What's new

For Honor

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
As far as ninjas being cool, I think as a kid you find them cool because the way they're portrayed is a bunch of highly trained, elite assassins that do a bunch of cool martial arts. When you're older and learn what they really were, it turns into a sort of "Cheering for the under dog" sort of thing. They, against all odds, decided enough was enough and fought back against their government. You can say what you want about them, but they DID know how to fight (the training for Ninjitsu isn't exactly easy and took guys a lot of time to learn it) and for what they were, they put up a hell of a fight.

Reactions: GAV

CrazyFingers

Tons isn't the word i'd use.

Maybe several dozen, over a few hundred years.

You want people who took out "tons" of Samurai, you want the portugese merchants who killed so many people in dumb honor disputes pushed on to them that trade with foreigners had to be banned til commodore Perry went and busted shit up forcing the backwards japanese to trade with the rest of the world again.
If you are one man fighting eight men and you beat all of them. That's a ton. If you are eight men that beat one man, that's not a ton. It's a matter of perspective. Odds are, Ninjas weren't expected to kill one Samurai lol.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
If you are one man fighting eight men and you beat all of them. That's a ton. If you are eight men that beat one man, that's not a ton. It's a matter of perspective. Odds are, Ninjas weren't expected to kill one Samurai lol.
Ninja were never fighting "samurai" to begin with. Like I said the conceptions of what they are are mostly incorrect. "ninjitsu" as you think of it, didn't exist til hundreds of years after sengoku jidai(warring states era) well long past the age of any ninja.

The only memorable ninja moment in all of japanese history is when one stabbed uesugi kenshin directly in his asshole while he was trying to take a shit, killing him. And even that is of dubious merit and may persist mostly because its a good story.

CrazyFingers

Ninja were never fighting "samurai" to begin with. Like I said the conceptions of what they are are mostly incorrect. "ninjitsu" as you think of it, didn't exist til hundreds of years after sengoku jidai(warring states era) well long past the age of any ninja.

The only memorable ninja moment in all of japanese history is when one stabbed uesugi kenshin directly in his asshole while he was trying to take a shit, killing him. And even that is of dubious merit and may persist mostly because its a good story.
huh, today i learned.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
huh, today i learned.
I am a big history buff, and I had my "Japan rules" phase when I was a younger lad. The more you learn, the more and more myths get shattered.

Also Katanas are like, almost the worst sword ever made by any culture so that's another hard dose of reality for you.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Fun Fact: My favorite sword design is the Egyptian Khopesh.
Kopesh was a great weapon especially for a bronze age society and was thousands of years ahead of its time due to how it was made and how kinetic energy was transfered from blade to target(ie: more of a choppy, less of a slicey). Not til like, thrace and dacia thousands of years later would another culture re-test out the concept.

*ed*

Ok maybe not thousands with an S, but about 800-1000 years~ give or take.

CrazyFingers

Kopesh was a great weapon especially for a bronze age society and was thousands of years ahead of its time due to how it was made and how kinetic energy was transfered from blade to target(ie: more of a choppy, less of a slicey). Not til like, thrace and dacia thousands of years later would another culture re-test out the concept.
Yup. It's a dope ass blade.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Ninjas are the coolest sons of bitches in history after vikings
oh mannnn

dont even get me started on what people think of vikings is wrong.

At least "Knights" are mostly historically accurate, sometimes legitimate "knights in shining armor" like Richard the Lionheart, but mostly brutal murderers and rapists.

Heres a fun fact, with warden/lawbringer having late gothic armor as presented in game, literally no viking or samurai class could even touch them, literally everything would bounce off or shatter in the case of the Katana/nodachi. Only the Shugoki if he was a real human being could do anything cause he could just liquefy their organs by bashing against that armor with the club.

CrazyFingers

oh mannnn

dont even get me started on what people think of vikings is wrong.

At least "Knights" are mostly historically accurate, sometimes legitimate "knights in shining armor" like Richard the Lionheart, but mostly brutal murderers and rapists.

Heres a fun fact, with warden/lawbringer having late gothic armor as presented in game, literally no viking or samurai class could even touch them, literally everything would bounce off or shatter in the case of the Katana/nodachi. Only the Shugoki if he was a real human being could do anything cause he could just liquefy their organs by bashing against that armor with the club.
Oh absolutely. There's a ton of weird time clashes when it comes to this game.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
So basically, if real life. Shugoki wins of all the classes, cause da big guy always wins and life isn't fair.If this monstrous 7 foot tall 500 pound man existed, just lol at the concept of "blocking" his attack without shattering your arms and breaking your sternum.

*ed*

Skill can beat size, to a point, and that point goes out the window against actual giants heh.

CrazyFingers

So basically, if real life. Shugoki wins of all the classes, cause da big guy always wins and life isn't fair.If this monstrous 7 foot tall 500 pound man existed, just lol at the concept of "blocking" his attack without shattering your arms and breaking your sternum.
Plus with that weapon? One of the heads you can have for the Kanabo is made of metal. Not wood with metal studs, it is 100% metal head. That thing is going to crush your armor and make your armor into a wearable iron maiden.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
As far as ninjas being cool, I think as a kid you find them cool because the way they're portrayed is a bunch of highly trained, elite assassins that do a bunch of cool martial arts. When you're older and learn what they really were, it turns into a sort of "Cheering for the under dog" sort of thing. They, against all odds, decided enough was enough and fought back against their government. You can say what you want about them, but they DID know how to fight (the training for Ninjitsu isn't exactly easy and took guys a lot of time to learn it) and for what they were, they put up a hell of a fight.
Having sparred with Ninjitsu black belts on a few occasions, I can honestly say they share one thing. They're very unorthodox. They feign weakness or confusion and pull you into exchanges where they know exactly what to do. Their targets are generally the eyes, throat, forearms, floating ribs, inner thigh, and shins. Even those that know what they're doing consistently have a "what are they doing?" moment against high level ninjitsu practicioners.

CrazyFingers

Having sparred with Ninjitsu black belts on a few occasions, I can honestly say they share one thing. They're very unorthodox. They feign weakness or confusion and pull you into exchanges where they know exactly what to do. Their targets are generally the eyes, throat, forearms, floating ribs, inner thigh, and shins. Even those that know what they're doing consistently have a "what are they doing?" moment against high level ninjitsu practicioners.
So they're online scorpions that are maniac but know what they're doing lol.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
So they're online scorpions that are maniac but know what they're doing lol.
Pretty much sums it up. I tossed one only to realize I was being swept and caught a knee to the solar plexus because he pulled me into it. It was to his advantage because we were on a mat.

navaroNe

Nobody's afraid of Bruce Wayne
Well then you are old enough to now know everything you know about ninjas is wrong. They were from mostly peasant stock and all the kicken rad ninja weapons were just re-purposed farming tools. They were expendable fodder and not elite soldiers.

Roman soldiers though, well they conquered the known world they don't exactly need fairly tales to make them cool now do they!?
Yes I am. I should clarify though that I like ninjas as they are portrayed, not so much as they really were. That's actually why I got into MK, because I thought the "ninjas" were badass when I was like 7 years old