 'second' game because the level of grinding and practice required (while absolutely there) isnt nearly as bad as most FGs.

GAV

Yeah i think i might skip inj2 too. I dont have much time to play fighting games now a day with my job social life etc. What i like about for honor is you dont need massive amounts of time dedicated to the game to be a decent player like other games. The meta doesnt go that deep like frame data match up knowledge lab time etc hell there is only 12 characters in the whole game so far. and for a dude who doesnt have much time play games now for honor is a better choice than inj2 at this point
I'm not going to skip I2, but I'm not giving up on 4H either.

Too many good games is never a problem.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
This wouldn't fix being able to avoid fighting by playing ring-around-the-rosie on some objects, like the big cart in the middle of some areas, some pits, etc. Assassins can avoid fighting while locked on in these, so they aren't actually "running" away even.
Well that's the thing, I've always thought that the game's main problem is with the maps. They have no business giving players escape options especially in 1v1 or 2v2.

If Ubi really intended people to play "with Honor" they wouldn't have so many maps that allow for "dishonorable" playstyle. Like if 2v2 was really meant for a back-to-back 1v1 mode, the players would have been blocked off from getting to his/her 2nd opponent before killing the first one.

GAV

Well that's the thing, I've always thought that the game's main problem is with the maps. They have no business giving players escape options especially in 1v1 or 2v2.

If Ubi really intended people to play "with Honor" they wouldn't have so many maps that allow for "dishonorable" playstyle. Like if 2v2 was really meant for a back-to-back 1v1 mode, the players would have been blocked off from getting to his/her 2nd opponent before killing the first one.
Embrace the madness. Let your opponents' anger flow through you. You don't yet know the power of the dark side...

Last edited:

GAV

Warden at higher levels of competition isn't easy, but he's really easy to beat up on mid level players with....

I just did this with very similar results in Dominion...